Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Robin Sparkles
Apr 23, 2009

Dacap posted:

Define cheap. I think one of the best quality ones for the cost are the Klipsch s4i. The have a version II out now that have better cabling, but the first gen ones here are cheaper.

http://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-S4i-Premium-Noise-Isolating-3-Button/dp/B00264GYMG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1354932826&sr=8-1&keywords=s4i

Cheap as in $30 or less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Robin Sparkles posted:

Cheap as in $30 or less.

These bad boys are half your budget and are pretty comparable to those Images sound-wise. Best bargain out there.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Robin Sparkles posted:

I've been using a pair of apple in-ear headphones for the better part of a year now, and I hate them. The plastic bud bit falls off constantly, and they're apple headphones, so they're falling apart. The only thing I like about Apple earbuds are the volume controls, pause/play button, and mic. Can someone recommend me a pair of headphones that are relatively cheap and have these buttons? I don't care about quality, they are mostly for riding the bus to and from work.

You know you can just buy replacement plastic buds

Just search "silicon earbud covers" in amazon. They come in different sizes too, and they'll be cheaper than replacing your headset.

Robin Sparkles
Apr 23, 2009

signalnoise posted:

You know you can just buy replacement plastic buds

Just search "silicon earbud covers" in amazon. They come in different sizes too, and they'll be cheaper than replacing your headset.

I hate the buds, they don't stay in my ears, and I can't be assed to keep putting them back on 10 times a day. They fall off so easily that if I take them out of my ears sometimes they fall off. I'm just sick of them.

deadwing posted:

These bad boys are half your budget and are pretty comparable to those Images sound-wise. Best bargain out there.

Thanks, I like the look of the volume control, I will consider these, they still have the removable plastic that I'm not fond of, but if it doesn't fall off on it's own, then these look great.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Robin Sparkles posted:

Thanks, I like the look of the volume control, I will consider these, they still have the removable plastic that I'm not fond of, but if it doesn't fall off on it's own, then these look great.
For earphones with the removable silicone pieces just use a drop of superglue to stick the silicone piece to the earphone once you find the one that fits your ear the best. This will fix the problem in less than a minute and it's much easier than trying to find good, inexpensive earphones that use a different design.

Robin Sparkles
Apr 23, 2009

mystes posted:

For earphones with the removable silicone pieces just use a drop of superglue to stick the silicone piece to the earphone once you find the one that fits your ear the best. This will fix the problem in less than a minute and it's much easier than trying to find good, inexpensive earphones that use a different design.

I actually did just that with the apple earbuds, and they came off within a week.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Robin Sparkles posted:

I actually did just that with the apple earbuds, and they came off within a week.
Oh well, I've had good luck doing this with other earbuds, but it might depend on the specific design or materials. It looks like the silicone pieces on the apple earbuds might attach to a piece of metal, is this correct? If so that might be why it doesn't work. With most earphones it's all plastic so superglue might work better.

Robin Sparkles
Apr 23, 2009

mystes posted:

Oh well, I've had good luck doing this with other earbuds, but it might depend on the specific design or materials. It looks like the silicone pieces on the apple earbuds might attach to a piece of metal, is this correct? If so that might be why it doesn't work. With most earphones it's all plastic so superglue might work better.

This is correct, and the apple ones have a tiny speaker that you can screw in and out, if you need to replace it. This also unscrewed itself a few times in the past year. The headphones are just a mess.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
What's a good "science-y" gift for a five-year old? I need to get a couple things for my nephew this Christmas. My sister has asked that he not get a lot of toys, and I know my parents are going to get him all sorts no matter what, so I figure I'll go the educational route, though obviously it still has to be at least a little fun.

He's already pretty drat bright...he just started kindergarten, but was reading and writing well before. I've gotten him books before (gotta get them hooked on The Seuss early,) so now I"m looking to "nerd him up" (my brother-in-law has already done the nerdy pop-culture front. He loves Star Wars, Spider-Man, and Green Lantern. So I figure I'll cover the science and math parts of the nerd equation.)

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

DrBouvenstein posted:

What's a good "science-y" gift for a five-year old?

Circuit board kit depending on how bright he is!

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00008BFZH

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I loved this book at about that age: http://www.amazon.com/Stephen-Biestys-Incredible-Cross-Sections-Richard/dp/0679814116

And I didn't just like it because there was someone pooping in each picture. Hopefully you can find a better source to buy it from.

