Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
I rewatched Ironclad, and it has me in a mood. CineD, recommend me films with similarly brutal ancient, medieval, or early modern period violence (Centurion has already been seen).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
At some point someone in this thread recommended The Way of the Gun, and I just wanted to say thanks. On top of a crazy convoluted plot, the violence continually ratchets up until the end of the movie, which has an incredible gun fight.

Also, how many movies have Ryan Phillipe beating the every loving poo poo out of a foul mouthed Sarah Silverman?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

penismightier posted:

Give Medicine for Melancholy a try!

Exactly the feel I was going for, but fell a bit flat in execution, acting, and writing. Decent but nothing special imo.

Skwirl posted:

All The Real Girls,

While very Hollywood in its approach (some of the set pieces i.e. [spoiler]the embrace on the bowling alley, the race track stuff were silly and it hit a lot of standard beats, the way it was shot with extreme color grading was disappointing), it was a good movie even if not quite what I was looking for.

Will check out other suggestions from the thread, thanks all!

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

Loomer posted:

I rewatched Ironclad, and it has me in a mood. CineD, recommend me films with similarly brutal ancient, medieval, or early modern period violence (Centurion has already been seen).

I suppose it depends on how 'realistic' you want your violence or movie. Excalibur and 300 are both reasonably brutal but with a completely different feel than Ironclad based on what I've seen of that movie.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Loomer posted:

The Black Death was pretty brutal I think, it's more of a horror film than an action movie though.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Loomer posted:

Solomon Kane

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Loomer posted:

Doomsday.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

I'm looking for films that are about heavy drinking, preferably where it's not that glamorous. Something like

Husbands (I've yet to watch Mikey and Nicky though I hear it's similar)
The Last Detail
Sideways (preferably a bit darker than this)
The American Dreamer
Withnail and I

docs are fine to.

justcola fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Nov 24, 2012

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

justcola posted:

I'm looking for films that are about heavy drinking, preferably where it's not that glamorous.
Ones that come in mind:

Barfly (love the dialogue in this one)
Trees Lounge
Young Adult
Everything Must Go
Leaving Las Vegas (might be too obvious)

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
After rewatching The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford and The Proposition, I'm in the mood for more Westerns that are in the same vein - no heroics, stark, and brutal.

EDIT

Alhazred posted:

Check out a guy called Sergio Leone.

Probably should have mentioned that I'm a huge Leone fan and have everything he directed. That's not really the tone I'm going for. The violence in his films is kind of light-hearted compared to the movies I mentioned.

I'll definitely give Unforgiven another watch. It's been a few years.

MeatwadIsGod fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Nov 24, 2012

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

MeatwadIsGod posted:

After rewatching The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford and The Proposition, I'm in the mood for more Westerns that are in the same vein - no heroics, stark, and brutal.

Unforgiven is king.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

E:nm

Alhazred fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Nov 24, 2012

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...

MeatwadIsGod posted:

EDIT

Probably should have mentioned that I'm a huge Leone fan and have everything he directed. That's not really the tone I'm going for. The violence in his films is kind of light-hearted compared to the movies I mentioned.

You should check out some Italian Westerns. The Big Gundown, Django, Django Kill.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

MeatwadIsGod posted:

EDIT

Definitely watch The Wild Bunch, even if it's an obvious choice.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Wyatt Earp has some heroics but nowhere near to the ludicrous degree of Tombstone. Earp's actually portrayed as a bit of an rear end in a top hat.

Open Range is another one that's got a bit more emphasis on the gritty than idyllic. Even so, neither are really the grim dark levels of the two films you mention but the only one I can think of that is is probably Unforgiven and it's been mentioned already.

You could also give Appaloosa a go. It's not great but there's a Western drought as of late, aside from say True Grit and 3:10 to Yuma as of late and it's relatively dark.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Oh there's also 'Doc', Frank Perry's 1971 revisionist western about how much of a dick Wyatt Earp was. A little clunky but there's some really powerful moments and the whole thing has a dirty edge that's too often absent in the genre.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

kuddles posted:

Ones that come in mind:

Barfly

Barfly is fantastic, orders of magnitude better than the more recent Bukowski adaptation Factotum. Possibly Mickey Rourke's finest performance.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
High Noon technically has some heroics but it's also quite stark and brutal.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

Professor Clumsy posted:

You should check out some Italian Westerns. The Big Gundown, Django, Django Kill.

On that subject: are all of these worth seeing? Trying to see how much of a priority I need to make them. Django is high on the list.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

justcola posted:

I'm looking for films that are about heavy drinking, preferably where it's not that glamorous. Something like

Husbands (I've yet to watch Mikey and Nicky though I hear it's similar)
The Last Detail
Sideways (preferably a bit darker than this)
The American Dreamer
Withnail and I

docs are fine to.

Lost Weekend
Sideways (might be more light hearted than your looking for)

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

ClydeUmney posted:

On that subject: are all of these worth seeing? Trying to see how much of a priority I need to make them. Django is high on the list.

