Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Kill-9 posted:

He's constantly fighting with the HOA to be able to keep it in his driveway against the 'No commercial vehicles in driveways' rule.
It never was a commercial vehicle, either. The exact wording of their rules should probably hamstring them nicely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

Man I really hope this gooses hydrogen development as a fuel. The most abundant element in the universe and the only waste product is water vapor? Yes please.

From what I understand, the methods of producing hydrogen currently aren't sustainable. This means it currently requires more than a BTU to make a BTU's worth of hydrogen and bring it to market. This includes generating it, compressing it, and transporting it. There is a similar issue with corn based ethanol. But the United States likes corn so much they do it anyway. :downs:

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
This '47 Cadillac, right here, is AI as gently caress:

In case you can't read the sign, says "PLATFORM FOR CHANGING TIRES WHILE CAR IS IN MOTION." Dude had a whiskey dispenser mounted in the car, too. And pretty much everything else.

grover fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Dec 14, 2012

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
How would you get the wheel off?

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

ultimateforce posted:

How would you get the wheel off?
With an impact wrench, of course!

There's a wheeled jack under the car that lifts the wheel off the ground; let them set world records for non-stop endurance driving from California to NYC and back to California without ever stopping, and then later Alaska to Mexico City, without stopping. One guy would shimmy out on a retractable running board, while another climbs on the hood and sets up the plywood platform on the wheel that needs changing. The guy on the hood then climbs down to the plywood and changes the tire just like you normally would, only the car is still moving at 25mph. They refueled in a similar fashion. Safety was apparently not much of a concern.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yT8azxnVAC4&t=390s

grover fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Dec 14, 2012

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
That is pretty badass.

You could do it nowadays without ever changing the tire, though. I guess that takes out some of the heroism. :sigh:

I would've put two platforms, one on each side, with a sliding rail the length of the car like on an early Caravan. Then you don't need hood guy if you have a tire guy on each side of the car and a rope connected to the platforms.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

grover posted:

This '47 Cadillac, right here, is AI as gently caress:

In case you can't read the sign, says "PLATFORM FOR CHANGING TIRES WHILE CAR IS IN MOTION." Dude had a whiskey dispenser mounted in the car, too. And pretty much everything else.

I remember seeing that car on "That's Incredible!" (or some other '80's TV show) when I was a kid.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Powershift posted:

You are right. Gasoline is as volatile as hydrogen. What was I thinking.

Hydrogen is a dumb choice for dumb people. You still need new production facilities, a new supply chain. Large amounts of storage for it within residential neighborhoods. Idiots will still smoke while refueling and Blow themselves up, and you will have to refuel twice as often.

Battery tech is progressing and electric and extended range hybrids are the right answer. Then you don't need an electricity truck delivering explosive electricity into large tanks under the local electricity station in the middle of the suburbs. Transmission lines would need to be upgraded for it to become a large scale reality but that isn't an unreasonable investment and will never go to waste.

fear from ignorance is what I'm seeing here. You've got natural gas piped to every home, every high-rise, everywhere, and that only flattens a few houses a year. Nobody is saying "get rid of natural gas! It is a frightful menace!" Petrol trucks deliver petroleum to petrol stations and how many of those blow up? How about the massive propane tanks for filling your BBQ tank etc. at gas stations. Ever seen a propane explosion? Your BBQ tank alone could take out half your house. Nobody bats an eye at those though. So why so afraid of hydrogen? It's just another fuel, and properly handled with technology designed for it, what is the problem? The GreenGT guys aren't even burning it, they're using it in an electrolitic fuel cell arrangement to produce electricity to drive an electric motor, because battery tech can't cope with a full electric endurance race.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
No-one worries about oxy-acetylene welding sets much either, and those things pack a punch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUmLe9WCXX0

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

InitialDave posted:

oxy-acetylene

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Linedance posted:

fear from ignorance is what I'm seeing here. You've got natural gas piped to every home, every high-rise, everywhere, and that only flattens a few houses a year. Nobody is saying "get rid of natural gas! It is a frightful menace!" Petrol trucks deliver petroleum to petrol stations and how many of those blow up? How about the massive propane tanks for filling your BBQ tank etc. at gas stations. Ever seen a propane explosion? Your BBQ tank alone could take out half your house. Nobody bats an eye at those though. So why so afraid of hydrogen? It's just another fuel, and properly handled with technology designed for it, what is the problem? The GreenGT guys aren't even burning it, they're using it in an electrolitic fuel cell arrangement to produce electricity to drive an electric motor, because battery tech can't cope with a full electric endurance race.

