Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

blackswordca posted:

Thats not what I was told by telus when I tried to switch to Teksavvy last year. Last year all Telus would give them is 6/1 and personally I never saw anything above 3.

Well Telus is lying to you then. I can't give you specifics as I had to sign an NDA but wholesale offerings are up to 25Mb/s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TealShark
Mar 22, 2004

I shall duck behind that little garbage car.
Here's some good news amongst a sea of poo poo:

If you live in New Brunswick, Rogers just changed their Extreme internet package from 25/1 with a 120 GB cap for $62 to 30/10 with a 500 GB cap for $52.

Looks like the competition with Bell Aliant's FiberOp is picking up.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

quaint bucket posted:

I'm waiting for the day that all the companies will require customers to install coin operated modems in order to use the internet. :smugdog:

Don't give them ideas.

Also, all this discussion of internet plans in other parts of the country give me a serious case of the :smith:.

My only option for internet is this.

Wistful of Dollars fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Dec 7, 2012

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I've been on Bell's Fibe 25 for a while now after getting the 3 months free thing from Dell and a 50% discount for 12 months (so $44 after tax). Of course the discount ended and they didn't bother to remind me or put a note on my bill or anything. I called to see if they have anything remotely competitive to offer and the best they could do was bump me down to a lower tier for a mere $9 increase in my bill. Not only that but I asked if I could change my service now to avoid having to pay the full price next month and they said sure... the speed would change in a few days but it would take another billing cycle for the price to be updated :rolleye:.

In conclusion: gently caress off Bell. I'll probably take a similar Rogers promotion now since it's still cheaper than Teksavvy and quit after 6-12 months. As much as I appreciated the exceptional customer service script factoids ("best internet in Canada! Most secure! Faster service than Rogers! Did you know you get your own dedicated line, unlike cable? Aren't you sad to be leaving us? Isn't it inconvenient to switch?"), they have just as little interest in retaining customers as Rogers.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Dec 7, 2012

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

thexerox123 posted:

I've wondered why this is... Rogers here offers up to 100, but Teksavvy only offers up to 25 on Rogers' lines. Why is this? I also thought that they were supposed to have access to access of equal quality?

Right now Teksavvy uses the various discrete POI points throughout Rogers cable network. Rogers has argued successfully to the CRTC that third parties should not receive the speed matching until they move to Rogers new centralized POI system. Since Teksavvy has outlaid millions of dollars into the current POI infrastructure this is a big deal for them and may cost them a lot of money to make the switch.

They're also arguing that these packages are now somehow different and not the same internet packages as before and want a price increase to the wholesalers. They literally just changed the product codes for their package lineups in their internal system and then walked over to the CRTC to ask for more money.

Long story short Rogers is horrible as usual and doing everything in their power to twist or outright ignore the CRTC's decisions. The CRTC is responding by rolling over and being ineffective.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

8ender posted:

Right now Teksavvy uses the various discrete POI points throughout Rogers cable network. Rogers has argued successfully to the CRTC that third parties should not receive the speed matching until they move to Rogers new centralized POI system. Since Teksavvy has outlaid millions of dollars into the current POI infrastructure this is a big deal for them and may cost them a lot of money to make the switch.

They're also arguing that these packages are now somehow different and not the same internet packages as before and want a price increase to the wholesalers. They literally just changed the product codes for their package lineups in their internal system and then walked over to the CRTC to ask for more money.

Long story short Rogers is horrible as usual and doing everything in their power to twist or outright ignore the CRTC's decisions. The CRTC is responding by rolling over and being ineffective.

I contacted Rogers to ask about it, and the representative that I was speaking to had no idea what I was talking about and said that it was something that I'd have to take up with TekSavvy. (Which isn't true, my complaint was firmly lodged at them and rightly so... I suppose I could try to find something more along the lines of Rogers corporate rather than customer service.) So, I also emailed the CRTC and TekSavvy to ask about it.

Only an automated receipt of email from the CRTC so far, but TekSavvy responded:

quote:

Thank you for your inquiry, we working to have speeds increased but unfortunately we do not have an ETA on when these speeds to available to us at this time.