And when he gets older, this is pretty cool too:
http://www.amazon.com/The-New-Way-Things-Work/dp/0395938473/ref=pd_sim_b_16

Although by the time he is old enough to read it, it might be way out of date.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

dreesemonkey posted:

I know it's not solar but if she's cooking food already have you thought of a biolite stove? They seem pretty neato.

http://biolitestove.com/

The charging part on those is almost an afterthought. One test I saw charged an iPhone 15% in two hours of constant use.

Meanwhile when I went camping my Solarjoos Orange charged three smartphones every day and had its internal battery (6,000 mAh) topped off by sunset. It's pretty great if it has direct sun.

Bluff
Oct 7, 2009

by Ralp

Robin Sparkles posted:

I've been using a pair of apple in-ear headphones for the better part of a year now, and I hate them. The plastic bud bit falls off constantly, and they're apple headphones, so they're falling apart. The only thing I like about Apple earbuds are the volume controls, pause/play button, and mic. Can someone recommend me a pair of headphones that are relatively cheap and have these buttons? I don't care about quality, they are mostly for riding the bus to and from work.

I got these a few weeks ago after seeing a bunch of raving reviews of audiophile forums: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008CCSD7K/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

They are absolutely awesome. Stock tips are comfortable, I'm no audiophile but the base is awesome when I'm playing hip-hop without carrying over and ruining the sound quality of my rock / jazz / indie tracks. People on hi-fi say they are as near to par with $300 headphones as you can really get without crazy extras or whatever that I don't care about anyway.

More importantly: cord is really strong, it's not round but rather a thin "strip" which I really really like. Connector is a classy black / aluminum that's rock solid, I can't imagine ruining like I have all my other headphones. Buds themselves are light and the sleek black / metallic look is exactly what I want.

It also has those buttons you're looking for.

From what I can tell this is one of the rare instances where a manufacture got all those little things that bug you about headphones RIGHT. As an added bonus the price ($29) is a goddamn steal. So if you want a great pair of earbuds, go buy them right now.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Robin Sparkles posted:

This is correct, and the apple ones have a tiny speaker that you can screw in and out, if you need to replace it. This also unscrewed itself a few times in the past year. The headphones are just a mess.

I'm 99% convinced they made those things purposefully lovely to see how many people would put up with them, just because they advertise the fact that you own an apple product.

Robin Sparkles
Apr 23, 2009

Bluff posted:

I got these a few weeks ago after seeing a bunch of raving reviews of audiophile forums: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008CCSD7K/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

They are absolutely awesome. Stock tips are comfortable, I'm no audiophile but the base is awesome when I'm playing hip-hop without carrying over and ruining the sound quality of my rock / jazz / indie tracks. People on hi-fi say they are as near to par with $300 headphones as you can really get without crazy extras or whatever that I don't care about anyway.

More importantly: cord is really strong, it's not round but rather a thin "strip" which I really really like. Connector is a classy black / aluminum that's rock solid, I can't imagine ruining like I have all my other headphones. Buds themselves are light and the sleek black / metallic look is exactly what I want.

It also has those buttons you're looking for.

From what I can tell this is one of the rare instances where a manufacture got all those little things that bug you about headphones RIGHT. As an added bonus the price ($29) is a goddamn steal. So if you want a great pair of earbuds, go buy them right now.

Thanks, these actually look great. I'm guessing the plastic cover on the buds doesn't come off so easily, either?

Away all Goats posted:

I'm 99% convinced they made those things purposefully lovely to see how many people would put up with them, just because they advertise the fact that you own an apple product.

That's what it feels like. People ask me how I like the expensive pair of apple earbuds, and look very disappointed when I tell them the truth. (I'm so glad I didn't pay for these, and it was Apple's mistake that they are in my hands.)

cat_herder
Mar 17, 2010

BE GAY
DO CRIME

So, I'm disabled, and cannot stand for long periods of time, but I can't kneel, squat, or crouch for long periods of time (or, some days, any stretch of time at all).

However, I still have the deep love of nature that I had even before I got sick, and I have started volunteering at the local botanic garden (ABQ BioPark represent!) to get myself out of the house and feel more useful and accomplished with my life.

I need to get my hands on a garden stool of some sort, preferably with wheels, so I can sit without too much difficulty or without getting my pants dirty or muddy from sitting directly on the ground. I was thinking of getting something like this one, but it doesn't have very good reviews, and I am really loathe to spend a bunch of money on something that is just going to break under me after a few uses.

Please help. :ohdear:

cat_herder has a new favorite as of 06:07 on Dec 10, 2012

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

meteloides posted:

So, I'm disabled, and cannot stand for long periods of time, but I can't kneel, squat, or crouch for long periods of time (or, some days, any stretch of time at all).

