Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Terper
Jun 26, 2012

TKMobile posted:

The resemblance is uncanny, but that's a girl, I'm telling you. ...Also... isn't buzzcut here on the New/Load Game screen next to Hinata?

Might just be what Dangan Ronpa 1 did, and had the character that showed up with Naegi at the start be randomised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
My speculation for Togoonmi is that he's not fat, he's wearing a fat suit padded with huge stacks of money that he's saving so he can maybe bribe Pinkybear or whoever into letting him go.

Dogbutt
Nov 26, 2011

Look at my face.
IT'S TIME

Holy poo poo I can't wait to see this going! This is shaping up to be a great game already!

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

MoonwalkInvincible posted:

Going back to this - He's got to be a reference, right? The weird hair is just too specific for it not to be, right?
I'm not getting what this guy is supposed to be a reference to. Anyone want to fill me in?

BliShem
Dec 21, 2008

That's an... interesting intro screen.

I'm calling the whole thing as Alter Ego's computer simulation, here and now.

Conro101
Jan 6, 2012

Dr. Conro James Norock, Robot Sarcasm Master

Terper posted:

Might just be what Dangan Ronpa 1 did, and had the character that showed up with Naegi at the start be randomised.
That was random? I thought that was Maizono on purpose to fool you into thinking she's more important.

TurboC
Sep 6, 2009

DaveWoo posted:

I'm not getting what this guy is supposed to be a reference to. Anyone want to fill me in?

Francis York Morgan (main character) from Deadly Premonition. Who always wears suits, has a cut on his upper left face (into his hair), and has a very short haircut similar to that.

Walterion
Feb 26, 2010

TKMobile posted:

The resemblance is uncanny, but that's a girl, I'm telling you. ...Also... isn't buzzcut here on the New/Load Game screen next to Hinata?

well, Maizono was on the start screen with Naegi, see where she ended up being for that.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

And here we go! Having missed all of the DR1 thread until the very end I am very excited to spend the next year of my life speculating over this game.

I burst out laughing when I saw Fatogami and like others, I really like punk girl's design.

gegi posted:

Most of these characters are so odd-looking and so obviously related to the previous game's cast that I find myself hoping this is all a giant fakeout designed to mess with the heads of people who'd played the first game, and most of them will shortly be revealed to be illusions and replaced by the real cast.

It's possible they'll grow on me though.

I'm thinking this might be a possibility too, though I will have no problem if I'm wrong here because I already like the new cast.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
The title screen discussion came up about a million times in the old topic, and yes it's random. Here:

HudsonFromAliens
Jun 14, 2012
Anyone getting vibes that the SHSL Kendo/Pool Shark lady looks kind of like the Persona 4 protagonist's drag outfit?

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

The title screen in SDR2 is more than randomized - it's animated. The background scrolls behind the pixelated characters, and whoever is walking along with Hinata changes every couple of seconds.

Since I don't want to give anything away by waiting for someone specific to appear, I decided to record the first character who appears when I took the footage.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Is there anybody who hasn't been called as the killer yet? I think we might still be missing one or two. You know we all want to be able to say it was called after just the first update, right?

kidcoelacanth posted:

So has everyone else decided who they want to live and die based on the tiny amount we've seen so far? I'm rooting for backpack girl personally.

I'm waiting until we find out their names and SHSL abilities first. Although I don't want to spend a lot of time looking at the SHSL Ill Girl if it's possible to avoid it.

Sherringford posted:

Haha, that would be perfect. Hell, William S. Baring-Gould(and somebody else whose named I cannot recall) theorized that Nero Wolfe was Sherlock Holmes' son with Irene Adler. Could Fatogami be Togami's son with...I don't know, who's the DR equivalent of Irene Adler? It's sure as hell not Fukawa.

...Wow. Page three and I feel we already went past the deep end with theories.

Stout actually teased this a couple of times, I believe. I mean, Wolfe is basically American Mycroft Holmes, after all. Fatogami might well follow in the proud tradition of gluttonous antisocial detectives.

Fedule posted:

Stay tuned for some utterly spellbinding discussion about moving words around in sentences.

I am seriously looking forward to this and will be upset if you don't post about it. :colbert:

Dragoon Cody
Aug 3, 2011

It's time to make the moon fall.
I'm going to assume spoilers for DR1 are fine in here, so warning anyone finding this thread first, go read the other one!

