Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KingEffingFrost
Jul 9, 2011

Extreme corset action!
The good news, is that Mr. Monobear's Extracurricular Lesson is no longer stuck in my head. The bad news is that it was immediately replaced by that Practice Lesson song.

I liked that the video clip actually showed the classroom unfolding like a pop-up book. I wonder if this game still does the pop-ups for the island environments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

BFC posted:

Actually, are any of the track names spoilers? If not, would you mind adding the music of the game to OP as the LP goes on? Some of the music in DR1 was great but scrubbing through old updates in order to find a specific track was a pain.

Well, for the first game seeing the soundtrack ahead of time did spoil Dangan Ronpa 1's big twist, so I'd say it's not worth the risk.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

FPzero posted:

What does the "da" mean in Japanese? I feel like I've definitely heard this phrasing before, most likely because it's probably a very common word phrase.
It's one of the many, many forms of "desu," which works vaguely like "to be" in Japanese. It's actually a lot more complicated than that, but you can call it close enough for government work.

Ibuki's teary-eyed freakout right as soon as absolutely anything went wrong was pretty impressive. The lass doesn't strike me as terribly stable.

Tits McGee seems like she'll also be filling Asahina's "I will absolutely come to the wrong conclusion every single time about everything" role in the cast. Given her name, accent, etc, I suspect she's similarly gonna be the perky one.

I... don't know what to make of Togami. I mean, he couldn't possibly have been stupid enough to fall for the same trick twice, right? Right? He's gotta be some kinda descendant or or other member of the family or something. I guess we don't really know when, exactly, DR2 is taking place at this point relative to DR1, since it's entirely possible there was another time-skip (or, contrawise, wasn't and things happen during the two "blank" years.) It would be odd for Hope's Peak to be rebuilt and the world completely restored if it's post-DR1 and still relatively soon after, so I dunno...

Also, the hex text doesn't strike me as particularly spoilery, lacking any other knowledge of the game beyond what's posted so far. I assume it's some sort of "Oh of course" sort of thing that would make sense later, but right now it's just kinda... some words.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

KamikazePotato posted:

How well do games like that do on iOS/Android, though? I'm actually not sure. I know Square has tried to break into that market a couple times but I'm pretty sure they haven't had much success.

Best bet would be something like Dangan Ronpa on Steam, but that has no chance of happening.

To tell the truth, I don't know. DR on iOS has a lot going for it - it does IAP but gives you a lot of content (Chapter 1) for free. Plus it's Unity, so it's... you know, fairly easier to develop than doing it from scratch.

But it's funny you mention because Unity also lets you output to PC and Mac, so a Steam version shouldn't be that hard for Spike/Chunsoft to actually develop, although apparently licensing stuff and getting it in the Steam store has its own issues - again, to be fair, I'm not well versed on it.

Ekusukariba posted:

If it is a computer simulation then that could explain why Togami is fat, he messed up his avatar settings, and if the Naegi is Nagito theory is correct then I can totally imagine Nagito as what Naegi thinks is a cool looking person

Just to make sure, all these "computer simulation" theories are based on:

- A possibly stylistic choice of a "glitching" vision of Hajime at Hope's Peak Academy
- Some almost definitely stylistic choices of a hex dump and video game style graphics, the latter of which was in the first game (see: when characters were voted guilty)

We don't have, really, anything to go on in terms of what's happening. For theories like that, they need to be based on what the characters are actually seeing and saying and doing; not just what the game is presenting to the player. (I don't think the guy in The Space Journey actually saw a planet and moon with big faces.) In fact right now, story-wise, all we have to go on in terms of connections to the first game are an overweight Togami and Hope's Peak Academy.

Speculation is fun, but... we're two updates in. There's nothing to base anything on.

AbusePuppy posted:

Also, the hex text doesn't strike me as particularly spoilery, lacking any other knowledge of the game beyond what's posted so far. I assume it's some sort of "Oh of course" sort of thing that would make sense later, but right now it's just kinda... some words.

