Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Yeah those are actually really effective off the pavement. They're more stable than you'd think, and probably safer than the alternative. It's also available 12" taller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Godholio posted:

Yeah those are actually really effective off the pavement. They're more stable than you'd think, and probably safer than the alternative. It's also available 12" taller.

Yeah, I'd rather see people inflating one of those on a trail than using a hi-lift jack; someone there probably has onboard air that can do it without making a carbon monoxide pillow.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

You've got the cutest little baby face...

Faerunner posted:

We're Plus members, and they told us in no uncertain terms that they will absolutely not do RVs or motorcycles, just cars and personally owned trucks smaller than a box truck. After being told no on motorcycles my fiance made them clarify exactly what they wouldn't do with a Plus membership. There's Plus RV, and that's what you'd have to upgrade to to get RV/motorcycle towing.

Oh hey look, they even have a page for it!

http://eastcentral.aaa.com/membership/types/plus_rv_details.jsp

Looks like it's different in Texas. We don't have Plus RV. Our Plus covers RVs and bikes. Interesting.

http://www.texas.aaa.com/en-tx/become-member/Pages/benefit-comparison.aspx

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

Kill-9 posted:

Looks like it's different in Texas. We don't have Plus RV. Our Plus covers RVs and bikes. Interesting.

http://www.texas.aaa.com/en-tx/become-member/Pages/benefit-comparison.aspx

Fuckin' AAA, man.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Geirskogul posted:

The only exception to the rule is a Harley rider with pillion: they never wave because. (In their mid-life-crisis minds) it would look bad to their trophy-wife if they interacted with the 'plebians.'

Hahahaha trophy wife. have you gotten a good look at most of the women on the backs of harleys?

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Trophy wives go in supercars :colbert:

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

opengl128 posted:

Hahahaha trophy wife. have you gotten a good look at most of the women on the backs of harleys?
Yeah I struggle to even call most of them a "consolation prize"

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^
Door prize.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Done found this one passed out by the terlets. Her name is Marge RAALFFFFF, or somethin'. Looket them boobies.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Godholio posted:

High lifts scare the poo poo out of me (for good reason) but they have their uses.

For instance, at the junkyard, say you need the transmission out of a truck:

Not the first time, either.

:colbert:

It's so nice to be able to walk into the junkyard and pull the transmission out of a truck in two hours without really breaking a sweat or crawling under anything dangerous.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao
I can never see kastein pictures and it really bugs me.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

Bang Me Please posted:

I can never see kastein pictures and it really bugs me.

He's image leeching from Facebook, can you not see images from Facebook either?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Faerunner posted:

I'm going to guess he's also using something like FB Disconnect or browsing from a restricted work machine.

Either way, I don't see inline Facebook anything either.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

AA chat:
I was just talking to my dad about bikes and whatnot and he told me to join the RAC because they look out for bikers and always have, whereas the AA don't want to know you if you're on a bike. Which, from what you guys have just said, seems is still the case. It's a little ironic though, because the AA have fleets of motorcycles but I've never seen an RAC bike.

And I know you're talking about the AAA, but gently caress RV add-ons for bike coverage. It isn't a recreational vehicle, it's my only goddamn vehicle!

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Faerunner posted:

according to the rules in PYF facebook's ok for image hosting, for some reason I thought that went for all of SA. Should I change it?

Bang Me Please, it's just more redneck junkyard hooliganery.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

kastein posted:

according to the rules in PYF facebook's ok for image hosting, for some reason I thought that went for all of SA. Should I change it?

Bang Me Please, it's just more redneck junkyard hooliganery.

Eh, whether it's okay or not is irrelevant to my post, I just call it image leeching by default. If it's okay by the rules, roll with it I guess. I actually don't know (I'd play it safe though)

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Faerunner posted:

We're Plus members, and they told us in no uncertain terms that they will absolutely not do RVs or motorcycles, just cars and personally owned trucks smaller than a box truck.