DaveWoo posted:

Main character from the game Deadly Premonition, the "wearing a suit and tie while having a similar hair scar" thing is very reminiscent, plus some other stuff that I'd explain except it would involve explaining Deadly Premonition's plot which is hard to do because it makes no sense.

Sherringford posted:

If he is Togami's relative, then he has to die before the game ends because in DR1 Monobear mentioned all of Togami's relatives were dead. So for that to be true and for Fatogami still be Togami's relative, this game needs to be happening simultaneously to DR1 and he needs to die before the game ends.

If he is Togami himself, then I have to wonder how the hell you can get so fat in a post-apocalyptic world. Like, that takes a certain type of skill.
Even assuming Monobear was telling the truth (whether anything said in the last game was actually true is the big question when everyone goes out the door at the end of DR1) for all we know this could be his child or something. All they'd need to do is pull out "it was a time travel door" or whatever they want and they're all set for a twist. The intro was certainly trippy enough for it.

Dragoon Cody fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Dec 11, 2012

Kimitsu
Jan 11, 2012

Bear with me for a moment.
I think I just did a Monobunny twirl. Even having an idea of what to expect from DR1, I was not expecting a reality warp in the opening.

Also, am I the only one who thinks SHSL Chef is very reminiscent of that chef from Phoenix Wright?

SHSL Anne of Green Gables. Also the most famous Western chuunibyou.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.

idonotlikepeas posted:

Is there anybody who hasn't been called as the killer yet? I think we might still be missing one or two. You know we all want to be able to say it was called after just the first update, right?

I'll play this game. I think the SHSL Photographer will be the first killer, based purely on intuition, weighting how interesting I think the design is compared to how bland it it.

Blompkin
Mar 31, 2006

Take care

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Look at this face and tell me he doesn't intend to gleefully to murder the gently caress out of everyone :stonk:.

It begins... we were free from Despair for a time, but now it claws out at us and drags us back in.

Reminds me of my mother in law's partner, 'Shelly'.

Love the start of the new game!

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
Fat Togami is pretty much the best design over both games. I'm really looking forward to finding out whether the character similarities to the first game are just from being made by the same artists or have story relevance.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

MoonwalkInvincible posted:

Holy poo poo, these characters are at least twice as anime as the ones in the first game. I think Intense Lightning Guy and Not Agent Morgan are already establishing themselves as my favorites. I hope that they survive to the end.

...I hope that everyone survives to the end. :ohdear:

Hope as much as you can; it only makes the despair more intense.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Aw hell yiss this is gonna be awesome :swoon:

I am already completely unable to read Fat Togami's lines in any voice other than Cubert from Futurama. He's chubby and has just the right flavor of "pretentious little poo poo with a superiority complex" for it.

Dragoon Cody posted:

Main character from the game Deadly Premonition, the "wearing a suit and tie while having a similar hair scar" thing i very reminiscent), plus some other stuff that I'd explain except it would involve explaining Deadly Premonition's plot which is hard to do because it makes no sense.

This was my immediate reaction to seeing that character and I was really disappointed to find somebody else had posted it first. :smith: Pretty sure it's a girl who just really likes short hair and men's formalwear, though. There's too much anime-girl-face going on there for it to be either a dude or a secret crossdresser.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics
Oh man, the character designs do not disappoint. :allears:

Onto speculation. Eyebrow guy has a whistle, so he might be a coach. The redhead has a camera, so possibly a photographer. But right now, I'm mostly interested in our protagonist. I don't think they would reuse 'luck' as his reason for attending Hope's Peak. Maybe he's a super high school level phony? Super high school level identity theft?

Other random speculation: this all happens prior to Dangan Ronpa. If it's not a different person behind Monobear this time, then Usumi is Mukuro.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.
I am trying really hard not to think about these characters too much, considering we know next to nothing about them. God knows whatever Blondy Suit is won't actually live up to possibly being Dangan Ronpa Francis York Morgan.

I know I'm going to be eating my own words within a few updates.

I'm surprised at how familiar the characters seemed in this first update. A lot of poses that seem straight out of DR1.

Twiddy fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Dec 11, 2012

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Well, here comes my next year's worth of reason why I read somethingawful.com.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!
I am SO EXCITED to be reading this thread from the start. I read the old one after the game had already been finished. One update in and this is already great. I really want to hear what chefdude's voice sounds like. The first thing I noticed with the character portraits was this pose:

I'm still not sure what that's even supposed to be, but there sure are a LOT of parallels to the original cast.

