Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
i hate meatloaf
May 23, 2010
Oh man, Goblin Town looked like it must have been a blast to design! The Great Goblin's giant gross neck-fat-tumor thing was a phenomenal PJ overdesign. He must have been so happy smashing insane amounts of clay onto it's original model! :3: Oh god, how long do we have to wait for all the special features? I may love them more than the movies.

Captain von Trapp posted:

Anyway, I generally liked the film. A bit over the top at times. Some of these repeated hundred foot falls onto rock the dwarves survive about three times per act start to stretch credulity a bit.

It got completely ridiculous, but it's really the story as told by Bilbo. He's going to amp up all the action and drama to make it more exciting.

i hate meatloaf fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Dec 14, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cellophane S
Nov 14, 2004

Now you're playing with power.
How is Christopher Lee, does he look REALLY old?

Bearing in mind most of his Saruman scenes in LOTR were filmed in 1999

Cellophane S fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Dec 14, 2012

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

Cellophane S posted:

How is Christopher Lee, does he look REALLY old?

Bearing in mind most of his Saruman scenes in LOTR were filmed in 1999

Felt pretty much absolutely the same as the original trilogy to me, which is a testament to the quality of Mr. Lee and Peter's crew. They also manage to get the balance right between him appearing quite wise but with the hint that something is very very wrong deep down.

Edit: His relative lack of motion actually comes across as a very nice contrast to most of the other characters in the film. You get the feeling that this is a dude who's happy playing the long game.

J33uk fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Dec 14, 2012

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

Overture posted:

I absolutely can't stand HFR on TV's. It drives me nuts.

That's because you're watching stuff shot at a lower framerate, and the TV is interpolating and smearing the poo poo out of it. The Hobbit was filmed in 48fps and I can tell you it looks INCREDIBLE.

Where we're all used to seeing fast-moving objects get blurry in standard 24fps fare, 48fps lets you maintain detail and clarity as stuff is moving. After the initial 5-10 minutes of disorienting sensations and you figure out what you're seeing, it looks really good.

Cellophane S
Nov 14, 2004

Now you're playing with power.
Cool! He's such a great actor and by all accounts an awesome human being

it shriveled up
Jun 28, 2004

Captain von Trapp posted:

I did see in in HFR 3D..........And frame rate aside, there are a few times things seemed to slightly happen in fast motion. Not sure what that was about.
I saw it in HFR and I noticed the same thing right off the bat in the prologue. Bilbo goes reaching for something inside a chest and when he's moving stuff around in it, it looks like the speed has been upped a bit. Happens a few other times as well.

Also, one thing that is weird, is that they changed the way Bilbo finds the ring from they way it showed it in the LOTR films. Wonder why they didn't just recreate the scene with Martin.

Baron von der Loon
Feb 12, 2009

Awesome!

Den of Lies posted:

Also, one thing that is weird, is that they changed the way Bilbo finds the ring from they way it showed it in the LOTR films. Wonder why they didn't just recreate the scene with Martin.
I was wondering about that myself. The one scene that I expected a remake off, it'd be that. I suppose what we see in FotR is how Bilbo told the story or something, similar to how the Hobbit originally had a different ending to 'Riddles in the Dark'.

Speaking of recreating scenes, what were the 'Remember this from the original movie?!' scenes you guys spotted? The only one that I noticed is when Bilbo puts on the ring for the first time.

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006

Rotten rear end Joe posted:

Why don't they just do that to fly to their destination anyway?

Because he's using the LOTR strategy of stealth being the key, hell they need stealth in the gameplan as that's the whole point of having a burglar in their party.

What I loved about this film is that it really felt like a AD&D campaign. You have all these rough and ragged warriors in your party who for the most part seem very low leveled. Through the film they learn to come together and fight as a band. Compare the battle with the trolls to their battle with the waves of goblins

Where as in LOTR you have all these royalty and high dignitary fighters already established in the fellowship.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Okay so I was definitely one of those who scoffed at people complaining about the new framerate. I was like, pfft, what a buncha stone-age whiners, stuck in the old ways. Not me, I'm tech-savvy! I'm sure it'll look great, bring on the future motherfucks!