I agree there, the real argument against hydrogen as stated earlier is that you simply can't get it without consuming another fuel/electricity. So why not just bypass the inefficiency and consume the other fuel/electricity directly? Especially considering that we already have a huge electricity infrastructure in place.

It's a great fuel, but until we're producing it with nuclear power plants or some bioproduction, it'll never be economical or efficient to use.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Me and Kastein are the AI'est people in AI. Anything someone else builds, we could drive over, if we could only get the drat things finished. That's the most AI ever.

otaku69
May 18, 2003

Puddin posted:

They were. The Si-R had the b16a engine in it. The headlights are slightly wider and came with a different bonnet.

There was also a CRX Exclusive which had a fully leather tan interior. Only a few hundred made.

http://www.cr-x.org/crxorg/seditions/

DixielandDelight
Jul 23, 2012

jonathan posted:

Me and Kastein are the AI'est people in AI. Anything someone else builds, we could drive over, if we could only get the drat things finished. That's the most AI ever.

That's it. It's done. You've peaked. You don't have to post anymore.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

PhotoKirk posted:

I remember seeing that car on "That's Incredible!" (or some other '80's TV show) when I was a kid.

I think that car is at the auto museum in Balboa Park, right?

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

IOwnCalculus posted:

I think that car is at the auto museum in Balboa Park, right?

Yep.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
Yes, it is. I took a bunch of other photos of other awesome AI poo poo they have there, too :)

1916 Harley Davidson motorcycle, unrestored. Interesting how they did the front suspension; Indian was using stubby little leaf springs about that time. I love the exposed pushrods, too.

grover fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Dec 14, 2012

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

grover posted:

Which an impact wrench, of course!

There's a wheeled jack under the car that lifts the wheel off the ground; let them set world records for non-stop endurance driving from California to NYC and back to California without ever stopping, and then later Alaska to Mexico City, without stopping. One guy would shimmy out on the sideboard, while another climbs on the hood and sets up the plywood platform on the wheel that needs changing. The guy on the hood then climbs down to the plywood and changes the tire just like you normally would, only the car is still moving at 25mph. They refueled in a similar fashion. Safety was apparently not much of a concern.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yT8azxnVAC4&t=390s

No offense to anyone else but I have to say this is the coolest thing posted in this thread. I was blown away watching that video.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Holy shitballs, R1-powered Mini. I really want this thing. :getin:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Powershift posted:

You are right. Gasoline is as volatile as hydrogen. What was I thinking.

Hydrogen is a dumb choice for dumb people. You still need new production facilities, a new supply chain. Large amounts of storage for it within residential neighborhoods. Idiots will still smoke while refueling and Blow themselves up, and you will have to refuel twice as often.

While humans regularly use as volatile fuels without blowing themselves up every day of our lives in the most mundane of circumstances, that's always going to be a truly dumb argument against hydrogen. Battery tech is NOT going to allow an electric car for anything beyond city running at best for years unless you get fuel cells. Fuel cells work and hydrogen works.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Cat Terrist posted:

While humans regularly use as volatile fuels without blowing themselves up every day of our lives in the most mundane of circumstances, that's always going to be a truly dumb argument against hydrogen. Battery tech is NOT going to allow an electric car for anything beyond city running at best for years unless you get fuel cells. Fuel cells work and hydrogen works.

Current hybrid-electric drivetrains are always going to be more effective than hydrogen fuel-cell drivetrains because there isn't the wasteful conversion step from some other energy to hydrogen (and liquid fuels are simply more power-dense than hydrogen).

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Now if only we could figure out how to bind the hydrogen to something like carbon to allow it to be stored more readily in a more compact form. Oh wait...

