Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Four Banger posted:

Found this on the facebook page for a local tint place.

That guy has actually been autocrossing this year so he's better than most ricers in my book.

The exhaust sounds about as awful as you'd think though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

Linedance posted:

would you put a Whistler sticker on your car because you heard it's really good skiing/boarding out there? Or one of those Spanish bull stickers because Spain seems like a pretty cool country?
Car stickers like that are like personal advertisements you put on display to say "I have been to this place" or "I use this product". Putting them on when you haven't been to a place or don't use a product is like false advertising.

That's a fair point, but I would almost view the ring sticker as one that transcends the actual place and is almost more of a 'I enjoy racing', specifically road racing and more so the lifestyle of those who race on that road. I don't think its a coincidence you see the ring sticker mostly on VW, BMW, and Porsches.

To me, it's a lot like that Monster Energy logo kids plaster everything with now days. They most likely aren't sponsored by Monster or even participate in 'extreme' sports, but they do identify with the lifestyle whatever amazing marketing team has them buying into.

I guess I just viewed that Ring sticker as some sort of...'motorsports fan identifier'? I remember back when The Car Lounge Forum existed (maybe it still does) if you had the Ring sticker on your car without having driven it, it was akin to blasphemy or some poo poo. Even if you have gone, who's to say you didn't just go on a bus or take it as slow as the bus itself? Made roll my eyes so hard in my head I got detached retinas.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Mcqueen posted:

That's a fair point, but I would almost view the ring sticker as one that transcends the actual place and is almost more of a 'I enjoy racing', specifically road racing and more so the lifestyle of those who race on that road. I don't think its a coincidence you see the ring sticker mostly on VW, BMW, and Porsches.

I laugh at Jeeps with Moab stickers and 20s. So yeah.

bung
Dec 14, 2004

I wouldn't put a ring sticker on unless the particular car had been driven there.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

bung posted:

I wouldn't put a ring sticker on unless the particular car had been driven there.

Which is a shame, because the whole point of that sticker is to hopefully strike up conversation with another enthusiast who has also raced on the ring, regardless of happening to live in Nurburg or thousands of miles away. So basically people in the US who have been there but in a rental car since they can't bring their actual car to Germany (like me) can't identify themselves.

This is a stupid rule.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
More or less, apparently some people here care too much what other people think of them.

SierraEchoBravo
Jun 23, 2010
I apologize for crap (and huge!)cell phone pictures. I know absolutely nothing about photography and I'll re size them when I have a moment between finals.

Coming out of the TD Bank in Winooski, VT today and I see that
I'm parked next to this...thing.

I don't even know, I didn't stay long enough to investigate as I feared having to actually meet or see the person who drives it. It also only had 3 of the gold wheels.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Linedance posted:

Car stickers like that are like personal advertisements you put on display to say "I have been to this place" or "I use this product". Putting them on when you haven't been to a place or don't use a product is like false advertising.
You're getting warmer...

BlackMK4 posted:

More or less, apparently some people here care too much what other people think of them.
Almost there...

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Real lads rock stickers that the restaurant owners in Adenau give you for being there so often :getin:

Also the BBS (reps?) on that BMW are nice and I hope he bent one doing a drift and didn't just buy 3 for some reason.

vvvv: It's not factory height!!!!!

Bape Culture fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Dec 13, 2012

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011

SierraEchoBravo posted:

I apologize for crap (and huge!)cell phone pictures. I know absolutely nothing about photography and I'll re size them when I have a moment between finals.

Coming out of the TD Bank in Winooski, VT today and I see that
I'm parked next to this...thing.

I don't even know, I didn't stay long enough to investigate as I feared having to actually meet or see the person who drives it. It also only had 3 of the gold wheels.
An Alpina, huh? Pretty rare, from what little I know. They're basically an authorized BMW manufacturer that put in a bit more luxury in the trims/models, and often powertrain changes. For one thing, instead of a turbocharger, you might see a supercharger. I'd probably choose an Alpina over a regular 3-series if given the option, but they are also more expensive.

Edit: Read this, since I was rather off about what Alpina is. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpina

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I think his point was probably more that it's likely a fake one.

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
Haha, well either way that particular one does deserve to be in this thread.

SierraEchoBravo
Jun 23, 2010

InitialDave posted:

I think his point was probably more that it's likely a fake one.

I cant be sure it isn't fake, I'm going to assume it is. For comparison, my car is the silver 5 series in the first picture and has stock ride height. His (radiator?) hoses were touching the ground :downs:

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

SierraEchoBravo posted:

I cant be sure it isn't fake, I'm going to assume it is. For comparison, my car is the silver 5 series in the first picture and has stock ride height. His (radiator?) hoses were touching the ground :downs:
There's a B7 that lived over in Essex a while ago.

Poing
Jul 25, 2001

Gaze into my eyes...
Your 'Ring sticker is about as likely to strike a conversation as your 26.2 sticker.

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

Zlatan Imhobitch posted:

Real lads rock stickers that the restaurant owners in Adenau give you for being there so often :getin:

Also the BBS (reps?) on that BMW are nice and I hope he bent one doing a drift and didn't just buy 3 for some reason.

vvvv: It's not factory height!!!!!