But now that I've seen it...oh god. Oh god I take it back, take the future back I'm not ready. I guess that makes me as old a fart as the people I was once accusing of being old farts, but I can live with that.

But anyway...other than that, definitely a great film. Much more humor than LotR, and rightly so. Very beautiful and enjoyable. Someone didn't like the white orc? I thought that guy look amazing!

The downside is that there was much of it that really did feel like filler to pad the plot. But, oh well, I didn't mind too much as long as it was enjoyable filler.

Baron von der Loon posted:

Speaking of recreating scenes, what were the 'Remember this from the original movie?!' scenes you guys spotted? The only one that I noticed is when Bilbo puts on the ring for the first time.
Gandalf had a ton in Bag-End. Running into the chandelier and getting angry in a shadowy storm cloud way are two I remember.

I'm actually surprised nothing in the film mentioned Gloin being Gimli's father; it's really one of those things I would've expected the film to bring up at every possible opportunity, but most of the time I didn't even notice Gloin around.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Dec 14, 2012

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

The Glumslinger posted:

I don't think it will be as disappointing as the Lakers, so atleast you have that :gbsmith:

I had slightly higher expectations for this!

Although I wasn't disappointed either. I thought it was overall good. The HFR is really something to see. The best way I can describe it is that things look more real, but they're real in the way that stuff at Disneyland rides are real. I think I could get used to it though.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Just a quick question: is Galadriel the only woman with a speaking role in this film?

rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

Emma Watson is what runs trivia teams.

iuvian posted:

Also the only good 3d since avatar.

Did you not see Prometheus? uhhh....

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Just a quick question: is Galadriel the only woman with a speaking role in this film?

I feel like these are interchangeable (the quick shots of harps for 2 seconds doesn't really count)

And also maybe one of the hobbits talking is a woman when he's running, but I don't think so.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Yup. And she's not in the book, which to my knowledge doesn't have any female characters aside from a couple of hobbits in the Shire. They did add a new female character who's supposed to help break up the sausage fest in part two.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

kyy posted:

I'm pretty sure I've read very similar sentiments by film critics from the 1920's, who thought that talking doesn't belong in film, as it destroys the actual cinematic experience.

I'll chime in here and say that in my opinion filmmaking reached it's pinnacle with 3-strip technicolor. It has been a steady downhill ever since technology-wise.

I also think color is misused in most movies, and they would be better off being shot as black & white.

Sound (recorded dialogue) too is mostly an useless addition, surely it is not needed to convey the "plot" in many instances.

Anyways nowdays it's like "everyone else is using X so we must too" and that's the reality people have to just live with :)

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

rawillkill posted:

I feel like these are interchangeable (the quick shots of harps for 2 seconds doesn't really count)

And also maybe one of the hobbits talking is a woman when he's running, but I don't think so.

I think there's a few shots of women at the beginning of the film when that town gets incinerated...

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Baron Bifford posted:

Radagast was easily the best character in the movie. I want a spinoff movie based around him. One where he fights trolls by outwitting them with the aid of his woodland friends.

I agree with this completely.

Loved the movie, will be going to see it again in 48 fps soon.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

Rotten rear end Joe posted:

Why don't they just do that to fly to their destination anyway?

Because their destination had a giant loving dragon in it. The same reason they wouldn't fly the Ring to Mordor: there were loving flying hellbeasts guarding the air. That's a difference between Morgoth and Sauron. Morgoth never had an air force, which is why he could never find Gondolin. Sauron did.

edit: Also, eagles are basically dicks. They're that friend that "helps" you move. They'll help you in a pinch, maybe carry a box of pillows, but you have to do all the heavy lifting.

rypakal fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Dec 14, 2012

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

http://londoncitynights.blogspot.co.uk/2012/12/the-hobbit-unexpected-journey-2012.html

Here's my full thoughts should anyone care. While all the performances were great, the pacing is way out. The action goes on for so long and so intensely in the last 45 minutes that you lose all sense of danger. It's like a guitar solo that keeps going on way past the point of being impressive.

Also, aesthetically the film is pretty chintzy. Rivendell looks like a Thomas Kinkade painting in the worst possible way. I prefer these films when they're more grubby and dirty, everything looked a little too clean and polished here.

