Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice

Earth fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jun 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Thewittyname' posted:

It amazes me the amount of black & white thinking that goes on in here regarding America's place in the world, as if the USA is utter poo poo and the rest of the Western world is the city on the hill.

cloudchamber posted:

There's a certain popular American intellectual who's probably partly to blame for this.

Earth posted:

/\/\/\ And that is? /\/\/\

I think his picture implies that it is Chomsky.

Heck Yes! Loam! fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Dec 7, 2012

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Sword of Chomsky posted:

I think his picture implies that it is Chomsky.

Quite frankly, Chomsky is a very mediocre and populist political writer. He's America's Mark Curtis. (Or is it vce versa?)

Anyway, here have Guatemala's murder rate. In 1954, CIA destroyed G's democracy. In the next decades, 200 000 Mayan indigenous people were killed, and more than a million displaced in ghettos (of a population of less than 10 million).

In 1996, peace was nominally concluded. Since then, murder rates were going rampant and for some groups, peacetime became more dangerous than the civil war. Why? Because Guatemala's governments were incentivized by their US ally to keep up the policy of racism, displacement of indigenous communities and ignorance towards human suffering - all in the name of neoliberal economy. If I were to formulate a simplistic political aphorism, I would say that America's genocidal campaign didn't end with plague blankets, it ended in 2012 with prosecution of its Central American agents. Such as General Rios Montt, brought before courts this February.

This man, a champion of the CIA, murdered tens of thousands of people and in 2003 tried to gain presidency literally as Guatemalan native peoples were unearthing mass graves of his victims.

Kieselguhr Kid
May 16, 2010

WHY USE ONE WORD WHEN SIX FUCKING PARAGRAPHS WILL DO?

(If this post doesn't passive-aggressively lash out at one of the women in Auspol please send the police to do a welfare check.)

Earth posted:

/\/\/\ And that is? /\/\/\

\/\/\/\/ I was referencing the guy telling him to shut the gently caress up. \/\/\/\/

I'm a little confused here, but if you're asking what I think you're asking the bald dude is the late (French) academic Michel Foucault.

The gifs are from an engagement between the two: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WveI_vgmPz8. Foucault did not to my knowledge tell Chompsky to shut the gently caress up, but I kind of wish he did (not that I love Foucault nearly as much as a lot of other lefties seem too).

Also, here's a photo of Foucault with hair.

Kieselguhr Kid fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Dec 7, 2012

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Happy Delaware Day, folks!

Oh also

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

steinrokkan posted:

Quite frankly, Chomsky is a very mediocre and populist political writer. He's America's Mark Curtis. (Or is it vce versa?)

Hey, you gotta start somewhere. As an introduction to contemporary politics, his books are okay. AFAIK it's not like he's making stuff up. Worst thing I can say about "Manufacturing Consent" and "Greatest Hits Collection" (forgot the real title) is that they were too conversational at times. Easy to read, but not a lot of meat there.

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Kieselguhr Kid posted:

I'm a little confused here, but if you're asking what I think you're asking the bald dude is the late (French) academic Michel Foucault.

The gifs are from an engagement between the two: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WveI_vgmPz8. Foucault did not to my knowledge tell Chompsky to shut the gently caress up, but I kind of wish he did (not that I love Foucault nearly as much as a lot of other lefties seem too).

Also, here's a photo of Foucault with hair.

Ahah, I never considered that yes, he probably used to have hair - and now this photo seems quite hilarious.

Anyway, speaking of MF, time to plug another D&D favourite, Umberto Eco's Foucault's Pendulum. Eco is notable first for getting the fedora look right,

Second for being a fat goon,

And third for examining the nature of truth in a novel format in the glorious book Foucault's Pendulum.

poopy pee pee
Feb 13, 2012

I'm a nice guy, hoping to have some fun on these forums, Lol

Davincie posted:

This graph is A: False because saying that scientific invention and development stopped during the 'Christian Dark Ages' is false and B: Incredibly Eurocentric. Also you know Muslim dark ages, no numbers on the vertical axis and so on. Terrible graph.

Actually it's good. I especially like the part about the Posthuman Explosion.

