Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005
I'm not surprised at the lackluster response the launch has had, mainly because I feel that the past bunch of console launches have all pretty much been the same way. It took a year or two for the 360 and PS3 to start building a good library, the Wii's flagship launch titles were a pack-in (Wii Sports) and a game originally made with the Gamecube in mind (Twilight Princess), and Sony and Nintendo's handhelds have all taken a while to find their footing, with the Vita still struggling. I just get the feeling that companies are rushing consoles out the door to try and beat the others to the punch, and as a result I'm holding off on the Wii U until Rayman Legends comes out, and will probably hold off on whatever the next Microsoft and Sony consoles are until there's more worth playing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar
Honestly the only compelling launch games that I want are NSMBU and Nintendolang. I'm tired of zombies as a thing so ZombiU is out, I already have Super Scribblenaughts for the DS, and refuse to pay $60 for 360 games you can find for $15 on other consoles. I was looking forward to Rayman Legends and Wonderful 101 for launch but they're not coming until March. Aside from that, there isn't a single "must have" title for the WiiU that's interesting to me.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Louisgod posted:

Honestly the only compelling launch games that I want are NSMBU and Nintendolang. I'm tired of zombies as a thing so ZombiU is out, I already have Super Scribblenaughts for the DS, and refuse to pay $60 for 360 games you can find for $15 on other consoles. I was looking forward to Rayman Legends and Wonderful 101 for launch but they're not coming until March. Aside from that, there isn't a single "must have" title for the WiiU that's interesting to me.

Yeah, I'm basically only buying mine next month for Mario, and maybe ZombiU. I don't even care about Nintendoland, Pikmin or The Wonderful 101.

But I am a crazy person who has to own every console, at least for a while.

When you transfer Wii stuff to the U, does it also transfer game saves, or should I stop playing Mario Galaxy now and restart it on the Wii U?

Gendo
Feb 25, 2001

His place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

Louisgod posted:

Yeah, it's gonna be pretty barren for awhile. Unless you're going to have a pretty constant stream of people to make Nintendoland fun or you think you'll get a ton of replay out of NSMBU you're better off waiting.

I still don't have all those loving star coins though so I'm good for the moment.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

theflyingorc posted:

The thing that baffles me is why Nintendo made so many of the standard units - It's obviously inferior to the other one and presumably less profitable (NintendoLand and a larger hard drive can't account for more than $50, right?). I had assumed that the only reason it even existed was so they could say "Two Ninety-Nine" in commercials. Isn't that what Sony and Microsoft did at the last system launch?

The Basic is kind of weird in that it's not made for the savvy digital consumer, and yet it lacks the casual-oriented pack-in. It definitely does feel more like a springboard to say "And get all this stuff for just $50 extra!" rather than anyone's actual preferred model.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar
Really the thing that the WiiU should be used for by the majority of people in this thread is Xenoblade. If you haven't bought it yet then gently caress you, what is wrong with you, you are literal garbage.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

theflyingorc posted:

The thing that baffles me is why Nintendo made so many of the standard units

It's really incredible. I got my Deluxe at midnight at a Wal-Mart. There was a mom there who wanted to buy one for her family, she had come at midnight to be sure to have it by Christmas. She desperately wanted a Deluxe but she had no idea what the difference was between them.

Does anyone know if Nintendo makes more/less on one version of the console over the other? I could see that being a reason to make the basic model, if they make more money per unit on it.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

I'm buying the Basic because: I don't want Nintendoland, I don't use cradles or stands, and I prefer white electronics over black. I'm also not downloading a single thing off the Shop until Nintendo ties games to user names instead of consoles, and 32 GB isn't enough for as many full retail games as I buy per generation anyway.

I'd rather spend that extra $50 on a real game as opposed to all that junk I don't want. But yeah, I agree more people fit into the Deluxe model, which is probably why you see more Basics on shelves-- more people are buying the Deluxe. But there totally are reasons "hardcore" people might choose a Basic one instead.

Gendo
Feb 25, 2001

His place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

Louisgod posted:

Really the thing that the WiiU should be used for by the majority of people in this thread is Xenoblade. If you haven't bought it yet then gently caress you, what is wrong with you, you are literal garbage.
I'm afraid playing JRPGs gives off a scent women can detect.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Gendo posted:

Ladies will dig your Xenoblade scent, guaranteed.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Soul Glo posted:

I'm buying the Basic because: I don't want Nintendoland, I don't use cradles or stands, and I prefer white electronics over black. I'm also not downloading a single thing off the Shop until Nintendo ties games to user names instead of consoles, and 32 GB isn't enough for as many full retail games as I buy per generation anyway.

