Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

fullroundaction posted:

The only time I use bleach is when something has been sitting in its own funk for so long that PBW/Starsan soaks don't get the job done (smell-wise or visually). Mostly blowoff tubes.

Oxyclean works quite well for that thick 1" OD tubing, it's just a bitch to get the tubing submurged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who Dat
Dec 13, 2007

:neckbeard: :woop: :downsbravo: :slick:
Thanks for steering me away. So if I just pick up some, say, Equate Povidone-Iodine from Hellmouth (my edgy as gently caress name for Walmart), that should suffice? Will it discolor my fermenting bucket?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
It will ruin everything.

Because you're getting it from Wal Mart.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Josh Wow posted:

This is one of those cases where I'd actually worry about autolysis, you don't want to let it sit on the yeast cake for a full year. Three months or so would probably be fine but I wouldn't do longer than that.

You'll find as many people saying autolysis isn't a concern in sours/brett brewing as those saying it is. So maybe it doesn't matter or maybe you should make 2 batches and report back. :black101:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Who Dat posted:

Thanks for steering me away. So if I just pick up some, say, Equate Povidone-Iodine from Hellmouth (my edgy as gently caress name for Walmart), that should suffice? Will it discolor my fermenting bucket?

Iodophor discolors pretty much all plastics if left in contact for enough time. This is partially why people use Star-San, although the discoloring will not affect the flavor of your beer.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Did I risk killing my beer when I washed out my primary bucket but didn't soak it in PBW overnight after the previous brew? It was still discolored and had a slight smell of beer in it. We'll see how the new beer turns out when I open it up tonight.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Did I risk killing my beer when I washed out my primary bucket but didn't soak it in PBW overnight after the previous brew? It was still discolored and had a slight smell of beer in it. We'll see how the new beer turns out when I open it up tonight.

PBW isn't a sanitizer. Whether you used it or not is totally irrelevant as to whether the bucket was clean. If there were actual solid bits in the fermenter that's kind of gross, though, but if you have a normal eye for when something is clean then there's no problem. I do Oxyclean soaks on Carboys because they're hard to clean otherwise. I literally don't think I have ever done a PBW soak in a plastic bucket. I just wash them out in the tub with the soft side of a regular sponge.

As for the smell of beer and discoloration, there is literally no way to remove that. You could probably soak it in the entire jar of PBW for a week and it would be discolored and smell like beer. All plastic buckets look like that.

//

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Dec 13, 2012

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Bleach (at least for me) has never failed to solve an odor issue in my plastics. I do plan on switching to Oxy from PBW like Grimace said, once I run out. PBW seems overly caustic and irritates my skin if I get splashed with it.

E: in other news, someone gave me a whole sugar cane. Any fun ideas for what I can do with this?

fullroundaction fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Dec 14, 2012

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Angry Grimace posted:

PBW isn't a sanitizer. Whether you used it or not is totally irrelevant as to whether the bucket was clean. If there were actual solid bits in the fermenter that's kind of gross, though, but if you have a normal eye for when something is clean then there's no problem. I do Oxyclean soaks on Carboys because they're hard to clean otherwise. I literally don't think I have ever done a PBW soak in a plastic bucket. I just wash them out in the tub with the soft side of a regular sponge.

As for the smell of beer and discoloration, there is literally no way to remove that. You could probably soak it in the entire jar of PBW for a week and it would be discolored and smell like beer. All plastic buckets look like that.

Yeah the bucket was completely clean, but it was still stained and discolored so that makes me feel better. Thanks!

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

Raise your hand if you bought a huge box of Oxy from Costco and found out it wasn't the odor free kind when you got home and opened it.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Well this was a pretty lovely bottling day. Have you guys had any problems with cider bottles cracking when you cap them? I had four of them (all Woodchuck Cider bottles) crack right at the stem. Is this a problem with the plastic capper that comes in the starter kit? We didn't have any issues with the last batch we did with the capper and regular beer bottles, and I didn't have breakages when I did a buttload of cider bottles with Splizwarf's metal capper, so I'm not sure what happened.

I'm also a bit worried that the beer is going to be a bit too sweet. This is the Saison de Noel recipe that I made with ingredients from the local homebrewer. It went from 1.07 to 1.012 which translates to a 7.7% ABV. It tasted okay before fermenting (I'm worried it's a bit too watery compared to the original NB recipe with the Wyeast 3711), so hopefully it'll turn out okay. No off flavors or anything like that.

Finally I dropped my hydrometer when putting it away. It was in a plastic tube with two capped ends. The bottom cap fell out and the hydrometer shattered. :(

I think the beer will be called "Shattered Saison" or something like that.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
I thought Woodchuck was twistoff? If so there's your problem right there.

Fake edit: looks like some varieties are and some aren't according to a quick Google.

