Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Maybe Togami bulked up to make Fukawa lose interest in him - or ate her depending on how crazy the outside world still is. But, if Biggie Smalls here is Togami, I get the feeling he's not long for this game seeing as we already know a lot about him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Frostyyy posted:

This girl I instantly love in the same way I did Celes.

Me too, though that may be because of my secret weakness for punk fashion.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I just realized something else that supports my "theory" about Fat Togami. He clearly inherited his mother's love of donuts and his father's love of physical activity.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Crabtree posted:

But, if Biggie Smalls here is Togami, I get the feeling he's not long for this game seeing as we already know a lot about him.
Yeah, it's a horror movie staple - whenever someone returns for a sequel, that person is usually one of the first to die.

Which sucks, because Togami was one of my favorite characters in DR1. :(

Rith
Oct 10, 2012

YOU'VE GOT THAT WRONG!

Ergonomix posted:

The only ones who don't remind me of anyone are red haired girl and the broody guy that hasn't had any lines yet.

Red-haired girl looks like Mukuro to me, although that might just be the freckles.

I'm intrigued by the fact that we see Naegi-esque hoodie guy before we really meet our protagonist. I don't know whether to predict that Not Naegi will be fantastically important or that he'll be killed in the first case.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Crabtree posted:

Maybe Togami bulked up to make Fukawa lose interest in him - or ate her depending on how crazy the outside world still is. But, if Biggie Smalls here is Togami, I get the feeling he's not long for this game seeing as we already know a lot about him.

I kinda hope not. The last game had great chemistry between Togami and the rest of the cast, and it only looks to get better now that he's fat and gives off a different first impression. He probably won't make it to the end again but he's definitely not out in the first round.

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

I am quite willing to believe that these characters aren't actually the final cast, they're so "In your face" with the previous game character references. Something is definitely going on here.

Frostyyy
Feb 24, 2012

You're going to die.
Personally I think the most likely explanation is that he's part of the large Togami family. Given that Byakuya's backstory was all about his family, I don't think it's much of a stretch to think his relatives could show up.
So he's his cousin, or something. That's what I'm going with :colbert:

gegi
Aug 3, 2004
Butterfly Girl
Most of these characters are so odd-looking and so obviously related to the previous game's cast that I find myself hoping this is all a giant fakeout designed to mess with the heads of people who'd played the first game, and most of them will shortly be revealed to be illusions and replaced by the real cast.

It's possible they'll grow on me though.

windylion
Oct 9, 2012
Oh man this is exciting. I didn't come in til way late last time so I'm pumped to be here from the beginning.

First impressions: I think the chef guy actually looks really cute. I am excited for the big beefy guy and I hope he doesn't die soon. Also the kid with the white hair and the hoodie looks like a cracked out Naegi. drat some, lay off the drugs.

No one else has asked this, so I'm wondering: how the hell is fat Togami in high school again? At the end of DR he's 19. Maybe Fatgami is his son or twin or something.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
hahahaha I AM SO PUMPED.

New Dangan, double the anime.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I think that actually IS Togami and, if I may go out on a limb, there's a conspiracy here we're not privy to.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?

Frostyyy posted:

Personally I think the most likely explanation is that he's part of the large Togami family. Given that Byakuya's backstory was all about his family, I don't think it's much of a stretch to think his relatives could show up.
So he's his cousin, or something. That's what I'm going with :colbert:

If he is Togami's relative, then he has to die before the game ends because in DR1 Monobear mentioned all of Togami's relatives were dead. So for that to be true and for Fatogami still be Togami's relative, this game needs to be happening simultaneously to DR1 and he needs to die before the game ends.

If he is Togami himself, then I have to wonder how the hell you can get so fat in a post-apocalyptic world. Like, that takes a certain type of skill.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
Oh my god the chef is so adorable he looks just like Ham Shears :swoon:

Orv
May 4, 2011

Frostyyy posted:

...the large Togami family.

:v:

I'd actually be kind of disappointed if that's Byakuya, he's too smart to come back, I'd think.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

windylion posted:

No one else has asked this, so I'm wondering: how the hell is fat Togami in high school again? At the end of DR he's 19. Maybe Fatgami is his son or twin or something.

Well, Togami did make it clear in DR1 that he's part of the DR-Illuminati and all, so I'm thinking he might just be a clone that was made before the Most Despairing Event.

Makes as much sense as anything else, at least.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Call Now posted:

Oh my god the chef is so adorable he looks just like Ham Shears :swoon:

The chef looks like he would cook your limbs and serve them at a dinner party Hannibal Lector style.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Sherringford posted:

If he is Togami's relative, then he has to die before the game ends because in DR1 Monobear mentioned all of Togami's relatives were dead. So for that to be true and for Fatogami still be Togami's relative, this game needs to be happening simultaneously to DR1 and he needs to die before the game ends.

Or Junko could have been lying.

Milli
Sep 28, 2009

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Redhead camera girl and punk girl own. Fatogami owns.
Oh god I'm so hyped, I need more chapters already!

Also that first bit of DR:0 has piqued my interest - I'm always here for more batshit Junko!

Walterion
Feb 26, 2010

Sherringford posted:

If he is Togami himself, then I have to wonder how the hell you can get so fat in a post-apocalyptic world. Like, that takes a certain type of skill.

Or how he got trapped, again, in a classroom.

Right at the start of this game we can already tell some of the designs are close to the ones in DR1, which might probably toy with us in some shape or form, can't wait to see when the bad stuff starts to happen.

Also, we can spot the fanservice character, so no need to look any further than that. (now if she dies first, there goes the fan service).

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

Sherringford posted:

He accidentally stumbled into Hope's Peak again between DR and DR2. There he discovered that if he eats the bodies, no one will ever find them, so no trial will be ever held

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Yeah, pretty much.

