Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drakli
Jan 28, 2004
Goblin-Friend

Bruceski posted:

Look at the original Mario RPG. On top of the Mario staples we got a talking cloud raised by frogs, who was actually a prince of the cloud-people. His usurper was a busty woman with a bird on her head who smoked a cigarette (in a Nintendo game), and when we played the game nobody batted an eye. Not to mention the Axem Rangers. It was weird, but it was a flavor of weird that somehow managed to fit with established Mario weirdness.

I concur. That was a great game. I admit I tend to prefer the Paper Mario series over that one, but it's largely a matter of aesthetics, I think. I like 2-D cartoony style over 3-D computer modeling. I also appreciate the stand Paper Mario took against hit point inflation. It makes you feel like Final Fantasy is compensating for something

Vidyatendo posted:

just something a bit more than "Peach is kidnapped, collect poo poo" would be nice.

EDIT:
Hell, just changing the main baddie would be nice, and maybe have a weird temporary truce going on between Bowser and Mario, have some neat, unique co-op going on. I dunno.

I'll admit, it isn't that there's an excuse plot (even excuse plots can be done with style,) so much as the fact they recycle the same drat excuse plot almost every game that bothers me. But this time, Bowser's Giant! Woo!

Please don't take this to mean I disrespect Mario or Miyamoto. I love these games! But I think there's room for criticism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
Just out of curiosity, why do you want more story out of Mario's main games specifically?
Series like Mario Kart are almost just as established, with several entries over multiple consoles, and they don't even have a hint of a story, and no one's asking for any. They're just as "realistic", so what's about the main games that makes everyone interested in a richer story?
My best guess is that it's either because the main games give you a clear objective you pursue over the whole game while the action in the Kart games is non-sequitur, or because the presence of an arching story makes us want more.
Personally, I don't mind the bland and repeating plot of the main games. Mario saving the princess is an integral part to the Mario games, even if some games like Super Mario Land 2 stray off that objective. One thing that would be cool though is if you start out in the Mushroom Kingdom chasing Bowser, but then Tatanga steals Bowser's castle (including the levels in it and Peach), and you have to travel to Sarasaland to pursue Tatanga. It'd be an interesting curveball that allows the return of Super Mario Land and sticks to the kidnapping and saving-theme.

TheAsterite
Dec 31, 2008
I personally would prefer more things like the storybook from the first game. Just little side things that may add to the world building and side characters. For the life of me though, I don't remember any length cutscenes in the first galaxy that really broke up gameplay, other than the one that plays at the end. Most of them were just explanations of what to do next if I'm not mistaken.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
The Kart games are racing games which by their very nature have no need for story; you don't need to give the racers a reason to want to finish the race first; they're racing; first is better than second! Everyone knows how a race works and why people race so there's no real reason to explain anything beyond "This is a race, GO!"

Martian Buddy
Jun 4, 2010

Are you ready to swear
right here,
right now,
before the devil
I'd say that let's face facts - nobody plays Mario games for deep plot. We play them because, whatever genre they happen to be, they are very fun, laid-back games to play.

It's very much the id Software way to make games - make the games enjoyable to play and farm the story out to some random people down on the street. Nintendo has essentially been making the Mario games with the same mindset, just less brown.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Mario has always focused on purity of gameplay but there have been a few Mario games here and there that have shown us that you can have purity of gameplay and an interesting story!

And now we want everything because we are greedy motherfuckers.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Neruz posted:

The Kart games are racing games which by their very nature have no need for story; you don't need to give the racers a reason to want to finish the race first; they're racing; first is better than second! Everyone knows how a race works and why people race so there's no real reason to explain anything beyond "This is a race, GO!"

Well, the same could be said about the main games. Monster shows up and kidnaps girl, guy runs after them. Unless this is Braid, you know what's happening and what you have to do.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

horriblePencilist posted:

Well, the same could be said about the main games. Monster shows up and kidnaps girl, guy runs after them. Unless this is Braid, you know what's happening and what you have to do.

But why did the monster kidnap the girl? Why do you want to save her? Who is this girl anyway? These are all questions that vaguely matter in an adventure\action game and don't really matter in a racing game; the only question you need to answer in a racing game is "So why are they racing in the first place?" and the Mario universe is sufficiently insane that that particulr question isn't exactly going to make any sense.

