Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pause it lively
Aug 31, 2006

ignore.

Soviet Commubot posted:

Having grown up in outstate Michigan I can't help but read every "they" in that article as "black people". Having grown up in outstate Michigan that's what "people in Detroit" is usually code for when discussing politics in Michigan.

Personally, I've always thought it would be better to create a metropolitan government and annex the suburbs to Detroit. Where are you white people going to run to this time?

White Detroiters did enormous damage to a beautiful city with their racism.

"Detroit Industry" by Diego Rivera at the Detroit Institute of Arts.

What articles like that one don't mention is that the State of Michigan is withholding 220 million dollars in revenue sharing funds that it agreed to provide to Detroit in return for lowering its income tax rate. That's 220 million dollars, which is over seven times the projected 30 million dollar revenue shortfall that Detroit is facing this year. But if you just read articles like the one linked above, you'd get the impression that it's irresponsible local black politicians who are responsible for Detroit's budget problems. Not true at all, but racist stereotypes serve as a convenient way to convince white people in Michigan that black cities "deserve" harsh austerity measures.

pause it lively fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Dec 10, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
At Art Miami this weekend, they had 2 of the pieces Banksy put up in the West Bank, the original walls sawed off and transported (smuggled?) out of the West Bank.

And this:

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Vladimir Poutine posted:

What is that meant to be? It looks like the Mexican flag with a gun shot on it.
It's meant to be what it looks like. It's from last month's presidential succession, protesting against the collateral damage from Felipe Calderon's drug war.

Detroitpics:

Islamist hordes imposing sharia law on a vacant lot:

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Dec 10, 2012

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Missak Manouchian was a French-Armenian poet, a militant communist in the Immigrant Workforce Movement and a military commissioner of the FTP-MOI (Partisan irregulars of the MOI) in the Paris region. He was 37 years old when executed by the Nazis for his Résistance work.

Manouchian's last letter to his wife has been preserved. Melinée Manouchian eluded Nazi capture and survived the war.

quote:

"My dear Melinée, my beloved little orphan,

In a few hours I will no longer be of this world. We are going to be executed today at 3:00. This is happening to me like an accident in my life; I don’t believe it, but I nevertheless know that I will never see you again.

What can I write you? Everything inside me is confused, yet clear at the same time.
I joined the Army of Liberation as a volunteer, and I die within inches of victory and the final goal. I wish for happiness for all those who will survive and taste the sweetness of the freedom and peace of tomorrow. I'm sure that the French people, and all those who fight for freedom, will know how to honor our memory with dignity. At the moment of death, I proclaim that I have no hatred for the German people, or for anyone at all; everyone will receive what he is due, as punishment and as reward. The German people, and all other people, will live in peace and brotherhood after the war, which will not last much longer. Happiness for all ... I have one profound regret, and that’s of not having made you happy; I would so much have liked to have a child with you, as you always wished. So I'd absolutely like you to marry after the war, and, for my happiness, to have a child and, to fulfill my last wish, marry someone who will make you happy. All my goods and all my affairs, I leave them to you and to my nephews. After the war you can request your right to a war pension as my wife, for I die as a regular soldier in the French army of liberation.

With the help of friends who'd like to honor me, you should publish my poems and writings that are worth being read. If possible, you should take my memory to my parents in Armenia. I will soon die with 23 of my comrades, with the courage and the serenity of a man with a peaceful conscience; for, personally, I've done no one ill, and if I have, it was without hatred. Today is sunny. It’s in looking at the sun and the beauties of nature that I loved so much that I will say farewell to life and to all of you, my beloved wife, and my beloved friends. I forgive all those who did me evil, or who wanted to do so, with the exception of he who betrayed us to redeem his skin, and those who sold us out. I ardently kiss you, as well as your sister and all those who know me, near and far; I hold you all against my heart. Farewell. Your friend, your comrade, your husband,
Manouchian Michel

P.S. I have 15,000 francs in the valise on the rue de Plaisance. If you can get it, pay off all my debts and give the rest to Armenia. MM"

quote:

