Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

The Fisher King posted:

Here there be endgame spoilers:

As someone who didn't play P4 on PS2, I assumed that Marie being a reflection/part of Izanami was logical, and romancing her being "canon", because the impression I got was that the Protagonist was a similar reflection of Izanagi. Hence why your first Persona is Izanagi, and your final one is its "true" form. Not that "star cross'd lovers across time" isn't cheesy, but its not that bad.

I never get this impression because the game never once tries to make that connection. The entire idea that your main character is a reflection of Izanagi would be acceptable to me if the game ever bothered with even trying to give that impression off. It's a theory to go with, but the game is so detached from having Izanagi be any sort of prominent thing that the Persona is practically a non-entity after you begin fusing because the only time Izanagi is ever referred to by name after that point is by Edogawa when he recounts the myth. That's just such a reach for it, especially since you don't even have to go lovers with Marie to do all of her stuff, thank god.

I dunno, maybe I'm just being a bit more harsh on this since it feels very forced from someone like me who played the crap out of the original P4, but the addition of Marie is just something that complicates the story more when it was a story that already had too many questions unanswered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!

The Fisher King posted:

Here there be endgame spoilers:

As someone who didn't play P4 on PS2, I assumed that Marie being a reflection/part of Izanami was logical, and romancing her being "canon", because the impression I got was that the Protagonist was a similar reflection of Izanagi. Hence why your first Persona is Izanagi, and your final one is its "true" form. Not that "star cross'd lovers across time" isn't cheesy, but its not that bad.

Although I haven't completely finished Golden yet, Edogawa mentioned a comb when he told the Izanagi / Izanami story and that seemed like a huge flashing LOOK MARIE IS IMPORTANT GUYS REALLY sign to me. I haven't seen how they actually wrap that up with the dungeon / epilogue, but at least there's that. That said, her entire S-Link felt incredibly hamfisted and almost every single event was "Hey lets go to that place" "LOOK! Your entire party showed up for no reason! Look at all the fun they're having!" "> You walked Marie back to the Velvet Room." It did nothing to make me care about her at all, with the exception of hearing "Fsteak" voiced and the clown rap being the most ridiculous thing.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Not forseeing the connection between Izanagi and the MC is nearly impossible because the MC's own persona is Izanagi himself

I liked Marie. Sure, she's a little cliche, but it's sort of difficult to ease a new character into an established story without getting all the other characters to interact with her. Cliches are only as good as they are written, and I think she was written well. It was nice to see Izanami given some redemption, too.

Medium Cool
Dec 27, 2006

Yr sister is a beauty when she's naked
Grimey Drawer
I just recently beat Catherine and liked it a lot more than I thought I would. Do these games stand well on their own or would I need to start with Persona 1 on to get the full story?

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Medium Cool posted:

I just recently beat Catherine and liked it a lot more than I thought I would. Do these games stand well on their own or would I need to start with Persona 1 on to get the full story?

Not only do the games stand on their own (outside of like one-line references to a character or event from a previous game), but Persona 1 and 2 are pretty divisive, but Personas 3 and 4 are pretty universally liked. Just jump right into those two. In fact, play Persona 3 Portable if you can, since it's got the gameplay improvements from 4, plus it features a neat cameo from Vincent.

Medium Cool
Dec 27, 2006

Yr sister is a beauty when she's naked
Grimey Drawer

Crappy Jack posted:

Not only do the games stand on their own (outside of like one-line references to a character or event from a previous game), but Persona 1 and 2 are pretty divisive, but Personas 3 and 4 are pretty universally liked. Just jump right into those two. In fact, play Persona 3 Portable if you can, since it's got the gameplay improvements from 4, plus it features a neat cameo from Vincent.

Sounds good. I've been meaning to pick up a vita soon anyway so I'll make sure to get these games.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
The only thing P4 spoils for P3 is that the world doesn't end.

It is an SMT game though, so that the world doesn't end may be a spoiler in and of itself considering it's been the premise before. :psyduck:

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

The only thing P4 spoils for P3 is that the world doesn't end.

It is an SMT game though, so that the world doesn't end may be a spoiler in and of itself considering it's been the premise before. :psyduck:

Isn't that kind of the premise for all SMT games including Persona?

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Tiny spoilers

Medium Cool posted:

All the persona games are ostensibly in the same universe, but P1-P2 and P3-P4 may as well be in their own continuities for how different the cast and "rules" are, and even in the directly related games it's more a couple references and cameos than anything. So what Crappy Jack said.

