Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Commandant
Oct 9, 2012

Anime RPGs are serious business.

Zhauth posted:

So, from left to right, starting with our protagonist, we have:
- Alfalfa
- Little Miss Muffet
- :pcgaming: Punk/Rave Girl
- Fat Togami
- Hershey Kisses Ninja
- Backpacker with pinkeye
- Shark...guy? Girl? I honestly can't really tell. Shark-person. A shark-person who is a car mechanic. They're probably a guy, but the pink hair is throwing me off.
- Little Orphan Annie
- Deadly Premonition
- Someone who is either very clumsy or needs to call the police for abuse.
- Fanservice
- Miniature Kimono Girl
- Ghosts
- Miniature Iron Chef
- Samurai in training
- GOD OF LIGHTNING

Maybe I'm just tired but these made me laugh really hard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

4th Asclepiadean
Feb 18, 2012

EchoPrima posted:

I'm thinking this is probably some weird computer simulation due to the weird glitches, plus everything seems too normal but isn't the Despair event supposed to be happening? Also I doubt any of the DR1 cast will be returning, since they would probably die, making their escape at the end of the first game kind of pointless. I also think that's probably someone impersonating Togami.

Oh my God. They're all in the Matrix, aren't they?

Robust Laser
Oct 13, 2012

Dance, Spaceman, Dance!
I had been previously spoiled on the Fatogami, and man, did I ever want to show that picture of him to everybody ever. So glad he's out in the open now.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Yapaari posted:

As I said in my previous post, I played the original up to the point were orenronen translated. I have some questions for him (and Fedule, if need be).

"It goes beyond mere support... it borders on worship. Like a religion".

and

"What he’s saying makes sense, but...

What purpose is being served by this? And for who?
I don’t like this..."

These lines don’t exist in the original script. Some lines from Hinata's monologue at the beginning, like "Keep calm", "Stop worrying and think! ", "...Yes...", "...Come on..." are also absent from the JP script. I know the translation is supposed to be very liberal, but still, I'm wondering why you chose to include them.

Another one:
Original JP script: 「だが、いくらなんでも不自然だ。頭の悪そうなお前らもそう思うだろう?」
orenronen: "This is not natural. Your ugly faces tell me that you agree".
「頭の悪そう」 kinda means "whose head is bad"="who is stupid". Wouldn't "stupid faces" be more accurate?

Thanks and keep it up!

Seriously?

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

I'll be honest, I thought that was a gun at first.

Speaking of, it's pretty obvious that at least a bit of Junko is swimming around in this classes' collective gene pool, but what about her sister? We didn't get to see much of Mukuro in the last game so it's hard to say which one is (partly?) her, assuming she's there at all.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Yapaari posted:

As I said in my previous post, I played the original up to the point were orenronen translated. I have some questions for him (and Fedule, if need be).

and

I don’t like this..."

These lines don’t exist in the original script. Some lines from Hinata's monologue at the beginning, like "Keep calm", "Stop worrying and think! ", "...Yes...", "...Come on..." are also absent from the JP script. I know the translation is supposed to be very liberal, but still, I'm wondering why you chose to include them.

These are all Fedule's additions, attempting to make the translation flow better in English. We are going to add small bits of text that weren't there in the original and take away others if we think they help make the game's point. We're also going to come up with our own style to how the characters speak, that may not be an exact match for the original speech patterns but will (hopefully) adhere to their spirit. This may not work for you if you're reading the Japanese along, but I hope you'd give it a chance. Obviously, Fedule pushes for a looser translation while I tend to stick to the original (and I do revert his changes from time to time), but I think this kind of translation, while having its own minuses, works better in overall.

Fedule will have to comment about why he chose those specific things to add.

Yapaari posted:

Another one:
「頭の悪そう」 kinda means "whose head is bad"="who is stupid". Wouldn't "stupid faces" be more accurate?

That one's entirely on me, and you're very right. The error slipped out during my initial run on the text and I never caught it later. Thanks!

