Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun

DrPepperholik posted:

I just got done with my 28 week appointment and had to do that wretched sugar test again which I of course failed with a big fat 182. :argh: My options were to do the annoying 3 hour test or go to class to learn how to manage diabetes. I chose the 3 hour test. I didn't eat anything for breakfast I ate dinner about 9:30 last night and didn't eat after. I drank water last night and this morning. My husband thinks maybe I failed because of what I ate for dinner, pud kee meow from a Thai restaurant. The last time I had to do the 3 hour test my first hour draw was high too (170 something, maybe 179 is what she said) so the lab tech was trying to be positive and tell me that "It probably just takes you a little longer to get it out of your system and you'll pass this next one." She said the 2nd and 3rd hour draws were normal with the 2nd hour being 120 something. This news just ruined my day, I burst out into tears while in the lab waiting for her to set up the 3 hour test. :cry:

Those readings are high enough I'd really try to leave the emotions behind and just worry about controlling your blood sugars for the baby's sake. What you ate the night before a test is not going to get you a 182. In someone with no blood sugar issues they would get a reading of around 100-110 whether they had your dinner or a dinner of three ice cream sundaes. The GD diet is really not so bad and it's very healthy - lots of goons have done it and lived to tell the tale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrPepperholik
Jul 15, 2007

by Fistgrrl

hepscat posted:

Those readings are high enough I'd really try to leave the emotions behind and just worry about controlling your blood sugars for the baby's sake. What you ate the night before a test is not going to get you a 182. In someone with no blood sugar issues they would get a reading of around 100-110 whether they had your dinner or a dinner of three ice cream sundaes. The GD diet is really not so bad and it's very healthy - lots of goons have done it and lived to tell the tale.

They were asking me at the doctor's office about what I ate to see if that's why it was so high. My first reading for the first glucose test was 141, they just want 139 or less. They didn't seem to treat me as having to worry about watching what I eat now in fact the doctor said she had to do the 3 hour test with both her pregnancies and was fine. I just don't want to be labeled as a gestational diabetic because I hear that sticks with you for each consecutive pregnancy.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

Lullabee posted:

Spent 6 hours in l&d only to get told that my pains are normal, but I'm dehydrated and need to up my water intake. I also had a slight fever (100.1) but it went down a bit while there, so I guess they weren't too concerned. The on call doc ordered blood work to be done, since I'm apparently showing high levels of something to do with my liver in my urine. Oh, and apparently I'm not eating nearly enough. Nurse said my body is in starvation mode and ordered me to eat once we left. I did, but I've been sick since Saturday with nausea and occasional vomiting, so I'm guessing that was the culprit.

The only thing that concerned me was the liver part - the only two types of liver issues I found while googling liver issues while pregnant, I don't have any symptoms of - unless my sudden onset of headaches and sickness can be accounted for that? I thought it took a while for that stuff to set up/be noticeable? I mean, I just woke up saturday feeling sick and had no issues before then. Anyone else have liver problems while pregnant?

It sounds like you might have had ketones in your urine. Ketones are produced by your liver, and tested by dipping a test strip into your urine. Having ketones in your urine is normal if you're really dehydrated. I ended up the hospital a few times with contractions, they found ketones, filled me up with two bags of fluids and then retested and found none (until I got dehydrated again.) Not a guarantee that that's what's wrong, but that's what it sounds like, especially since there are only a few things that they're looking for in your pee when you're pregnant.

I eventually did develop a real liver problem while pregnant, but you'd probably know if you had that, because you would be insanely itchy.

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive
nah.

Lullabee fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Mar 21, 2017

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun

DrPepperholik posted:

They were asking me at the doctor's office about what I ate to see if that's why it was so high. My first reading for the first glucose test was 141, they just want 139 or less. They didn't seem to treat me as having to worry about watching what I eat now in fact the doctor said she had to do the 3 hour test with both her pregnancies and was fine. I just don't want to be labeled as a gestational diabetic because I hear that sticks with you for each consecutive pregnancy.

A lot of nurses, techs, and even OBs don't really understand how blood sugar works. If something you ate 12 hours before a test gives you high blood sugar this would be a horrible problem, like live in the hospital until it's controlled type of problem - seriously. Normally food you eat peaks at 1 to 2 hours after eating.