The Great Silence is one of the best movies ever made.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

penismightier posted:

The Great Silence is one of the best movies ever made.

Thanks - I'll make it a priority. I know nothing about any of them - kind of love going in blind.

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
'insert witty Family Guy/ Futurama/ Simpsons/ Little fucking Britian etc quote here'

doctor 7 posted:

Wyatt Earp has some heroics but nowhere near to the ludicrous degree of Tombstone. Earp's actually portrayed as a bit of an rear end in a top hat.

Open Range is another one that's got a bit more emphasis on the gritty than idyllic. Even so, neither are really the grim dark levels of the two films you mention but the only one I can think of that is is probably Unforgiven and it's been mentioned already.

You could also give Appaloosa a go. It's not great but there's a Western drought as of late, aside from say True Grit and 3:10 to Yuma as of late and it's relatively dark.

I'd reccommend Seraphim Falls, it's a beautiful looking film, with only a bare handful of characters but a stark but brilliant storyline

monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan

justcola posted:

I'm looking for films that are about heavy drinking, preferably where it's not that glamorous.

Shakes the Clown

Grabbers

Looking for sci fi recommendations from say mid 90s onwards, more interested in solid art direction than plot. Preferably set in a spaceship. Prometheus, Solaris, Event Horizon, Sunshine, Pandorum, that sort of thing...

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

monkey posted:

Shakes the Clown

Grabbers

Looking for sci fi recommendations from say mid 90s onwards, more interested in solid art direction than plot. Preferably set in a spaceship. Prometheus, Solaris, Event Horizon, Sunshine, Pandorum, that sort of thing...

Monsters isn't set in a spaceship but some of the environmental design was great, especially for a low budget indie. More than once I wondered how the hell they got that shot.
2046 is also not on a spaceship and I'm not 100% sure it's science fiction but it is a phenomenal film with great design.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

monkey posted:

Shakes the Clown

Grabbers

Pitch Black

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

monkey posted:

Moon if you've not already seen it.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Thanks for the recommendations.

quote:

Beyond the Black Rainbow
Cube
Dark City
Skyline

None of these are set on space ships but look pretty slick. If you wanted to go before the mid 90s, Andromeda Strain has a similar look to the other films you mentioned (and THX)

quote:

Way Of the Gun
Badlands
The Road
Bring Me The Head Of Alfredo Garcia

All of these are sort of westerns set in modern days so maybe give them a try? Otherwise read Blood Meridian.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Looking for some recommendations on murder mysteries, with a 12 Little Indians-style "people keep getting killed off, it has to be one of us, who's doing it?" setup. I'm trying to think of other examples beyond Clue and Mindhunters and drawing a major blank.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Power of Pecota posted:

Looking for some recommendations on murder mysteries, with a 12 Little Indians-style "people keep getting killed off, it has to be one of us, who's doing it?" setup. I'm trying to think of other examples beyond Clue and Mindhunters and drawing a major blank.

The Name of the Rose

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Power of Pecota posted:

Was going to refer you to an earlier request but that was from you. The "hard to find" movie I recommended before is on youtube now though: The Ninth Guest

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Schweinhund posted:

Was going to refer you to an earlier request but that was from you. The "hard to find" movie I recommended before is on youtube now though: The Ninth Guest

I thought it would be worth asking again since I specified a few things the last time (the people are in a mysterious place, they don't know who each other are) that I'm not really looking for now. :shobon:

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Power of Pecota posted:

Identity
Murder By Death (as a parody)

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Power of Pecota posted:

I was surprised by how much I enjoyed Devil.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I'm looking at Almost Famous and there's a director's cut that's over 40 minutes longer than the theatrical edition, bringing it to almost three hours of runtime. Do the changes bog down the pacing or make the movie better? I'm a bit iffy because I've watched a ton of director's cuts that were very, very tedious.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

I'm looking for some pot-apocalyptic themed movies for my brothers party that he's throwing. I've got the Mad Max stuff and A Boy and His Dog but I am drawing a complete blank on other movies of that style. Can you goons recommend me some other good ones?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Ramadu posted:

I'm looking for some pot-apocalyptic themed movies for my brothers party that he's throwing. I've got the Mad Max stuff and A Boy and His Dog but I am drawing a complete blank on other movies of that style. Can you goons recommend me some other good ones?

Twelve Monkeys
La Jetée
Children of Men
Escape from New York
Idiocracy
WALL•E
THX 1138
Delicatessen

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Ramadu posted:

The Road.

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000

Ramadu posted:

Akira
The Book of Eli
Doomsday
Planet of the Apes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GODS NOT REAL
Sep 25, 2012

YOU STUPID BUNNIES
I'm looking for some great thrillers. Something in the vein of Marathon Man would be cool but I'm really not picky about sub-genres. Thanks in advance.

• Locked thread