Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012
Have they written the rules about what qualifies for the 10 year public service forgiveness crap yet? Last I heard it was still floating around without definition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walamor
Dec 31, 2006

Fork 'em Devils!
Took a break from studying Con Law to log into Planetside 2 to gently caress around for a while. Got killed by a guy named Scalia just a few minutes into playing.

It's like you can't ever escape it. :(

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

CraigK posted:

Yeah, looking it up, Democrats are against it, and Obama touted the success of IBR, so it's going nowhere until there's a Republican Senate and president.

So 2016, great :(

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Walamor posted:

Got killed by a guy named Scalia just a few minutes into playing.

Critical question: was he screaming "Where's the bomb?!"

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay

Walamor posted:

Took a break from studying Con Law to log into Planetside 2 to gently caress around for a while. Got killed by a guy named Scalia just a few minutes into playing.

It's like you can't ever escape it. :(

My steam nick since law school has been Justice Antonin Scalia.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

ThirdPartyView posted:

Critical question: was he screaming "Where's the bomb?!"
IS IT HYPOTHETICALLY TICKING?!

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.
Someone should make an ID based on Justice Thomas. And then never use voice chat.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I have considered playing under the name of the great Australian Judge "Justice Blow", or "Blow, J" for short.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs
Sam Sparks.
Demean everyone.

Zarkov Cortez fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Dec 6, 2012

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

LordPants posted:

I have considered playing under the name of the great Australian Judge "Justice Blow", or "Blow, J" for short.

If by 'great' you mean 'Tasmanian', go for it.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Neurosis posted:

If by 'great' you mean 'Tasmanian', go for it.

:thejoke:

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

LordPants posted:

Similarly, everyone loves a good Learned Hand, J.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

woozle wuzzle posted:

Have they written the rules about what qualifies for the 10 year public service forgiveness crap yet? Last I heard it was still floating around without definition.

Full time (30 hours or whatever org determines is full time) at a non-profit or govt org (city, county, state, fed).

10 years total

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005

Roger_Mudd posted:

Full time (30 hours or whatever org determines is full time) at a non-profit or govt org (city, county, state, fed).

10 years total
Now that I am a government lawyer, I need this to exist until at least Jan 2024 at minimum, thanks in advance Congress. This thread should start an issue PAC to support pro-IBR candidates in primary battles.

quepasa18
Oct 13, 2005

HolySwissCheese posted:

Now that I am a government lawyer, I need this to exist until at least Jan 2024 at minimum, thanks in advance Congress. This thread should start an issue PAC to support pro-IBR candidates in primary battles.

Eight years to go for me! I wish you could count non-consecutive work so I could add on my three years of clerking.

Glowing Red Sign
Oct 26, 2008

HolySwissCheese posted:

If only you had a donor base that wasn't "debt-ridden, low salaried recent grads."

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

quepasa18 posted:

Eight years to go for me! I wish you could count non-consecutive work so I could add on my three years of clerking.

Uh it can be nonconsecutive work? Its just 120 payments while employed. Doesn't matter if its 10 different jobs over 20 years with a 5 year gap in the middle or whatever.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Tetrix posted:

Uh it can be nonconsecutive work? Its just 120 payments while employed. Doesn't matter if its 10 different jobs over 20 years with a 5 year gap in the middle or whatever.

However, I think clerking (and fellowships and similar term-limited positions) might have been specifically exempted.

But yes, it's 120 payments, not necessarily consecutive.

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005
Also payments while your loans are in deferral wouldn't count towards your 120. Wish I knew about this before I found out that getting enrolled in IBR triggers an automatic 60 day deferral. On the upside, I guess I don't have to make any payments till next year.

Grammar Fascist
May 29, 2004
Y-O-U-R, Y-O-U-Apostrophe-R-E... They're as different as night and day. Don't you think that night and day are different? What's wrong with you?
Tequila Sunrise, I'm a bit late in responding, but I'm an RPCV (Nicaragua 07-09) who studied for and took the LSAT and applied to law schools during my service. I don't think PC had any impact on admissions--my GPA & LSAT correctly predicted everything, though I think I was competitive for more scholarships. It was amazing for need-based aid because my income was like $2,000 for the previous two years.

Aside from what others have said about whether law school is a good idea, I thought PC service was ideal for LSAT studying because I had a ton of time on my hands and hadn't done anything intellectually stimulating for a year. I had family bring all the books and practice tests and things that I needed, then left them in the PCV library when I was done. Applying to law school was rough because internet was so spotty.

The worst thing was that going to law school right after COSing made me very impatient hearing about all my classmates' privileged first-world problems and their lack of any perspective. I think this is hard for all RPCVs, but law school made for a very stark contrast.

quepasa18
Oct 13, 2005

Kalman posted:

However, I think clerking (and fellowships and similar term-limited positions) might have been specifically exempted.

But yes, it's 120 payments, not necessarily consecutive.

Huh, didn't know that. I'll have to check into whether clerking is exempted. I don't know where I got the idea it had to be consecutive.