I occasionally fire up the first two games because they scratch that "early ps1 JRPG" itch that needs scratched every year or so

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Superstring posted:

Isn't that kind of the premise for all SMT games including Persona?

Technically the Persona timeline started with "Shin Megami Tensei If..". A spinoff in which Tokyo is not nuked like the first game and the world doesn't end. A Japanese school get's sucked into Makai and a group of high school students need to use Guardian Spirits to fight off the demons. The female main character choice of If... appeared in Persona 2 later on.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

RentACop posted:

All the persona games are ostensibly in the same universe, but P1-P2 and P3-P4 may as well be in their own continuities for how different the cast and "rules" are, and even in the directly related games it's more a couple references and cameos than anything. So what Crappy Jack said.

Yeah, I really am of the school of thought that the first two are just unrelated to 3/4, there's really no enhancement to the story you get from treating them as continuous, I don't think. The references that are there are just fun references, I think.

quote:

I occasionally fire up the first two games because they scratch that "early ps1 JRPG" itch that needs scratched every year or so

That's the thing really, how much you like P2 is really related to how high a tolerance you have for early PSX JRPGs. P1 is more a test of your tolerance of SNES dungeon crawls.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Teddie in the Agent suit. :3: Almost worth using the useless lump. Yeah, I know he gets better, but drat is he awful when he first joins up. And with my MC having plenty of Ice coverage, Teddie really isn't going to pull his weight.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

McDragon posted:

Teddie in the Agent suit. :3: Almost worth using the useless lump. Yeah, I know he gets better, but drat is he awful when he first joins up. And with my MC having plenty of Ice coverage, Teddie really isn't going to pull his weight.

He's good as the designated healer early on. Funnily, my Teddie, Kanji, and Naoto have been higher level than Yosuke, Chie, and Yukiko.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Superstring posted:

He's good as the designated healer early on. Funnily, my Teddie, Kanji, and Naoto have been higher level than Yosuke, Chie, and Yukiko.

Does he get that boost to healing spells skill and Amrita? Because Yukiko's got both of those right now. Love those extra skills from S-Linking.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Dr Pepper posted:

Technically the Persona timeline started with "Shin Megami Tensei If..". A spinoff in which Tokyo is not nuked like the first game and the world doesn't end. A Japanese school get's sucked into Makai and a group of high school students need to use Guardian Spirits to fight off the demons. The female main character choice of If... appeared in Persona 2 later on.

She also shows up in Persona 1.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

McDragon posted:

Does he get that boost to healing spells skill and Amrita? Because Yukiko's got both of those right now. Love those extra skills from S-Linking.

He gets Amrita, and the healing boost doesn't matter a ton when the heal spells upgrade to simply healing a target or party to full.

Snix
Aug 31, 2012

After the war of great troll, he only stands. He now returns to the legendary city to seek revenge on the death of his village. Episode 1: "Legendary School Girl Bubble Gum! Will Senpai Notice Me!?"
So, I heard this is a long game, and it most certainly is longer than other games, but I still can't shake this feeling that it's short. I can easily blow through dungeons in one day, I'm fifty hours in, and I'm level 70. I'm after Mitsou's dungeon, though I haven't activated the next dungeon yet. How far am I? I mean, with P3P, I clocked in 100-120 hours, and the in-game time didn't seem to go as fast as it does here, though P3P was also my first venture into the Persona series. Plus, I beat P3P over the span of several months, and I've just been blowing through P4G over the span of a week and a half. Am I just going too fast? Is there more to the game that I just haven't gotten to yet? Is it just a shorter game?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Snix posted:

So, I heard this is a long game, and it most certainly is longer than other games, but I still can't shake this feeling that it's short. I can easily blow through dungeons in one day, I'm fifty hours in, and I'm level 70. I'm after Mitsou's dungeon, though I haven't activated the next dungeon yet. How far am I? I mean, with P3P, I clocked in 100-120 hours, and the in-game time didn't seem to go as fast as it does here, though P3P was also my first venture into the Persona series. Plus, I beat P3P over the span of several months, and I've just been blowing through P4G over the span of a week and a half. Am I just going too fast? Is there more to the game that I just haven't gotten to yet? Is it just a shorter game?

You are a little under halfway done.

edit: What difficulty are you playing on?

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Dec 4, 2012

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Superstring posted:

He gets Amrita, and the healing boost doesn't matter a ton when the heal spells upgrade to simply healing a target or party to full.

