Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

May 14, 2003

BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY FRUITCAKE!

Corvettefisher posted:

Anyone else going to VMware Partner Exchange in Feb?

I try to go every year. One of my colleagues intends to do his VCDX defense there this year. That'll make two of us in one company which will be kind of rad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Nice if you are going would love to meet up, my teacher is debating going for his VCDX, just passed his DCD this week I plan to get my VCAP-DCA there if possible.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Anyone interested in VMware View might want to keep and eye on this book

Ordering after I get paid Saturday.

HA wow I just realized amazon pretty much has the entire thing viewable, prior to buying looks pretty good.

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Dec 10, 2012

May 14, 2003

Corvettefisher posted:

Nice if you are going would love to meet up, my teacher is debating going for his VCDX, just passed his DCD this week I plan to get my VCAP-DCA there if possible.

Sure why not. I generally hit up a bunch of different restaurants whenever I'm in Vegas. You're welcome to come along and bring friends.

Regarding your teacher, if he's planning to defend at PEX then he's got to have a design ready for submission before the end of the year. The defense portion isn't something you just cram for and hope for the best.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Since my searching ability with the forums is either not good enough, it hasn't been asked or I'm just plain stupid: I'm planning on building a home server with ESXi and want to run FreeNAS and OpenELEC virtualized. Here's my question: Can I in ESXi use VT-d to passthrough the graphics card directly to OpenELEC (as FreeNAS obviously doesn't need it)?

The reason I'm not just straight installing FreeBSD and putting XBMC on a mythtv backend connected to a HDHomeRun is that I want to play around with visualization more than I've done in the past (vmware player/vmware fusion/hyper-v in windows 8 pro). I just don't fancy going out and buying new hardware (I do plan on buying new hardware eventuallly, as my current HP N36L-based NAS is getting too small) only to learn that I can't do this.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
What I think you are trying to do is complete hit and miss right now. I have heard of success stories where people get it working but I really don't know any solid sure-proof way to do it.

http://communities.vmware.com/message/2119392
This might hold some relevant info for you.

http://www.simonlong.co.uk/blog/2012/10/25/vmware-view-3d-gaming-experience/

This is view 5.2 but the VIBs they used are not available for public use yet, and they were using Quadro 6000 which are about 7k a pop.

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
Yes, though you may find it non-trivial. Video cards need large address ranges to play with, so you'll probably find yourself entering PCI Hole parameters for the VMX file so it will boot successfully without violating memory management requirements in the Guest.

I am not intimately familiar with what specific settings you need but you can check the VMware communities for some notes on GPU passthrough for some tips.
Also you may have significantly greater difficulty getting that whole configuration working with nVidia cards at all (even Fermi-based ones and later), as opposed to AMD/ATI's Radeon HD series.

Also there are other possible quirks that might hit you, like needing a monitor plugged into the card.

Edit:
The nVidia vibs are not publicly available yet. Notes are showing me that Quadro 4000 and up should suffice, but even those aren't cheap. You could get some Fermi-based cards going with it, but I believe their drivers will block use of desktop GTX hardware by the time they start being GA'ed.
AMD's going to be doing something similar, I think.

Anyway I'm not trying to discourage you. Give it some time and try. You definitely need PCI Hole configured, and you need to lock in and reserve all assigned memory for the VM. The monitor-being-plugged in dealio might not be necessary, but it was for me. And also you need to have some form of remote access enabled to the Guest, because the VMRC won't work anymore if you get this working (use RDP, VNC, LogMeIn, etc.).

Kachunkachunk fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Dec 10, 2012

Pantology
Jan 16, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

1000101 posted:

Regarding your teacher, if he's planning to defend at PEX then he's got to have a design ready for submission before the end of the year. The defense portion isn't something you just cram for and hope for the best.

Cut-off date for PEX design submissions is Jan 4, but yeah, if he's not done or nearly done with the documentation by now, he's probably going to waiting for the next one. Seems to me that you'd want to submit well in advance of the cut-off date. That way if your design gets bounced back for whatever reason, you'd still have time to correct it and re-submit.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Yeah he is probably waiting, he was just kicking the thought around, or maybe he was joking I have a hard distinguishing when people are joking or actually serious. Either way I hope I can put enough time aside for my VCAP-DCA study, I would love to take that at PEX if possible.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Well, as I've understood it, View 5.2 and whatever else you guys are talking about is to make the gpu accessible as a resource to all the guest OS' - what I want to do is just point it towards one as FreeNAS doesn't need it at all. I wish I had some lab hardware to test this on, but unfortunately I don't.
Also, it turns out that I have a friend who has a setup quite like the one I'll have, so when I get hold of him I'll have to ask what setup he's running and how it's configured. I'll return with more information when I have it.