Ground floorin' it up this time. I'm still not sure whose design I like the most right now. Gotta get used to them first.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

The Devil Tesla posted:

I kinda hope not. The last game had great chemistry between Togami and the rest of the cast, and it only looks to get better now that he's fat and gives off a different first impression. He probably won't make it to the end again but he's definitely not out in the first round.

Yes, but that great chemistry was mostly his interactions with Fukawa and his interest in “winning” the first monobear game, both of which we’ve already seen before. Also, if the same shenanigans start to go down he’s a giant liability not only because of his past experience, but the fact that he’d have to be more thoroughly brainwashed so he doesn’t remember any inconvenient facts or similarities about the last game. He's a giant target in more ways than one.

Sherringford posted:

He's the sole heir of a vast fortune, he's got to look wealthy as much as hoard it to maintain his position over the lesser people. That or past trauma's turned him into a compulsive eater.

Conro101
Jan 6, 2012

Dr. Conro James Norock, Robot Sarcasm Master
Perhaps this is a younger class of Hope's Peak, or something? So, fatty Togami would be the real Togami's sibling, or something, and it would explain the suspicious lack of the huge vault door and Monoworld.

Levity
Oct 9, 2012
I love Fatgami way more than I thought I would so far.

The "compulsive eater" theory might actually be accurate because he seems like he might be sensitive about his weight. Did you see his reaction to the 'fatso' comment?

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Ixjuvin posted:

Clear as a crisp spring morning. Jun... kos... in the coffee.

Super High School Level Movie Trivia Buff :allears:

Vaguido
Feb 22, 2011

When the drug test comes back positive for performance enhancing drugs.

Levity posted:

I love Fatgami way more than I thought I would so far.

The "compulsive eater" theory might actually be accurate because he seems like he might be sensitive about his weight. Did you see his reaction to the 'fatso' comment?

I felt that was more, "We have more important stuff to talk about" than being sensitive about his weight. If this is indeed DR1 Togami, and not a reletive, I believe that his superiority complex wouldn't allow him to feel bad about himself for any reason. In fact, you're all lame for NOT being fat. So there.

Also, speaking of character designs, can't wait for the next update, I wanna see a sprite for that ninja looking guy with the purple scarf, but I don't wanna search for him online for fear of spoilers.

windylion
Oct 9, 2012
Also, calling it now, the one in the suit is a girl. S/he has a very feminine face. I doubt they're gonna go the Chihiro route again but she could be openly female and just butch.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Wandering Knitter posted:

Super High School Level Movie Trivia Buff :allears:

Instead of B-movies, it's anime movies.

"Zach, I've had a certain film on my mind. An adventure movie from 1979 and the directorial debut of a bona fide legend. You know, a dashing thief, a beautiful princess, a corrupt duke, and a royal secret. That's right, it's Hayao Miyazaki's The Castle of Cagliostro, starring none other than Lupin III."

Levity
Oct 9, 2012

Vaguido posted:

I felt that was more, "We have more important stuff to talk about" than being sensitive about his weight. If this is indeed DR1 Togami, and not a reletive, I believe that his superiority complex wouldn't allow him to feel bad about himself for any reason. In fact, you're all lame for NOT being fat. So there.
I dunno, things change. And maybe it's not so much being sensitive as he felt any more jabs/comments would be annoying and he didn't want to deal with it (superiority complex, yeah, but a 'he knows his weight gain is his fault' sort of thing idk)

CrushedB
Jun 2, 2008

I love dude in the scarf and black coat's design. It's like they realized he was getting way too "edgy" and so to avoid pulling a Vincent Valentine they gave him a dorky-rear end haircut to offset the outfit.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Holy poo poo, these characters are at least twice as anime as the ones in the first game. I think Intense Lightning Guy and Not Agent Morgan are already establishing themselves as my favorites. I hope that they survive to the end.

...I hope that everyone survives to the end. :ohdear:

Nonesuch00
Oct 29, 2011

Is it just me, or is anyone else getting a bit Jotaro from this fellow? Must be the chains or something.

That aside, I'm truly excited for this. Let the adventure begin!

draconianlaw posted:

But hey, Mr. Purple Scarf there brooding in the back looks pretty cool. Too bad he had nothing to say.

Also, I'm totally calling it now, he's a cyborg ninja. Or maybe just a robot ninja.

Nonesuch00 fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Dec 11, 2012

Conro101
Jan 6, 2012

Dr. Conro James Norock, Robot Sarcasm Master
The details in their portraits are a lot more pronounced in this game, it feels.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Nonesuch00 posted:

Is it just me, or is anyone else getting a bit Jotaro from this fellow? Must be the chains or something.

That and his general banchou-ness.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

Instead of B-movies, it's anime movies.

"Zach, I've had a certain film on my mind. An adventure movie from 1979 and the directorial debut of a bona fide legend. You know, a dashing thief, a beautiful princess, a corrupt duke, and a royal secret. That's right, it's Hayao Miyazaki's The Castle of Cagliostro, starring none other than Lupin III."

Stop making me want things I will never have.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Rodyle posted:

Stop making me want things I will never have.

Although, imagine how insane the twists would get if Swery was involved :allears:

copy
Jul 26, 2007

I'm gonna be seriously disappointed if that's a kendo sword instead of a pool cue up there. We already had a martial artist, but think about what this series would do with a Super High-school Level Pool Shark.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Ixjuvin posted:

Clear as a crisp spring morning. Jun... kos... in the coffee.

Going back to this - He's got to be a reference, right? The weird hair is just too specific for it not to be, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TKMobile
Apr 30, 2009
The resemblance is uncanny, but that's a girl, I'm telling you. ...Also... isn't buzzcut here on the New/Load Game screen next to Hinata?

• Locked thread