Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Crabtree posted:

Hey Orenronen, would you mind showing off any visual differences or upgrades that the general gameplay of DR2 has over 1 in a video or separate post?

Hold your horses, buddy. We literally haven't even gotten to gameplay yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

Kirigiri + Fukawa?

I like it.

Actually there's a lot of mirrored designs here, either that or a lot of these character's faces resemble those of the previous game, that's probably just the art style though.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Waffleman_ posted:

Hold your horses, buddy. We literally haven't even gotten to gameplay yet.

I'm sorry, this thread's got me so excited for content.

Conro101
Jan 6, 2012

Dr. Conro James Norock, Robot Sarcasm Master

HelloWinter posted:

Probably the same deal as the first Dangan Ronpa; they're emblems from the past school that each student have attended before being accepted to Hope's Peak.
Which, as I recall, is important in some yet unrevealed way.

Mersenne
Oct 9, 2012

Prime Suspect

"Oh...? How amusing. Do try to keep me entertained, ehehe..."

Hey, wait a minute... Something's kinda... off about the new characters...

Update 1 character portraits posted:

Fat Togami.

Punk Maizono with cat ears and Leon's mannerisms.

Red-headed Mukuro?

Appears to behave like Fukawa minus the glasses, though the actual design is also reminiscent of Maizono.

Austrian Junko.

...Holy poo poo, an unholy fusion of Ishimaru, Mondo and Sakura! I can already tell he's gonna be the best character. :allears:

Asahina with a serious case of bedhead.

Villain! Bad guy! Antagonist! :v:

Kirigiri with a hint of Fukawa and possibly Sakura in her. Might actually end up being this game's equivalent of Kirigiri, too.

Naegi, what have they done to you? :ohdear:

I'm starting to think that all those similarities to the DR1 cast aren't exactly coincidences, but that doesn't necessarily mean that any of them are even related. It's probably a bit too early for any serious speculation, but here goes anyway: The events of Dangan Ronpa 2 (perhaps even the first one as well) are a computer simulation, possibly run by Alter Ego/Monobear 2.0/some other AI. The reason the characters resemble the previous cast so much is that the AI seems to be taking all the best traits of the participants in the last iteration and using that data to construct the actors for the current run. For better or worse, this would mean the DR2 students are actually pastiches of the DR1 class, both appearance and behavior-wise.

Alternatively, the developers made both sets of characters visually similar on purpose as a red herring, and said similarities will never be relevant to the plot. Most likely, Hinata's class enrolled in the year leading up to the Despair Event, so we're probably dealing with the 79th class this time. A possible explanation as to why the cast of DR1 and DR2 never crossed paths at all could be attributed to them being kept in entirely separate areas of the school, or simply locked away in cryostasis in some unmarked/unexplored area and released once the survivors of the previous despair game left and Monobear came back online after the credits. However, that pink rabbit... thing in the video at the end of the first update clearly isn't Monobear, which makes me wonder if we're actually dealing with two masterminds this time around.

Of course, this all relies on the assumption that DR2 even is a murder-oriented despair game like the first one, which we've yet to confirm. For all we know this could be an entirely different kind of despair game, where the participants aren't actively encouraged to kill each other and are simply given the mission of solving the mystery behind their situation from the get-go, but are given a time limit to do so and the place is now chock-full of lethal booby traps or something :v:

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.
[redacted]

Skunkrocker fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Feb 18, 2014

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Dear god. This thread went up less than 12 hours ago and it already has almost thirty thousand views.

Orenonren, you've created a monster.

(This thread going up made my day, especially since you're translating Zero too.)

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

suuchan posted:

Ah, seeing the posts about the translation liberties and stuff with the character speech patterns makes things make a little more sense now! A few people were a little surprised because in this translation so far it seems like Hinata speaks very formally, compared to the upfront/bordering on impolite way he apparantly speaks in Japanese.

Although I guess we do only have one update to go on. Either way you choose to do it, I'm sure the translation will adhere to his/the other characters' spirit! I like it a lot so far, anyway.

"Surprised" is a somewhat conservative way of putting it, if you're talking about who I think you're talking about.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Once we are introduced to the all the characters I am going to guess survivors. I am guessing there are going to be six like last game (No idea if I am right or not could be less could be more)

suuchan
Oct 12, 2012

mystery solved!

Fedule posted:

"Surprised" is a somewhat conservative way of putting it, if you're talking about who I think you're talking about.

...Well, maybe 'annoyed' would have been a slightly better choice of words.

It's probably just a matter of personal preference!

suuchan fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Dec 12, 2012

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
Oh god, I read through the entire of the first thread in about 3 days (I regret nothing). This one is going to be amazing.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

Once we are introduced to the all the characters I am going to guess survivors. I am guessing there are going to be six like last game (No idea if I am right or not could be less could be more)
Everyone will live, especially the characters who are good and cool, because this is a happy game where nothing bad ever happens.