There's a reason why you get referred to an endocrinologist and nutritionist if you're diagnosed with gestational diabetes. Your regular OB doesn't have that specialty and it sounds like they don't even quite understand what the test measures.

I'm not trying to be a diabetes snob, I've just seen it a lot in the medical community. A reading over 180 is nothing to sneeze at. Don't worry so much about a label, worry about getting that number down because it will affect your growing baby.

Edit: I wanted to add the standards for blood sugar during pregnancy are under 120 after eating, and under 90 fasting. So even a 139 is trouble. At your highest you should never be over 120.

hepscat fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Dec 5, 2012

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We are the ones we've been waiting for.

DrPepperholik posted:

I just don't want to be labeled as a gestational diabetic because I hear that sticks with you for each consecutive pregnancy.

I don't understand this. Getting the diagnosis is important if you have it, so you can control it and keep your baby (and subsequent babies) safe. It's not like wearing a Scarlet D on your chest for life. You have to eat differently for a few months and you'll likely get tested earlier in any later pregnancies.

sudont
May 10, 2011
this program is useful for when you don't want to do something.

Fun Shoe
Had my NT scan today at 13w 1d and everything looked good, thankfully. I have a very uncooperative baby to be, however. He/she wasn't in a good position and the tech was trying to get it (sorry, I get tired of he/she) to move. She had me eat some crackers and drink some apple juice, shake my hips, do hula hoop motions, and so on, and it wouldn't cooperate! At one point, you could see an arm come up to the forehead like "GOD you people, leave me ALONE!" It was so funny. The tech got a printout of that one, heehee.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

You want to know if you have this. Here are the risks of uncontrolled blood sugar in pregnant women:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/gestational-diabetes/DS00316/DSECTION=complications

*Excessive birth weight. Extra glucose in your bloodstream crosses the placenta, which triggers your baby's pancreas to make extra insulin. This can cause your baby to grow too large (macrosomia). Very large babies are more likely to become wedged in the birth canal, sustain birth injuries or require a C-section birth.

*Early (preterm) birth and respiratory distress syndrome. A mother's high blood sugar may increase her risk of going into labor early and delivering her baby before its due date. Or her doctor may recommend early delivery because the baby is growing so large. Babies born early may experience respiratory distress syndrome — a condition that makes breathing difficult. Babies with this syndrome may need help breathing until their lungs mature and become stronger. Babies of mothers with gestational diabetes may experience respiratory distress syndrome even if they're not born early.

*Low blood sugar (hypoglycemia). Sometimes babies of mothers with gestational diabetes develop low blood sugar (hypoglycemia) shortly after birth because their own insulin production is high. Severe episodes of hypoglycemia may provoke seizures in the baby. Prompt feedings and sometimes an intravenous glucose solution can return the baby's blood sugar level to normal.

*Jaundice. This yellowish discoloration of the skin and the whites of the eyes may occur if a baby's liver isn't mature enough to break down a substance called bilirubin, which normally forms when the body recycles old or damaged red blood cells. Although jaundice usually isn't a cause for concern, careful monitoring is important.

*Type 2 diabetes later in life. Babies of mothers who have gestational diabetes have a higher risk of developing obesity and type 2 diabetes later in life.

*Untreated gestational diabetes can result in a baby's death either before or shortly after birth.

DrPepperholik
Jul 15, 2007

by Fistgrrl

hepscat posted:

A lot of nurses, techs, and even OBs don't really understand how blood sugar works. If something you ate 12 hours before a test gives you high blood sugar this would be a horrible problem, like live in the hospital until it's controlled type of problem - seriously. Normally food you eat peaks at 1 to 2 hours after eating.

There's a reason why you get referred to an endocrinologist and nutritionist if you're diagnosed with gestational diabetes. Your regular OB doesn't have that specialty and it sounds like they don't even quite understand what the test measures.

I'm not trying to be a diabetes snob, I've just seen it a lot in the medical community. A reading over 180 is nothing to sneeze at. Don't worry so much about a label, worry about getting that number down because it will affect your growing baby.

