Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

It would be fantastic if the twist in this game is that they really aren't supposed to be killing each other, but this time all of the characters are gigantic psychopaths sent to the island to be reformed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codeorange
Jul 11, 2012

Leavemywife posted:

It's good to see him again. I wonder what Tubgami has been up to.

Undoubtedly Asahina's donut shop was a huge success and it spawned multiple chains. Tubgami/Togami's child had spent all their free time reading up on murder mysteries and eating donuts prior to this game's events.

Also, calling it now that the game's plot is to solve murder mysteries and whatnot outside of the school's island, and the student with the lowest performance rating gets executed.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Oh yes, yes, YES! This is the best music so far! (It's also my new favorite DR music!) :allears:

And wow Komaeda... That was not what I expected to hear from looks-like-Naegi's mouth.

evilspacehopper
Oct 10, 2012

Hinawa remembered in death as she was in life: endlessly eating birds.
Safe to say all these guys are the main cast now with some awesome names (Gundam is the best name. THE BEST) and that it is the original Togami. There's a lot of mystery right now due to the situation being the opposite of the first now, like where do we go from here other than try to conquer and the girls. But the biggest mystery for me is just how could Togami let himself go like that and wind up back at Hope's Peak.

Well anyway, I got to see them despair (those were some great reactions) but the situation couldn't be any more hopeful. I mean girls plus beach equals guys be happy, well I guess the girls would probably be in despair from the idea that Fatogami will be in a swimsuit...

Loving Usami/Monomi's theme too, could listen to it all day.

Well if it's just hanging out on an island with a bunch of students then lets start hanging with Togami as soon as we can.

ImperialGuard
Jan 10, 2010
I'd just like to say I really like the idea of someone buying Fedule a Usami avatar.

Maybe edit in the red sword for laughs.

Edit: May as well say what I was going to say, now that I doubt it. Hiyoko's hair decs look easily substituted for Monobear (Or Usami) ones kinda like with Junko.

ImperialGuard fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Dec 12, 2012

HelloWinter
May 27, 2012

"Hey, Nagito, what'cha
thinkin' about?"

"Oh, y'know. Murder stuff."

ImperialGuard posted:

I'd just like to say I really like the idea of someone buying Fedule a Usami avatar.

Maybe edit in the red sword for laughs.
Way ahead of you. :ssh:

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
Why does the game write out characters' names with katakana instead of kanji? Is it a stylistic choice?

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

The Chairman posted:

Why does the game write out characters' names with katakana instead of kanji? Is it a stylistic choice?

Probably to clarify pronounciation, since a lot of kanji can be read in several ways.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Holy gently caress, I never imagined they'd beat out Mr Monokuma's Lesson, but they managed it.

Why the hell are these games not released internationally goddamn

ImperialGuard
Jan 10, 2010

Rodyle posted:

Is that a serious question?
This series is anime as all gently caress.

Tombolo
Oct 13, 2012
Thanks so much for doing this, folks! I'm SHSL excited.

One theory that I don't think I've seen floated out there yet: This is the distant future. (or more likely, the distant past) That's why there are so many weird combinations of DR1 characters- it's the same gene pool.

Also, am I the only one getting Headmaster-y vibes from Hajime? I am too lazy to go back and grab a picture to check, but that was the first thing to come to mind.

Also Gundam Tanaka is the best name. These characters are already growing on me!

senseinobu
Jul 28, 2008

ImperialGuard posted:

Is that a serious question?
This series is anime as all gently caress.

Yeah, but there are other anime as gently caress games that have come out over here that are way worse than this one.

senseinobu fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Dec 12, 2012

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.
Two updates in and this is already amazing.
Every time Fatogami changes expressions it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside :syoon:

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Rodyle posted:

Because this series is a nightmare to localize, and professional localization teams don't get the benefit of running feedback on what people prefer like orenronen and Fedule are getting in spades. They're also generally on a much tighter schedule, and have less time to debate over the readings of individual lines in such a text-heavy game.

Also it's considered really unprofessional to leave Japanese VA in a game without a dub option, even if it's really good Japanese VA, unless you're a tiny budget studio or NIS.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I'm already loving Ibuki's expressions the most.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

senseinobu posted:

Yeah, but there are other anime as gently caress games that are way worse than this one.