However, I still have the deep love of nature that I had even before I got sick, and I have started volunteering at the local botanic garden (ABQ BioPark represent!) to get myself out of the house and feel more useful and accomplished with my life.

I need to get my hands on a garden stool of some sort, preferably with wheels, so I can sit without too much difficulty or without getting my pants dirty or muddy from sitting directly on the ground. I was thinking of getting something like this one, but it doesn't have very good reviews, and I am really loathe to spend a bunch of money on something that is just going to break under me after a few uses.

I looked through some of the options on Amazon and didn't find anything without a huge setback, but maybe drop a good cushion on the back of one of these puppies? I worked at a greenhouse when I was much younger, and aside from hauling pots, we mostly used these to sit on, but only directly over an axle; they tip if there's no counterbalance, and there's a lip that can dig into your leg if there's not enough padding.

I wish I could help more :sigh:

DoleMIGHTY
Oct 23, 2007
uncle bens low fat puaddings
Can anyone recommend a good MicroUSB car charger? My current one i got from target, and you have to plug in a USB cable. It can't charge the phone faster than it discharges, so I'm really looking for a replacement.

Ideally something that would fit the trifecta of charging speed, form factor (smaller is better obviously), and price.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

DoleMIGHTY posted:

Can anyone recommend a good MicroUSB car charger? My current one i got from target, and you have to plug in a USB cable. It can't charge the phone faster than it discharges, so I'm really looking for a replacement.

Ideally something that would fit the trifecta of charging speed, form factor (smaller is better obviously), and price.

I've got this one and it works well. It's rated at about 950 mA, which is pretty darn good and should charge your phone no problem. Mine is able to charge my phone even with bluetooth on and streaming audio, and it keeps the charge "even" with GPS on (GPS is always a power hog.)

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

meteloides posted:

Have you been thinking about something like this?

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...alker+with+seat

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

rock2much posted:

I've had the same spring mattress for almost a decade. Can anyone tell me why I might hate switching to a memory foam bed like this? http://www.amazon.com/DynastyMattress-Breeze-12-Inch-Memory-Mattress-King/dp/B000WZTVRG/ref=reg_hu-rd_add_1_dp

Bought this and love it so far. Granted I've only had it two nights but no complaints yet.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

(Maybe this is question for Pet Island.)

I recently got a cat - a Himalayan sort of guy with really long, REALLY fine hair. I'm wondering if anyone has sort of a comprehensive set of "equipment" for dealing with hair that's out of control.

I saw a vacuum someone posted a little while back, The Shark Navigator; and I'm looking at upgrading to that.

I was wondering then, if there are opinions on:
- Air filters
- Cleaning supplies (static brushes?)
- Laundry products, tactics
- Other things

He's got teeny hairs unaffected by gravity, and no linen or rug is safe.

VVV - Coo. Thank you.

Captain Lavender has a new favorite as of 23:12 on Dec 10, 2012

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?

Captain Lavender posted:

(Maybe this is question for Pet Island.)

I recently got a cat - a Himalayan sort of guy with really long, REALLY fine hair. I'm wondering if anyone has sort of a comprehensive set of "equipment" for dealing with hair that's out of control.

I saw a vacuum someone posted a little while back, The Shark Navigator; and I'm looking at upgrading to that.

I was wondering then, if there are opinions on:
- Air filters
- Cleaning supplies (static brushes?)
- Laundry products, tactics
- Other things

He's got teeny hairs unaffected by gravity, and no linen or rug is safe.

Yeah, PI has a small questions thread.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

DrBouvenstein posted:

I've got this one and it works well. It's rated at about 950 mA, which is pretty darn good and should charge your phone no problem. Mine is able to charge my phone even with bluetooth on and streaming audio, and it keeps the charge "even" with GPS on (GPS is always a power hog.)

That indeed is a great one. I've used it with screen-on constantly, GPS on, 4G, tethering, and bluetooth streaming and it still charged at a decent speed on my Evo3D.

Bloody Mayhem
Jan 25, 2007

Victimology is all over the place!
God, this thread got huge! Apologies if this has already been covered.

I'm looking to buy a digital projection clock. I'd be using it in my bathroom, because I tend to take way too much time in the shower. But since I can't see the time, I always end up being late :saddowns:. I'd like to place it on top of my cabinet and have it project on the shower tiles.

I looked around on Amazon, but it's difficult to judge and choose. Goon advice?

ickna
May 19, 2004

Bloody Mayhem posted:

God, this thread got huge! Apologies if this has already been covered.

I'm looking to buy a digital projection clock. I'd be using it in my bathroom, because I tend to take way too much time in the shower. But since I can't see the time, I always end up being late :saddowns:. I'd like to place it on top of my cabinet and have it project on the shower tiles.