I'd rather spend that extra $50 on a real game as opposed to all that junk I don't want. But yeah, I agree more people fit into the Deluxe model, which is probably why you see more Basics on shelves-- more people are buying the Deluxe. But there totally are reasons "hardcore" people might choose a Basic one instead.

It's weird that you don't want Nintendoland so strongly it is pretty good.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Louisgod posted:

I've been using mine to play Monster World IV lately. I'll finish Xenoblade eventually, honest. :(

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

theflyingorc posted:

It's weird that you don't want Nintendoland so strongly it is pretty good.

That's weird? It's a 12 mini-game collection, and I play couch co-op maybe once a year. My friends typically only play Call of Duty, and usually only online.

I'm fine with other people liking it, but I watched some of it on a Giant Bomb Quick Look, and it looked boring. The only thing in that Deluxe set I want is the vertical console stand, and I can't see paying an extra $50 for that.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

Gendo posted:

They usually do, can't fault you there. Xenoblade won't.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Why the heck is Xenoblade a million dollars when I google it? Gamestop has it at normal price though? :psyduck:

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

Jet Set Jettison posted:

Why the heck is Xenoblade a million dollars when I google it? Gamestop has it at normal price though? :psyduck:

Because it was a Gamestop exclusive so people are trying to flip it based on that. GET IT NOW FOR THAT PRICE BEFORE IT BECOMES TOO loving HARD TO FIND.

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

It's just not the same without widescreen.

thefncrow posted:

I have to ask, do you not currently have a 360 or PS3 that could otherwise play Arkham City? I just mention it because both those versions don't suffer from the framerate choppiness that the WiiU Arkham City does, and at this point, you can tend to find the Game of the Year edition for those versions for $10-20 instead of paying $60 for the WiiU version with framerate issues.

I don't, or I would have been playing Arkham City from day 1. Are the framerate stutters bad enough to make the Armored Edition an objectively bad game? I mean, I would expect some hiccups considering it was ported to an unfamiliar platform by a different dev team, but unless they make the game unplayable, I won't make a fuss about them. As long as I can play without game-breaking issues and enjoy the new gamepad features pretend to be Batman.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Rake Arms posted:

I don't, or I would have been playing Arkham City from day 1. Are the framerate stutters bad enough to make the Armored Edition an objectively bad game? I mean, I would expect some hiccups considering it was ported to an unfamiliar platform by a different dev team, but unless they make the game unplayable, I won't make a fuss about them. As long as I can play without game-breaking issues and enjoy the new gamepad features pretend to be Batman.

If I didn't have any other choice, I would buy the Wii U version. Just know it ain't the best version, but I haven't heard "unplayable" yet when hearing about the framerate.

As always, you can go to Giant Bomb for a Quick Look to see for yourself. They play the beginning, so there shouldn't be too many spoilers.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Louisgod posted:

Because it was a Gamestop exclusive so people are trying to flip it based on that. GET IT NOW FOR THAT PRICE BEFORE IT BECOMES TOO loving HARD TO FIND.

Snag another for a friend or loved one down the line. You won't want to risk sharing your only copy. Also threaten Nintendo to make it it launch Virtual Console Title. I want this bastard toilet-able.

Gendo
Feb 25, 2001

Man, $50 for a Wii game? I dunno man.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Rake Arms posted:

It's very playable. It still looks great, and the new silly default outfit can be swapped with a code (not a cheat) to look like any dlc outfit ranging from a sad old man to animated "Batman". Some things are pretty boneheaded like the inverted motion controls for the batarang but you can change them and even remove that feature entirely. Only Gripe I have with the game is the game itself.
I want a true Solomon Grundy experience not the hulk drat it!

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Releasing Wii and Gamecube games on the virtual console up-rezzed and playable on the tablet might be evil and lazy but it would also be the greatest thing ever, at that point I might as well just give Nintendo my credit card and let them charge me whenever.

Wii games are going to pretty much disappear, especially ones like Xenoblade, so it'd be a logical thing to do.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Gendo posted:

I haven't felt compelled to beat a jrpg since Vagrant Story.
Xeno Delivered in spades. And the Voice work is from an alternate dimension where BBC produced a japanese game.
http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/wii/xenoblade/0/0
I can't wait to see what this team can produce with a stronger system.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Gendo posted:

It has more content than your average sixty dollar blockbuster. Seriously I logged 80 hours just going through the plot, and the gameplay is solid-to-great throughout.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

It's worth mentioning that Xenoblade plays like a singleplayer MMORPG.

I found that, and the muddy textures, to be a turn off. The story (what I played of it, anyway) was cool, though.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

Junkie Disease posted:

Snag another for a friend or loved one down the line. You won't want to risk sharing your only copy. Also threaten Nintendo to make it it launch Virtual Console Title. I want this bastard toilet-able.