In the wake of the executions, the Germans printed 15,000 propaganda posters on red background paper. The red posters (Affiche Rouge) became famous. They bore photos of ten of the dead, each within its own black medallion. The center photo of Manouchian had the following inscription: "Armenian gang leader, 56 bombings, 150 dead, 600 wounded." The poster was intended to portray the members of MOI (and the Resistance in general) as criminal, murderous foreigners who were a danger to law-abiding, cooperative citizens. But, people marked the red posters with "Morts pour la France!" (they died for France). Pasted on walls all over Paris, the posters became emblems of martyrdom by freedom fighters, and contributed to popular support for the Resistance.

ekuNNN fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Dec 10, 2012

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Abbostford, B.C. cops have found a way to solve all crime just in time for the holidays! Just send a card with a pic of Santa packing heat to those with 'known criminal ties', whatever that means. Given the time of year, this feels like on of those "we have to spend every penny in the budget" kind of deals.

Story.

Ughh. :canada:

Mitchicon
Nov 3, 2006

JoelJoel posted:

Abbostford, B.C. cops have found a way to solve all crime just in time for the holidays! Just send a card with a pic of Santa packing heat to those with 'known criminal ties', whatever that means. Given the time of year, this feels like on of those "we have to spend every penny in the budget" kind of deals.

Story.

Ughh. :canada:

I was going to commit a few stagecoach robberies, but Santa looks pretty mean. Gonna stay home and be good now.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Mitchicon posted:

I was going to commit a few stagecoach robberies, but Santa looks pretty mean. Gonna stay home and be good now.

He'll be banging down your door if you keep forgetting to post a pic!

Content:

A collection of the posters and texts from the Atelier Populaire (popular workshop) of the Mai '68 movement in Paris: http://1000littlehammers.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/may68-posters_from_the_revolution.pdf

Not many are very high quality, but the book Beauty is in the Streets, by Philippe Vermès has decent quality prints of tons of amazing protest posters.

For an added bonus, check out Occuprint and their awseome collection of OWS posters.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Twelve Presidents with Boob Faces. (possibly :nws:)

It is exactly what it sounds like.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

JoelJoel posted:

He'll be banging down your door if you keep forgetting to post a pic!

Content:

A collection of the posters and texts from the Atelier Populaire (popular workshop) of the Mai '68 movement in Paris: http://1000littlehammers.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/may68-posters_from_the_revolution.pdf

Not many are very high quality, but the book Beauty is in the Streets, by Philippe Vermès has decent quality prints of tons of amazing protest posters.

For an added bonus, check out Occuprint and their awseome collection of OWS posters.

Awesome stuff, thanks. From the pdf:

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

midnightclimax posted:

Awesome stuff, thanks. From the pdf:

No prob. Love the art style. Here are some of the major ones you might recognize (if for nothing else from parodies of them you may have seen):

"May '68. Beginning of a long struggle"

"Beauty is in the street"

and my personal fav:

Oh, and have some de Gualle:

Go here for context on this one (the silhouette is de Gaulle)

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

quote:

Blake Fall-Conroy, “Minimum Wage Machine,” 2008-2010

This machine allows anyone to work for minimum wage for as long as they like. Turning the crank on the side releases one penny every 4.97 seconds, for a total of $7.25 per hour. This corresponds to minimum wage for a person in New York.

This piece is brilliant on multiple levels, particularly as social commentary. Without a doubt, most people who started operating the machine for fun would quickly grow disheartened and stop when realizing just how little they’re earning by turning this mindless crank. A person would then conceivably realize that this is what nearly two million people in the United States do every day…at much harder jobs than turning a crank. This turns the piece into a simple, yet effective argument for raising the minimum wage.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
That is a brilliant exhibit.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
:ohdear: Don't forget to post a picture mlmp08

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice

Earth fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jun 18, 2014

Mitchicon
Nov 3, 2006

mlmp08 posted:

That is a brilliant exhibit.

What does "full operational capability mean"? It might lead to a change in ordnance or military logistics.

Earth posted:

You son of a bitch, I came here to post this.