:unsmigghh:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

MoonwalkInvincible posted:

Everyone will live, especially the characters who are good and cool, because this is a happy game where nothing bad ever happens.

:unsmigghh:

It's in the subtitle. Goodbye, Despair Academy, hello Hope Academy!

Southy
Nov 18, 2012
Oh boy, this is going to be fun.

I'm finding Fat Togami way too funny at the moment and the Little Chef is just so adorable.

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.
Interesting. I can't wait for the character introductions so we can put some names to these faces.

Cooking Magpie
Jul 25, 2012
I really like the design of Mr. Lightning Eyebrows. All of the designs are good, even Fat Togami. I'm going to be sad when the first death happens, they all seem cool in their own ways.

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!

spd12 posted:

The pink hair guy with the shark teeth is giving me some serious Leon vibes, which I imagine to be intentional on the part of the designers. There's an insignia on his chest that's colored exactly the way blood is in Dangan Ronpa.

If this game is out to subvert our expectations, I suspect he will be instead one of the most developed and interesting characters who lasts through the entire game, despite appearances.
His hair is pink, clearly the twist is that his hair is actually full of blood and no one ever realized it!

But yeah I got the same Leon vibe from him, but my theory is that this time the Maizono-type character of this game will sucessed in her murder plan!

suuchan
Oct 12, 2012

mystery solved!
In other news... probably my favourite character designs so far are mysterious purple scarf ninja (from the little we can see of him, anyway) and Sharkteeth McPinkhair, although like I said before, I do like all of them a lot.

evilspacehopper
Oct 10, 2012

Hinawa remembered in death as she was in life: endlessly eating birds.
I see windows and normal colour classrooms, I'm not getting that despair of being trapped in a surreal environment. Everything feels kinda normal like they could just leave but they don't really care enough to break out. Back in the old days you had your big metal door, bolted windows and funky classrooms to make the despair really sink in. This Monorabbit better start dishing out the despair to these kids because I really want to see them truly despair.

That out of the way time for speculation, yay! I'm going with the computer simulation theory due to the weird glitchy type stuff. Though how does this connect to an island... Perhaps they rumble the ruse of this VR classroom almost immediately and wake up on the island? I'll save my verdict on the characters until they've all been formally introduced but I'm both loving and hating Fatogami, I find him hilarious but can't like him as much as his DR1 counterpart due to said hilarity.

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011

Mersenne posted:

However, that pink rabbit... thing in the video at the end of the first update clearly isn't Monobear, which makes me wonder if we're actually dealing with two masterminds this time around.

Obviously the only person who could pull off piloting and voicing a magical girl costume wearing, pink-and-white monobunny is our beloved Naegi :v:

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
Despite the game not even having started yet (if someone calls the plot after the first update again...), the computer simulation theory actually sounds pretty plausible (and less paranoid than Junko conspiracies). What would be the motive, though? Who'd be running it?

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Has the monochrome rabbit been named yet? Since we have a Monobear, i'm going to pre-emptively dub her Monohare :v:

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Silhouette posted:

Has the monochrome rabbit been named yet? Since we have a Monobear, i'm going to pre-emptively dub her Monohare :v:
I like the pun, but the title of the Polsy Youtube link said "Magical Girl Miracle - Usami" so I guess that's it.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug
The sad part is due to the stupid translation ROMhacking crap I spent awhile on, you know the hex in the intro movie?

It's Japanese. They're two-byte characters, and a bunch are prepended with "82" which is a shift-JIS encoding format for Kana. I think hiragana, with katakana being 81, but I forget which is which and as I'm typing this, maybe the other way around.

There might be a hidden message there, especially considering the sequence ends in a 0D 0A, which is an old-school PC linebreak... but damned if I'm spending any more brain cells on that.

edit2: If anyone wants to transcribe that crap, I think you can put it in an HTML file, open with Firefox, and change the encoding to Shift-JIS to see the Japanese... It's been a long time since I did crap like this though.

slowbeef fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Dec 12, 2012

Cluzic
Oct 29, 2011
I spent the last couple weeks reading the first thread, and I had just finished it on Sunday. Now I have no more DR updates to read and I have to sit tight with everyone else and wait for update... :negative:

When I first saw the shot of the new cast, I was a bit taken aback. I thought, "Jeez, these designs look a lot weirder than the ones from DR1." Then I remembered Sakura.

I think maybe I just got used to the characters from the first game to the point that they didn't look odd to me anymore. I'm sure these new characters will grow on me in the same way.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Oh, yes. Oh, hell yes. I am going to love and hate this with a passion and anguish I have never experienced the likes of before.

Rawkking posted:

Obviously the only person who could pull off piloting and voicing a magical girl costume wearing, pink-and-white monobunny is our beloved Naegi :v:
No way, it's Hagakure's true form. What do you think the crazy hair was for? Hiding rabbit ears, that's what!

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Oh man we're back I am so excited and only 10 pages late! Ganbatte Oren!! :syoon:

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!