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
View will expose some GUI configuration elements so you can force software or hardware GPU capabilities on a VM. By default, no VMs will have hardware 3D acceleration set yet until that "Enable 3D" checkbox is set (visible in regular vSphere when you edit a VM's settings and highlight its video card). And that checkbox's availability is governed by the selected Guest OS type. You can force it in to the VMX or fake the guest type, check it off, then change the guest type back.

Bottom line, you can still get this stuff working without View, but you still need the nVidia VIBs, starting up the Xorg service, etc.
Once the VIBs are available, a VMware KB will explain the process in detail, but it's otherwise not too difficult.

Once the key requirements are fulfilled, just boot up the VM. You'll just then find that perhaps now your remote console becomes the bottleneck, but there seem to be some really awesome plans in that area.
Anyway I think the expectation for now is that View and PCoIP is ideal for 3D/visual solutions.

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!
I'm having a major issue with vmotioning off larger servers to other hosts/storage, say 1.5-2TB on VSphere 5. It will run all night, get to 99% (maybe even 100%) and then sit there for awhile, then it will fail with a timeout error, cancel the vmotion, but when it does this it completely freezes the server until the entire process is done (about 15 minutes). Because of this freeze I haven't been able to really troubleshoot it, but I've tried to vmotion it 3 times now and it freezes at the same point. I've not had any problems vmotioning anything else.

I recently did a Xenserver to Vsphere migration and this is the last headache I've got left over. Basically, I have an EQL SAN, a Powervault DAS. Because of the way the sans LUNs were originally setup I had to move everything to the DAS, wipe out the SAN completely and then push everything back over to the SAN. Unfortunately I didn't have enough room on my DAS for 2 extra servers so I grabbed a Synology w/iSCSI and put those two servers on it.

Well, this one server is still stuck on that SYN-SAN and I desperately need to get it over to the EQL-SAN.

Has anyone encountered these timeout issues? What's frustrating is that it has to run the entire time to 99-100% and then I find out it failed.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I am having a similar issue with SvMotioning my vCenter database. It will run all the way through (takes about 3-4 hours) then shits the bed with this error.

quote:

The migration has exceeded the maximum switchover time of 100 second(s). ESX has preemptively failed the migration to allow the VM to continue running on the source. To avoid this failure, either increase the maximum allowable switchover time or wait until the VM is performing a less intensive workload.

Anyone have any ideas? I am able to SvMotion similar workloads without issue.

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!
Yep. That's the one I get. Are you on 5.0?

I'm moving a very low utilization fileserver over. It's just big, 1.5TB.

I haven't been able to test raising the timeout because my SvMotion takes 12+ hours and I wind up outside of my maintenance window. It'd be fine if it didn't freeze the live server for those 10-15 minutes.

vty fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Dec 11, 2012

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Are you making GBS threads me? How does software like this get released? If I pick the last one, do I really get 9, or 7? I need to find a cigarette so I can say "hold on to your butts" while clicking next.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

vty posted:

I haven't been able to test raising the timeout because my SvMotion takes 12+ hours and I wind up outside of my maintenance window. It'd be fine if it didn't freeze the live server for those 10-15 minutes.

Mine doesn't seem to be freezing the server, just errors out.

vCenter 5.1 with ESXi 5.1 hosts.

Maybe I will crank up that timeout and test unless anyone else has any ideas?

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole

Erwin posted:

Are you making GBS threads me? How does software like this get released? If I pick the last one, do I really get 9, or 7? I need to find a cigarette so I can say "hold on to your butts" while clicking next.

While it kind of sucks, stop using the Windows client. It probably bugs out because virtual hardware isn't presented in that manner anymore.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

three posted:

While it kind of sucks, stop using the Windows client. It probably bugs out because virtual hardware isn't presented in that manner anymore.

I would, but the web client is missing so many features that I find myself going back and forth. Want to use Update Manager? Gotta use the Windows client. Want to select more than one VM at a time so you can migrate a bunch? Windows client. Want to see what tasks are being kicked off by other clients? Windows client. Want to see your host list update itself when one reboots without having to constantly refresh? Windows client.