Also the film suffers from a lack of women in it, especially obvious as being released in the same year as 'Brave'. Would it really hurt the narrative if some of the dwarves were women?

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

Mr. Flunchy posted:

http://londoncitynights.blogspot.co.uk/2012/12/the-hobbit-unexpected-journey-2012.html

Here's my full thoughts should anyone care. While all the performances were great, the pacing is way out. The action goes on for so long and so intensely in the last 45 minutes that you lose all sense of danger. It's like a guitar solo that keeps going on way past the point of being impressive.

Also, aesthetically the film is pretty chintzy. Rivendell looks like a Thomas Kinkade painting in the worst possible way. I prefer these films when they're more grubby and dirty, everything looked a little too clean and polished here.

Also the film suffers from a lack of women in it, especially obvious as being released in the same year as 'Brave'. Would it really hurt the narrative if some of the dwarves were women?

Trolling not appreciated even in threads with literal trolls.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Being a midnight showing, I did fall asleep a couple of times during the movie. I don't think I missed too much, but does anyone know of a scene by scene plot description somewhere just so I can check into it?

casa de mi padre
Sep 3, 2012
Black people are the real racists!

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Also the film suffers from a lack of women in it, especially obvious as being released in the same year as 'Brave'.
I agree. It's pretty unrealistic that a bunch of manly men (or dwarvely dwarves) would go on a journey for so long without the company of women. Tolkien wrote these stories as war allegory. We all know what soldiers do to relieve some stress. Where are the whores? They don't have to show a bunch of dwarves gangbanging a woman, but they could've included a nice scene with a "pleasure wench" or something.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
Bilbo is the pleasure wench, you completely missed the subtext about why he was brought along.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

casa de mi padre posted:

I agree. It's pretty unrealistic that a bunch of manly men (or dwarvely dwarves) would go on a journey for so long without the company of women. Tolkien wrote these stories as war allegory. We all know what soldiers do to relieve some stress. Where are the whores? They don't have to show a bunch of dwarves gangbanging a woman, but they could've included a nice scene with a "pleasure wench" or something.

I was always under the impression that several of the dwarves were, in fact, women. I mean, how can you tell they're not?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

casa de mi padre posted:

Didn't you know why they went to Beorn's house?

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

Nihonniboku posted:

Being a midnight showing, I did fall asleep a couple of times during the movie. I don't think I missed too much, but does anyone know of a scene by scene plot description somewhere just so I can check into it?

:confused:

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I was always under the impression that several of the dwarves were, in fact, women. I mean, how can you tell they're not?
I thought Fili and Kili made it pretty clear. I mean, they're so pretty...

Nill fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Dec 14, 2012

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
During the stone giants' battle, I wondered how the dwarves managed to stick to their ledge. They could barely keep their balance when it was still.

Because The Hobbit was a children's book, none of the dwarves died on the journey. I was a bit incredulous as to how they survived the stone giants, the trolls, the goblin caverns and the orks with no fatalities. Peter Jackson made these scenes way more dangerous in his movie.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style

Baron Bifford posted:

During the stone giants' battle, I wondered how the dwarves managed to stick to their ledge. They could barely keep their balance when it was still.

Because The Hobbit was a children's book, none of the dwarves died on the journey. I was a bit incredulous as to how they survived the stone giants, the trolls, the goblin caverns and the orks with no fatalities. Peter Jackson made these scenes way more dangerous in his movie.

Making these scenes have less peril seems kind of counterproductive though. At least he didn't do that annoying fake death thing that LotR was full of.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Because the book and the movie are completely identical? I've read the book, and understand all the basic plot points. I'm asking about the movie here.

Blenheim
Sep 22, 2010

rypakal posted:

Trolling not appreciated even in threads with literal trolls.

Not everyone's gonna be unreservedly positive about the movie. It's a waste of time to get angry at everyone who isn't.

Blenheim fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Dec 14, 2012

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Oh good, a brand new round of "But why not take the Eagles."

Because then there would be no story.
Or more importantly, because the eagles were dicks.

rypakal posted:

edit: Also, eagles are basically dicks. They're that friend that "helps" you move. They'll help you in a pinch, maybe carry a box of pillows, but you have to do all the heavy lifting.
Right, this.