This varies from region to region with AAA.

For example - taken from http://www.texas.aaa.com/en-tx/become-member/pages/benefit-comparison.aspx

e;f;b :argh: Kill-9.

My card does say "Plus RV" though:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Dec 12, 2012

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

some texas redneck posted:

This varies from region to region with AAA.

Welcome to RV chat.

I have Foremost insuring mine. They do all the liability poo poo when it's not attached to anything as well as lodging if you're more than 50 miles from home and some ridiculous amount of towing. And it's costing me way under $200 a year. I think my last renewal was under $160 actually.

Don't sweat RVs under "normal" vehicle policies. They can be had for much cheaper on their own.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I was a bit late to the thread, it appears. :suicide:

Still, good to know about Foremost. I'd like to eventually own an RV, and it looks like they have a pretty drat wide array of options, including "living in your RV full time?" type policies.

I'm a little surprised to see that they're owned by Farmers though, the last agent I had at Farmers seemed to only handle auto, home, and life.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Dec 12, 2012

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

including "living in your RV full time?" type policies.

I believe you need to be 65 or older to qualify for that.

You'll understand how this is moderately funny if you ever buy an RV and end up at on of the more popular RV parks (don't do that unless you're so tired you literally can't drive safely anymore and there is no truck stop/highway rest stop to crash at).

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

There's an "RV Park" that's really more 70s/80s mobile homes and very-broken-not-so-mobile RVs near the house, I pass by it pretty regularly and occasionally through it. I know exactly what you're talking about.. :smith: Whenever I purchase an RV, a very very quiet Honda or Yamaha inverter generator would be purchased at the same time for the sole purpose of avoiding the "RV Parks". Maybe a decently sized battery bank and solar panels instead of the generator. I don't care that much about TV or microwave ovens, but I do care about a cold fridge and a way to power my laptop + charge my phone.

Whenever I finally do purchase an RV, it would be a relatively small one - if it can fit a small fridge, stove, couch, and bicycle, I'm happy.

When I go on any trip, I tend to take the extra scenic route anyway. My order of preference for any trip is drive -> train -> plane - driving gives me the most opportunity to take the back roads and really enjoy the drive, and plenty of times to bust out the camera. Amtrak has overnight layovers in San Antonio whenever I go visit family in my hometown, which allows me to spend entirely too much money/get shitfaced in downtown SA, and I always wind up meeting new/interesting/creepy/WTF people. Flying is incredibly unpleasant for me - I don't like strangers digging through my poo poo, and I don't like the "OMFG loving HURRY UP YOU ASSHOLES!" mentality. And I tend to travel with a little :420: anyway, that doesn't go over very well with the TSA

I will say, last time I was on Amtrak, nobody checked my ticket except when I checked my luggage. I walked right onto the train, rode the train, got home, and got my luggage by showing my ID... all without a single person looking at my ticket. :iiam:

tl;dr I like to stop and smell the flowers and I hate being rushed or in a hurry.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Dec 12, 2012

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

SierraEchoBravo posted:

The correct choice, 100% of the time. Pantera is the best driving music.

Well, I guess it depends on your music taste but nothing beats blasting Cowboys from Hell or Vulgar Display of Power and giving a car the lead foot.

An old favorite of mine was to set my friends CD playing alarm clock to some ungodly hour and cue up Great Southern Trendkill on the maximum volume.

Sure I'd get a phone call straight afterwards but I'd be laughing too much to care.

Puddin fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Dec 12, 2012

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Whenever I purchase an RV, a very very quiet Honda or Yamaha inverter generator would be purchased at the same time for the sole purpose of avoiding the "RV Parks". Maybe a decently sized battery bank and solar panels instead of the generator.

I don't care that much about TV or microwave ovens, but I do care about a cold fridge and a way to power my laptop + charge my phone.