Just to be clear to everyone else, the OP said the translation counts as spoilers (though vague and currently nonsensical), so please do not post it in the thread.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Fedule's Wiveting Editowial Anecdotes
Episode the Second

Wet's tawk abowt Usami.

Remind yourselves - if you've forgotten - that I'm not reading directly from the Japanese script. I get a flat translation and some notes. Here's what I knew, going in, about Usami's speech:

[She] tends to turn "s" to "ch" (i.e. "desu" -> "dechu"), which is a form of baby speak.

Words and phrases can be - relatively - easily literally translated. Speech impediments, however, are a bit harder, because mispronunciation affects, and is interpreted by, different languages in very different ways.

The most direct possible "translation" of this kind of speech in English would have been to give Usami a lithp - sorry, a lisp. You're doing the same thing with the letters (almost), right?

"It meanth a thchool event where thtudenth go on a trip and perform group activitieth under the supervithion of a teacher!"

Argh.

This sounds less like babytalk and more like... someone with a speech impediment. Worse, it's kind of a pain to read. Words, people.

What we wanted is something obvious and distinctive, that can manifest in almost all of her lines, and yet is unintrusive when reading.

So along comes the "w" routine. "R" is one of the harder consonants to pronounce correctly at the beginning of syllables as it is - even English-speaking adults get tripped up trying to get the hang of the "rolling" R sound. Even the hard R sound is basically just a slightly altered pronunciation of the even more impactful W sound.

To be perfectly truthful, though... all of this occurred to me after I started thinking about "rabbits" and "speech impediments" and almost immediately floated off to "Be vewwy vewwy qwiet! I'm hunting wabbits!" Bingo.

As luck would have it, the same thing that causes those infants not yet fully versed in speech to have trouble with Rs can also be applied to certain L and V sounds, and turns all of these into Ws too. So it can be applied to lots of different words!

The caveat, as always, is readability. For this reason, while quite prevalent, I quite deliberately made Usami's speech a little inconsistent (Saying this also excuses me from any accidental inconsistencies you may find! There are a few!). The idea is, she only W-ifies words she's emphasizing - typically key phrases or other focal words in sentences - but otherwise speaks normally.

The result of all this is a speaking manner that very definitely carries across Usami's mascot-like demeanour but in a way that's a lot less likely to get irritating (and ruin the readability of otherwise perfectly good sentences) than W-ifying every eligible word in every line.

Anyway, once this idea occurred to me, it was pretty easy to codify and apply. And, once I realized it would enable the line "It's a wuvly, wuvly animal with fwuffy, fwuffy fur!" and the horrifyingly dissonant pronunciation of "kiwwing", the deal was as good as sealed.

Now, an anecdote!

orenronen posted:

Where...? It's obwious, isn't it...?

Somewhere! Beyond the sea!

Can’t you see?!

Originally, Usami performs the first line of Ryuuha Hayashi and Takeshi Inoue’s classic government-approved kindergarden song “Umi” (“Sea”) to explain to our cast where they are. It goes, “The sea is wide! The sea is large!”

As explained, originally, Usami did her little song reference and then said "You know! That thing!". It was kinda cute, I guess? Anyway, I figured it'd be nice to do something similar in English, but, what song to reference? The immediate and overwhelming temptation was to do something involving Under the Sea. As much as it's guaranteed to be immediately understood as a reference, though, it's kinda impossible to properly tie in to the sentiment of "we are currently at the seaside". So it's out. And once that was out... there wasn't very much left. Also, I can't speak for the English-speaking world outside of England, but over here, we don't really have "government sanctioned kindergarten songs nursery rhymes"... the government has stayed the hell away from dabbling in children's songs since 2000, after their last attempt became something of a running joke that just won't die. There are songs about the sea, but none that I can count on being sufficiently well-known to justify referencing.

