Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

grover posted:

I cut 1" off the end of a cheap allen wrench kit with a grinder, and use them with my metric sockets.

When allens go bad. usually 6?mm or something I would pound my 8mm multihex bit in. Vice versa if the multihex stripped out. Got some really badly hosed CV bolts out that way. Had to hacksaw through a couple still. I would not recommend that to anyone who likes being sane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Yeah, I had to pound in a Torx head bolt recently and never want to have to deal with that poo poo again, which is why I was looking for a decent set of socket allen keys.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

Z3n posted:

Does anyone have some recommendations on a nice set of 3/8ths inch drive metric allen keys? Mine are starting to poo poo the bed and as a result I'm stripping way more allen bolts which leads to rage and yelling.

Biggest thing is, clean the bolt head out well; use a pick or something to get any dirt or rust out to make absolutely sure that the bit can bottom out. The loving worst poo poo is when something like an engine mount is in your way and you can't get in perfectly straight, and round it out. :geno:

OnlyJuanMon
Jan 25, 2010

:burger::taco::burger::taco::burger:
Too tired to chase fences right now.
:taco::burger::taco::burger::taco:

soap. posted:

I'm looking to buy a creeper for my boyfriend for Christmas. He's 6'4" and 230 lbs so something that's fairly heavy duty would be good. I've just done some cursory googling and I'm sort of at a loss! I don't really know the pros and cons of any of them (plastic? Steel? 4 wheel? 6?
Convertible? Not?). So...any advice? He works almost exclusively on older Toyota trucks and SUVs, if that makes a difference (more clearance?).

Real men dont need creepers!

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

OnlyJuanMon posted:

Real men dont need creepers!

Translated: Real men don't have concrete surfaces to work on.

velocross
Sep 16, 2007

Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco

Z3n posted:

Yeah, I had to pound in a Torx head bolt recently and never want to have to deal with that poo poo again, which is why I was looking for a decent set of socket allen keys.

I've had good luck with my craftsman and husky set so far. I do always play it safe with allen heads and tap the socket bit into them to seat the bit. Been eyeing the gold snap on bits, but I really don't have any excuse to get them yet.

I've read gearwrench and vim make some pretty decent allen bits. I know to avoid lisle bits.

Doctor Londom
Feb 24, 2006
I'm gonna get to the bottom of this and I don't give a fuck if you're at the top.
Edit: Sold! Goddamn, guys.

Doctor Londom fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Dec 20, 2012

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
That is an amazing deal for a quality tool.

Anyone got a recommendation for a decent cheap gauge-style inch pound torque wrench? I'd love to start getting into setting up my own differential gears but I don't really have the budget to drop $200-300 on a torque wrench for measuring pinion bearing preload right now.

I could swear I saw one for $50 from a good maker a while ago, but I can't find it now.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
I'm considering that crimp tool!

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

kastein posted:

That is an amazing deal for a quality tool.

Anyone got a recommendation for a decent cheap gauge-style inch pound torque wrench? I'd love to start getting into setting up my own differential gears but I don't really have the budget to drop $200-300 on a torque wrench for measuring pinion bearing preload right now.

I could swear I saw one for $50 from a good maker a while ago, but I can't find it now.

I rented one from Autozone once. If you need it now for just one job, it might be an option

Raw_Beef
Jul 2, 2004

We know what you been up to and my advice on that little venture is to pack it in. It won't work. It will all end in tears.

Preoptopus posted:

Is any one else's Matco guy a complete and utter dick for no good reason?

Theyre probably losing money and pissed off. Our Matco guy just went out of business, i just moved to a new area but i am told he was the 3rd one in as many years. He sent letters to all the techs who owed him money demanding payment in full, and anyone who bought tools from him is now forced to wait till another franchisee comes around.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Z3n posted:

Does anyone have some recommendations on a nice set of 3/8ths inch drive metric allen keys? Mine are starting to poo poo the bed and as a result I'm stripping way more allen bolts which leads to rage and yelling.