I looked around on Amazon, but it's difficult to judge and choose. Goon advice?

I'm stealing this idea from you. I need to be able to read it with my glasses off though because I'm ludicrously nearsighted

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

Looking for a romance book for my Grandma, obviously I can just hit amazon and the bestsellers list, but I really don't want to accidentally buy something with tons of sex or violence in it (Grandma might like that poo poo but I bet she wouldn't want it from me). I know she likes Daniele Steel enough that she probably has everything already. So any romance loving goons with a good recommendation?

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

Dirty Frank posted:

Looking for a romance book for my Grandma, obviously I can just hit amazon and the bestsellers list, but I really don't want to accidentally buy something with tons of sex or violence in it (Grandma might like that poo poo but I bet she wouldn't want it from me). I know she likes Daniele Steel enough that she probably has everything already. So any romance loving goons with a good recommendation?

The Book Barn has a recommendations megathread where you may get more of a response to this. I can't recommend anything because I can't read.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Is there a good waterproof clock/radio mp3 player to put in the shower? I'd prefer it to have some sort of flash/memory card storage for mp3s, but if it reads mp3s on cds that's fine too.

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

overdesigned posted:

The Book Barn has a recommendations megathread where you may get more of a response to this. I can't recommend anything because I can't read.

Thanks. Didn't see that, dunno how...

pageerror404
Feb 14, 2012

I finally killed them.
I have a long car trip coming up and I need something to mount my smartphone so I ca use it as a GPS. It can't be on the windshield in this state. Additionally the air vent mounts won't work because the vents are too loose in my car and it makes them whip around when I take corners.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Can anyone recommend a place online to buy fudge?

My grandmother loves fudge. She likes fudge from Buc-ees in Texas - specifically the Chocolate Walnut - and from Disney World. So, if someone knows of a place online that is comparable or better then either of these places I would be thankful!

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

pageerror404 posted:

I have a long car trip coming up and I need something to mount my smartphone so I ca use it as a GPS. It can't be on the windshield in this state. Additionally the air vent mounts won't work because the vents are too loose in my car and it makes them whip around when I take corners.

I recommended this to someone else in this thread. Mine hasn't budged from my dash since I mounted it and the quick release works great.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

kloa posted:

My grandmother loves fudge. She likes fudge from Buc-ees in Texas - specifically the Chocolate Walnut - and from Disney World. So, if someone knows of a place online that is comparable or better then either of these places I would be thankful!

There's a little company that will go get you Disney World fudge straight from the park if you want. Expensive, naturally, but the real thing. You could probably talk to them about pricing for picking up a complete tin if you wanted.

If this is not a time-sensitive Christmas gift sort of problem, I believe it's sold at the Candy Cauldron and Goofy's Candy Company in Downtown Disney. You could probably get an Orlando goon to pick some up for you and mail it out. If you'd like, I should be out in that direction come early January.

Short of that, Kilwin's is excellent fudge, sometimes available locally. I remember Maple Leaf Fudge being very good, but I admit it's been more than a few years.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

kloa posted:

The Fudgery has the best fudge that I've ever had. I don't know how it compares to Disney World's, but still, best fudge, ever had. Pardon me, ordering myself some.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

pageerror404 posted:

Is the law only that it can't be mounted directly to the glass, or that it cannot be in line-of-sight with the windshield?

Most mounts come with a plastic disc with a sticky pad on the back side that you can stick to the dash and they apply the suction cup to the disc.

pageerror404
Feb 14, 2012

I finally killed them.
Radios can be mounted under the mirror. Stickers can be mounted in the bottom corner on the passenger side. GPS units can be mounted in a 5 inch space in the bottom corner of the drivers side... However a phone is not a GPS. I guess I'm paranoid.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
You could try the one The Bunk suggested (although some of the reviews say the suction cup will leave a permanent mark on your dash) or get a purpose-built mount for your phone with the stick-on plastic disc and attach it somewhere on the face of your dashboard - like between the stereo and steering column. Out of line-of-sight with the windshield but easily within a quick glance over.

I really doubt they'd try to write you a ticket for having a phone where a "GPS" is permitted, unless they catch you in the act of texting while the phone is in its mount.

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?

kloa posted:

I've always liked Murdick's Fudge, based in Martha's Vineyard. Chocolate walnut has always been my favorite as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

So I need a present for a friend who just moved out into the country.
I remember seeing an axe, sledgehammer, prybar combo crazy tool that wasn't too expensive. Anyone have an idea of what I'm thinking of?

• Locked thread