Plus the "Download Plug-in" link for the remote console doesn't do anything, so if I want to view a VM's console, Windows client.

three
Aug 9, 2007

Erwin posted:

I would, but the web client is missing so many features that I find myself going back and forth. Want to use Update Manager? Gotta use the Windows client. Want to select more than one VM at a time so you can migrate a bunch? Windows client. Want to see what tasks are being kicked off by other clients? Windows client. Want to see your host list update itself when one reboots without having to constantly refresh? Windows client.

Plus the "Download Plug-in" link for the remote console doesn't do anything, so if I want to view a VM's console, Windows client.

Migrating multiple VMs: Browse to the 'related objects' view and then Virtual Machines and you can highly and right click->Migrate and it will work on multiple VMs.

View tasks from other clients: Under Recent Tasks on the right, click 'My Tasks' and change to 'All Tasks', or go to Task Console.

I haven't ran into the refresh issue being a problem. I would check your web client VM specs, as I've seen it run poorly when under-provisioned. I've also not had any issues with the 'Download Plug-in' assuming you're using a supported browser.

Update Manager is unfortunate, but I imagine it will be added soon. vCenter Operations has a web client plugin now.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
You guys aren't really doing much to dispel the notion that I should hold off on my 5.1 migration.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

three posted:

Migrating multiple VMs: Browse to the 'related objects' view and then Virtual Machines and you can highly and right click->Migrate and it will work on multiple VMs.
I mispoke on this one. The problem I had was not multi-highlighting, but the fact that I got something like "VMs are not in a state to support that action" or something after running through the vMotion wizard. Did it fine with the same VMs in the Windows client. Tried it just now on a few random VMs and it worked this time, so who knows.

quote:

View tasks from other clients: Under Recent Tasks on the right, click 'My Tasks' and change to 'All Tasks', or go to Task Console.
Okay, I guess this one is reasonable.

quote:

I haven't ran into the refresh issue being a problem. I would check your web client VM specs, as I've seen it run poorly when under-provisioned. I've also not had any issues with the 'Download Plug-in' assuming you're using a supported browser.
I've set up the vCenter VM and web client VM to the documented specifications and even check with VMware support. You have to hit the refresh icon in the web client to get host state (even alarm tags) to update. Not refreshing the browser window, the client-specific refresh button. I'm using Chrome and it's up to date.

I wouldn't be so negative if the whole migration process wasn't a huge nightmare.

Rhymenoserous posted:

You guys aren't really doing much to dispel the notion that I should hold off on my 5.1 migration.

For your own sanity, hold off.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Yeah same here. I'm not running into vRAM entitlement issues so maybe I'll just hold off for a while.

5.1 sort of seems like it was really rushed.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

vty posted:

Screw it. I'm just going to open a support request. I'll let you know what I hear back.

May 14, 2003

Number19 posted:

Yeah same here. I'm not running into vRAM entitlement issues so maybe I'll just hold off for a while.

I think the biggest joy I got from my customers about the 5.1 release was that vram entitlements were dead. Nothing else is really worth it unless you're building a new environment and intend to use vCloud suite features.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

1000101 posted:

I think the biggest joy I got from my customers about the 5.1 release was that vram entitlements were dead. Nothing else is really worth it unless you're building a new environment and intend to use vCloud suite features.

When we do our server updates next year we'll run into the vRAM limits. I'll probably schedule it for the New Year sometime.

I'm sad to hear that the Update Manager plugin doesn't work in the web client. That will be kind of annoying but I can probably live with it.

three
Aug 9, 2007

No more reboots for VMware Tools updates once they're updated to 5.1!

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

That's probably the biggest reason for me to upgrade now to be honest. Maybe I will do it over the holiday break after all...

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011

Erwin posted:

What the crap? Does this happen for multiple vSphere Client installs? How about if it's a clean 5.1 client?

GrandMaster
Aug 15, 2004
laidback

Rhymenoserous posted:

Hah, for the last week I've been meaning to post this very question in here. From the look of things I'll stay on 5.0 for now and wait for the U1 patch to be released before thinking about the 5.1 upgrade.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

vty posted:

I'm having a major issue with vmotioning off larger servers to other hosts/storage, say 1.5-2TB on VSphere 5. It will run all night, get to 99% (maybe even 100%) and then sit there for awhile, then it will fail with a timeout error, cancel the vmotion, but when it does this it completely freezes the server until the entire process is done (about 15 minutes). Because of this freeze I haven't been able to really troubleshoot it, but I've tried to vmotion it 3 times now and it freezes at the same point. I've not had any problems vmotioning anything else.