Those are likely BMW Style 5 wheels, a BBS manufactured component ;)

SierraEchoBravo
Jun 23, 2010

thealphabetsez posted:

Whatever they are, they don't look to be in great shape. The random M series wheel on the back is hilarious though. I wonder what the story on the lack of bumper is.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Four spaces:

666? No idea.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

Poing posted:

Your 'Ring sticker is about as likely to strike a conversation as your 26.2 sticker.

My old roommate who ran marathons talked to people with that sticker all the time. :shrug:

djdanno13
Apr 20, 2004

Killing Nazi Zombies since June 14 1775

enojy posted:

Four spaces:

666? No idea.

To be fair, he does have a trailer, it's not like a giant truck and trailer is going to fit in one parking spot, and it looks like he went to the far edge of the parking lot. If this was in front of the store though, that would just be douchey. However wtf is up with that back window?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

enojy posted:

Four spaces:

666? No idea.

pretty sure he did that to avoid being blocked in by some idiot. There's nothing quite as annoying as pulling through a pair of spaces (due to the trailer) and going into the store for 5 minutes only to find a person in each space on each side of you, leaving you unable to make the 90 degree turn out of the space and down the row without sideswiping one or both of them.

I've taken up a handful of spaces while towing for the exact same reason but I've always done it at the back of the lot to avoid pissing people off. The best plan is always to pull through in a sort of sweeping turn so you're taking 3-5 spaces and have your nose sorta diagonal and pointing out into the row, but not quite into the next space, so you can just pull out and swing a little wide even if someone takes that spot.

Or park along the edge of the lot, but that's not always possible.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

BoostCreep posted:

My old roommate who ran marathons talked to people with that sticker all the time. :shrug:

is that what that referred to? I thought it was inches of wheel diameter or inches of suspension lift or something.
I think I'd rather strike a conversation with someone sporting a "meat is murder" sticker. Those runner types are weird.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000

Linedance posted:

would you put a Whistler sticker on your car because you heard it's really good skiing/boarding out there? Or one of those Spanish bull stickers because Spain seems like a pretty cool country?

I have a beardlife, hoonigan, and #tireslayer decal on my car because i enjoy the videos and drifting in general. My car is over 300hp but being fwd it isn't a drift car by any means. People talk to me about my decals regularly, especially beardlife which i figured anyone into drifting would know about. The #tireslayer decal has a double meaning since i install tires every day.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Linedance posted:

is that what that referred to? I thought it was inches of wheel diameter or inches of suspension lift or something.

A marathon is 26.2 miles. A half-marathon is 13.1.

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer
Let's just cut to the chase and say all stickers of any kind, legit or not, are lame. Do whatever you want to your car, but don't think that just because you actually ran a marathon or drove on a road it makes you less lame. If you want to start a conversation, use words.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Safety Dance posted:

A marathon is 26.2 miles. A half-marathon is 13.1.

So that's what that means! :doh:

Poing
Jul 25, 2001

Gaze into my eyes...
I honestly can't believe that people are proud of running a half marathon.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Poing posted:

Considering how many people who have told me they "can't even run 1 mile," I understand why they might be proud. Americans (in general) are lazy, and proud of it.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

thealphabetsez posted:

Ah cool, for some reason I thought they were stepped dishes :)

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

Poing posted:

Holy cow, what a dick thing to say.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Poing posted:

I honestly can't believe that people are proud of driving 12.9 miles.

Context fixed.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

bidikyoopi posted:

Let's just cut to the chase and say all stickers of any kind, legit or not, are lame.

Don't visit Asheville NC then. The standard vehicle you will encounter there is a Subaru wagon with the entire rear end of the car covered by stickers, at least one of which must be a "coexist" or "critical thinking: the real national deficit" sticker.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Mcqueen posted:

Holy cow, what a dick thing to say.

Running it quickly is one thing. Just about anyone can sign up for a half marathon and finish it in a few hours. The sticker doesn't really elaborate.

Now, finishing an Iron-man Triathlon? That takes some serious guts.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
holy hell there is a lot of :spergin: about dumb stickers and marathons and the ring in here.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
I'm legit sad that the election is over because boy howdy did it lead to some hilariously bad bumper stickers, made the drive to/from work a little more amusing seeing lifted hick trucks with a dozen gently caress YOU OBUMMER stickers plastered on the rear end end

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC

Toucan Sam posted:

I have a beardlife, hoonigan, and #tireslayer decal on my car because i enjoy the videos and drifting in general. My car is over 300hp but being fwd it isn't a drift car by any means. People talk to me about my decals regularly, especially beardlife which i figured anyone into drifting would know about. The #tireslayer decal has a double meaning since i install tires every day.

I still claim me growing a beard is what made BG do it, although no way he would ever admit it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

kastein posted:

holy hell there is a lot of :spergin: about dumb stickers and marathons and the ring in here.

That frame...:psyduck:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Shifty Pony posted:

Don't visit Asheville NC then. The standard vehicle you will encounter there is a Subaru wagon with the entire rear end of the car covered by stickers, at least one of which must be a "coexist" or "critical thinking: the real national deficit" sticker.

KEEP ASHVILLE WEIRD

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000

ultimateforce posted:

I still claim me growing a beard is what made BG do it, although no way he would ever admit it.

I have the orange metallic beard life decal on the back window. I love that site, always has some of the best videos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poing
Jul 25, 2001

Gaze into my eyes...

kastein posted:

That's some Vitamin J poo poo in the front.