Scher
Sep 15, 2011

~Solar Sect of Mystic Wisdom~
Upon escaping Hope's Peak Academy in the first game, Togami proceeded to shout "There can be only one!" and devoured the remaining students.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Naw man, he just got his fill of Junko's home cooking. So she kept her side of the bargain after all!

SevenDice
Oct 20, 2012
I think out of all the characters introduced, Naegi 2 is my favorite just based on character design. It's like they took Naegi's original design and actually made him interesting. That said I don't think he's actually Naegi, that seems like a lovely twist.

Meanwhile, Punk girl looks like the most interesting of the female characters based on first impression. I'm hoping she has some good lines. Hinata is even more bland looking than Naegi was so I'm hoping his personality has a little more impact. The prim girl on the far left of the character image is giving me some strong Maizono vibes for some reason. If she lasts past the first chapter I'll be impressed.
Lastly It's clear that Togami is channeling Yamada in order to make up for the lack of a fat character. :v:

MUTEkI
Oct 12, 2012

kidcoelacanth posted:

I can't wait until we learn more about the characters so the fact that they have similarities in design to old characters stops being the only thing about them.

I guess, but on the other hand this game is the best one for delivering that feeling you get when you switch schools and you find out that everyone in your new class is almost a palette swap of someone you knew back at your old school, in an awkward manner of speaking.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
This is the best gift an LP fanatic like myself can receive. orenronen is truly our Super High-School Level LP'er Santa this year.

going back to the designs, I know all those similarities are there on purpose, now will they be there to give us false links or just as a bit of fun? I can't wait to find out!

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

RedMagus posted:

going back to the designs, I know all those similarities are there on purpose, now will they be there to give us false links or just as a bit of fun? I can't wait to find out!
I'm guessing the game writers are screwing with our expectations here, and that most of the similar-looking characters are going to behave very differently from their DR1 counterparts.

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
I hope Togami still has his character development from the first game, pseudo-nice Togami was too funny and I was super glad when he survived because I thought that character change would have killed him.

KingEffingFrost
Jul 9, 2011

Extreme corset action!
I thought Ultragoon and Togami were detestable enough on their own, but to fuse together into some horrible Goonami? That's just nasty.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

I'll be honest, I thought that was a gun at first.

Speaking of, it's pretty obvious that at least a bit of Junko is swimming around in this classes' collective gene pool, but what about her sister? We didn't get to see much of Mukuro in the last game so it's hard to say which one is (partly?) her, assuming she's there at all.

I say it's the girl with the camera!

Why? She has freckles!

Well, that and she looks kinda plain. Mukuro, appearance-wise, looks kinda plain. She would have given me a "girl next door" vibe if it weren't for the fact that we got info on her related to SHSL Despair and her own SHSL title before we even saw her appearance in the game.

Karupin
Feb 27, 2007

...and that whoever has this crystal ball gets the power to unite the world... Eh? I was tricked? Really!?
Early Christmas makes me happy! Thanks, Oren and Fedule! I'm really looking forward to it.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
Finally, the curtain opens on a new game of mutual killing and despair. I'll be following along on this one, too. :waycool:

And here's our new batch of students. The first mystery I can see right out the gate is where these sixteen new students came from. After all, I seem to recall that Junko mentioned that the students from the first game were the only survivors of the Despairing Incident.

Unless she was lying about that, I suspect another time gap. My initial guess is that this is taking place a generation after the first game, after society recovered from the Despairing Incident and Hope's Peak Academy reopened its doors. The presence of Fat Togami seems designed to trick us into thinking this is a direct sequel.

I'm guessing Fat Togami isn't actually the Togami from the first game, but his son. The resemblance of the new cast to the first game's characters might be intentional, and there might be other descendants of the survivors of the first despair game around. For instance, the white-haired guy in the hoodie does look a bit like a mix of Naegi and Kirigiri, doesn't he?

