Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Philip J Fry posted:

^^^
VTEC, yo.

And here's what happens when you cheap out on a proper lift.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yr9Yt5yrIg

Man don't post poo poo like that without some :nms: warnings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
lemme guess. Iron Rock Offroad "longarm" lift with the "revolutionary caster adjuster"?

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
I think it was some sort of 'home brew' long arm with the passenger upper control arm left out. (3 link! :downs:)

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

So when something like that happens, how do you go about fixing it without catching a spring with your face?

I don't know about you, but I'm not a fan of catching springs with my face. :feelsgood:

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

some texas redneck posted:

How the gently caress do mounts even get to that point? Goddamn.

Someone hasn't seen a big block V8 before

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

You've got the cutest little baby face...

Philip J Fry posted:

I think it was some sort of 'home brew' long arm with the passenger upper control arm left out. (3 link! :downs:)

Lookit that flex, man!

Seriously, that spring looks about ready to fly out and kill 1/2 the kids in the elementary school across the street.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!

Philip J Fry posted:

^^^
VTEC, yo.

Apparently upper control arms broke..

from the comment section

"he was trying to pull a log backwards with it chained to the front bumper. well the upper control arms broke and it rolled the entire axle forward so far forward that the wheels turned side to side rather than left to right lol"

Veeb0rg fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Dec 3, 2012

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
Well there was only one upper connected, so it wouldn't have taken much.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Philip J Fry posted:

Looks like they tried to make something out of Cars. And sadly succeeded.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Sippin that potion hit the three wheel motion :whatup:

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City

Dr 14 INCH DICK Md posted:

That's loving awesome :coolfish:

DixielandDelight
Jul 23, 2012

I'd really like to see the side view

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Apparently both ball joints failed, and hilarity ensued.

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH

:stare:

I'm guessing one failed and pulled the other one apart under the stress, taking the brake hose and the ABS sensor wire along with it. I'm amazed the sway bar link is still in one piece.
Is there any serious damage to the rim and/or control arm?

Root Bear fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Dec 7, 2012

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

I guess that's one way to "slam" your truck.

Budget Monty
Jul 25, 2005

Ask me about my torrid love affair with Geico :ese:

Das Volk posted:

Horrible E30 failure (torquing the caliper bolts without Loc-Tite can be perilous...)

I work at a German shop, and I have never once heard of anyone using loc-tite on caliper bolts. Properly tightened caliper bolts don't come out. I have also never seen a tech actually use a torque wrench to tighten them. Who told you this was a thing?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Budget Monty posted:

I work at a German shop, and I have never once heard of anyone using loc-tite on caliper bolts. Properly tightened caliper bolts don't come out. I have also never seen a tech actually use a torque wrench to tighten them. Who told you this was a thing?

Torque wrench, yes. It's your brakes, after all.

Loctite...

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
After having to pull a wheel on the side of the road TWICE to tighten "Gutentight" non-Loctite'd caliper-to-bracket bolts and also caliper bracket-to-strut bolts because the caliper was slapping the inside of the wheel, I use Loctite on the caliper-to-bracket bolts and a torque wrench on both sets. You may also notice that the caliper-to-caliper bracket bolts that come with the caliper rebuild kits are pre-coated with blue loctite, and that the Bentley and BMW shop manuals specify that they should be loctited/one-time-use only.

I don't much fancy cutting corners with brakes, suspension, steering, or drivetrain bits. I've a good torque wrench, I might as well use the bastard instead of risking some important bit departing the vehicle at speed without notice.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Dec 7, 2012

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
Interesting that the bolts are meant to be single use. That would explain a few things.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
Are single-use caliper-bracket bolts a German thing? I haven't seen recommendations to replace them on any of the American and Japanese vehicles I've wrenched on.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
They're :airquote:"Single Use":airquote: because LocTite is apparently inferior to the "Superior Bavarian Threadlocking Compound (Special Part #34111163421 DEALER ONLY)

Use LocTite/torqewrench for reassembly, give no fucks.

\/\/\/ I don't think the metal that stretches at 25lb/ft in an M6 bolt while still maintaining the tensile strength required to hold a caliper on when brakes are applied has been invented yet/is possible in this universe. So no, they are not TTY.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Dec 7, 2012

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Are you sure they are not torque to yield bolts because re-using those with whatever loctite you put on is a really bad idea.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Beach Bum posted:

They're :airquote:"Single Use":airquote: because LocTite is apparently inferior to the "Superior Bavarian Threadlocking Compound (Special Part #34111163421 DEALER ONLY)

Use LocTite/torqewrench for reassembly, give no fucks.