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

EightBit posted:

Current hybrid-electric drivetrains are always going to be more effective than hydrogen fuel-cell drivetrains because there isn't the wasteful conversion step from some other energy to hydrogen (and liquid fuels are simply more power-dense than hydrogen).

The hydrogen isn't being burnt. Power density of liquid vs gaseous fuel is irrelevant, the hydrogen is being used in a chemical reaction with air to produce electricity.
And maybe you missed the point about it powering an endurance racing prototype? Sure, they won't be competing with the Audi hybrids in the "who can spend the most money" game (and don't get me wrong, the Audis are next-level type badassetry that sound amazing and are stupidly fast), but the whole point of prototype racing, especially LeMans, is it's where people get to try new things in the most punishing environment just to see if they work.

which was doing well until

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
it's always a Porsche, unless it's a Ferrari

Rakekniven
Jun 4, 2000
Forum Veteran

VikingSkull posted:

it's always a Porsche, unless it's a Ferrari

Except for on public roads, where it's always an Audi.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-pzol0sxro

Now I know what to do when I have "gently caress You" amounts of money

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
The cheapest way to get hydrogen right now is from natural gas. Instead of going to hydrogen you could just go to natural gas directly and burn it in current ICEs with no modifications. The US has enough natural gas for 200 years, so why isn't everyone driving around in Honda Civic DXGs and gas Ram trucks? Same reason why they aren't doing it with hydrogen. Carrying a giant tank of volatile COMPRESSED GAS is a much diferent affair than a tank of volatile liquid.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
200 years being used as is now? Or 200 years of supplying a fleet of tens of millions of road cars?

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Linedance posted:

The hydrogen isn't being burnt. :words: the hydrogen is being used in a chemical reaction with air :words:

What do you think burning is?

You still have to deal with the waste of converting some other form of energy to hydrogen before you can feed it to the cells; there are other gaseous fuels that can be dug straight from the ground, but are still not practical because of energy density problems, at least with combustion engines. Fuel cells have other problems too, ranging from some requiring more platinum than your catalytic converter, to just low power density. Hydrogen fuel cells will simply never be mainstream.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Throatwarbler posted:

The cheapest way to get hydrogen right now is from natural gas. Instead of going to hydrogen you could just go to natural gas directly and burn it in current ICEs with no modifications. The US has enough natural gas for 200 years, so why isn't everyone driving around in Honda Civic DXGs and gas Ram trucks? Same reason why they aren't doing it with hydrogen. Carrying a giant tank of volatile COMPRESSED GAS is a much diferent affair than a tank of volatile liquid.

oooooh scary. No it's not. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autogas

We don't have LPG cars exploding all over the place. Ours hasn't killed me. not even once!
CNG is a slightly different affair having a lower energy density still, but the systems are designed with safeguards and the tanks are pretty much bulletproof.

It's not my fault that the majority of the U.S. is scared of LPG, CNG, Diesel and Metric.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

EightBit posted:

What do you think burning is?

You still have to deal with the waste of converting some other form of energy to hydrogen before you can feed it to the cells; there are other gaseous fuels that can be dug straight from the ground, but are still not practical because of energy density problems, at least with combustion engines. Fuel cells have other problems too, ranging from some requiring more platinum than your catalytic converter, to just low power density. Hydrogen fuel cells will simply never be mainstream.

the :words: are the important bit, not the being pedantic about what burning is.

Hydrogen fuel cells are about as likely to become mainstream as battery powered electric cars.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

General_Failure posted:

We don't have LPG cars exploding all over the place. Ours hasn't killed me. not even once!
CNG is a slightly different affair having a lower energy density still, but the systems are designed with safeguards and the tanks are pretty much bulletproof.

It's not my fault that the majority of the U.S. is scared of LPG, CNG, Diesel and Metric.

How many service stations still carry LPG in Australia? In NZ its virtually gone now, because having the tanks and training staff up is just more money than its worth.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Wound rubber bands are what I'm pegging my money on as propulsion technology of the future. You ever hit your finger on the propeller of a rubber band plane? Tons of potential in this field.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

VikingSkull posted:

200 years being used as is now? Or 200 years of supplying a fleet of tens of millions of road cars?