Get some GearWrench impact bits. They're expensive, but last forever. http://www.amazon.com/GearWrench-84912-8-Inch-Impact-7-Piece/dp/B003MWOU5Y

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Deceptor101 posted:

I got the craftsman set, wasn't thrilled with the $40 price tag, but they feel well made and did a great job with my clutch line fittings. They're nicely polished, and seem to fit well.

:hfive:

Just got that set myself. And yeah, they were hard to find. Looked all over, couldn't find any in local stores, had to order online from Sears. At least I got a few bucks off when I bought it on a Cyber Monday sale.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

General_Failure posted:

Translated: Real men don't have concrete surfaces to work on.

Real men refuse to do any bodywork unless the car is submerged in chilly sea water.

Amos Moses
Oct 13, 2012

by Ralp

soap. posted:

I'm looking to buy a creeper for my boyfriend for Christmas. He's 6'4" and 230 lbs so something that's fairly heavy duty would be good. I've just done some cursory googling and I'm sort of at a loss! I don't really know the pros and cons of any of them (plastic? Steel? 4 wheel? 6?
Convertible? Not?). So...any advice? He works almost exclusively on older Toyota trucks and SUVs, if that makes a difference (more clearance?).

This is something you might want to check with him about first. Creepers can be a real annoyance and oft get in the way. Being a larger guy I'll say while they do make rolling around a tad bit nicer having broad shoulders means being able to lean over goes out the window even with the smallish bit that a creeper raises you off the floor.

That and if he uses any sort of trouble light that uses a power cord it can get real annoying real fast to continually be stopped by the drat cord.

Used to use a creeper myself until I got fed up with a wheel hitting a loose nut on the concrete and all of a sudden no more roll.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Amos Moses posted:

Used to use a creeper myself until I got fed up with a wheel hitting a loose nut on the concrete and all of a sudden no more roll.

You'll find that better fitting underwear will solve that issue.

I just don't get creepers. A car is either too low to get under, can get under it but every millimetre is sacred, or high enough to sit under. Plus I guess working on dirt / grass / mud most of the time negates the use.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009
Creepers are great if you've got a high vehicle or a lift, and a smooth surface to work on (garage, shop, nice driveway, etc). They suck for just about everything else. I own three for some reason, and can't remember the last time I used one, other than to wheel my toolbox around on.

I do all of my work in a crappy rutted driveway, on mostly low cars that are up on stands.

e: Cheap rear end foam mats from HF are where it's at. I use these for everything.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Black88GTA posted:

Creepers are great if you've got a high vehicle or a lift, and a smooth surface to work on (garage, shop, nice driveway, etc). They suck for just about everything else. I own three for some reason, and can't remember the last time I used one, other than to wheel my toolbox around on.

I do all of my work in a crappy rutted driveway, on mostly low cars that are up on stands.

e: Cheap rear end foam mats from HF are where it's at. I use these for everything.

I guess they are useful to some people then.

I ha to check the link because I though the mats might be the roll type from cheap shops. I use those things for everything. The VW even has them inside for insulation and a couple of air gaskets. Even some on the air cleaner. Never tried lying on one though.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Black88GTA posted:

Hasn't anybody heard of cardboard? You slide on it, you spill on it, whatever, just toss it and use another box?

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
I've got box that my radiator came in, it is pretty much all I've ever needed. Unfolded it's about 6ft long and 3ft wide, plenty enough room for working underneath.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Crustashio posted:

I've got box that my radiator came in, it is pretty much all I've ever needed. Unfolded it's about 6ft long and 3ft wide, plenty enough room for working underneath.

I threw out my radiator box last week. Something about paper wasps and spiders made me do it.

ASSTASTIC
Apr 27, 2003

Hey Gusy!
Posted this on the DIY tools thread, but is there a general concensus on a good electric impact gun? Is the Harbor Freight one poo poo?

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

Viggen posted:

Hasn't anybody heard of cardboard? You slide on it, you spill on it, whatever, just toss it and use another box?

I've used both. Thick, soft foam mats are a hell of a lot easier on your body when you're rolling around under a car for hours working on it than thin cardboard, especially on a paved surface. Also, these are pretty good about spills - they hose off really well. And I paid less than :10bux: for them. Well worth it, IMO.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
I've just been using a 4x8 sheet of plywood under my cars, overtop my half gravel half mud driveway. Nuts, bolts, screws, sockets and wrenches don't get dirty/lost forever in the mess, and my back stays relatively clean and dry. Got it for $free out of my garage, my only gripe is I hadn't thought of it sooner.