Has anyone encountered these timeout issues? What's frustrating is that it has to run the entire time to 99-100% and then I find out it failed.

What's your latency looking like when this is occuring? Is this KB any help? http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1010045

Kachunkachunk posted:

What the crap? Does this happen for multiple vSphere Client installs? How about if it's a clean 5.1 client?

I wouldn't hope for much update to the client, I have a STRONG feeling most(if not all)of the administration will be don't via web console in 6. I just really wish they didn't have it in flash.

Moey posted:

Screw it. I'm just going to open a support request. I'll let you know what I hear back.

Actually the thing both of you have in common is you are both using Dell storage, if I recall correctly. I'll see what I can find more on this issue tonight, passed my 642-991 today so I am kinda burnt out right now for doing anything VMware designing or studying wise.

Rhymenoserous posted:

View 5.2 is rumored to need 5.1 for the GPU acceleration/sharing it needs to do, I think it is related with SR-IOV in 5.1, that's just my guess anyways. If you aren't hitting vRam limits or anything 5.1 really was not ready for release. VMware's tick-tock cycle seems to be (VMworld) NEW RELEASE-> (VMworld) x.1 RELEASE -> (VMworld) NEW RELEASE.

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Dec 12, 2012

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!

Moey posted:

Text me when you hear back please, I don't get to check this thread as much as I'd like, and I'd really like a fix!

Edit: I mean PM me. Playing with my phone.

Pantology
Jan 16, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Number19 posted:

When we do our server updates next year we'll run into the vRAM limits. I'll probably schedule it for the New Year sometime.

There is no more vRAM licensing, period. You can stay on 5.0 and load up with as much memory as your heart desires, or budget allows.

http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/vsphere_pricing.pdf

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!

Pantology posted:

There is no more vRAM licensing, period. You can stay on 5.0 and load up with as much memory as your heart desires, or budget allows.

http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/vsphere_pricing.pdf

I'm a VSPP and I'm still billed by vRAM. I was so happy about the change until they said it doesn't affect VSPP providers.

Anyone know if the VSPP program has ever not been RAM based? I host nearly all Exchange/MSSQL servers so the RAM is always high-reserve (store.exe, etc).

Pantology
Jan 16, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

vty posted:

I'm a VSPP and I'm still billed by vRAM. I was so happy about the change until they said it doesn't affect VSPP providers.

Anyone know if the VSPP program has ever not been RAM based? I host nearly all Exchange/MSSQL servers so the RAM is always high-reserve (store.exe, etc).

Sorry, yeah, VSPP still has wacky rules, but for the general population vRAM is dead.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

vty posted:

Text me when you hear back please, I don't get to check this thread as much as I'd like, and I'd really like a fix!

Edit: I mean PM me. Playing with my phone.

Well I could just be a big dumdum. Did some investigating on that VM and realized I left it running on a snapshot from a month or two ago when doing a SQL SP install. I just consolidated the snap and am attempting to migrate again.

I though that was now supported in 5.0 but I have never tried it before.

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!

Moey posted:

Well I could just be a big dumdum. Did some investigating on that VM and realized I left it running on a snapshot from a month or two ago when doing a SQL SP install. I just consolidated the snap and am attempting to migrate again.

I though that was now supported in 5.0 but I have never tried it before.

Hm.. Mine wasn't on any snapshots when I tried.

I wasn't aware that ever mattered for VSphere. So 4.x can't SvMotion a snapshot+vmdk?

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

Number19 posted:

Not gonna lie, it kinda was. Everyone is very aware it. VMware has always had a great reputation with solid releases, and there is a lot of work being done to keep it that way.

three posted:

No more reboots for VMware Tools updates once they're updated to 5.1!

I remember a few years ago when Workstation required a reboot after uninstalling and installing the product again. Tools then required the same thing. So I would have to watch a Windows reboot 4 times total to upgrade. Keep in mind that I had to do this several times a week. Now I don't have to do that at all. Basically, it is the best thing ever.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Moey posted:

Well I could just be a big dumdum.

This was it. Migrated fine after I rolled them up.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
Still waiting on an update on the log spew issue with windows vms as mentioned here: http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=2036350

I've got a tonne of windows VMs still running tools from 5.0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

May 14, 2003

vty posted:

It's always been based on allocated RAM and features you provide for said VMs.

vty posted:

Vmotions taking forever...

What sort of app is the VM running if you don't mind my asking?