Thank you

Which is just painfully short on details. I don't expect much better from the CRTC, but it's interesting to see what responses I get.

Also, it's worth noting that Rogers advertises speeds of 250/250 in select regions, now. And more commonly, 35 and 45 down. So anywhere from 10 mbps more to 10x the mbps more than TekSavvy's top speeds on their lines.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

thexerox123 posted:

Also, it's worth noting that Rogers advertises speeds of 250/250 in select regions, now. And more commonly, 35 and 45 down. So anywhere from 10 mbps more to 10x the mbps more than TekSavvy's top speeds on their lines.

The Rogers cable network afaik is a cobbled together hack job of old and new and thats one of the reasons its taken them this long just to increase the upload speeds in Ontario. They're tearing through the infrastructure doing upgrades but its a slow area by area process so they end up offering different speeds sometimes.

Other times its just Rogers reacting to a competitor with faster speeds like Optik or Aliant's Fibre thing.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Also if anyone is interested in reading more of what the hell is going on with the Rogers cable speed bumps, aggregated POIs, increased tariffs, etc see below for a nice summary of the CRTC activity:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9038867/Rogers/CRTC.html

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Soooo.....did anyone here get a notice from TekSavvy? I'm surprised this thread isn't talking about the Voltage Pictures ISP cherry picking.

A c E
Jun 18, 2007

Is this weird? Is this too weird? Do you need to sit down?
I read about it, but I'd be interested in know what kind of money they are trying to extort.
So glad these "lawsuits" have come to Canada...

On the plus, TekSavvy seems to be trying to do the right thing and prevent them but it doesn't look overly promising.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

A c E posted:

I read about it, but I'd be interested in know what kind of money they are trying to extort.
So glad these "lawsuits" have come to Canada...

On the plus, TekSavvy seems to be trying to do the right thing and prevent them but it doesn't look overly promising.

It's only the right thing in that companies should need to receive court-mandated turnover for the addresses. If the people infringed, well, they did.

At least in Canada it seems like judges have a whole lot of leeway in determining actual damages - they can charge as little as $100, and it's capped at $5k.

Frog
May 25, 2006
Ribbit

mediaphage posted:

It's only the right thing in that companies should need to receive court-mandated turnover for the addresses. If the people infringed, well, they did.

At least in Canada it seems like judges have a whole lot of leeway in determining actual damages - they can charge as little as $100, and it's capped at $5k.

That just encourages more of the "pay us $5k or we take you to court and cost you more than $5k to defend yourself against our baseless accusations" type of lawsuits. The number is set low enough that it won't catch media attention like some grandma being sued for a quarter of a million will, as well.

Binton
Jun 23, 2004
I am here, eating pie, with a fork.

Frog posted:

That just encourages more of the "pay us $5k or we take you to court and cost you more than $5k to defend yourself against our baseless accusations" type of lawsuits. The number is set low enough that it won't catch media attention like some grandma being sued for a quarter of a million will, as well.
True, although it will also cost the company suing the person more than they will get back in punitive damages so it will probably mitigate the amount of lawsuits filed. But there will probably be some companies that do it to make an example of some people.

It will be interesting to see how this all plays out in the end. I guess the law has guidelines in it for judges to award damageson the lower side of the limits, for the general public. So potentially companies would only be suing people for $200. I think if few of those awards get handed out they'll think twice about suing people.

Opioid
Jul 3, 2008

<3 Blood Type ARRRRR
How can they counter against the 'my wifi router isn't password protected, it wasn't me downloading that movie from this IP' argument? That raises reasonable doubt and therefore shouldn't be convicted of the crime right?

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

Opioid posted:

How can they counter against the 'my wifi router isn't password protected, it wasn't me downloading that movie from this IP' argument? That raises reasonable doubt and therefore shouldn't be convicted of the crime right?

Most stories I've heard are "stiff, if you don't take the time to add security to your wireless, your problem"

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
What about a MAC address in the access logs that doesn't match the user's devices? Is that doubt reasonable enough?