Eventually, I settled on a line that can either be read as Usami being deliberately annoying ("where are we?" "somewhere!") or as a reference to Somewhere Beyond the Sea, which enjoys a measure of mindshare in today's gaming generation due to being featured in and in association with 2007's BioShock. Plus there's the whole sea/see thing, which, honestly, was an accident. Trust me - when I start deliberately making puns, you'll know.

Next time: There'll be charcterization! I swear!

Fedule fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Dec 16, 2012

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
What... is this game. :psyduck:

We have names for everyone now, but I'm going to wait for offical introductions because freeze-framing the video everything is gonna be a bit of a pain. It's also eerie how everyone is just so smiley in it.

All I can think of is that Zeus/Nidai might be one of the first to go crazy matched up against Usami.

But hey, if it's a beach, we've gotta have a beach fanservice shot at some point, right? :eng101:

Now watch as it turns out to be of Togami

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Dec 12, 2012

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

This game is going places already!

By the way, from that update I got the impression that Chef... Teruteru plays Hagakure's role of plot exposition idiot in this game. I hope I'm wrong, because that might mean his face of utter evil may be with us until the end.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Oh poo poo new thread! That was fast.

Fat Togami made me lose it, I still haven't really recovered. I don't know if I will ever be able to take anything the guy says in this game seriously. Every time his screenshot or icon appears I just start giggling. Oh well.

Lightning eyebrows is awesome, hoping he survives to the end. And your anecdotes are welcome Fedule. The thread is off to a great start.

Dragoon Cody
Aug 3, 2011

It's time to make the moon fall.
If I could make a suggestion, more warning that a Youtube video is going to contain interesting stuff that isn't in the update itself would be helpful. I don't usually click the videos because listening to characters talk in Japanese while I read the same thing in English isn't really my thing, but after the update people started talking about how some video introduced all of the characters and I had to scramble back to find it.

Dragoon Cody fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Dec 12, 2012

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

I shall admit my wickedness.

Just noticed that we still have our surveillance cameras (machine guns in case someone decides to swim away?) and announcements monitors, even on the beach.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Dragoon Cody posted:

If I can make a suggestion, more warning that a Youtube video is going to contain interesting stuff that isn't in the update itself would be helpful. I don't usually click the videos because listening to characters talk in Japanese while I read the same thing in English isn't really my thing, but after the update people started talking about how some video introduced all of the characters and I had to scramble back to find it.

It's stated pretty unambiguously in the OP that all videos that aren't trial coverage are required viewing.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Dragoon Cody posted:

If I can make a suggestion, more warning that a Youtube video is going to contain interesting stuff that isn't in the update itself would be helpful. I don't usually click the videos because listening to characters talk in Japanese while I read the same thing in English isn't really my thing, but after the update people started talking about how some video introduced all of the characters and I had to scramble back to find it.

Easy solution: just watch all the videos.

Also looking forward to finding out more about Sonia Nevermind's name.

Dragoon Cody
Aug 3, 2011

It's time to make the moon fall.
Ah, missed that bit.

Confused Llama
Jan 15, 2008
The llama is a quadruped which lives in big rivers like the Amazon. It has two ears, a heart, a forehead, and a beak for eating honey. But it is provided with fins for swimming.

Dragoon Cody posted:

orenronen posted:

Video links are still between film icons . Full videos of trial sequences will be provided to showcase the game's excellent vocal talent and dynamic camera movement, but the content will all be replicated in screenshots. Videos in the adventure part, however, should be considered required viewing.

e: fb

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Fedule posted:

As explained, originally, Usami did her little song reference and then said "You know! That thing!". It was kinda cute, I guess? Anyway, I figured it'd be nice to do something similar in English, but, what song to reference?
Oh!

Who lives in a classwoom wight by the sea?

U-sa-mi!