Svaha
Oct 4, 2005

Vladimir Poutine posted:

From the related videos, ominously titled "Atomic Bomb Test on human subjects"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bz9g_rl2JnU
Complete with a Pink Floyd soundtrack. No idea about the context for this footage though. I'm guessing American.

I'm not totally sure, but this looks like it's from the Documentary The Atomic Cafe with Pink Floyd slapped on top.
You can watch the whole thing on youtube. I thoroughly recommend it.
(requires you to sign in)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fKtimeCtcc

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I hate to advocate emptyquoting or shitposting to anyone, but they've always worked for me.

Zeroisanumber posted:

You say that now, but you won't be so :smug: when the spiders rise up and kill you all.

You make out like this would be a bad thing.

Drop a container-load of these on Canberra IMO.

(P.S This spider inhabits something like 2% of the country, centred mostly around Sydney. Other species of it live elsewhere, but they're wussy facsimiles of this one, which has anger management issues.)

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

State Rep. Rashida Tlaib demanding that the State Troopers allow the protestors access to the Capitol. It's been reported that she challenged them to "arrest her." This was after protesters were still blocked from entering the capital despite an injunction against Snyder and the State not allowing people in.

Americans for Prosperity had this tent set up on the capital lawn yesterday blasting Ronald Reagan speeches as loud as possible. A very nice middle finger to the union protesters.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Hey, remember how much fun we all had last year with the anti-Islam ad campaigns on public transit?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Priority.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

Suicide, yeeeeeah...

Protestors storm past barbed wire to overrun a tank guarding the presidential palace in Egypt.

twoday fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Dec 8, 2012

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

steinrokkan posted:

Ahah, I never considered that yes, he probably used to have hair - and now this photo seems quite hilarious.

Anyway, speaking of MF, time to plug another D&D favourite, Umberto Eco's Foucault's Pendulum. Eco is notable first for getting the fedora look right,

Second for being a fat goon,

And third for examining the nature of truth in a novel format in the glorious book Foucault's Pendulum.
Belbo Baggins stars in Foucault's Pendulum: An Unexpected Conspiracy

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
Ed Asner narrates a video about the recent financial crash.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6ZsXrzF8Cc

Fox News is calling it "crude" because it illustrates Trickle Down economics as rich people pissing on the poor.

I'd like to ask Sean Hannity if he's ever heard the phrase "Don't piss on my back and tell me it's raining."

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bH57MnJIjkc

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

Armyman25 posted:

Fox News is calling it "crude" because it illustrates Trickle Down economics as rich people pissing on the poor.

I'd like to ask Sean Hannity if he's ever heard the phrase "Don't piss on my back and tell me it's raining."
I was kind of expecting him to break into Granny Goodness at some point.
Anywho, what could have been a message on consumerism gets twisted into 'dumb vapid bitches' by some MRA cunts.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

gooby on rails posted:

Hey, remember how much fun we all had last year with the anti-Islam ad campaigns on public transit?

Time for a "It came from Facebook" :smug: atheist post.

Donkwich
Feb 28, 2011

Grimey Drawer

gooby on rails posted:

It cannot be emphasized well enough how much Objectivists absolutely and psychotically hate Muslims and the Middle East. Back during the Bush era Ayn Rand Institute founder Leonard Peikoff spoke with Bill O'Reilly about war with Iran, and managed to render O'Reilly gobsmacked and look reasonable and sane by comparison.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoAWCwm-UXw

When you see those ads, realize that you are dealing with people who believe that it is morally justifiable to slaughter millions of innocent human beings for the sake of "learning a lesson" about American hegemony. It ain't all just trains and steel with these people.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

cloudchamber posted:

There's a certain popular American intellectual who's probably partly to blame for this.

Do you have some articles where Chomsky says this? The few Chomsky articles I've read seem to condemn not only western nations but the concept of nations in general.

Here's some plastic killing animals. Hurray plastic!

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Armyman25 posted:

Way back in the 1890s of the Gilded Age, when capitalism was running rampant and nobody gave a flying gently caress about the poor, there was this really odd theory popular with those in wealth and power that the economy was kind of like a horse and a sparrow. The horse, ofcourse, was the rich, and the sparrow the poor. The theory was, as John Galbraith sarcastically put it, that "if you feed the horse enough oats, some will pass through to the road for the sparrows." And feed the horse they did, which has been credited as a major reason for the Panic of 1896, an acute economic depression.