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Fedule's Riveting Editorial Anecdotes
Episode the First

Being a series of posts wherein I talk a little* about the editing process, and discuss a few specific matters of note. As of this, the first installment, we're only an update into the LP, and there aren't a whole lot of specifics to discuss - what characterization we've seen is just preparation for when we're properly introduced to these characters later. So our discussion today is going to be a little more... general.

Let's begin from the top: my purpose here is... well... to edit. I'm an editor. I believe this has been mentioned, yes? Editing is a very... particular role. I am not the author - that's Kazutake Kodaka et al - I can't write to save my life. I'm not the translator - that's all orenronen - I don't speak a word of Japanese. My applicable skillset is:

1) I am good at words.
2) This is not the same as being good at writing!

In a typical authorial process, the editor is a glorified English teacher - they take a work and scribble all over it with that infuriating red pen. 'This is a poorly worded sentence!' 'That reads horrifically!' 'Holy poo poo just use "said" instead of the Thesaurus.com entry for "said"!'.

They don't change the things that are being said... they just change the words that are being used.

So, here's the process. Oren will go through a section of the game and... well, LP it. He'll then produce a rough draft of the update, translated - readable, intelligible - if a little flat. With Dangan Ronpa the first, he'd then go and edit this himself, producing the really-quite-good-actually translation we all know and love. With SDR2, however, he sends the first draft to me. I then take his translation and... well.

Before posted:

First things first. I must remember...

I have to work my brain and unravel that string of memory that became so tangled.

Think think think think think think think.

I gather the shards of memory that has gotten scattered all over, and put the situation back in order.

I mean, that's functional, isn't it? You could read that and get a complete idea of what's going on here. In propositional terms, there's nothing wrong with this! Hinata resolves to remember, then attempts to remember, and then begins to actually remember. See? Fine!

But, the words aren't so great. Let's see now...

After posted:

OK... Don’t panic. First thing’s first. I have to remember...

Keep calm, work my brain, and unravel my tangled memories.

Stop worrying and think! Think, think, think, think, think, think.

There are shards of memory everywhere... but I think I can piece together what happened.

Much better, if I do say so myself! (One big perk of being good at words is that you're much more suited to toe the treacherous line between self-confidence and outright arrogance... at least, in writing, anyway.) Ultimately, none of the explicitly expressed propositions have changed... but the words work.

I can't take credit for the overall quality of the work - that's Spike Chunsoft's claim. Nor can I take credit for the monumental undertaking that led us to the point where I even have anything to edit - that's Oren's bow to take. What I can take credit (or flak, as appropriate) for is how well it reads. And maybe individual sentences.

If you're wondering... the finished work has, according to my estimations (read: outright guesswork), a fairly even balance between lines that I've touched up a little, lines that are unchanged from the original draft, and lines that I've almost entirely rewritten. Very, very occasionally, you'll see a line that I outright invented, but I'm sure I don't need to explain why I'm going to be very, very, sparing on that front.

Here are some promises:
  1. I will edit lines, but I will hold the speaking order and expressions to be sacrosanct.
  2. Where I invent lines entirely, they will be great.
  3. I will do my utmost to cut down on unnecessary ellipsis use. Where they serve no purpose, they go.
  4. gently caress all "Metal Gear?!" mirror dialogue.
Finally, since I went and titled this thing "Fedule's Riveting Editorial Anecdotes", here's an actual anecdote about the first update.

quote:

...What...

...I don't... understand...

Oren and I had a tiny edit war over that first ellipsis row there. I had originally removed it, in accordance with promise number three (The Japanese version of Hinata's opening speech had four ellipsis rows between waking up and cutting to the title). Then later Oren made a few tweaks to the update, among which was adding that back. I then removed it a second time. As you can see, when the thread went live, it was back. Oren says he wanted a beat before Hinata resumes intelligible thought, and he's not wrong. My options at the time were to either:
  1. Immediately after thread launch, as I'm about to leave and go into college, begin an argument about punctuation and/or its necessity
  2. Not do that
I chose to cut my losses.