Autumncomet posted:

I like the pun, but the title of the Polsy Youtube link said "Magical Girl Miracle - Usami" so I guess that's it.
He/she is talking about the one next to Monobear right in the first screenshot.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

IceBorg posted:

So is he. Did you even watch the video?

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

suuchan posted:

...Well, maybe 'annoyed' would have been a slightly better choice of words.
The more things change, the more things stay the same. Ah, translation drama. :allears:

I'd almost try looking it up, but I'm sure I'd run into 15 spoilers in the process.

I find it funny that "computer simulation" is, so far, a completely legitimate theory. In the last thread, Orenronen had to put his foot down rather early on because the speculation was hitting goddamn everywhere, and the focus had to be narrowed (computer simulation, robots, purgatory, everything). It's like we're back to square one again.

Speculation: They're in Hell, and Fat Togami is what Togami's true spirit looks like.

Mersenne
Oct 9, 2012

Prime Suspect

"Oh...? How amusing. Do try to keep me entertained, ehehe..."

Rawkking posted:

So would that make Magical Girl Miracle Usami (Warrior of Hope and Love?) the anti-Monobear? :v:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

IceBorg posted:

I think that's the same one.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Twiddy posted:

The more things change, the more things stay the same. Ah, translation drama. :allears:

I'd almost try looking it up, but I'm sure I'd run into 15 spoilers in the process.

I find it funny that "computer simulation" is, so far, a completely legitimate theory. In the last thread, Orenronen had to put his foot down rather early on because the speculation was hitting goddamn everywhere, and the focus had to be narrowed (computer simulation, robots, purgatory, everything). It's like we're back to square one again.

Speculation: They're in Hell, and Fat Togami is what Togami's true spirit looks like.

Well that's because we actually have something to work off of this time around. There was the whole deal with the glitch visual effects, plus the cascading digits trope that's so relevant in that kind of setting.

Shoopuf
Oct 18, 2010

Don't touch shoopuf. Tailss will be shlapping!

Mersenne posted:

Punk Maizono with cat ears and Leon's mannerisms.

Those are actually supposed to invoke oni horns from what I can tell. Also, that pose really doesn't seem the same as Leon's aside from the posture — they're conveying completely different emotions here. Leon's was mocking while Oni-san (:v:) is surprised/speculative.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

pandaK posted:

Well that's because we actually have something to work off of this time around. There was the whole deal with the glitch visual effects, plus the cascading digits trope that's so relevant in that kind of setting.

This is one of those things that is supposed to totally pass you by when you play it, but with the time between updates in the LP and people scouring over everything it's almost too obvious.

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!

Waffleman_ posted:

So is he. Did you even watch the video?
Yeah I did, and Silhouette was talking about the monochrome rabbit here:

Yes Usami and the monochrome rabbit are most likely the same thing but in this case the name would be Monosomething, I think that was what Silhouette meant with his question.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

slowbeef posted:

The sad part is due to the stupid translation ROMhacking crap I spent awhile on, you know the hex in the intro movie?

It's Japanese. They're two-byte characters, and a bunch are prepended with "82" which is a shift-JIS encoding format for Kana. I think hiragana, with katakana being 81, but I forget which is which and as I'm typing this, maybe the other way around.

You're right. Just transcribed a small part of it.

Hidden message posted:

ゆらゆらと言うよりは…
\
ぐらぐらと揺れていました。
\
rアれは僕のいる部屋自体が揺れているのです。
\

If it's not spoilerish, would someone mind translating that? I'll try doing a full thing tonight.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
And here...we...go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4LpSzKnEtA

A fitting song for this new thread and sequel, in my opinion. Now, as for the first post.

Mersenne posted:

The events of Dangan Ronpa 2 (perhaps even the first one as well) are a computer simulation, possibly run by Alter Ego/Monobear 2.0/some other AI.

This was my theory too, based on the computer code title screen and the almost exact same intro of the main character ala Naegi before it collapsed into computer errors. Mine, however, is that the Monobear AI seen at the end of game 1 decided to run a computer simulation of the events that happened. When he got the exact same results, he got mad and started mashing personality traits and details around to see if it changed the end result. That's why the characters all come off like all the original characters were thrown in a blender, finely pureed, then separated into new masses and reshaped per what they'd become after the blending. I am almost certain that this cast is a fakeout, ala the Tanker chapter in Metal Gear Solid 2, and after the first chapter we will meet the REAL cast who's different.

Or maybe I'm completely wrong. We'll find out, as like so many I'm in on the ground floor! Onwards to DESPAIR.

Cornwind Evil fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Dec 12, 2012

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

IceBorg posted:

Yeah I did, and Silhouette was talking about the monochrome rabbit here:

What monochrome rabbit? That's Monobear and Usami :psyduck:

v Oh, huh I didn't notice that.

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Dec 12, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

Dragonatrix posted:

What monochrome rabbit? That's Monobear and Usami :psyduck:
Usami is completely pink in her opening video, but in this screen she's half-white.

Take this as you will. I don't know.

• Locked thread