How times have changed. Back in the day the rich wanted you to eat their poo poo, now they're content to just piss on you.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Armyman25 posted:

What the gently caress? When did Armyman start posting things worth reading?

DiggityDoink fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Dec 8, 2012

SSJ2 Goku Wilders
Mar 24, 2010

DiggityDoink posted:

SSJ2 Goku Wilders fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Dec 8, 2012

Snowman Crossing
Dec 4, 2009

thanks facebook

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Yeah, about that...

(Poet Joseph Brodsky on trial for "social parasitism")

Crocuta
Nov 6, 2004
wakkawa

Rand alPaul posted:

Do you have some articles where Chomsky says this? The few Chomsky articles I've read seem to condemn not only western nations but the concept of nations in general.

Chomsky has commented on this, the gist of his position is that you should mainly criticize the actions of your own nation, according to him this is were your words have the most effect. His reasoning is that nobody in, say China, would care if an American intellectual criticizes the PRC for its oppression of Tibet, you know, just another American imperialist pig-dog interfering in the internal affairs of China. And vice versa, nobody in America cares if a Chinese intellectual criticizes the American invasion of Iraq, just another kooky communist running his mouth. He's written about other countries on occasion, but he specializes in US foreign policy. So it's easy to get the impression that he doesn't care about the crimes of non-western nations.

As for Chomsky's position on nations he leans toward the anarchist stance, back in the 30s & 40s he was a Zionist, but he didn't think that the Jews should create a nation state in Palestine.

So, I need a picture..

This is another propaganda poster, this time a US piece from World War I after a British original. This one also has a monster striding across the ocean, this time landing on the ruin strewn shores of America. The helmet is a German Pickelhaube, although replaced by the Stahlhelm (basically the same model as those worn by the Nazis in WWII) by the time of America's entry into the war (1917) it remained a symbol of German militarism and continues to be. The monster has a mustache in the style of the German Kaiser. The woman is supposed to be Lady Liberty. The "kultur" on the club might be mocking the German pretension of being the bearer of European cultural ideas, but it might also be a reference to Kulturkampf, a Prussian campaign of suppression of the Catholic church in the 19th century that apparently lived on as a term of propaganda beyond that period.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3zY6towDsg

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW
I noticed he didn't address the major issue of them living in West Virginia.

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice

Earth fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jun 18, 2014

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

DiggityDoink posted:

He's actually been doing that for a while now. I hope in my little black heart he's reformed and seen the light. :3:

Troolari
Aug 15, 2012

21:25 matt | hi my name is troolari
21:25 matt | *cuts hair like villain from 5th element*

Anime rendition of the Brilliant Genius of Humanity, Great Architect of Communism, Gardener of Human Happiness etc.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prs6OdhK9rI

The Observer
Jan 16, 2010

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Fort Walton Beach is privileged to have a local crazy person with a vacant lot on which they can showcase their bizarre sign making skills.

There were a few others but they were hard to read since they are so poorly thrown together. Plus the weather and sun tear them apart over time.

Right before the election there was a new sign thrown up which I sadly didn't get to snap a picture of. It read:
"VOTE GOD COUNTRY ROMNEY"

I wondered what the lot would feature now that the election is over, so I took a drive down to see if the place got updated.

This new one greeted me today. It appears this person is not taking the election results too well.

Franco Caution fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Dec 9, 2012

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T.Worth
Aug 31, 2012

by XyloJW

Vladimir Poutine posted:

From the related videos, ominously titled "Atomic Bomb Test on human subjects"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bz9g_rl2JnU
Complete with a Pink Floyd soundtrack. No idea about the context for this footage though. I'm guessing American.

It is from Operation Tumbler-Snapper. Effects and maneuver tests in '52 at the Nevada Test site.

As can be seen, they knew what the direct effects were pretty well and were trying to see how the troops would go if they used nukes to breech enemy lines and sent them in after.

Full video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0r_4v2hA5c

• Locked thread