Next time, we'll-

-Wait... what's that? Is it? Could it be... a question from the audience?!

Yapaari posted:

and

I don’t like this..."

Uh oh! I've been found out!

Yes, the lines you have quoted are me taking liberties. I am under instructions to not be afraid to take liberties! But I stand by the liberties I take.

Here's the first draft of what would become the "religion" line:

quote:

I'm like a young baseball fan who worships a professional baseball team...
Like a young soccer fan who worships his country's representative team...
Now, I don't know if this line reads better in Japanese because of reasons, but... well, yeah. I didn't like this line, and it is the task of the editor to be fearless. As I described earlier, Hinata is basically saying the same thing in both versions, except that one of the versions repeats what is basically the same line twice, and one does not.

Hinata's original reaction to the "purpose" line is, according to the first draft:

quote:

S...Some kind of a purpose...?
What is it...?
I think something strange is going on...

I actually changed this after reading a few updates ahead. The read I got on Hinata was that his inner monologue would be perceptive, inquisitive, distrusting, and - in starkest contrast to Makoto Naegi - decisive.

"Stop worrying and think", etc, was just a little embellishment that I thought would accentuate his approach to waking up in a strange place with shattered memories.

As for "Come on..."... you know how I said earlier that the initial opening had four rows of ellipses? Yeah.

Yapaari posted:

Another one:

As great as I keep repeatedly telling you I am at words, I am, tragically, confined to words in English. So... when Oren translates something incorrectly... I won't notice. Fortunately, in this case... the erroneous translation still achieves the desired result. No harm, no foul!

Thanks for writing in, Yapaari! I always say that a good editor - like a good level designer - should work with an invisible hand. But if you look for my changes, you'll find them! And if you've got something to say, I'm happy to aggrandize myself further talk! I sure as hell didn't take this job because I hate editing!

As I was saying, next time, we'll have an update containing actual characterization for us to discuss, and I won't have to distract you with mission statements and reach like this for anecdotes!

*bit too much

Fedule fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Dec 12, 2012

Conro101
Jan 6, 2012

Dr. Conro James Norock, Robot Sarcasm Master
It's the behind the scenes bits I love about LPs like this so much. Thanks for the insight, Fedule, looking forward to more!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Fatogami is the best goddamned thing ever.

Miles Vorkosigan
Mar 21, 2007

The stuff that dreams are made of.

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

I thought Raggedy Ann here looks a lot like Mukuro:

She even has freckles!

Donowitz
Feb 26, 2012

Fatogami is so good. I love how it looks like he is going to have all the same expressions he had in the last game.

Donowitz fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Dec 11, 2012

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

eurgh Fedule don't give me reasons to actually read the thread

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

CestMoi posted:

I have an early post in the thread. Shall I catalog the Riveting Anecdotes?

Conro101
Jan 6, 2012

Dr. Conro James Norock, Robot Sarcasm Master

Fedule posted:

I have an early post in the thread. Shall I catalog the Riveting Anecdotes?
Please do.

asymmetrical
Jan 29, 2009

the absence or violation of symmetry
Yes, please continue (and archive in your early post) your editing notes. I appreciate the background look as the editing makes me very nervous (staunch supporter of direct translation with only the vaguest sprinkling of localisation). It'll help alleviate my nerves :shobon:

EchoPrima
Oct 17, 2012

Okay so I'm immortal but other than that I've basically got fuck all going for me!

4th Asclepiadean posted:

Oh my God. They're all in the Matrix, aren't they?

That would allow for a bunch of crazy poo poo to happen. I can't wait to see the executions now.

ikks
Sep 6, 2009

You can get anything you want at malice's restaurant

CestMoi posted:

no problemo.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

orenronen posted:

WHO IS IT? WHERE ARE YOUUUUUUU?!
The whistle makes me think he's probably actually a SHSL Referee or something, but drat you couldn't design a better Super High School Level Bancho.