Wax On
Mar 22, 2007

drop a bat beat
I tried to see if my IP is on their magical list but the list is not showing up when I follow the link in the Teksavvy e-mail. Does anyone have access or does this mean I have nothing to worry about?

This article made me feel a bit better but I'm not as knowledgeable as I'd like to be on the subject: Vice - Are Canadians About to be Prosecuted for File Sharing?

\/\/\/ That's what I figured, thanks for the reassurance!

Wax On fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Dec 13, 2012

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Wax On posted:

I tried to see if my IP is on their magical list but the list is not showing up when I follow the link in the Teksavvy e-mail. Does anyone have access or does this mean I have nothing to worry about?

This article made me feel a bit better but I'm not as knowledgeable as I'd like to be on the subject: Vice - Are Canadians About to be Prosecuted for File Sharing?

Welp, for the moment, did bittorrent the hurt locker or one of those other crappy movies? If not, then you're fine.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Teksavvy sent out a mass e-mail to everyone today to reassure people. If your IP is on any kind of list TS would have let you know.

e: They only sent out e-mails to those who had an IP that was named. Today's e-mail was because everyone was doing the same thing, worrying.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

Migishu posted:

Most stories I've heard are "stiff, if you don't take the time to add security to your wireless, your problem"

Have we had cases like this in Canada yet? I especially like the part in the letter where they specifically tell you not to delete any infringing files from your hard drive because they will do a forensic analysis as if they are going to spend the time and resources to get the RCMP to check out your computer, a task that they are woefully ill equipped for even in criminal cases.

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
Deleting the files and re-zeroing deleted sectors will pretty much remove the evidence for good. There's no way an organization would be able to justify spending the money and resources required in order to read the platters magnetically, sector-by-sector, at that point to 'recover' zeroed blocks (and even then, the rate of success is probably not a guarantee). It would take way too long and cost far too much for it to be worth it at all over some movie/music files.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

ZShakespeare posted:

Have we had cases like this in Canada yet? I especially like the part in the letter where they specifically tell you not to delete any infringing files from your hard drive because they will do a forensic analysis as if they are going to spend the time and resources to get the RCMP to check out your computer, a task that they are woefully ill equipped for even in criminal cases.

It's funny because some of those movies are pretty old, and deleting them wouldn't even be a case of "oh man I got caught with an illegal file" and more like "welp I've seen this and I need hard drive space"

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
Winner of January '10 Lux Aeterna "Best 2010 Poster" Award
Even if your Router is password protected, it does not take much effort nowadays to crack a simple WEP-encrypted key and access someone's BELL123 wireless network. Unless these specific routers are manually logging each MAC address that uses its bandwidth and set to only accept cetain MAC addresses so that one could use that in their defence.

Heck, the last time I left Union station heading East, I was able to pick up 8 wireless access points with my flimsy laptop antennea that had no encryption whatsoever. Seems that WPA2 is still rather rare.

I mean, what's to stop someone from building a more powerful wireless receiver / antennae in the 2.4 - 5 gzh band, pointing it at a condo suite, and gorging themselves like a tapeworm in Rob Ford's intestines on the delicious, sweet free bandwidth?

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Seems like you could just have a separate torrent box then format an ghost it every month after copying your files to a flash drive.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

Kachunkachunk posted:

Deleting the files and re-zeroing deleted sectors will pretty much remove the evidence for good. There's no way an organization would be able to justify spending the money and resources required in order to read the platters magnetically, sector-by-sector, at that point to 'recover' zeroed blocks (and even then, the rate of success is probably not a guarantee). It would take way too long and cost far too much for it to be worth it at all over some movie/music files.

I wasn't even thinking that far. I mean even if your average non-technical user just straight up deletes the file, no one is going to take the time and expense to try and recover them even if the data wasn't overwritten.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

In all likelihood, they'd be proceeding with civil charges as opposed to criminal. IANAL, but I'm pretty sure your computer's current contents aren't going to be considered and can't be confiscated.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

cowofwar posted:

Seems like you could just have a separate torrent box then format an ghost it every month after copying your files to a flash drive.

