Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Nuggan posted:

There is a new production blog up on PJ's facebook.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151375756696807

That is really cool and nice and heartwarming. Also I can't believe Peter Jackson's daughter there is the same little kid from FOTR it's not been that long right? ...right? poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.

sportsgenius86 posted:

If you go see this today and a trailer starts for a movie about a teen witch with Emmy Rossum in it, close your eyes and hum or something because it looks like the biggest shitfest ever and I'm still angry that I'll never get those 2 minutes of my life back.

When this happened in our theater, about 20 seconds into it an usher came in and signaled the projectionist to kill the audio, like she was about to make an announcement. When the sound was turned off she said "I'm just going to stand here for a minute and act like I'm telling you something important, because I don't want you to have to deal with this." She stayed there until the preview was over, then left.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Nuggan posted:

When this happened in our theater, about 20 seconds into it an usher came in and signaled the projectionist to kill the audio, like she was about to make an announcement. When the sound was turned off she said "I'm just going to stand here for a minute and act like I'm telling you something important, because I don't want you to have to deal with this." She stayed there until the preview was over, then left.

Seriously, buy her a Christmas gift.

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

Our showing never bothered to turn on the theater speakers until that trailer was largely over. They were even nice enough to keep the 'advertisement projector' running over the top of it to save our eyes as well.

MANIFEST DESTINY
Apr 24, 2009

Wow I'm really curious to see this trailer now...seeing as many movies in the theater as I do I've been tormented by a lot of bad ones in my life but never has a theater considered one so bad that they shielded the audience.

edit: Found it, have already seen that one. I mean its bad but come on there have been way worse trailers in the last few years. Maybe the one I found online differs from the theatrical though.

MANIFEST DESTINY fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Dec 14, 2012

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Yes the discussion here also made me curious enough to watch a bad trailer, so thanks for that guys. I got up to the bit where she says 'we prefer the term casters' before I closed the tab.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

sportsgenius86 posted:

If you go see this today and a trailer starts for a movie about a teen witch with Emmy Rossum in it, close your eyes and hum or something because it looks like the biggest shitfest ever and I'm still angry that I'll never get those 2 minutes of my life back.
Because you loved it so much the first time...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9rjhB7KWEc
:allears:

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

Dolphin posted:

Oh my, Emma Thompson on drugs!

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

That is a pretty lame trailer but I've seen far worse.
Emmy Rossum needs to get better gigs.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Okay, I'm actually a bit confused as how Gandalf knew Bilbo in the movie.

Gandalf met Bilbo when Bilbo was a kid and Bilbo doesn't remember. Yet Bilbo somehow impressed Gandalf enough that he remembered him decades later when Thorin's company needed a thief?

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
I've read all about the 48fps here and I'm still seeing it that way, but I haven't seen anyone talk about Dolby Atmos yet. Anyone have anything to say about how awesome it is? I saw Brave in Atmos and I wasn't even aware of what it was at the time, but wow all the discreet channels were amazing.

BobTheSpy
Feb 12, 2012

Echo Chamber posted:

Gandalf met Bilbo when Bilbo was a kid and Bilbo doesn't remember. Yet Bilbo somehow impressed Gandalf enough that he remembered him decades later when Thorin's company needed a thief?

Uh... yes. Actually, you've got it exactly right. What are you confused about?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Echo Chamber posted:

Gandalf was impressed by Bilbo's mother, Belladonna Took.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Riddles in the Dark was absolutely perfect. That's really all I wanted from this movie.

Eararaldor
Jul 30, 2007
Fanboys, ruining gaming since the 1980's
Saw this film yesterday. GF and I both loved it. Really enjoyed the use of 48 frames and I honestly do not see what the fuss is all about with the haters.

Also anyone remember the amount of people saying why don't the Eagles take the Ring to Mordor in LOTR? (probably everyone) We both joked about why the Eagles could've just fly the party to Mount Erebor in this .