Garbonix
Oct 9, 2012
I think the real question is; why are they sending a plumber to do the job of a hero?

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Garbonix posted:

I think the real question is; why are they sending a plumber to do the job of a hero?

'Plumber' is just a cover job for Mario; when was the last time you saw him actually do some plumbing?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
No no no, you don't understand. He's a 'Plumber'. As in the space warriors in Ben 10, he's a friend of Grandpa Max.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
^ That makes too much sense. Explains the vast Fauna of the Mushroom Kingdom, at the very least.

Garbonix posted:

To be fair, who else to jump in to save the Princess? Blue Toad? I think not.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

To be fair, who else to jump in to save the Princess? Blue Toad? I think not.

We all remember how well that went.

Drakli
Jan 28, 2004
Goblin-Friend

Just out of curiosity, why do you want more story out of Mario's main games specifically?
Series like Mario Kart are almost just as established, with several entries over multiple consoles, and they don't even have a hint of a story, and no one's asking for any.

I'm not asking for story from Mario Kart chiefly because I don't like kart games or racing games in general. Now one could easily say the reason I don't like them is because I've always been disenchanted with the idea of driving cars.

However... now that I think about it, the lack of a story giving me a context for why I'm racing might also be part of a hook I'm lacking. It's why I drifted away from games without a clear arc once the NES introduced me to games with a beginning, middle, and end.

My best guess is that it's either because the main games give you a clear objective you pursue over the whole game while the action in the Kart games is non-sequitur, or because the presence of an arching story makes us want more.

You might be right about this. It sounds like the clear and concise answer for what I want.

The long drawn-out answer is that when I'm playing a Super Mario game, I'm playing pretend. I'm pretending to be Mario (or optimally, Luigi,) exploring a fantastic world, daring deadly obstacles, taking great risks, fending off hordes of Bowser's minions, on a great quest.

I like having context for the adventure I'm undertaking. It doesn't have to be Shakespeare or elaborate at all, but it helps me stay "in the mode" if the story sending me out is fun or interesting.

At the very least, it helps me not feel so bad for killing so many seriously adorable minions. I mean, seriously, who doesn't think koopa troopas are cuddly and goombas are cute? In New Super Mario Bros Wii, they even dance to the background music!

The curious thing about Mario game story these days is that the most interesting parts of the story are ironic, and/or meta, and or pieced together in our heads like putting frog bits into the holes of dinosaur dna. I mean, take the opening cutscene of New Super Mario Bros. Wii. The koopalings kidnapped Peach with a cake, and they parked the Doom Ship right outside the front gates and nobody noticed! Bowser seriously doesn't even have to try and he knows it.

Things like the way Bowser always sets himself up in arenas where an depowered Mario can actually hurt his near-invulnerable hide, that he puts one-ups near his boss-fight zones, that he likes to draft "Guahahar!" letters and speeches to challenge Mario... it makes you wonder how much this is about actually taking over the world and how much of it is a really obfuscating and elaborate way of setting up hang-out time with his best buddy Mario.

That said... when you get right down to it, I think "I think too deeply about things," is probably as much answer as you need.

Drakli fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Dec 5, 2012

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Drakli posted:

That said... when you get right down to it, I think "I think too deeply about things," is probably as much answer as you need.

It's actually really plausible that they don't add too much story to mantain the status of sillyness in the Mario games. You know how the cartoony visuals help you accepting the setting, technical hiccups and theoretical violence of Mario crushing his enemies? It never occured to me, but the same thing probably applies to the story. The story, or lack thereof, ensures us that there isn't really anything to worry about in terms of story, and that there's little point in trying to go too much into it. Now, if we had this epic backstory of the Mushroom Kingdom raging a fierce war with Bowser and his forces, fueled with rage from the loss of his children's wife, and then we have a fat plumber jumping from grassy plains to snowy mountains to a fiery volcano, that'd leave people confused.