They seemed to joke about me eating pancakes and maple syrup for dinner for that reading and that told me they didn't understand it. My dad is a type 2 diabetic, I know that doesn't bode well for me, but his is from agent orange exposure while nobody else in the family has had it. Dad got it around his mid 50's if I remember correctly and the diet is no fun, he's 67 now. He's struggled with his sugar levels being too low or too high a lot and is now insulin dependent. I am all too familiar with diabetes. A reading of 182 is high but it's not an immediate diagnosis of GD from my earlier research on the subject a reading of over 200 is an automatic diagnosis without a 3 hour test.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

hepscat posted:

A lot of nurses, techs, and even OBs don't really understand how blood sugar works.

This is really depressing, and right up there with OBs and pediatricians not being informed about breastfeeding. Pregnant women and new mothers get so much pressure to do everything perfectly, but we can't even get reliable information from our doctors.

DrPepperholik
Jul 15, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Chickalicious posted:

I don't understand this. Getting the diagnosis is important if you have it, so you can control it and keep your baby (and subsequent babies) safe. It's not like wearing a Scarlet D on your chest for life. You have to eat differently for a few months and you'll likely get tested earlier in any later pregnancies.

What's not to understand? I don't want gestational diabetes, who does? I don't want to be labeled as such because it will stay with me and I'll have to go through additional testing earlier for each pregnancy after this one, I don't want to be pushed into having to be induced out of fear for a larger baby or having to have a c-section because they want to be cautious. I understand the need for caution but I have also read where a lot of times the over caution is unnecessary.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

I understand not wanting to have it. I had it. It sucked. But you need to come to terms that you might fail the 3 hour and need to change your lifestyle, if only for a few months. I have a friend who had it with her first pregnancy but not her second, so there's no guarantee of that either.

I was asked if I wanted an induction at 38 weeks. My sugars were well-controlled and I was measuring on time, so I said no. That's all there is to it.

DrPepperholik
Jul 15, 2007

by Fistgrrl
I just feel like if I don't pass the 3 hour test it'll be horrible, like I'd rather have anything than be a diabetic. Especially because if I do have GD my son will have a higher chance of having diabetes in his life because his idiot mom had GD while pregnant with him, totally not his fault. I'm probably being super overly dramatic but it'll be the end of the world if I have diabetes especially with Christmas right after the test.

qentiox
Nov 8, 2005

I like dragons.

DrPepperholik posted:

I just feel like if I don't pass the 3 hour test it'll be horrible, like I'd rather have anything than be a diabetic. Especially because if I do have GD my son will have a higher chance of having diabetes in his life because his idiot mom had GD while pregnant with him, totally not his fault. I'm probably being super overly dramatic but it'll be the end of the world if I have diabetes especially with Christmas right after the test.

It's not anything you did wrong that gave you gestational diabetes. It's a physiological process that happens to some women because their bodies react differently to insulin while pregnant.

I had it with my first and not with my second. There's no magic label that follows you around forever. Like others have said, your priority here is the health of the baby you're carrying, not getting to eat sweets at Christmas. Everything in moderation.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

DrPepperholik posted:

If you control it, it'll be fine. As soon as I had my son, I was in the clear to stop testing and stop taking a pill that I had to take to help control my sugar levels. Even if you don't have it with the first one, you can get it with the second one. I did. There's no guarantee that you will or will not get it again. Just a higher chance. The bigger risks lie if you get it and you have a family history (genetic) of diabetes. That didn't seem to be the case in your situation :)

It sucks, but hey, at least you'll eat healthy and likely put on minimal weight.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful
He won't blame you for having gestational diabetes. My SIL had it and I'm pretty sure she lives on quinoa and fruits and veggies, works out frequently, all that. I didn't WANT to have it either, but the thing is, if you do have it, you need to know.

DrPepperholik
Jul 15, 2007

by Fistgrrl

qentiox posted:

It's not anything you did wrong that gave you gestational diabetes. It's a physiological process that happens to some women because their bodies react differently to insulin while pregnant.

I had it with my first and not with my second. There's no magic label that follows you around forever. Like others have said, your priority here is the health of the baby you're carrying, not getting to eat sweets at Christmas. Everything in moderation.

That made me feel better hearing that it's not my fault and nothing I have done could make that happen to me if it does. I am just really hoping to pass the 3 hour one like I did last time.