Real edit: Such as http://www.flickr.com/photos/dougnolan/6697653643/

Also holy crap there are way more varieties of Woodchuck than I thought could ever possibly exist.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Yeah every bottle I have from them is the regular type, not a twist-off.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

porkface posted:

Raise your hand if you bought a huge box of Oxy from Costco and found out it wasn't the odor free kind when you got home and opened it.

I use Oxy Versatile, not the free that people recommend, and have had no issues using it for bottling, well to remove labels.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Well this was a pretty lovely bottling day. Have you guys had any problems with cider bottles cracking when you cap them? I had four of them (all Woodchuck Cider bottles) crack right at the stem. Is this a problem with the plastic capper that comes in the starter kit? We didn't have any issues with the last batch we did with the capper and regular beer bottles, and I didn't have breakages when I did a buttload of cider bottles with Splizwarf's metal capper, so I'm not sure what happened.

I'm also a bit worried that the beer is going to be a bit too sweet. This is the Saison de Noel recipe that I made with ingredients from the local homebrewer. It went from 1.07 to 1.012 which translates to a 7.7% ABV. It tasted okay before fermenting (I'm worried it's a bit too watery compared to the original NB recipe with the Wyeast 3711), so hopefully it'll turn out okay. No off flavors or anything like that.

Finally I dropped my hydrometer when putting it away. It was in a plastic tube with two capped ends. The bottom cap fell out and the hydrometer shattered. :(

I think the beer will be called "Shattered Saison" or something like that.

A wing capper only works with traditional shaped bottles and bombers. Oddly shaped bottles like Anchor Steam bottles will shatter at the neck and require a bench capper.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Angry Grimace posted:

A wing capper only works with traditional shaped bottles and bombers. Oddly shaped bottles like Anchor Steam bottles will shatter at the neck and require a bench capper.

Are cider bottles that different? Looking over them I couldn't tell any difference in the neck region. The bulge right below the crimp point is a little shorter than a regular bottle; could that have caused the problem? Should I be worried about cracks or other problems in the beer bottles that survived?

I didn't have any breaks when I did a load of batches with this metal crimper awhile ago. Was I just lucky?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Looks like a regular stubby to me. The only bottles that gave ever gave me problems were Anchor Steam, where the crown would snap off of maybe one in 50 or so bottles while capping.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!
Have you used these particular bottles before? Not just that type, I mean, but those actual bottles. I think sometimes the stress of capping and recapping weakens the glass. I've had a few bottles break, but not too many. Like withak, I know it has happened with Anchor bottles, but I'm pretty sure I've seen it on others also.

I think it's more likely in the US since we tend to recycle glass rather than reusing it, so the bottles tend to be thinner and lighter.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Jo3sh posted:

Have you used these particular bottles before? Not just that type, I mean, but those actual bottles. I think sometimes the stress of capping and recapping weakens the glass. I've had a few bottles break, but not too many. Like withak, I know it has happened with Anchor bottles, but I'm pretty sure I've seen it on others also.

I think it's more likely in the US since we tend to recycle glass rather than reusing it, so the bottles tend to be thinner and lighter.

Most of these bottles were capped at least once before, and a fair number of them were from Splizwarf so there's a good chance he bottled them before that. I guess I was just shocked that four of the 48 would do that.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I would rather go to the LHBS and buy more bottles than use a bench capper, though. Bench cappers are awful unless you have some insane desire to use weirdly shaped bottles.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

I saved Anchor bottles for a year and about 20% of them cracked on the lip either during bottling or when uncapping to drink. I lost so much cider, and ended up going with Sierra Nevada style after that and have had zero problems.

I bet a majority of us use cappers that come with starter kits. They're fine. I would find a few brands whose bottles don't break and stock up.

almost
Sep 2, 2012

almost fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Dec 15, 2013

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
It's going to taste good, you don't have to stir, there won't be any suckback unless there's a drastic change in pressure (wild temperature fluctuation) and the liquid in the airlock doesn't matter unless its literally sewer water or some other biohazard.

Only other advice is if you plan on carbonating don't use the campden tablets and don't necessarily count on 1.000FG being hit and anything else is failure.

Don't panic!

We just bottled what I call Prison Cider (jug of cider with a pack of yeast thrown in and then left in the closet) and it tastes great and was 0 effort.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

porkface posted:

I saved Anchor bottles for a year and about 20% of them cracked on the lip either during bottling or when uncapping to drink. I lost so much cider, and ended up going with Sierra Nevada style after that and have had zero problems.

I bet a majority of us use cappers that come with starter kits. They're fine. I would find a few brands whose bottles don't break and stock up.

Yeah I think I'm just going to take this as a lesson learned about avoiding Woodchuck Cider bottles. Oh well, I really liked the shape a lot.

Also paint markers are an awesome way to mark bottles.

usually
Sep 9, 2004

e

usually fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jan 6, 2013

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

fullroundaction posted:

We just bottled what I call Prison Cider (jug of cider with a pack of yeast thrown in and then left in the closet) and it tastes great and was 0 effort.