Might give him a whirl later on then. Thanks for the info.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Snix posted:

You have a ways to go and you are heinously unbelievably overlevelled :psyduck:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Snix posted:

How in the hell are you level 70 that early?!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

How in the hell are you level 70 that early?!

I can hit 70 by then if I'm playing on Very Easy and come across a few golden hands along the way.

Snix
Aug 31, 2012

After the war of great troll, he only stands. He now returns to the legendary city to seek revenge on the death of his village. Episode 1: "Legendary School Girl Bubble Gum! Will Senpai Notice Me!?"
I'm on normal. The rare shadow system is kinda broken, I guess. But to get specific,
MC: 70
Rise: 68
Everyone else: 65
But that's why I was saying that I think this game is easier than the PS2 version, since I played up to Kanji's boss on that, and I remember frequently running out of resources. But this game's shuffle time system also seems a bit broken, so it's easy to gain MP. Again, I've only played normal thus-far on both versions.

Snix fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Dec 5, 2012

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I am a whole dungeon ahead of you, 3 if you count bonus boss runs because I generally clear floors, and I'm only hitting 80.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I'm the same level as you.

I'm at the final dungeon. :psyduck:

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

Snix is going to have a pretty good shot of fusing Lucifer at this rate.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Holy hell, I can't imagine being that high level. I didn't hit 70 until the December dungeon.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

It's not incredibly hard to snowball to stupidly high levels in this game, considering all the golden hands. Shuffle time is your friend, an EXP boost during a golden hand fight for extra hilarity. One battle in the 4th dungeon netted me something stupid like 50k+ EXP.

Things like that are why my MC is around lv85 and only half-way through the december dungeon. Also, i'm playing on normal.

Next runthrough I think I might do the Izanagi Challenge... Max EXP gain, max money gain, max damage dealt and taken, on hard difficulty. Rule: Not allowed to use a persona in battle other than Izanagi

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

HiveCommander posted:

Next runthrough I think I might do the Izanagi Challenge... Max EXP gain, max money gain, max damage dealt and taken, on hard difficulty. Rule: Not allowed to use a persona in battle other than Izanagi

I've been doing this, minus the EXP gain and with normal damage dealt. :unsmigghh:

Mr. Funtime
Aug 20, 2012
God drat, Rise just gave my entire party Mind Charge/Power Charge at once. The boss of the December dungeon didn't stand a chance. :black101:

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
Downright shameful question here: on a weapon, does the HIT stat indicate how often the character equipped with it will score a critical hit or how often their physical attacks will connect in general?

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Downright shameful question here: on a weapon, does the HIT stat indicate how often the character equipped with it will score a critical hit or how often their physical attacks will connect in general?

Pretty sure it's the latter. I think your weapon's accuracy also affects physical Persona skills as well. Yeah, I don't use the bats.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

It's overall accuracy. I'm not really sure how the formula works, but 90+ hit weapons are noticeably more accurate than something with a hit in the mid-70s.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

This is also a shameful question, how does a Persona's stats affect damage dealt/taken? What's the difference between armor defense, hit points, and En? Does Lu affect critical hits? How does Ag improve Hit/Ev, if at all? What do the attributes determine, specifically?

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

When you're walking in a dungeon, do Teddie's feet still make that squeaking noise every step? This is important.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Ratoslov posted:

When you're walking in a dungeon, do Teddie's feet still make that squeaking noise every step? This is important.

If he's in the bear suit, yes. If you switch him to a costume that makes him go around in human form no.

Edit: VV Good point I forgot that some people might be playing this the first time.

Dr Pepper fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Dec 5, 2012

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Dr Pepper posted:

If he's in the bear suit, yes. If you switch him to a costume that makes him go around in human form no.

Please put that in spoiler tags. The cutscene where he takes his suit off for the first time is the most incredible thing if you've never seen it before. I would hate for someone to get spoiled on that absurd plot development.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Holy crap, Daidara just gave me a fish as a weapon. GOTY.

Undead Unicorn
Sep 14, 2010

by Lowtax
I'm on level 35 and in Void Quest, how the hell are you in your 70's. I didn't even max out a social link yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Undead Unicorn posted:

I'm on level 35 and in Void Quest, how the hell are you in your 70's. I didn't even max out a social link yet.

I did that dungeon in one (long) day and fought a stupid amount of golden hands and came out the other end at level 45.

• Locked thread