The quote I heard back whn T Boone Pickens was trying to get his idea off the ground was that it was enough to replace ALL oil for 200 years.

General_Failure posted:

The most common car in the US(Honda Civic) and lots of trucks can be bought from the factory equipped for natural gas in the US. Most US households have ready access to gas lines. No one buys them because the cost of engineering the car so that it remains somewhat safe in a crash almost doubles the car's price. Also the tank takes up all the truck space.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

dissss posted:

How many service stations still carry LPG in Australia? In NZ its virtually gone now, because having the tanks and training staff up is just more money than its worth.
I'd say 99% of servos have LPG here in Australia.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

dissss posted:

The vast majority of them. It's pretty rare to see them not carry it. Although at the current time it's not the most popular fuel because even premium works out cheaper in $/km. They blame the LPG price hikes on international bs, but as far as I know LPG is locally sourced.

Throatwarbler, it's pretty much been a perfected technology for a while now. I can't really comment on CNG but LPG costs ~$1-2000 to be retrofit for a mixer ring setup and ??? for liquid / gas injection. If I go back in time before the last year or so, if I were to get gas fitted it would have paid for itself in a few months.

You can lose space, yes. It depends on where the tank is mounted and whether the vehicle is a total conversion or dual fuel. Total conversion a tank can be mounted where the original fuel tank was. Depending on the vehicle design sometimes the tank can go between the frame rails, under a tray or whatever. There are also smaller tanks which can be fitted instead of a spare tyre.

As said the tanks are strong, plus there is a dual solenoid setup, tachometric relay and I don't know what else. If the vehicle is demolished to the point an LPG tank is ruptured odds are the occupants are dead anyway.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane

VikingSkull posted:

Wound rubber bands are what I'm pegging my money on as propulsion technology of the future. You ever hit your finger on the propeller of a rubber band plane? Tons of potential in this field.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9MBQ4C8MIc&t=19s

Someone had that same thought back in the 80's and it worked briefly. I cant imagine how dangerous winding that sucker was.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

VikingSkull posted:

sure, the closer you get to work, the longer it takes, but goddamn do you get home quick!

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

General_Failure posted:

The vast majority of them. It's pretty rare to see them not carry it. Although at the current time it's not the most popular fuel because even premium works out cheaper in $/km. They blame the LPG price hikes on international bs, but as far as I know LPG is locally sourced.

Throatwarbler, it's pretty much been a perfected technology for a while now. I can't really comment on CNG but LPG costs ~$1-2000 to be retrofit for a mixer ring setup and ??? for liquid / gas injection. If I go back in time before the last year or so, if I were to get gas fitted it would have paid for itself in a few months.

You can lose space, yes. It depends on where the tank is mounted and whether the vehicle is a total conversion or dual fuel. Total conversion a tank can be mounted where the original fuel tank was. Depending on the vehicle design sometimes the tank can go between the frame rails, under a tray or whatever. There are also smaller tanks which can be fitted instead of a spare tyre.

As said the tanks are strong, plus there is a dual solenoid setup, tachometric relay and I don't know what else. If the vehicle is demolished to the point an LPG tank is ruptured odds are the occupants are dead anyway.

I'm well aware of how it works, I'm in China right now and ride in natural gas cars all the time. Of course the tanks in these are probably stronger than the cars because Chinese car, so uh, you know. The natural gas Civic costs $27k in the US, vs $24k for the Civic hybrid. According to Honda that's the price because that's what it costs to build, probably more because I think they get some kind of government subsidy too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

Throatwarbler posted:

Right, hydrogen has its issues, but at least its mostly renewable. Manufacture of hydrogen with next gen nuclear plants is above 50% efficiency. They use waist heat from the reactor to speed the reaction involved in braking down hydrogen from water. Our supplies of nuclear fuels are magnitudes higher than CNG. My schools has several fuel cell power projects going on. There are issues to over come, but the vast amount of research going into it tell me that It wont be that much longer until its viable. Most people would have said solar power was pointless years ago because of the efficiency of the panels but these days they are pretty good. Technology moves fast.