It bugs me that Usami's name is one syllable too short to work here, but this popped into my head immediately after reading the translation notes.

I can't really think of any other sea-related songs that a lot of people would have heard of, but as you said, there's not really much to work with here that still makes sense in context.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Haifisch posted:

Oh!

Who lives in a classwoom wight by the sea?

U-sa-mi!

It bugs me that Usami's name is one syllable too short to work here, but this popped into my head immediately after reading the translation notes.

U-sa-mi-chan!

There!

Vexrm
Feb 2, 2009

Full of hot raspberry jam blooded passion.
Is there an easy place for one to buy the sound track to this or the first game? I'm pretty sure I need to give folks money for these amazing songs.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I can't stop giggling every time Fatgami shows up. I can't wait to see the explanation for him.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Waffleman_ posted:

U-sa-mi-chan!

There!

Adowable, fwuffy and cuddwy is she!
U-sa-mi-chan!

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

KamikazePotato posted:

How well do games like that do on iOS/Android, though? I'm actually not sure. I know Square has tried to break into that market a couple times but I'm pretty sure they haven't had much success.

Best bet would be something like Dangan Ronpa on Steam, but that has no chance of happening.

To be entirely fair, I think Square's problem with the iOS/Android market is that they're charging ten to fifteen dollars for their old games, which may or may not be correctly optimized - but you're talking anywhere from $9.99 to $16.00 or so in a market that almost exclusively deals in prices below the ten dollar threshold. Hell, the iOS market's flagship "serious business" title for a while, Infinity Blade, never sold for more the five bucks. I highly doubt Dangan Ronpa would have the same problems.

Monathin fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Dec 12, 2012

Rith
Oct 10, 2012

YOU'VE GOT THAT WRONG!
Really enjoying the editing anecdotes, Fedule! The Ws work well, I think; they certainly hold up interpretation less than a lisp would. I like to imagine that you had to say all of Usami's lines aloud to yourself, baby voice and all, to check where the W-replacement would work.

(EDIT: This comment came out creepier than I'd intended. Whoops.)

Rith fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Dec 12, 2012

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

I know this is no "junko is an antagonist" from page 1, but still

Me, on page 1 posted:

I bet they're already on a tropical island, but that pink bear set up a fake classroom to surprise them.

Woo! I honestly didn't know that was the case, despite it turning out to be exactly true. I know you only have my word for it, but it really was a guess. I guessed based on the thread title, OP, and the fact that he heard waves splashing briefly. Although I was wrong about Usami being a bear, when she's quite obviously a bunny wabbit.

Also holy poo poo Fatgami is regular togami after all!? And not-naegi totally is real naegi using a different-yet-suspiciously-similar name, calling it now. Why else would he assume they're going to be forced to murder each other?

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Man that opening animation was ballin as hell.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

I'm glad you went for just w's instead of a full lisp Fedule, I'm having enough trouble not hearing Johnathon Ross's voice in my head as it is.

Also it is surprisingly difficult to think of songs about the sea that have entered the public unconscious.

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst
I like the Somewhere Beyond the Sea reference. It may not fit exactly with the fluffy kindergarten theme she has going on like the JP version, but it still shows a certain playfulness.

I think Spongebob would be much more out of place.

With this starting again and slowbeff maybe starting a 999 LP (the guy with the test post hasn't done anything after one month, so I don't know if that's still going on), this will be a good Winter for LPs. :allears:

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
See! There's not going to be killing on this island! Everything's going to be fine, these characters aren't going to die and it'll be happy and perfect!

:ohdear: Starting with more Hope just means more Despair when we hit rock bottom.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

"My Bonnie lies over the ocean"?

e: Strike that. "Bunny."

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Vexrm posted:

Is there an easy place for one to buy the sound track to this or the first game? I'm pretty sure I need to give folks money for these amazing songs.