From some things I have read his health can be affected if I have GD that puts him at risk of developing type 2 diabetes in life.

bamzilla, sadly I did say a few posts back maybe that my dad has type 2 diabetes from agent orange exposure while he was in Korea during the Vietnam War but he's the only one who has ever had it. I have gained minimal weight so far, as of today I have gained 9.9 pounds from my pre-pregnancy weight which is on the lower side of what is expected of me to gain.

The worst part of it all is that I have to wait for 2 weeks before doing the 3 hour test.

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun

DrPepperholik posted:

From some things I have read his health can be affected if I have GD that puts him at risk of developing type 2 diabetes in life.

First off, I know the things you are reading and you are missing one crucial fact - these are studies about untreated gestational diabetes.

GD by itself isn't an automatic sentence to obesity, etc. But ignoring the problem is the exact worse thing you can do if you want your child to avoid being this statistic later in life because untreated GD is the problem.

Knowing that you are having high blood sugars and that could lead to a host of problems both now and later in life, don't you want to treat them as quickly as possible? What do you possibly gain by thinking a very high blood sugar of 181 is a fluke? It's way too high to get there any other way than "whoops, we spilled maple syrup on your blood sample".

The good news is that if you treat your GD you will have a totally normal pregnancy. That means you reduce the chance the problems down from "fairly certain" to "nil". It's way more important to deal with what's going on than to try to squeeze your way out of a bad test result. I would borrow your dad's blood sugar monitor and do some self-testing if you need further convincing because it's faster, but a 181 is too high for a baby in utero, and you already know you've had that.

The best way to avoid having to induce or a c-section - TREAT THOSE SUGARS. It's not just social pressure by pushy OBs, it's that gestational diabetes can lead to big babies and problems with your placenta which can be deadly to both you and the baby. The way they get around that is to make sure the baby comes out safely.

If you're wondering who the heck I am, I'm a type 2 diabetic before pregnancy and had two children of normal birthweights and no scary health problems (my oldest is in middle school, so that's fairly long-term for the record). No c-sections but I was induced because they didn't want me to go past my due date, which is a fair compromise in my mind compared to possible death. While I was pregnant, anything over 120 was considered TREAT IMMEDIATELY and it really bothers me that you had such a high reading and weren't told right away this was something to take care of. Like many, many things in health care you have to be your own advocate and not let yourself be talked into complacency because some nurses or lab techs aren't endocrinologists who understand how devastating high blood sugar can be for a baby.

Hastings
Dec 30, 2008

Ceridwen posted:

Hastings I hope the sonogram goes well today. I had two causes of crazy bleeding with this pregnancy and a total of 9 weeks of bleeding by the time it stopped. Scared the crap out of me but everything has been fine with the baby. Hope it turns out to be no big deal.

We're good. After having been probed with objects for the SEVENTH TIME IN TWO loving DAYS it was determined to just be a giant burst blood vessel if you will, lodged between the cervix and placenta and the blood was just the residual bleeding and clotting. No actual ruptures or anything of concern. Baby and I are fine, but drat was that scary. Funny story though, the doctor told me I can only do desk type of work from now until delivery, and the HR department at my job has been telling pregnant women that they refuse to honor the physicians notes. I'm awaiting to hear from HR about my phone call and fax I sent them about my doctors' visit, so this will be interesting.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Hastings posted:

Funny story though, the doctor told me I can only do desk type of work from now until delivery, and the HR department at my job has been telling pregnant women that they refuse to honor the physicians notes. I'm awaiting to hear from HR about my phone call and fax I sent them about my doctors' visit, so this will be interesting.

Seems to me it isn't legal to not honor your medical restrictions, but if you (like me) are in the US our worker protections are crap so what do I know!

Hastings
Dec 30, 2008

sheri posted:

Seems to me it isn't legal to not honor your medical restrictions, but if you (like me) are in the US our worker protections are crap so what do I know!

We're already at a third level grievance on this, and probably going to move it into lawsuit territory. This woman denying medical restrictions heading up HR was fired from CPS. I don't know why our boss did not expect this. :psyduck:

DrPepperholik
Jul 15, 2007

by Fistgrrl

hepscat posted:

First off, I know the things you are reading and you are missing one crucial fact - these are studies about untreated gestational diabetes.