Edited to add: my clerkship was before 2007 so it doesn't matter anyway whether it counts. Darn. But I think there's a chance that one year of my half-time employment might work because although I was half-time I taught extra classes, and the total number of hours worked was over the 30 per week minimum. That would cut an extra year off if it did count.

quepasa18 fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Dec 7, 2012

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
Torts exam tommorow.

I had a 3L tell me that his year, the difference between an A and a B was 5 points on a 200 pt rubric.

Colorblind Pilot
Dec 29, 2006
Enageg!1

insanityv2 posted:

Torts exam tommorow.

I had a 3L tell me that his year, the difference between an A and a B was 5 points on a 200 pt rubric.

You have an exam on a Saturday?

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
Yes. Its not awful.

1L exam schedule at Cornell is

Wed Sat Tues Fri

2 full days of studying (or dicking around on SA) between each exam.

insanityv2 fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Dec 7, 2012

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay

Lote posted:

Most of this is cribbing from the OP or from specific posts in this thread.

0L Bingo Card choices:

*I had a conversation with a guy that was going to SMU Law in order to be a sports agent. He was 30 and starting 3L. What do you say when the bridge is out and the train has no brakes?

I took a study break to make this from your post with a few modifications:

Mind if i start spreading it around?

insanityv2 fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Dec 7, 2012

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009
The strange thing about law school is that it has made me like arguing/debating less (about non-law subjects). It's just so tedious. If anything, people who love to argue should be dissuaded from going to law school, lest they do have this cherished part of their life also stamped out.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

Green Crayons posted:

The strange thing about law school is that it has made me like arguing/debating less (about non-law subjects). It's just so tedious. If anything, people who love to argue should be dissuaded from going to law school, lest they do have this cherished part of their life also stamped out.

It's more because most people consider an anecdote or something to be sufficient proof for a proposition. I find it extremely annoying because now all my relatives know I'm liberal and love to bring up whatever nonsensical fw: they received about Obamacare or whatever.

Solid Lizzie
Sep 26, 2011

Forbes or GTFO

Green Crayons posted:

This, a million times over. And I know some douchebags who take this as some kind of out-lawyered-the-lawyer concession. No, I just don't want to have the argument, in large part because I know so much more about the subject that explaining my position would require basically writing a goddamn memo, and that is not fun for me.

Agesilaus
Jan 27, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Omerta posted:

It's more because most people consider an anecdote or something to be sufficient proof for a proposition. I find it extremely annoying because now all my relatives know I'm liberal and love to bring up whatever nonsensical fw: they received about Obamacare or whatever.

If it makes you feel any better, your liberal views probably annoy all your relatives/acquaintances just as much.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

Agesilaus posted:

If it makes you feel any better, your liberal views probably annoy all your relatives/acquaintances just as much.

Yeah, but I never bring up politics because they're all die-hard tea party-ish people. It's not like I'm cruising around family Thanksgiving being a social justice warrior over dinner.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

insanityv2 posted:

I took a study break to make this from your post with a few modifications:

Mind if i start spreading it around?

Go for it. It's not like I came up with anything original anyway. :v:

Stop
Nov 27, 2005

I like every pitch, no matter where it is.

Stop fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Jan 30, 2013

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Solid Lizzie posted:

This, a million times over. And I know some douchebags who take this as some kind of out-lawyered-the-lawyer concession. No, I just don't want to have the argument, in large part because I know so much more about the subject that explaining my position would require basically writing a goddamn memo, and that is not fun for me.

The worst is Torts. I swear to god Joe on the street can just read some newspaper article, completely miss the point and just make up tort law.

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012

Roger_Mudd posted:

10 years total

Fuuuuuuuuuuck, so us helping broke rear end people for profit don't count :(

Welp, looks like it's bare minimum for 25 for me....

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005

woozle wuzzle posted:

Fuuuuuuuuuuck, so us helping broke rear end people for profit don't count :(

Welp, looks like it's bare minimum for 25 for me....

How on Earth is working for broke people profitable?

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

HolySwissCheese posted:

How on Earth is working for broke people profitable?

Bankruptcy. :biotruths:

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005

Omerta posted:

Bankruptcy. :biotruths:
Anyone rich enough to hire a bankruptcy lawyer isn't really a public interest sob story.

Now working for the government. That's the public interest.

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

You're moving who to the bullpen?

HolySwissCheese posted:

Anyone rich enough to hire a bankruptcy lawyer isn't really a public interest sob story.

The people who hire Chapter 13 mills are often in pretty bad shape.

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
http://www.reddit.com/r/LawSchool/comments/14hc00/0l_bingo/

I rustled some jimmies. Lol. I didn't expect it to be so controversial. I mean even the biggest TTT apologist would admit that only people who really want to be lawyers and have realistic idea of what lawyers did all day should go right?

Right?

insanityv2 fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Dec 8, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

HolySwissCheese posted:

I am a cheap-rear end divorce lawyer who puts people on payments of $100/month.

THAT'S public interest.