Eararaldor fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Dec 14, 2012

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.
Saw it at midnight in HFR 3D, did not regret that decision.

I don't remember the Pale Orc from the book (could be wrong, it's been some time since I read it) and I don't like the inclusion of him and his stupid white warg. He just seemed like an extra enemy shoehorned in to give the audience a big dramatic fight scene, and I feel like that detracts from the build up for Smaug/the Necromancer. Plus his entire characterization is just unsubtle evil, and I think they already had that covered with the goblins. That being said though, I was whooping with everyone else when Bilbo tackled him, so clearly it worked on some level. :shobon:

I was looking forward to the troll and goblin army scenes the most, and was not disappointed. The troll scene was as lighthearted and clever as I remember from the books, but I don't remember that Gandalf saved them? I thought Bilbo just kept them talking until the sun came up and they were caught out. Either way, it was a good scene. The goblin city scenes captured my childhood fears perfectly, with the shrieking, pale, horrible, roiling mass of goblins clambering all over the rickety pathways and honeycomb-like structures, and how primitive and insect-like they are in comparison to the orcs of the LOTR films. HFR 3D really was the best way to see that scene.

And I agree: Riddles in the Dark did not disappoint.

Captain Foxy fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Dec 14, 2012

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Captain Foxy posted:

I don't remember the Pale Orc from the book (could be wrong, it's been some time since I read it) and I don't like the inclusion of him and his stupid white warg. He just seemed like an extra enemy shoehorned in to give the audience a big dramatic fight scene, and I feel like that detracts from the build up for Smaug/the Necromancer. Plus his entire characterization is just unsubtle evil, and I think they already had that covered with the goblins. That being said though, I was whooping with everyone else when Bilbo tackled him, so clearly it worked on some level. :shobon:

I was looking forward to the troll and goblin army scenes the most, and was not disappointed. The troll scene was as lighthearted and clever as I remember from the books, but I don't remember that Gandalf saved them? I thought Bilbo just kept them talking until the sun came up and they were caught out. Either way, it was a good scene. The goblin city scenes captured my childhood fears perfectly, with the shrieking, pale, horrible, roiling mass of goblins clambering all over the rickety pathways and honeycomb-like structures, and how primitive and insect-like they are in comparison to the orcs of the LOTR films. HFR 3D really was the best way to see that scene.

Azog exists in the lore, technically, but he was not present in the Hobbit. In the REAL chronology he kills Thror 200 years before the events of the Hobbit, and then is slain in retaliation by Thorin and Thrain in the battle for Moria which we witnessed in the prologue.

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.

Captain Foxy posted:

In the book, with the trolls, Gandalf saves them by mimicking the trolls's voices and causing confusion to make an argument until the sun comes up.

MortonTheCranium
Nov 25, 2004

We're cousins. (bros)

Nuggan posted:

In the book, with the trolls, Gandalf saves them by mimicking the trolls's voices and causing confusion to make an argument until the sun comes up.

I actually like the change. It boosts Bilbo's usefulness in the party early on, so it doesn't seem like he's just a hanger-on, but can bring some cleverness to the party.

gwarm01
Apr 27, 2010

It makes me sad that dwarves always seem to lose their kingdoms.

Anyway, my theater didn't hand out posters. I'm going back this weekend for 48 fps so hopefully that theatrr will have some.

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.

MortonTheCranium posted:

I actually like the change. It boosts Bilbo's usefulness in the party early on, so it doesn't seem like he's just a hanger-on, but can bring some cleverness to the party.

I agree, I liked what they did with this. I also like the changes made to the parts with Bilbo fighting the orc when they were in the trees but I worry how it will affect the impact of a part of the 2nd movie. Bilbo fighting the spiders probably wont have the same impact, since we've already seen him stand up to defend the dwarves.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
Saw it in HFR 3D.