The Mario RPGs may tie the Mushroom Kingdom to a coherent story, but they're not as goofy and nonsensical as the main games though: Bosses don't stand on fragile bridges with axes next to them, sliding down poles does not promise victory and hell, even Goombas actually attack Mario.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Well I don't know; I'd be fine with the villain's driving motivation being "I WANT ALL THAT STAR POWER" because Stars have been established to be powerful and capable of doing all kinds of bullshit in the wrong hands. I'm not asking for Shakespeare here, just maybe a little more experimentation.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Neruz posted:

Well I don't know; I'd be fine with the villain's driving motivation being "I WANT ALL THAT STAR POWER" because Stars have been established to be powerful and capable of doing all kinds of bullshit in the wrong hands. I'm not asking for Shakespeare here, just maybe a little more experimentation.

Which reminds me, Peach's Castle has as much power as a goddamn self-sustaining space station.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
That one Luma racing to get back into position was pretty funny.

The T
May 29, 2010

A sufficiently chaotic system is maximally fair.

Which reminds me, Peach's Castle has as much power as a goddamn self-sustaining space station.

:goonsay: Actually, the spaceships are primarily powered by Grand Stars, the stars you get from beating bosses. Regular stars are just an additional fuel.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Y'all thinking too hard about Mario in this thread. Bowser kidnaps Peach because he's a jerk, Mario runs to save her because he's a cool dude. Anything else is gravy.

On a more related-to-this-LP topic, the engine room also gets some cool stuff as you play. We haven't gotten to the point where new stuff will be added, though, so I'm not going to say, but anyone who's played Galaxy 2 for any length of time will know what I'm on about.

The Deleter fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Dec 5, 2012

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUu0hy8Aa6E&feature=youtube_gdata_player

My favorite Mario game plot is the one from the Gamecube tennis title.

evilspacehopper
Oct 10, 2012

Hinawa remembered in death as she was in life: endlessly eating birds.
You know I'm cool with the idea that Bowser just likes antagonizing Mario like some sort of hobby. He never seems to really do anything with Peach or even try to rule the Mushroom Kingdom with an iron fist. I think he just wants to see Mario take on his challenge just like we watch an LP.

SWMadness
Jul 16, 2011

Excellent.

Monkey Fracas posted:

That opening is pretty much the whole reason why I bought the game in the first place. :allears:

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

evilspacehopper posted:

You know I'm cool with the idea that Bowser just likes antagonizing Mario like some sort of hobby. He never seems to really do anything with Peach or even try to rule the Mushroom Kingdom with an iron fist. I think he just wants to see Mario take on his challenge just like we watch an LP.
You clearly weren't paying attention to the intro where Bowser decides he might want a cake from Peach. :colbert:

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Monkey Fracas posted:

If they actually started making shows like this, I'd watch. It'd be like a far better version of those late 80's-early 90's shows that vaguely resembled videogames.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

Ariong posted:

Have you played Paper Mario?
To be fair that was made by Intelligent Systems who are a separate in-house division, and as such take Mario a different route than Miyamoto himself does. Actually I dunno how much control Miyamoto has in the RPG games compared to his platforming baby.

Monkey Fracas posted:

The outtakes are even better. Best part is what Waluigi says at 1:12.

Seriously I wanna buy this game now, this looks fun as hell. That was some Wacky Races poo poo right there and it was awesome.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

FinalGamer posted:

To be fair that was made by Intelligent Systems who are a separate in-house division, and as such take Mario a different route than Miyamoto himself does. Actually I dunno how much control Miyamoto has in the RPG games compared to his platforming baby.

He's in charge of the Mario franchise, whether it's Mario Party, Mario RPG, or Mario Galaxy.

Sillyman
Jul 21, 2008

Suspicious Dish posted:

He's in charge of the Mario franchise, whether it's Mario Party, Mario RPG, or Mario Galaxy.

All that means is that whatever happens, he gave at least tenuous approval, even if he doesn't particularly like the direction or simply wouldn't have thought of an idea.

Videotendo
Jan 5, 2011

Button Masher

Neruz posted:

Good Sir have you dared to inquire as to the nature of Super Paper Mario?

Or the Mario & Luigi games (SSS definitely, BIS indirectly I don't know about PIT though, never played it), or Super Mario RPG?
Also, let's throw in the Mario Sport games for good measure.

Come to think of it, most of the Mario-RPGs have Bowser teaming up with Mario. I guess he seems like an obvious choice as a party member. Definitely better than Yellow Toad and Blue Toad, though.

That's what I sorta meant, though. The RPGs have excellent writing and characters, and being able to play as Bowser is bad-loving-rear end.