I have a feeling that they sell it themselves for one of two reasons. Either you are completely wrong and its not actually loctite or to prevent idiots from super gluing their parts together.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Dec 7, 2012

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

MadScientistWorking posted:

I have a feeling that they sell it themselves for one of two reasons. Either you are completely wrong and its not actually loctite or to prevent idiots from super gluing their parts together.

It is probably the same poo poo in a different tube and a markup.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Replacing a gearbox in one of our presses today, we've come to check the timing is still good & discovered the feeder angle display goes:

359'
360'
000'
001'

This is making it interesting.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Cakefool posted:

Replacing a gearbox in one of our presses today, we've come to check the timing is still good & discovered the feeder angle display goes:

359'
360'
000'
001'

If I had to try to puzzle that out I would say that 360 is the first half of 0 and 0 is the second half.

(I hope that made sense)

MadScientistWorking posted:

:rolleyes: Yeah I'm sure BMW just paints the tips of the caliper bolts blue for fun and the Shop Manual/Bentley recommend threadlocker because they've got a kickback deal with Loctite. :jerkbag:

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Dec 8, 2012

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Beach Bum posted:

:rolleyes: Yeah I'm sure BMW just paints the tips of the caliper bolts blue for fun and the Shop Manual/Bentley recommend threadlocker because they've got a kickback deal with Loctite. :jerkbag:

You are correct that BMW use blue Loctite for caliber bolts. They really should use red. It's also pretty unnecessary, if you just torque the bolts to specs.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Sir Cornelius posted:

You are correct that BMW use blue Loctite for caliber bolts. They really should use red. It's also pretty unnecessary, if you just torque the bolts to specs.

I thought about your comment about red for a bit when I realized how hot brakes can get. You have a point there.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Cakefool posted:

359'
360'
000'
001'

Was the designer named Bloody Stupid Johnson, by chance? :haw:

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Beach Bum posted:

I thought about your comment about red for a bit when I realized how hot brakes can get. You have a point there.
Wow, that IS a good point. Blue and red are both rated to 300F, and red re-liquifies above 482F. (Loctite doesn't have this # published for blue, but I'd imagine it's similar.) I wouldn't expect to see caliper bolts get this hot during normal use, but it's not outside the realm of possibility.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Speaking of getting hot, this little mazda just came in. Said "the heat went away, then it got really hot and it turned off while trying to drive it here.". Compression averaged between 10-30psi all 4 and the radiator cap melted.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

Speaking of getting hot, this little mazda just came in. Said "the heat went away, then it got really hot and it turned off while trying to drive it here.". Compression averaged between 10-30psi all 4 and the radiator cap melted.

Is 10-30 the spread, or the plain compression? :ohdear:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Thats uh, total per cylinder :v:

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Thats uh, total per cylinder :v:

Sleeve 'em with leftover DMD cans. It'll be fine.

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

What fun is a project if it doesn't at least slightly ruin your life?
At that point, does it really even count as compression?

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

You should pry the remnants of the radiator cap out and put a cooling system pressure gauge on it while checking compression for comedy sake.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
That reminds me I need to upload a video I took of a vaccuum gauge dancing around doing the hokey pokey.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Beach Bum posted:

If I had to try to puzzle that out I would say that 360 is the first half of 0 and 0 is the second half.

(I hope that made sense)

Nope, there are 361 equal divisions on the display. If I get the chance next week I'll check every 30 degrees against the PLC data (16bit int)

Terrible Robot posted:

Was the designer named Bloody Stupid Johnson, by chance? :haw:

Someone's getting a proper ribbing on Monday, I may use this.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Horrible engineering failure. Who runs a coolant passage through an idler pulley bracket :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.

Horrible engineering failure. Who runs a coolant passage through an idler pulley bracket :psyduck:

Definitely odd but I'd rather deal with a 30 minute and $5 plastic T than metal coolant pipes any day.

Edit: Of course I am biased as I have them on the Corolla but Dorman also just started making metal replacements for the OCD 3.8L owners.