Either way would work for what you're talking about. RV fridges run on 120v or propane (they are typically ammonia evaporation fridges, not compressor fridges like in a house).

You can probably get away with a couple of deep cycles on the tongue and have lights, heat, fridge, running water, hot water and laptop charging. I always set mine up with an extra 12V pin in the trailer hitch so the batteries recharge while I'm driving. Solar panels would be a bonus for when you're not in it, but often times won't be useful as you will want to park under trees and stuff when you're actually occupying the thing.

The generator setup I'm going to go with (that I've seen used many times before) is a pair of Honda EU2000i's. 2k is plenty for me for most everything other than running the AC, and I'd like that option. So there's a cable that you can run 2 2000I's in parallel with to produce 4k. It's a slick and very quiet setup.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

There's an "RV Park" that's really more 70s/80s mobile homes and very-broken-not-so-mobile RVs near the house, I pass by it pretty regularly and occasionally through it. I know exactly what you're talking about.. :smith: Whenever I purchase an RV, a very very quiet Honda or Yamaha inverter generator would be purchased at the same time for the sole purpose of avoiding the "RV Parks". Maybe a decently sized battery bank and solar panels instead of the generator. I don't care that much about TV or microwave ovens, but I do care about a cold fridge and a way to power my laptop + charge my phone.

Whenever I finally do purchase an RV, it would be a relatively small one - if it can fit a small fridge, stove, couch, and bicycle, I'm happy.

When I go on any trip, I tend to take the extra scenic route anyway. My order of preference for any trip is drive -> train -> plane - driving gives me the most opportunity to take the back roads and really enjoy the drive, and plenty of times to bust out the camera. Amtrak has overnight layovers in San Antonio whenever I go visit family in my hometown, which allows me to spend entirely too much money/get shitfaced in downtown SA, and I always wind up meeting new/interesting/creepy/WTF people. Flying is incredibly unpleasant for me - I don't like strangers digging through my poo poo, and I don't like the "OMFG loving HURRY UP YOU ASSHOLES!" mentality. And I tend to travel with a little :420: anyway, that doesn't go over very well with the TSA

I will say, last time I was on Amtrak, nobody checked my ticket except when I checked my luggage. I walked right onto the train, rode the train, got home, and got my luggage by showing my ID... all without a single person looking at my ticket. :iiam:

tl;dr I like to stop and smell the flowers and I hate being rushed or in a hurry.

I decided years ago that I'd rather get in my car and drive the 1000 miles home for Christmas than deal with all the fuckheads at the airport. Assuming no delays, flying only saves me about 5-6 hours, costs more, and I won't have my car when I'm home. I'm also almost guaranteed to be the guy stuck next to the 400 pound fatty and the collicy baby.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

veedubfreak posted:

I decided years ago that I'd rather get in my car and drive the 1000 miles home for Christmas than deal with all the fuckheads at the airport. Assuming no delays, flying only saves me about 5-6 hours, costs more, and I won't have my car when I'm home. I'm also almost guaranteed to be the guy stuck next to the 400 pound fatty and the collicy baby.

Agreed. Especially with the TSA, I'd rather jump in my TDI and drive cross country than fly. Its usually way cheaper and generally easier on me than flying is now days.

Four Banger
Oct 29, 2008
Found this on the facebook page for a local tint place.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Four Banger posted:

Found this on the facebook page for a local tint place.

What is that? The headlights make it look like an old Dodge Neon.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
That's exactly what it is.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

CommieGIR posted:

Agreed. Especially with the TSA, I'd rather jump in my TDI and drive cross country than fly. Its usually way cheaper and generally easier on me than flying is now days.