GD by itself isn't an automatic sentence to obesity, etc. But ignoring the problem is the exact worse thing you can do if you want your child to avoid being this statistic later in life because untreated GD is the problem.

Knowing that you are having high blood sugars and that could lead to a host of problems both now and later in life, don't you want to treat them as quickly as possible? What do you possibly gain by thinking a very high blood sugar of 181 is a fluke? It's way too high to get there any other way than "whoops, we spilled maple syrup on your blood sample".

The good news is that if you treat your GD you will have a totally normal pregnancy. That means you reduce the chance the problems down from "fairly certain" to "nil". It's way more important to deal with what's going on than to try to squeeze your way out of a bad test result. I would borrow your dad's blood sugar monitor and do some self-testing if you need further convincing because it's faster, but a 181 is too high for a baby in utero, and you already know you've had that.

The best way to avoid having to induce or a c-section - TREAT THOSE SUGARS. It's not just social pressure by pushy OBs, it's that gestational diabetes can lead to big babies and problems with your placenta which can be deadly to both you and the baby. The way they get around that is to make sure the baby comes out safely.

If you're wondering who the heck I am, I'm a type 2 diabetic before pregnancy and had two children of normal birthweights and no scary health problems (my oldest is in middle school, so that's fairly long-term for the record). No c-sections but I was induced because they didn't want me to go past my due date, which is a fair compromise in my mind compared to possible death. While I was pregnant, anything over 120 was considered TREAT IMMEDIATELY and it really bothers me that you had such a high reading and weren't told right away this was something to take care of. Like many, many things in health care you have to be your own advocate and not let yourself be talked into complacency because some nurses or lab techs aren't endocrinologists who understand how devastating high blood sugar can be for a baby.

I wasn't told I have GD just that I have to do the 3 hour test and my number was 182 an hour after the glucose drink. They didn't seem concerned that I have GD now and never gave me instructions on a diet or anything to follow just told me I have to do the 3 hour test in 2 weeks. From what I have read about all the tests for it the one I did today is just a screening test to see who needs further testing, the 3 hour one, to diagnose GD. The one I did today was not a diagnosis rather a screening tool and many women fail that one but still pass the GTT (Glucose Tolerance Test) even with a high number. I've seen that a number over 200 on the test I did today is an automatic diagnosis of GD.

DrPepperholik fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Dec 6, 2012

Seven for a Secret
Apr 5, 2009
Of course I'm sorry you had to go through it, but thank you all for posting your bleeding-but-the-baby's-okay stories. I had some spotting yesterday and am trying not to be a complete pessimist about it. This early on, everything feels so tenuous.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

DrPepperholik posted:

I wasn't told I have GD just that I have to do the 3 hour test and my number was 182 an hour after the glucose drink. They didn't seem concerned that I have GD now and never gave me instructions on a diet or anything to follow just told me I have to do the 3 hour test in 2 weeks. From what I have read about all the tests for it the one I did today is just a screening test to see who needs further testing, the 3 hour one, to diagnose GD. The one I did today was not a diagnosis rather a screening tool and many women fail that one but still pass the GTT (Glucose Tolerance Test) even with a high number. I've seen that a number over 200 on the test I did today is an automatic diagnosis of GD.

180 is HIGH. People with properly functioning endocrine systems don't get numbers like that. I failed my 1 hour by not very much, and I think my highest reading on the 3 hour test was no higher than 150. To be on the safe side, I'd start cutting high carb foods until your 3 hour. White rice, pasta, bread, and obviously sugary things, including soda.

DrPepperholik
Jul 15, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Chickalicious posted:

180 is HIGH. People with properly functioning endocrine systems don't get numbers like that. I failed my 1 hour by not very much, and I think my highest reading on the 3 hour test was no higher than 150. To be on the safe side, I'd start cutting high carb foods until your 3 hour. White rice, pasta, bread, and obviously sugary things, including soda.

When the lab tech looked at my results from the last 3 hour test I did the highest I had then was 179 or so and that was the first one they do after the drink, so the first hour, the one after the 2nd hour was like 120 something. She said it wasn't bad and that it probably just takes me somewhere between 1 and 2 hours to process all that sugar out. Funny thing is I really don't eat that much pasta, bread, rice etc anyway. I did indulge in a few bits of chocolate yesterday afternoon and have been eating more than normal the past week because it's holiday flavored stuff. :( It's not like I sit there and eat a pound of sugar each meal.