The soundtrack for the game is available on amazon.co.jp. Shipping can be a little expensive (I was lucky to have a friend who visited Japan bring me a copy), but it's very much worth it - we're talking about a 3 CD soundtrack with more than 100 tracks. A lot of the DR1 music is also included.

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005
Oren, now that the characters have been introduced, any chance we can get a post with matching names/pictures? I don't think I'll be able to keep them straight in my head without a cheat sheet.

It's interesting that the last game went out of its way to introduce all the characters with detailed profiles up front, while this game has you meeting them along the way. Makes you wonder what Hajime's circumstances are - Naegi had reason to look up his classmates because he was a bonafide enrollee, but Hajime seems a little more suspect.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

orenronen posted:

Miss Monomi's Practice Lesson

I highly recommend clicking that music link there.

Wait. Why is the name of the song "Miss Monomi's Practice Lesson", when she calls herself Usami? Something is fishy.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

orenronen posted:

The soundtrack for the game is available on amazon.co.jp. Shipping can be a little expensive (I was lucky to have a friend who visited Japan bring me a copy), but it's very much worth it - we're talking about a 3 CD soundtrack with more than 100 tracks. A lot of the DR1 music is also included.

I'm going to Japan for two weeks with a friend over the holidays, is it likely something I could physically get in a store?

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Question, whats up with the shark teeth on Kazuichi Souda? Is that of some significance as a mark of a certain character type or personality? I've seen it enough with random browsing to make me curious now that it's popped up here too.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

sleepy.eyes posted:

Question, whats up with the shark teeth on Kazuichi Souda? Is that of some significance as a mark of a certain character type or personality? I've seen it enough with random browsing to make me curious now that it's popped up here too.

It's probably just a stylistic choice to make him look more like a punk.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

sudonim posted:

Oren, now that the characters have been introduced, any chance we can get a post with matching names/pictures? I don't think I'll be able to keep them straight in my head without a cheat sheet.

It's interesting that the last game went out of its way to introduce all the characters with detailed profiles up front, while this game has you meeting them along the way. Makes you wonder what Hajime's circumstances are - Naegi had reason to look up his classmates because he was a bonafide enrollee, but Hajime seems a little more suspect.

We don't have a sprite for Gundam yet, but I think I can do everyone else.

Hajime Hinata
Chiaki Nanami
Sonia Nevermind
Akane Owari
Hiyoko Saionii
Kazuichi Souda
Mahiru Koizumi
Teruteru Hanamura
Nagito Komaeda
Nekomaru Nidai
Ibuki Mioda
Peko Pekoyama
Mikan Tsumiki
Fuyuhiko Kuzuryuu
Byakuya Togami

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

quote:

You know... if you keep showting like that your thwoat is going to get sore.

Maybe it's just me, but I dunno if "showting" really works here.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Hm. Come to think of it, if we're assuming an even 50/50 gender split here like there was in DR1 (if you count Chihiro as a guy), that means the York-alike is probably a dude too. I stand corrected, I suppose.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Anatharon posted:

I'm going to Japan for two weeks with a friend over the holidays, is it likely something I could physically get in a store?

Definitely. If you're visiting Akihabara, pretty much any location that sells CDs will have copies, plus they're setting up a temporary specialty Dangan Ronpa store between December 22 and January 20 (with a 2 day new year break).

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

sudonim posted:

I'm guessing oren's going to update his "reserved" post on the first page with the character profiles at the appropriate time.

Orfeo
Nov 27, 2007

Ectobiology sure does involve a lot of button pushing.

DaveWoo posted:

I'm guessing oren's going to update his "reserved" post on the first page with the character profiles at the appropriate time.

And character art! :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

orenronen posted:

Definitely. If you're visiting Akihabara, pretty much any location that sells CDs will have copies, plus they're setting up a temporary specialty Dangan Ronpa store between December 22 and January 20 (with a 2 day new year break).

Oh god, if someone goes please take pictures.

• Locked thread