It's mostly because you'd have to kind of redo the entire game structure from the ground up (assuming the trials or equivalent thereof work similarly to how they did in DR1), rewriting the phrases, the stylishtic dialogue, redoing the Anagrams entirely to work with specific letters, and that's not even going into the localization efforts needed. And this is for a game that - until Oren did the first LP, had no Western audience, so there was no way to gauge whether it would sell or not. It would be a risky, overtly Japanese gamble that could have been very costly and bungled horrendously.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Sonia Nevermind. Sonia loving Nevermind. The girl's using an alias, and I don't trust that at all.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug
edit: nevermind. (haha)

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Monathin posted:

It's mostly because you'd have to kind of redo the entire game structure from the ground up (assuming the trials or equivalent thereof work similarly to how they did in DR1), rewriting the phrases, the stylishtic dialogue, redoing the Anagrams entirely to work with specific letters, and that's not even going into the localization efforts needed. And this is for a game that - until Oren did the first LP, had no Western audience, so there was no way to gauge whether it would sell or not. It would be a risky, overtly Japanese gamble that could have been very costly and bungled horrendously.

XSEED actually talked about Dangan Ronpa in the giant begging thread they have where desperate people try to convince a small localization team to dump tons of money to release their dream games, and they explained some of the stuff that we're mentioning here about art assets and such. Apparently it was something they thought about but was way too complex and costly to get off the ground on a platform like the PSP in the West.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

orenronen posted:

Eh?! Is that thing a chihuahua?!

Huh, maybe those furry accusations weren't so far off after all?

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

I shall admit my wickedness.

Haifisch posted:

So Usami's quirk is tawking wike this. I'm guessing the original Japanese had her using their equivilant of baby talk, and this was the best way to get it across without being too annoying? I don't really mind it, although that might just be because it brings Elmer Fudd to mind whenever Usami speaks. :v:
Considering that people imagined Monobear talking like Bugs Bunny, that comparison doesn't seem out of place.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
So we have Monomi, who is going on about raising the hope of the students on this island. No sign of Monobear outside a single opening screen earlier.

Thinking that once Usami raises the student's hope, that's when Monobear comes in, and starts with the Despair.

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

That is totally Naegi and Togami infiltrating another attempt by someone to make Despair rule over Hope.

Or they both went insane and started doing it themselves.

Either way, or if it's something even better, I'm on board.

EchoPrima
Oct 17, 2012

Okay so I'm immortal but other than that I've basically got fuck all going for me!
It seems Usami took the students the students to the island to learn about hope, also either this is a computer simulation or Usami's a loving wizard.

HangedManArcana
Dec 12, 2012

...T...Thank you.
A freaking deserted island. What the gently caress!? At least with the island once they start dying off it won't be "Stab in the gut, club on the head, club on the head, club on the head, Club on the head twice and the poisoned, stab in the gut."
I'm a bit upset the deaths weren't that creative in the last game, although the cover up and the circumstances for the deaths were a lot more interesting to me.
Let's see what sort of things people can do this time. :munch:
:f5:

HangedManArcana fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Dec 12, 2012

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

I shall admit my wickedness.

EchoPrima posted:

It seems Usami took the students the students to the island to learn about hope, also either this is a computer simulation or Usami's a loving wizard.
The proper term is "A magical girl".

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?

BFC posted:

That is totally Naegi and Togami infiltrating another attempt by someone to make Despair rule over Hope.

Or they both went insane and started doing it themselves.

Either way, or if it's something even better, I'm on board.

I thought of that, but if that were the case then why would Togami use his real name and Naegi use a sorta-anagram of his?

Tombolo
Oct 13, 2012

Sherringford posted:

I thought of that, but if that were the case then why would Togami use his real name and Naegi use a sorta-anagram of his?

We're talking about the guy who framed himself for murder and literally Naegi, right?