Teek posted:

Bilbo is the pleasure wench, you completely missed the subtext about why he was brought along.
That's actually a common misconception due to (what was thought to be) Tolkien's poor typing skills; his first draft was explicit in that the dwarves were in need of someone "greatly skilled in buggery." It was only in later drafts that it got erroneously changed to "burglary."

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

jackpot posted:

That's actually a common misconception due to (what was thought to be) Tolkien's poor typing skills; his first draft was explicit in that the dwarves were in need of someone "greatly skilled in buggery." It was only in later drafts that it got erroneously changed to "burglary."

It's true, his feats of buggery would only be matched by his adopted nephew, Frodo "of the nine fingers".

I'll let you imagine where his tenth finger ended up.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Baron von der Loon posted:

I was wondering about that myself. The one scene that I expected a remake off, it'd be that. I suppose what we see in FotR is how Bilbo told the story or something, similar to how the Hobbit originally had a different ending to 'Riddles in the Dark'.

I think it's quite good this way... having Bilbo picking up a ring that obviously belongs to somebody else emphasises his agency in doing so and hints that the ring is already having an effect on his will.

That's how I see it at least.

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

Too stylish for this world...
Saw this today in regular 2D, enjoyed it and it was nice to be involved in Middle Earth again. One thing that has been bugging me a bit though -

In the LOTR Trilogy once Bilbo had given up the ring to Frodo he aged pretty quickly afterwards as the ring had been increasing his lifespan (although the films don't make it entirely clear how long it's been). How come when Gollum loses the ring in this film which takes place 60 years before he doesn't age a day when he is then shown in Two Towers.

I know that they probably didn't plan this at the time of making the original trilogy and that they couldn't stray from the Gollum design too much but was there ever any references in the book about it?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

charismaslover posted:

Saw this today in regular 2D, enjoyed it and it was nice to be involved in Middle Earth again. One thing that has been bugging me a bit though -

In the LOTR Trilogy once Bilbo had given up the ring to Frodo he aged pretty quickly afterwards as the ring had been increasing his lifespan (although the films don't make it entirely clear how long it's been). How come when Gollum loses the ring in this film which takes place 60 years before he doesn't age a day when he is then shown in Two Towers.

I know that they probably didn't plan this at the time of making the original trilogy and that they couldn't stray from the Gollum design too much but was there ever any references in the book about it?

Gollum had the ring for 400-500 years compared to Bilbos 60 if I remember right, he was significantly changed by that that time. Also we should assume that Gollum used the ring a whole lot more then Bilbo did.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style

charismaslover posted:

The Ring had 540 years to utterly twist Gollum into a completely different creature, essentially. When the ring is taken away, it's influence remained very strong still because it had essentially completely taken over him.

With Bilbo, the Ring had not had the time to hold much of a sway on him, so it's influence dissapeared fairly quickly.

I think.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

charismaslover posted:

Because Gollum had the ring for a lot longer than Bilbo, so the anti-ageing effects were more pronounced on him. But he does seem a bit younger in The Hobbit, he has a few strands of hair which I don't remember him having in the LOTR films.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

charismaslover posted:

We spoil the weirdest things in this thread.

Anyway, Bilbo began to age when he gave up the ring. He mostly turned his thought away from it. Gollum never gave up the ring, it was taken from him, and his thought was always bent on it. I think he would have gone on for quite a while before eventually becoming wraithified. Once the ring was destroyed, Bilbo aged even quicker, so that he looked his proper ancient self at the end.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

marktheando posted:

Because Gollum had the ring for a lot longer than Bilbo, so the anti-ageing effects were more pronounced on him. But he does seem a bit younger in The Hobbit, he has a few strands of hair which I don't remember him having in the LOTR films.

He does have them, a lot less then what Hobbit Gollum I've seen from the trailers, but the wisps of hair are there.

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.
There is a new production blog up on PJ's facebook.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151375756696807

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

If you go see this today and a trailer starts for a movie about a teen witch with Emmy Rossum in it, close your eyes and hum or something because it looks like the biggest shitfest ever and I'm still angry that I'll never get those 2 minutes of my life back.

• Locked thread