I already have my PAL copy and two NTSC copies. :thumbsup:

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I've tried to get into Xenoblade, but just cant seem to. Maybe its because im shallow, and its graphics really look dated to me. Maybe it's the voice acting, or how the characters seem kind of corny.

I do have Monster Hunter Tri and Okami to try, i'm sure one of those will tickle my fancy.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Keep in mind that if you don't take Monster Hunter online, you are literally playing a singleplayer MMORPG.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
I didn't realize Xenoblade was a Gamestop exclusive. That seems...odd.

Anyway, I ordered it so I don't have to pay a million dollars for it once it's super rare. Really hoping it's not waggle-y and requires lots of pointing at the screen. I also haven't played a JPRG since FF9. Let's hope I didn't waste 50 bucks.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Monster Hunter is not a MMO.

axeil posted:

I didn't realize Xenoblade was a Gamestop exclusive. That seems...odd.

Anyway, I ordered it so I don't have to pay a million dollars for it once it's super rare. Really hoping it's not waggle-y and requires lots of pointing at the screen. I also haven't played a JPRG since FF9. Let's hope I didn't waste 50 bucks.

No waggling, no pointing. It's a Gamestop exclusive because it allowed NOA to maximise the amount of advertising they could wring out of a game with a tiny print run.

Goldwarf
May 24, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Chronojam posted:

Keep in mind that if you don't take Monster Hunter online, you are literally playing a singleplayer MMORPG.

Uh, no, this is not even remotely true.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Chronojam posted:

I've heard great things about it, supposedly being one of the best online console games.

I took a quick peek at the online mode and felt a bit overwhelmed with all the different options. All these different cities and servers. I joined a room that had 3 other players, but I couldn't find them, and nobody was chatting. I felt like a lost newb.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

ChocNitty posted:

I've heard great things about it, supposedly being one of the best online console games.

I took a quick peek at the online mode and felt a bit overwhelmed with all the different options. All these different cities and servers. I joined a room that had 3 other players, but I couldn't find them, and nobody was chatting. I felt like a lost newb.

All those people are just robots, that's why people are saying it's not an MMO.

Actually, they were probably already launched into an instance. The US release is limited to 4-man lobbies because of the WiiSpeak integration, making the questing and party system appear a litle redundant. Sit around and wait for them to come back.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Chronojam posted:

You've never played monster hunter have you?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Monster Hunter reminds me: one game I reeeeeeally wish would show up on Wii U is Phantasy Star Online 2. I really don't see it happening as it's a free to play game coming out on PC next year.

But the GamePad was MADE for PSO. :sigh:.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Bobnumerotres posted:

You've never played monster hunter have you?

We're talking about the one where you craft the traps and slay the jaggies and get the weird shark-sword thing right? Blue mushrooms and herbs for healing potions or something like that. Lotta people getting upset about calling it an MMO apparently, but we're not ever going to get the real PC MMO version so get mad about that instead.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Soul Glo posted:

Monster Hunter reminds me: one game I reeeeeeally wish would show up on Wii U is Phantasy Star Online 2. I really don't see it happening as it's a free to play game coming out on PC next year.

But the GamePad was MADE for PSO. :sigh:.

They're releasing a retail version for Vita, so it's not impossible, I guess.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Sega could try something with releasing it as an F2P download on the eShop, maybe? Who knows how well it'd work, but it would be pretty cool now that you mention.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Chronojam posted:

We're talking about the one where you craft the traps and slay the jaggies and get the weird shark-sword thing right? Blue mushrooms and herbs for healing potions or something like that. Lotta people getting upset about calling it an MMO apparently, but we're not ever going to get the real PC MMO version so get mad about that instead.

It's a skill-based action game first and everything else second, I would say it's more or less the same genre as Dark Souls.

MMORPG has a WoW or otherwise turn-based combat grinding game connotation to it. So, yes, it is dumb to call it an MMORPG.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Dec 5, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Bobnumerotres posted:

It's a skill-based action game first and everything else second, I would say it's more or less the same genre as Dark Souls.

MMORPG has a WoW or otherwise turn-based combat grinding game connotation to it. So, yes, it is dumb to call an MMORPG.

Every action has a set duration you need to know, such as re-sharpening (using items you craft using things you spent time digging up), or striking the opponent, healing or reloading. Don't tell me you don't have to grind for tail drops, either. Special event stuff to craft your jaggi mask or whatnot also exists, controlled by the server.

It's even stupider to say Xenoblade plays like an MMORPG, what with the time-stop mechanisms, the long cutscenes, changing environment as the story progresses, none of which you typically experience in an MMO. But, lo, somebody said it. I guess, gently caress off with the derail?

• Locked thread