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

Sherringford posted:

Good point. Falling back to the "They went mad" idea.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

HangedManArcana posted:

A freaking deserted island. What the gently caress!? At least with the island once they start dying off it won't be "Stab in the gut, club on the head, club on the head, club on the head, Club on the head twice and the poisoned, stab in the gut."
I'm a bit upset the deaths weren't that creative in the last game, although the cover up and the circumstances for the deaths were a lot more interesting to me.
Let's see what sort of things people can do this time. :munch:

Let me be the one to say welcome to the unfiltered forums, where you don't actually have to say "gently caress" anymore (in fact, gently caress that). :)

EchoPrima posted:

I'm thinking the classroom was always on the island to begin with, and the students just didn't know because their memories were wiped. Making it fall apart like that was still a pretty neat trick, but not outside the realm of possibility.

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010
Honestly, I think the main reason Dangan Ronpa hasn't been localized is because it's a PSP game. If it was on the DS, some company may have taken the plunge after seeing several VNs do well on the DS outside of Japan. The PSP is just too dead-in-the-water outside of Japan to justify bringing anything over. For reference, not even Square is localizing their PSP games anymore, and that's a big company. A small company is kind of just asking for it.

Looking at the scenario, it would be interesting if there were never any incentives for the cast to kill each other, and it just went Lord of the Flies anyway.

rinski
Sep 12, 2007

Rockabilly chef is awesome. There's enough alternative-looking people in this game to host a battle of the bands.

Baseless speculation: in that "cast of characters" video, they only do crotch shots of the female characters. That means 3 female-as-male characters. Boom.

rinski fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Dec 12, 2012

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Assuming this isn't just huge red herring territory,

Nagito Komaeda -> Naegi Makoto da

What does the "da" mean in Japanese? I feel like I've definitely heard this phrasing before, most likely because it's probably a very common word phrase.

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.

Haifisch posted:

So Usami's quirk is tawking wike this. I'm guessing the original Japanese had her using their equivilant of baby talk, and this was the best way to get it across without being too annoying? I don't really mind it, although that might just be because it brings Elmer Fudd to mind whenever Usami speaks. :v:

Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting the most dangerous game. uhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuh

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

KamikazePotato posted:

Honestly, I think the main reason Dangan Ronpa hasn't been localized is because it's a PSP game. If it was on the DS, some company may have taken the plunge after seeing several VNs do well on the DS outside of Japan. The PSP is just too dead-in-the-water outside of Japan to justify bringing anything over. For reference, not even Square is localizing their PSP games anymore, and that's a big company. A small company is kind of just asking for it.

Dangan Ronpa 1 is out on iOS and Android, so you could do well here.

Speaking of which, now to start checking the Japan App Store again.

Tombolo
Oct 13, 2012

FPzero posted:

What does the "da" mean in Japanese? I feel like I've definitely heard this phrasing before, most likely because it's probably a very common word phrase.

I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure it's along the lines of "It's __!"

HangedManArcana
Dec 12, 2012

...T...Thank you.

loquacius posted:

Let me be the one to say welcome to the unfiltered forums, where you don't actually have to say "gently caress" anymore (in fact, gently caress that). :)

Eh, I'm going to do it anyways. I missed the timeframe of doing it in the last one, and saying 'what the gently caress' and 'gently caress!' is just silly.

And on a note of the characters: I love all the designs, and I'm going to /try/ not to get attached to anyone so I don't get saddened like with Chihiro and chihirobo last game.

HangedManArcana fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Dec 12, 2012

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

EchoPrima posted:

If it is a computer simulation then that could explain why Togami is fat, he messed up his avatar settings, and if the Naegi is Nagito theory is correct then I can totally imagine Nagito as what Naegi thinks is a cool looking person

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

Actually, are any of the track names spoilers? If not, would you mind adding the music of the game to OP as the LP goes on? Some of the music in DR1 was great but scrubbing through old updates in order to find a specific track was a pain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010

slowbeef posted:

Dangan Ronpa 1 is out on iOS and Android, so you could do well here.

Speaking of which, now to start checking the Japan App Store again.

How well do games like that do on iOS/Android, though? I'm actually not sure. I know Square has tried to break into that market a couple times but I'm pretty sure they haven't had much success.

Best bet would be something like Dangan Ronpa on Steam, but that has no chance of happening.

• Locked thread