Also, it's a shame the whole thing has to take place during the End of Evangelion.

orenronen posted:

ysalwaysalwaysMeMyselfconsciousNonIndividualityembarrassinguniformityjustwhatHopeI

talent▲individualitybrokenPprobably■finallyIalways○DdomyBestmydreamcomestrue~+i*

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Waffleman_ posted:

Instead of B-movies, it's anime movies.

"Zach, I've had a certain film on my mind. An adventure movie from 1979 and the directorial debut of a bona fide legend. You know, a dashing thief, a beautiful princess, a corrupt duke, and a royal secret. That's right, it's Hayao Miyazaki's The Castle of Cagliostro, starring none other than Lupin III."

"Zach, we were supposed to go to the Monobear meeting in the gymnasium to check out the new incentive to kill, but if you want to act on a hunch I'm with you."

Nefarious Asparagus
Aug 7, 2009

Indubitably, old bean.
What if this is actually a prequel to DR1, and Togami just LOST weight?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

loquacius posted:

There's too much anime-girl-face going on there for it to be either a dude or a secret crossdresser.
Rule #26 of anime is that the former quality has nothing to do with the later statuses.

But looking at the eyes, there are two lashes near the corner of the eye, and the artist usually draws girls with lashes and guys with none.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Something about this kid reminds me of Near from Death Note. He has to be Kirigiri-spawn.

Byakuya-sumo is by far the best character, though.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

DeathBySpoon posted:

The first thing I noticed with the character portraits was this pose:

I'm still not sure what that's even supposed to be, but there sure are a LOT of parallels to the original cast.

This was also the very first thing I thought of when I saw her pose.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Guys, guys, guys. The first game had a male-to-female crossdresser that was a central part of one of the trials. This game is aping/riffing/playing with designs from the first game, and therefore has a woman dressed like a man. I'd bet money it's really just that simple.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I'd rather judge the new characters on their own merits rather than on the previous cast and twists. I mean, for a moment, let's just all forget DR1 existed and see how they all pan out.
Well, except for fat Togami since there's such a high chance he's related to the original.

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008

Kimitsu posted:

Also, am I the only one who thinks SHSL Chef is very reminiscent of that chef from Phoenix Wright?

A lot of chefs in anime seem to have an out-of-place style similar to this one - just ask Mirai Nikki:

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Oh, I'm sure the actual characterization of most of these characters will be completely different from DR1's cast but I think most of us just can't help but notice these similarities.

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
Oh I don't know if anyone noticed this but when listening to the crazy hair Naegi look-alike voice clip, I'm pretty sure he has the same VA as Naegi. :tinfoil:

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Zandar posted:

A lot of chefs in anime seem to have an out-of-place style similar to this one - just ask Mirai Nikki:

I'm still guessing that the Chef is Monobear wearing a stupid man suit, much to the rabbit's dismay. Between the size and shape of the character, and just how weird the art is compared to the other characters, it makes sense.

Reverend Cheddar
Nov 6, 2005

wriggle cat is happy
I was spoiled on the DR2 characters a while ago and the reaction to fat Togami is exactly what I was expecting to see. Definitely a stroke of genius.

Archie Goodwin
Jan 2, 2012
Using intelligence guided by experience since 1934.

idonotlikepeas posted:

Stout actually teased this a couple of times, I believe. I mean, Wolfe is basically American Mycroft Holmes, after all. Fatogami might well follow in the proud tradition of gluttonous antisocial detectives.

Rex Stout was enjoyably iconoclastic with respect to Holmes - look no further than his speech proving "Dr." Watson was a woman.

Hattie Masters
Aug 29, 2012

COMICS CRIMINAL
Grimey Drawer
I gotta say, it's awesome getting in on the ground floor of a Dangan Ronpa LP. I came in late to the last one, and never actually finished it. Burnt out on it all.

Also, I can't help but feel a bit dissapointed with the character designs. Whilst I get that they're riffing on DP1, at the same time they feel like they're rehashing it a bit.

Hopefully, I'll be proven completely wrong and it will be a totally new experience that'll blow my brains out of my head with amazement and wonder.

Arcanine
Oct 30, 2012

"foolishly honest"
Yay! Christmas came early! Thank you, oren! I'm really looking forward to how the second game's story is going to pan out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SgtKirby
Nov 19, 2012

Ixjuvin posted:

Clear as a crisp spring morning. Jun... kos... in the coffee.

I was thinking he looks like Ishimaru a bit, but now I can't stop thinking how much he looks like York.

• Locked thread