Fine, you get the glory for that. I'll post something in celebration of the upcoming war on Christmas:

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

You travelled a long way for
"I don't know", sonny.
:whip: :cthulhu: :shivdurf:

It took me a longer time than it should have to spot that!

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Mitchicon posted:

What does "full operational capability mean"? It might lead to a change in ordnance or military logistics.

Acquisitions posted:

As for Full Operational Capability (FOC), in general, is attained when all units and/or organizations in the force structure scheduled to receive a system have received it and have the ability to employ and maintain it.

Either the US RQ-170 surveillance drone lost over Iran or a mockup of one, depending on who you believe.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

For some reason half of the images in the last few pages of this thread aren't visible.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osnjAb-hoPo

Misandrist Duck
Oct 22, 2012

Highspeeddub posted:

For some reason half of the images in the last few pages of this thread aren't visible.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

Barometer posted:

It took me a longer time than it should have to spot that!

Illuminati is a pretty fun game. I always play as the bankers.

I think this was recently republished:

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Some useful advice for the prospective time traveller:

Houston Euler
Nov 5, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

An employee at the "Stay Stylish" store in Gaza fills a bottle of perfume named after the M75 rockets which were launched at civilians in Tel-Aviv.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom

PENETRATION TESTS
Dec 26, 2011

built upon dope and vice

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Immanentize? Que?

[Also I make a positive, non-objectifying comment about the appearance of the woman in that picture]

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer
We miss you, DFW :(

click for big

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AK7gI5lMB7M

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Immanentize? Que?

"Immanentize the eschaton" means roughly "advance to the next stage of human development".

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

In 1909 Teddy Roosevelt went to Africa, they made toys to celebrate.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

wyoming posted:

In 1909 Teddy Roosevelt went to Africa, they made toys to celebrate.

Kung-fu grip Teddy doesn't look terribly happy to be on safari. Immersion broken.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

This is Free Trader Beowulf, calling anyone...
Grimey Drawer

Signage all over my old hospital notifying patients that they will be cross checked against a controlled substance prescription database before being prescribed and before being dispensed any scheduled drug. This is an effort to crack down on "doctor shopping" where drug-seekers will visit multiple physicians or facilities, particularly emergency rooms to collect prescriptions for drugs like hydrocodone. A thousand Kentuckians die every year from prescription overdoses, a mortality rate that is approaching that of motor vehicle incidents.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Xenoid
Dec 9, 2006

Rhandhali posted:

Signage all over my old hospital notifying patients that they will be cross checked against a controlled substance prescription database before being prescribed and before being dispensed any scheduled drug. This is an effort to crack down on "doctor shopping" where drug-seekers will visit multiple physicians or facilities, particularly emergency rooms to collect prescriptions for drugs like hydrocodone. A thousand Kentuckians die every year from prescription overdoses, a mortality rate that is approaching that of motor vehicle incidents.

In BC, Canada the number of opiod/opiate related deaths from ODs is equal to the number of drunk driving deaths, but nobody ever talks about that because you know they're all just loving junkies anyway.

This is a picture of East Hastings in Vancouver but apparently most of the deaths are taking place in the Kootenays which is the bottom right corner of BC by Alberta and Washington. Bumfuck country full of weird polygamists and other undesirables as a result of immigrants from Eastern Europe in the late 19 & early 20th century.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
The University of Pittsburgh Medical Center's non-medical employees have been attempting to unionize, complaining of wages so low they've had to go to food banks not to go hungry. Well, never fear, UPMC has their back!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Xenoid posted:

In BC, Canada the number of opiod/opiate related deaths from ODs is equal to the number of drunk driving deaths, but nobody ever talks about that because you know they're all just loving junkies anyway.

This is a picture of East Hastings in Vancouver but apparently most of the deaths are taking place in the Kootenays which is the bottom right corner of BC by Alberta and Washington. Bumfuck country full of weird polygamists and other undesirables as a result of immigrants from Eastern Europe in the late 19 & early 20th century.

I've heard that part of the reason the Downtown Eastside is in such bad shape started with the Japanese Interment Camps during WWII basically tearing the area apart and it hasn't recovered ever since but I don't know how much truth there is to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRXLLqWTiPo

• Locked thread