Plus, I think it's been mostly agreed on that Super Paper Mario is mediocre overall.

EDIT:
You know, all the Mario RPGs are funny and silly as all hell while also managing to be good in the story department. In fact, when they are too serious all the time, like in Mario Sunshine, it's pretty dumb I admit.

There is a lot of dialog in Galaxy 2, but since I just don't give a poo poo about what's going on, I feel like I wish they did cut the bullshit this time. Just, I dunno, a new twist would be nice. Hell, a PROPER Mario game with Peach being playable again would be wonderful.

Videotendo fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Dec 5, 2012

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Monkey Fracas posted:

This is why we need a game about Wario and Waluigi.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Monkey Fracas posted:

The Gamecube Mario Golf also had a intro in a similar style.

Yes, we do need a Wario and Waluigi game. Something like the Mario & Luigi series.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I'd love to see a Wario & Waluigi game, but instead of making it an RPG, it should be a treasure-collection platformer like the Wario Land series. It will be the best addition to the series since Wario Land 3.

VV That's actually even better!

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Dec 6, 2012

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Y-Hat posted:

I'd love to see a Wario & Waluigi game, but instead of making it an RPG, it should be a treasure-collection platformer like the Wario Land series. It will be the best addition to the series since Wario Land 3.

It should be a game about ruining everyone's day for petty gains.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I vaguely recall someone came up with a concept for a Waluigi game where the object was to cheat at a bunch of "unwinnable" minigames, but it was dropped because it was too much effort to make both the mechanics of the normal minigame and the mechanics of the cheating mesh properly. Don't quote me on this, I don't have a source or anything. Just something I remember.

I'd kill for a Wario brothers game, though. Those two are the best.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

The Deleter posted:

I vaguely recall someone came up with a concept for a Waluigi game where the object was to cheat at a bunch of "unwinnable" minigames, but it was dropped because it was too much effort to make both the mechanics of the normal minigame and the mechanics of the cheating mesh properly. Don't quote me on this, I don't have a source or anything. Just something I remember.

I don't think that was ever an actual game. Charles Martinet, voice of Waluigi (among other characters) said in an interview that he'd love to see a Waluigi game that worked like that.

I feel like a Waluigi game would be a stealth-action game, only instead of serving any major goal you're just pranking random Toads in the most elaborate ways you can think of.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Rocketlex posted:

I don't think that was ever an actual game. Charles Martinet, voice of Waluigi (among other characters) said in an interview that he'd love to see a Waluigi game that worked like that.

I feel like a Waluigi game would be a stealth-action game, only instead of serving any major goal you're just pranking random Toads in the most elaborate ways you can think of.

That was it. Thanks for clearing that up. It was a goon in another Mario LP thread (I think pokecapn's Mario party Marathon) that said how difficult it would be to implement.

What about an Assassin's Creed style game? Instead of murder, Waluigi freruns flails around the rooftops of the Mushroon Kingdom, pranking high-profile targets in order to buiild up a reputation. Gameplay elements include building a network of ne'er-do-wells to prank the citizens, daring missions into Peach's castle to add chilli powder to her cake mix, and slap-fights with guards.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

The Deleter posted:

What about an Assassin's Creed style game? Instead of murder, Waluigi freruns flails around the rooftops of the Mushroon Kingdom, pranking high-profile targets in order to buiild up a reputation. Gameplay elements include building a network of ne'er-do-wells to prank the citizens, daring missions into Peach's castle to add chilli powder to her cake mix, and slap-fights with guards.

And, taking a page from 50 Cent's Blood on the Sand, you could level up your waa's.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Y-Hat posted:

VV That's actually even better!

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

I was secretly hoping the premise of that game would be that Mario has somehow racked up a huge debt to Wario which he needs to pay off. At the end of each level, once you jump off the flagpole, Wario would grab you and shake all the coins out of your body.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Irish Gal
Jul 8, 2012

Your existence amounts to nothing more than a goldfish swimming upriver.

PS: We are all actually cats

Rocketlex posted:

I was secretly hoping the premise of that game would be that Mario has somehow racked up a huge debt to Wario which he needs to pay off. At the end of each level, once you jump off the flagpole, Wario would grab you and shake all the coins out of your body.

And if you don't pay up, he calls Waluigi in to break Mario's legs.

Wah-ha!

• Locked thread