The 48 fps technology didn't disappoint. The first 20 minutes did feel quite weird, as if the projectionist had the movie on fast forward. The awkwardness lasted to some extent for the rest of the film, but for that I'm not blaming 48 fps, but 48 fps along with 3D. I'm confident it's the two technologies together that causes weirdness for many people. The higher framerate itself paid off handsomely in action scenes, which were able to use camera paths never before attempted in film. The 48 fps, non-3D Bluray will look fantastic, mark my words.

The movie itself was a disappointment. PJ and his wife are not great screenwriters; it was overshadowed by cool things in LOTR trilogy, but here it's evident. "Hobbit" was one of my favorite books as a child, I wouldn't have believed I'd feel bored several times while watching a big budget movie adaptation. I did love Martin Freeman as Bilbo, he and Ian McKellen saved the movie from sinking dangerously low.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Rime posted:

Azog exists in the lore, technically, but he was not present in the Hobbit. In the REAL chronology he kills Thror 200 years before the events of the Hobbit, and then is slain in retaliation by Thorin and Thrain in the battle for Moria which we witnessed in the prologue.

Nuggan posted:

In the book, with the trolls, Gandalf saves them by mimicking the trolls's voices and causing confusion to make an argument until the sun comes up

Thanks for the clarifications. I think I need to go dig out my old copy, but it just won't be the same without my dad doing the 'creepy goblin king' voice!

Azog's characterization left something lacking for me, but I did appreciate what that allowed for Bilbo's character. I can understand why they'd want to give Thorin a 'nemesis' and it does allow for more exposure to the development of the encroaching evil elements.

Still, definitely more excited to see Bilbo fight the Mirkwood spiders in the second movie.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

charismaslover posted:

Saw this today in regular 2D, enjoyed it and it was nice to be involved in Middle Earth again. One thing that has been bugging me a bit though -

In the LOTR Trilogy once Bilbo had given up the ring to Frodo he aged pretty quickly afterwards as the ring had been increasing his lifespan (although the films don't make it entirely clear how long it's been). How come when Gollum loses the ring in this film which takes place 60 years before he doesn't age a day when he is then shown in Two Towers.

I know that they probably didn't plan this at the time of making the original trilogy and that they couldn't stray from the Gollum design too much but was there ever any references in the book about it?

In the book, Bilbo doesn't age rapidly. 17 years pass between the time he leaves the ring to Frodo, and Frodo sets out on his journey, so Bilbo essentially ages 17 years. In the movie, less time passes so I always thought it strange that he aged so rapidly and Gollum didn't. But like others have said, Gollum had the ring for far longer, and like the ringwraiths, had been permanently changed by it.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

gwarm01 posted:

It makes me sad that dwarves always seem to lose their kingdoms.

Anyway, my theater didn't hand out posters. I'm going back this weekend for 48 fps so hopefully that theatrr will have some.

The dwarves always lose their kingdoms because they're based on the Jews.
I think in Tolkien's timeline they've lost about half a dozen capital cities/major kingdoms.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
Holy gently caress Christopher Lee is ninety years old IRL.

rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

Emma Watson is what runs trivia teams.

gwarm01 posted:

This was an IMAX midnight only thing, so if you went to another format you wouldn't have gotten them.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

This felt very by-the-numbers. Good visuals, great sound design, and I even liked the thick cartoony accents all the normally dumb monsters had. But man, whose idea was it to stretch the book into three movies? The Hobbit is my favorite fantasy adventure story because it's the Hero's Journey consolidated. There's not enough story to stretch out for this long and while I wasn't bored I certainly wasn't interested in the necromancer or the white orc or Radagast and his CGI hedgehogs.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Just shut up Peter!

http://news.moviefone.com/2012/12/11/the-hobbit-unscripted-peter-jackson_n_2277672.html?ncid=edlinkusaolp00000003

~3:30 he starts going on about how he can't commit to it only being 3 films anymore.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM
Jesus, 65% on RT. Is this movie really that bad?