Adding: I worry so much about this because I don't want to be labeled as an unhealthy fatty who is doomed to have diabetes later in life and just sits around all day eating junk. I have always had fabulous blood pressure and I never get sick but then hearing the result of my test was like hitting me with a bus. What I'm trying to say is that as a society diabetes is associated as a disease that affects obese unhealthy people not normal people and GD is like a precursor to diabetes later in life as a percentage of women who have GD don't get over it after delivery or they get it later in life.

DrPepperholik fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Dec 6, 2012

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Why do you have to tell anyone else? Who cares what your "labels" are as long as you are taking care of yourself appropriately.

DrPepperholik
Jul 15, 2007

by Fistgrrl
I don't have to tell anyone but I'd know and so would my husband. It'd just crush my self esteem.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

What? You seem unclear that gestational diabetes isn't caused by a behavior that you can control. It's because hormones do wacky things to insulin receptors in some women. Get a grip, man.

Edit to say that there are risk factors (obesity, family history, being over 25, among others), but sometimes none of those things are present and it still happens.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Hastings
Dec 30, 2008

Seven for a Secret posted:

Of course I'm sorry you had to go through it, but thank you all for posting your bleeding-but-the-baby's-okay stories. I had some spotting yesterday and am trying not to be a complete pessimist about it. This early on, everything feels so tenuous.

Don't feel bad about freaking out. It's a pretty jarring thing to see, especially if it is your first pregnancy and it is early in, so you have no idea what the gently caress is happening with your body.

DrPepperholik
Jul 15, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Chickalicious posted:

What? You seem unclear that gestational diabetes isn't caused by a behavior that you can control. It's because hormones do wacky things to insulin receptors in some women. Get a grip, man.

Edit to say that there are risk factors (obesity, family history, being over 25, among others), but sometimes none of those things are present and it still happens.

I sort of have the family history of diabetes I'm unsure of that myself as dad's was is from agent orange exposure. I am 27 so I'm over 25 and the stupid BMI crap says I am "Obese". I don't like BMI because it doesn't take into account that muscle mass weighs more than fat. So all that makes me feel like I did something wrong or that I have bad luck when it comes to health.

Beichan
Feb 17, 2007

pugs, pugs everywhere

DrPepperholik posted:

I don't have to tell anyone but I'd know and so would my husband. It'd just crush my self esteem.

However you feel about it is infinitely less important than taking care of the issue for the sake of your baby's health and your own. I'm sorry you are feeling so torn about it but it is your responsibility to address it.

DrPepperholik
Jul 15, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Beichan posted:

However you feel about it is infinitely less important than taking care of the issue for the sake of your baby's health and your own. I'm sorry you are feeling so torn about it but it is your responsibility to address it.

I have gotten stuff like that a lot, I'm not irresponsible, I would rather do anything than have to keep up with how much of whatever I eat. I have never been good at stuff like that, I could never keep track of calories or Weight Watchers Points and I don't have time to eat like 5 times a day. I'm doing good to eat 3 times a day. I honestly don't see how anyone does stuff like that.

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun

DrPepperholik posted:

Considering what you've said about your dad does that mean you hate your dad for being a diabetic?

I'm not trying to troll you, I'm just really surprised by your attitude. It's not really about you. It's about not harming your baby in utero with the medical knowledge we have available to us. GD is nothing compared to finding out your baby has a genetic defect that you can't do anything about. You absolutely CAN do something when you have GD.

Anyway, look at it as a test of parenting. On the one hand, you have to do something uncomfortable to your self-image that will greatly benefit your child. On the other, you can pat yourself on the back for keeping your husband from think you are fat and risk problems with L&D, the health of the baby, and the baby's health for years to come.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

It sucks. But you have to do it. When you chose to keep this pregnancy, it stopped being all about you and you chose to take responsibility for your child's health. Welcome to being a parent, where things aren't always fun.