Even at 4 bucks a gallon for diesel, it still only costs me about 100 bucks to drive 1000 miles. All depends on how fast I'm going. Last year I made it in 14.5 hours door to door, only averaged 31 mpg because I had cruise set at 90 the whole way. Coming home took 17 hours and I got 35mpg at 75 but had a 30mph headwind the entire loving way. Hoping to push it closer to 40mpg this year.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

veedubfreak posted:

Even at 4 bucks a gallon for diesel, it still only costs me about 100 bucks to drive 1000 miles. All depends on how fast I'm going. Last year I made it in 14.5 hours door to door, only averaged 31 mpg because I had cruise set at 90 the whole way. Coming home took 17 hours and I got 35mpg at 75 but had a 30mph headwind the entire loving way. Hoping to push it closer to 40mpg this year.

Had to do 1,400 miles from Cheyenne, WY to Atlanta, GA.

Total cost was $149 and I made it in 27 hours. Got about 43 MPG, but I too was cruising at about 85 MPH average.

I made the trip from Chattanooga, TN to Cheyenne, WY when I first joined the Air Force. Fuel cost for my Jeep Cherokee was somewhere in the ballpark of $450.

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

I'm gonna fuck me a moon man!

There's an "RV Park" that's really more 70s/80s mobile homes and very-broken-not-so-mobile RVs near the house, I pass by it pretty regularly and occasionally through it.

When I read this, I picture northbound 75 in Plano.

For content, I see the car every week and it's covered in manufacturer stickers on both sides behind the front wheels(as one does), but as of the last time I saw it, it was still on stock wheels.

I'm skeptical about its time around the ring. I see enough ring stickers on cars and it annoys me far more than it should so I stuck a Neverbeen sticker on my truck... just so everyone knows my Nissan Frontier has never made a lap in Germany.

vvv Yes, exactly.

delpheye fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Dec 12, 2012

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

delpheye posted:

When I read this, I picture northbound 75 in Plano.

Nailed it, if you mean just before Spring Creek.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

delpheye posted:

I'm skeptical about its time around the ring.

Am I missing something? There's no ring sticker there. The thing in the lower left of the window is the shape of the country Colombia with the Colombian flag inside of it.

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

I'm gonna fuck me a moon man!
Huh. I'm an idiot. I glance at it once a week and it registered in my head as the ring. In 1 google I was proven wrong.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

delpheye posted:

Huh. I'm an idiot. I glance at it once a week and it registered in my head as the ring. In 1 google I was proven wrong.

That's ok. From the looks of things the car still belongs here.

Fermunky
May 30, 2003

The monkey is NOT impressed...

delpheye posted:

Your hatred for the ring stickers though is still justified.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
I don't get the ring sticker hate. Do people really think you need to have driven on a race track half the world away in order to put a sticker on what is probably one of the most iconic roads in the world on your bumper? Am I a poser if I have a NHRA sticker but don't drag race?

Fermunky
May 30, 2003

The monkey is NOT impressed...
It was my understanding that the Ring stickers were meant that you've been to and made a run on the Ring; not to indicate that you're a fan of the Ring, which ties into your NHRA question. Basically, I look at it like an "I Voted" sticker...

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Mcqueen posted:

I don't get the ring sticker hate. Do people really think you need to have driven on a race track half the world away in order to put a sticker on what is probably one of the most iconic roads in the world on your bumper? Am I a poser if I have a NHRA sticker but don't drag race?

My friends here in the UK have said that they frown upon having a ring sticker until you've driven it, which I think is reasonable. I have a spare sticker I bought to go on my next car when I get back to the US.

I have a feeling very few of the ones I do see in the US were actually bought at the stands in Adenau, much less by people who drove on the track, so I can understand the general reaction. I'm perfectly happy to talk to people about it when they ask about the sticker because I think it's the most exciting place in the world to drive a car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Mcqueen posted:

would you put a Whistler sticker on your car because you heard it's really good skiing/boarding out there? Or one of those Spanish bull stickers because Spain seems like a pretty cool country?
Car stickers like that are like personal advertisements you put on display to say "I have been to this place" or "I use this product". Putting them on when you haven't been to a place or don't use a product is like false advertising.