I just want more LOTR. I'm not overly nitpicky, but at the same time, I won't like a turd like Prometheus just because I desperately want to like it.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
Man, Google lied to me and said one of my local theaters was showing it in HFR. =( This was not the case.

BobTheSpy
Feb 12, 2012

oswald ownenstein posted:

I just want more LOTR. I'm not overly nitpicky, but at the same time, I won't like a turd like Prometheus just because I desperately want to like it.

No, it's not. I have no idea what the critics are complaining about, honestly. This movie has really shaken my faith in RottenTomatoes being able to determine whether a movie is "good" or not, because loving Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull has a higher score than this, and trust me, The Hobbit is a far better movie than Crystal Skull.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

It's cool to hate.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

Just ignore the negative reviews. The movie's fantastic.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

Really, only 65%? That seems too low for me, but I'm still in the honeymoon afterglow stage. I'll have to re-assess once I see it again because clearly I'm gonna see it again

Schizotek posted:

The dwarves always lose their kingdoms because they're based on the Jews.
I think in Tolkien's timeline they've lost about half a dozen capital cities/major kingdoms.

I would say that I'm disappointed in my ethnicity/religion being depicted as a race consisting entirely of short, bearded men, but then I would have to pretend I've never been inside a synagogue.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BobTheSpy posted:

No, it's not. I have no idea what the critics are complaining about, honestly. This movie has really shaken my faith in RottenTomatoes being able to determine whether a movie is "good" or not, because loving Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull has a higher score than this, and trust me, The Hobbit is a far better movie than Crystal Skull.
If you pay attention to what the reviewers are saying, most complain that the movie drags on too long--I don't really see any problems mentioned with the plot, acting, or dialogue. People are just complaining about the slow pace. If you're a fan of the Hobbit though, it seems to me that you'd be excited that the film takes its time, so different strokes I guess. With that said I haven't seen the film yet so I could be off base.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Here's the top rotten review on RT:

quote:

My first thought in watching “The Hobbit” was: Do we really need this movie? It was my last thought, too. Having powered his way through the “Lord of the Rings” trilogy, which had its occasional majesties, director Peter Jackson now feels compelled to give us this prequel, based on the Tolkien novel that spawned the cult I never joined.

Whether this makes me the best or the worst judge of this movie I leave to others to decide. But I must confess that by the time the last of the “Rings” movies wrapped, I had had quite enough of orcs and dwarves and rings and Gandalf and Middle-earth. I even had my fill of Gollum. And so, wouldn’t you know, all of that and more – though with less effect – is present and accounted for in “The Hobbit,” which tells of the troll-infested exploits of hobbit Bilbo Baggins (Martin Freeman) in Middle-earth.

As a further lure, Jackson has even fashioned this CG-heavy film in 3-D and shot it digitally at 48 frames per second instead of the usual 24 f.p.s. (A 2-D, 24-f.p.s. version is also being screened.) Among other things, this supposedly enhances the clarity of the imagery, although why expend all that energy on imagery that isn’t inherently awesome to begin with? And did I mention that Tolkien’s novel is going to spawn two sequels? I suppose we should be thankful that Hollywood is trilogy-crazy these days and not quartet- or quintet-mad. Grade: C+ (Rated PG-13 for extended sequences of intense fantasy action violence, and frightening images.)

As you can see, if "I just want more LOTR" is your motivation you should be ok.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Dolphin posted:

It looks infinitely times better than The Host
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRKjf8b4f2E

gohmak fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Dec 14, 2012

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

BobTheSpy posted:

Rotten Tomatoes has never been useful for determining if a movie is any good. An ok movie everyone agrees is fairly decent is going to get a high RT rating, a great movie that divides critics is going to get a poo poo rating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
Movie seems polarizing and mostly based around 48fps complaints? I'm still going to see it in 48 FPS anyway. I've been playing computer games for years, my body is ready.

• Locked thread