Wild theory time: All the Hope's Peak students from the first game (including maybe Santa and not-Kenshiro) have all been mixed together in a big incestuous slurry and these kids are the bizarre genetic offspring. False memories and/or a Matrix like VR world may or may not be involved.

I think the only spoiler I saw on this game was an image in the last thread that the Mono-rabbit existed. Now it's come up again and jogged my memory that that happened, I'm wondering if it made me subconsciously think all the Junko theories were more likely, since Mukuro had a rabbit-clip in her hair that bears a passing resemblance to it..

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
I just wanted to chime in that Mist in Fedule's avatar looks so happy when chiming in during the update.

Lets talk about murders!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Thread needs the <3 <3 JAPAN LOVER <3 <3 tag from ADTRW but other than that I'm glad to see this get started, and doubly-glad I finally caught one of these narrative-driven LPs at the very start.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

You - or whomever did this - is a wonderful person. Now I can enjoy the LP without drowning in the speculation!

Yapaari
Nov 10, 2012

Fedule posted:

Fedule's Riveting Editorial Anecdotes
Episode the First

Fedule, thanks for your answer, the post was enlightening. I see where you're coming from. You're right, there's still no characterization, so I just wrote what I saw :P. The thread is still young. If I see something I think should be done differently in the future updates, I'll be sure to mention it, should I have the time!

orenronen posted:

That one's entirely on me, and you're very right. The error slipped out during my initial run on the text and I never caught it later. Thanks!

Orenronen, I see you changed it. Keep it up!

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

BrightWing posted:

I just wanted to chime in that Mist in Fedule's avatar looks so happy when chiming in during the update.

Lets talk about murders!
~Yaaaaaaaaaaaay!~

On that note, I dabble in translation work, and a bit of advice I got from more experienced translators / proofreaders - you can rearrange the material you have to make the translation flow better or make more sense, but writing your own additions is a no-no, for obvious reasons. If you want to leave and impression or show your skills, you should consider writing something original, rather than mess with a translation.

Vexrm
Feb 2, 2009

Full of hot raspberry jam blooded passion.

KataraniSword posted:

You - or whomever did this - is a wonderful person. Now I can enjoy the LP without drowning in the speculation!

Ah, but you will have the despair of waiting three extra hours to know there's an update.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

I have been so, so excited for this.

It does not disappoint. :neckbeard:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Kimitsu posted:

SHSL Anne of Green Gables. Also the most famous Western chuunibyou.

No braids = no Anne. Seriously, it's her most distinguishing feature.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Dec 11, 2012

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Wyvernil posted:

I'm guessing Fat Togami isn't actually the Togami from the first game, but his son. The resemblance of the new cast to the first game's characters might be intentional, and there might be other descendants of the survivors of the first despair game around. For instance, the white-haired guy in the hoodie does look a bit like a mix of Naegi and Kirigiri, doesn't he?

I'm hoping Fat Togami is a completely different character unrelated to Togami and with no knowledge of who he is, and the fact that he looks exactly like an obese version of a character from the first game is never acknowledged.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I think the only student we haven't seen any dialogue from / an up-close picture of is Hershey Kisses Ninja. Hope that changes soon; I wanna know if he represents the Lollipop Guild.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

windylion
Oct 9, 2012

Prison Warden posted:

Wild theory time: All the Hope's Peak students from the first game (including maybe Santa and not-Kenshiro) have all been mixed together in a big incestuous slurry and these kids are the bizarre genetic offspring. False memories and/or a Matrix like VR world may or may not be involved.
I was thinking it'd be kind of funny if this DR cast was related to the original cast. Pretty dumb though, but kind of funny.

Though I still think Fatgami is Togami's son. Or maybe his fat twin that didn't appear in-game, who knows.

e:

Power of Pecota posted:

I'm hoping Fat Togami is a completely different character unrelated to Togami and with no knowledge of who he is, and the fact that he looks exactly like an obese version of a character from the first game is never acknowledged.

Actually I want this to happen.

• Locked thread