I have four bottles of fortified prison cider going now as experiments in different yeasts. Mine is the same as your except I poured off a glass of each and then topped up the jug with agave syrup (could have used honey, sugar, whatever) before adding the yeast.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

usually posted:

I do hope it turns out pretty dry though. :cheeky:

Honestly, it hard to keep this stuff from being dry. My first cider ended at 0.995. Since then, I have been trying to keep it from being TOO dry.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

Jo3sh posted:

Yup this is most likely the case, US manufacturers cut as many corners as possible when it comes to bottle construction. Bottles you buy from you LHBS are much thicker than the ones you repurpose from another brewer.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Yet another reminder for people who want to buy highly in-demand hops - full pounds of 2012 harvest Citra, Amarillo, Simcoe (and random choice new varietal Mosaic) back in stock for the next couple of hours (HBT people go crazy and buy them all instantly):

http://www.farmhousebrewingsupply.com/scripts/prodList.asp?idCategory=111

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair

Angry Grimace posted:

Yet another reminder for people who want to buy highly in-demand hops - full pounds of 2012 harvest Citra, Amarillo, Simcoe (and random choice new varietal Mosaic) back in stock for the next couple of hours (HBT people go crazy and buy them all instantly):

Those are pellets, in case anyone is wondering (since it doesn't say on the item descriptions)

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
Anyone considering wax capping their bottles, I just read this article that's informative.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Angry Grimace posted:

What about these hops make them so heavily in demand?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

RiggenBlaque posted:

Those are pellets, in case anyone is wondering (since it doesn't say on the item descriptions)
It actually does specify they're pellets, I just took a link past the point where you had the option to select pellets and whole leaf.

The entire harvest was pelletized for Amarillo, at least.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

What about these hops make them so heavily in demand?
They are American hop varietals which are pretty much synonymous with United States hop-bomb IPAS and Double IPAs. Pellets store really well, but you don't really find those varietals available in bulk very often, so I loaded up on pellets for the year. My LHBS sells all three of those varieties for like $7 for 2 oz.

Amarillo is a very popular hop that I like a lot, but you can replace it with Cascade and supposedly also Ahtanum, but I haven't used that one.

Simcoe gives off that pine-flavored characteristic; the head brewer at Ballast Point told me its irreplaceable and they just have to buy it at exorbitant spot contract prices when they run out. I tend to use a lot of Simcoe, so I did buy a couple pounds of it. Pretty much every highly regarded IPA uses Simcoe these days if you can find the recipe.

Citra is pretty unique tropical fruity, but I heavily hopped a beer with it once and the beer literally tasted like Juicy Fruit gum for about ~10 days after I transferred to keg. Citra is mostly known for being the only varietal in Zombie Dust and the dominant dry hop in SN Torpedo.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Dec 14, 2012

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

Midorka posted:

Anyone considering wax capping their bottles, I just read this article that's informative.

This is really cool and just in time for my holiday gifts! I'd imagine they really ARE a bitch to get off though with all that hot glue though.

Jo3sh posted:

I have four bottles of fortified prison cider going now as experiments in different yeasts. Mine is the same as your except I poured off a glass of each and then topped up the jug with agave syrup (could have used honey, sugar, whatever) before adding the yeast.

I want to try this, but with beer and dry hopping. Anyone play around with that before?

To clarify: brew a base batch, split it into small batches, dry hop with different single-hop varietals.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Midorka posted:

Seems like it'd be a pain to get off all the way for the next time you want to use the bottles.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

fullroundaction posted:

This is really cool and just in time for my holiday gifts! I'd imagine they really ARE a bitch to get off though with all that hot glue though.

I want to try this, but with beer and dry hopping. Anyone play around with that before?

To clarify: brew a base batch, split it into small batches, dry hop with different single-hop varietals.

Buy a six pack of Sierra Nevada, pry off the top, put in a pellet or two and then use your capper to put a cap back on. :lol:

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Seems like it'd be a pain to get off all the way for the next time you want to use the bottles.

I'd think of it more as something you'd give as a gift, but yeah getting it off for re-using would be a bitch I imagine.

Edit: What do you do when the bottle breaks? I'm guessing toss the beer and call it a loss?

Midorka fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Dec 14, 2012

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I've had problems with Founders, Firestone Walker, and Ale Asylum stubbies, but never with Sierra Nevada.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Angry Grimace posted:

I would rather go to the LHBS and buy more bottles than use a bench capper, though. Bench cappers are awful unless you have some insane desire to use weirdly shaped bottles.

What is so bad about bench cappers? I was thinking about getting one eventually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Cpt.Wacky posted:

What is so bad about bench cappers? I was thinking about getting one eventually.

One bench capper, an old cast iron antique, I'm always getting the bottle stuck in them and having to be rough to get them out. Another one is lightweight and modern I have to really tweak the handle and I'm always worried about the bottle flying across the room because it slips. My wing capper is quick and fairly effortless by comparison.