You don't even need to format it, a good defrag will probably overwrite most of the file, especially if it's something big like a movie.

I wonder if anyone wrote a fragmentation program, so you can scatter the file across the disk.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!

Guigui posted:

Even if your Router is password protected, it does not take much effort nowadays to crack a simple WEP-encrypted key and access someone's BELL123 wireless network. Unless these specific routers are manually logging each MAC address that uses its bandwidth and set to only accept cetain MAC addresses so that one could use that in their defence.

Heck, the last time I left Union station heading East, I was able to pick up 8 wireless access points with my flimsy laptop antennea that had no encryption whatsoever. Seems that WPA2 is still rather rare.

I mean, what's to stop someone from building a more powerful wireless receiver / antennae in the 2.4 - 5 gzh band, pointing it at a condo suite, and gorging themselves like a tapeworm in Rob Ford's intestines on the delicious, sweet free bandwidth?

You don't even need to build a powerful receiver. a Pringles Cantenna will to get wifi signal at a decent range, though it is more directional

blackswordca fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Dec 14, 2012

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
Winner of January '10 Lux Aeterna "Best 2010 Poster" Award

blackswordca posted:

You don't even need to build a powerful receiver. a Pringles Cantenna will to get wifi signal at a decent range, though it is more directional

I was thinking it would be fun, as a pet project, to build a large wi-fi antenna in our attic and see how many signals I could capture, seeing as I already have the wiring and conduits up there for my HDTV antennae.

I seem to remember reading an article someplace about how some university experiemental antenna in the US could pick up signals located in New York over 400 km away; or something to that effect.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

I live in Newfoundland and we have 50mbps down 25 up with unlimited usage from Bell. Seems strange that in such a rural spot we would have better service than Toronto (runs me about 75 dollars a month).

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
Long range wi-fi is pretty fun stuff if you have like-minded friends with good line of sight between each other. Thing is, if you built yourself a great receiver, you still need to be able to transmit back (well, if you want to do more than listen). I wonder how that part is DIY'ed well.

ComputerNinja
Aug 8, 2003
What?
Pork Pro
Well, just called Telus to cancel my home phone and most of my TV packages, and asked for a discount for the upcoming halving of bandwidth in January. She was kind of rude and told me that if I actually read the terms of service, they can change their packages at any time and if I get a discount, then everyone has to get one, and they can't have that.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

ComputerNinja posted:

Well, just called Telus to cancel my home phone and most of my TV packages, and asked for a discount for the upcoming halving of bandwidth in January. She was kind of rude and told me that if I actually read the terms of service, they can change their packages at any time and if I get a discount, then everyone has to get one, and they can't have that.

Did you ask if they also have to half everybody else's bandwidth? What nonsense.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

ComputerNinja posted:

if I actually read the terms of service

The ones that wouldn't stand up in court if you sued them? Why exactly are you still entertaining them and not switching to Teksavvy, which while far from perfect, at least doesn't actively poo poo on its customers like this?

ComputerNinja
Aug 8, 2003
What?
Pork Pro
I still have 13 months on the stupid TV contract. I looked at Teksavvy for internet, and it appears to be the exact same price. Without phone service, would I be paying the dry-loop charge with them?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Did they tell you what the penalty is for ending the contract early? I'm curious about doing that myself and just going back to Shaw. I can get much faster speed with a higher cap for a bit more (Optik Turbo is unavailable in my area).

ComputerNinja
Aug 8, 2003
What?
Pork Pro
It's $10/mo.

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
You do pay the dry loop fees with Teksavvy, and it can vary.
Folks like Acanac tend to flat-rate that, so it's something to consider.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
It's around $12/mo for Dry Loop in the GVRD, including Coquitlam etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

univbee posted:

The ones that wouldn't stand up in court if you sued them? Why exactly are you still entertaining them and not switching to Teksavvy, which while far from perfect, at least doesn't actively poo poo on its customers like this?

By "court" do you mean the office of the arbitrator of their choosing?