Beichan
Feb 17, 2007

pugs, pugs everywhere

DrPepperholik posted:

I have gotten stuff like that a lot, I'm not irresponsible, I would rather do anything than have to keep up with how much of whatever I eat. I have never been good at stuff like that, I could never keep track of calories or Weight Watchers Points and I don't have time to eat like 5 times a day. I'm doing good to eat 3 times a day. I honestly don't see how anyone does stuff like that.

Coming at a very serious but controllable health issue for you and your baby with the attitude of "but I don't WANT to" is irresponsible, yes.

sudont
May 10, 2011
this program is useful for when you don't want to do something.

Fun Shoe
DrPepperholik, please talk to your OB or midwife or whatnot and tell them what you've been telling us here? I understand how overwhelming things can seem, but this sounds like very disordered thinking that you need help dealing with.

Goobish
May 31, 2011

So did I miss the post where DrPepperholik was diagnosed with GD or is everyone freaking out when she hasn't even been diagnosed yet? I was going to say that the catastrophic thinking she's having isn't helping, but the whole thread seems to be going into catastrophe mode for her. Seriously though, there's no point in freaking out about a diagnosis that hasn't even officially happened yet. She's getting the test, so wait for the results to have whatever self esteem issues, and then work through them then. And if you do have GD you would probably really benefit from a little bit of therapy to help with the guilt and self esteem. It's really not an issue of irresponsibility, you're taking the tests, so I think your tone of guilt and low self esteem is maybe rubbing people the wrong way in this thread. Maybe you're being hyper sensitive at the moment. I'm sure you'll do the right thing.

DrPepperholik
Jul 15, 2007

by Fistgrrl
hepscat, I don't hate my dad for having diabetes. I have nothing to do with him having his diabetes. I will have something to do with mine, like there's got to be something I could have done to prevent the possibility of having GD.

Chickalicious, I've had to quit smoking and drinking so much caffeine, which are HUGE for me. It sucks.

Beichan, having to do something and wanting to do it are completely different. Just because I don't want to do any dieting doesn't mean I'm an irresponsible rear end in a top hat it just means that I don't want to do it and won't enjoy doing it.

DrPepperholik
Jul 15, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Goobish posted:

So did I miss the post where DrPepperholik was diagnosed with GD or is everyone freaking out when she hasn't even been diagnosed yet? I was going to say that the catastrophic thinking she's having isn't helping, but the whole thread seems to be going into catastrophe mode for her. Seriously though, there's no point in freaking out about a diagnosis that hasn't even officially happened yet. She's getting the test, so wait for the results to have whatever self esteem issues, and then work through them then. And if you do have GD you would probably really benefit from a little bit of therapy to help with the guilt and self esteem. It's really not an issue of irresponsibility, you're taking the tests, so I think your tone of guilt and low self esteem is maybe rubbing people the wrong way in this thread. Maybe you're being hyper sensitive at the moment. I'm sure you'll do the right thing.

Thank you! I never did get a diagnosis of GD, just was told I require further testing to actually provide the doctor with enough stuff to make a diagnosis. It has hit me like a ton of bricks because I know since being pregnant I am very emotional from hormones and throughout this pregnancy I have beat myself up thinking I'm fat and that I've doomed me and the baby and wishing I would have done something about it before choosing to get pregnant. I can't change that now but if I had known what I know now I would have done things differently.

Edit: Since being pregnant I get upset and can and will cry over spilled milk and I'll tear someone a new one if they even so much as look at me wrong.

DrPepperholik fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Dec 6, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qentiox
Nov 8, 2005

I like dragons.
I don't know man, I'm pretty sure she was the one who said it would be the "end of the world" if she had GD right before Christmas. I'm probably a bitch but things need to really be put into perspective for some people, and I think drpepperholik is one of them.

Even if you -don't- have GD, is it really going to hurt you to eat like you do just to be on the safe side? (read: No.) I'm not trying to be all high and mighty, but my second baby was born with some really serious heart defects, and I just have such a hard time fathoming how you wouldn't do absolutely everything in your power to make sure that everything possible is done so your baby will be ok.

If your husband guilts you or makes you feel like a "fatty" for having GD, he's an rear end in a top hat. That's all there is to it. He's there to support you. If anyone else thinks you're a fatty for having GD, gently caress them, they don't matter. Your baby and your family do. For the record, I never got looked down on or labeled or called fat at all, by ANYBODY, for having GD.