I broke down and bought a set of allen sockets today, after my 5mm allen wrench gave in to the last 3 bolts of my oil pan:

e: So I haven't been following this thread at all, but has it been discussed yet how bad the toolseverything from Harbor Freight smells? I bought a wheel bearing puller kit while I was on the way to work, and I let it sit in the back of my wagon for a couple days. When I got back into my car the smell was AWFUL, like a mixture of used gear oil and burning plastic and what I'd imagine airborne lead would smell like. Fortunately it didn't sink into my seats or interior, and it aired out pretty quickly.

NoWake fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Dec 16, 2012

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Like I told Z3n a couple of posts back, but I guess it can't be repeated too much, is to get some loving GearWrench impact bits.

When the world ends in a couple of days, only GearWrench impact bits, rats and scorpions will be left on this doomed planet.

http://www.amazon.com/GearWrench-84912-8-Inch-Impact-7-Piece/dp/B003MWOU5Y

NoWake posted:

So I haven't been following this thread at all, but has it been discussed yet how bad the toolseverything from Harbor Freight smells?

Regarding cheap Chinese tools, they have their merit. Buy every tool imaginable for cheap and find out what you really need when you break it.

Replace the broken tool with a quality tool.

That way you won't have expensive tools just collecting dust, and you'll rarely be unable to attack a one-off job because you didn't find it worth the investment of a quality tool. Cheap Chinese tools loving own!

Sir Cornelius fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Dec 16, 2012

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Sir Cornelius posted:

Regarding cheap Chinese tools, they have their merit. Buy every tool imaginable for cheap and find out what you really need when you break it.

Replace the broken tool with a quality tool.

That way you won't have expensive tools just collecting dust, and you'll rarely be unable to attack a one-off job because you didn't find it worth the investment of a quality tool. Cheap Chinese tools loving own!

That's my strategy too. My spanners, sockets, thread taps and various other things have gone through this partial metamorphosis.
It's just such a drat shame that 3/4" breaker bars are so stupidly expensive. I could really use one of them.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

General_Failure posted:

That's my strategy too. My spanners, sockets, thread taps and various other things have gone through this partial metamorphosis.
It's just such a drat shame that 3/4" breaker bars are so stupidly expensive. I could really use one of them.
Really? You can get a 3' one for about £30 here, and normally the US is a lot cheaper than the UK for tools.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

General_Failure posted:

I don't know where you live, but from the above reply I guess the UK? Good luck breaking this £20 tool. I've tried but have so far utterly failed to do so:

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/040219620

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Sir Cornelius posted:

I don't know where you live, but from the above reply I guess the UK? Good luck breaking this £20 tool. I've tried but have so far utterly failed to do so:

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/040219620

Actually, it was Machine Mart I was talking about - if I need a 3/4" breaker, though, I figure I'd also be wanting the extra length!

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

InitialDave posted:

Actually, it was Machine Mart I was talking about - if I need a 3/4" breaker, though, I figure I'd also be wanting the extra length!

Extra length is called water pipe where I live.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Yeah, get yourself a 3 foot piece of proper sized iron pipe at the home depot and suddenly, you have ratcheting breaker bars... might want to get ratchets with good warranties.

A 4lb hammer on the far end of the handle of the same ratchet is known as an impact wrench.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Sir Cornelius posted:

Extra length is called water pipe where I live.

In the UK, it's called 'scaffolding'

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I just got this little guy the other day. It's a Craftsman multi-socket wrench tool. Tiny, but it also has an adapter for larger 1/4 sockets.

I got the idea when I realized I wasn't carrying my full set of sockets and wrenches in my car all the time, and wanted a glove box size emergency tool set. I already had a cheap multi-bit screwdriver laying around, and I'll buy a small set of the important larger sockets in 1/4 size and a multi-tool with needle nose pliers and a knife. This way I can have a small amount of tools in my car at all times that can handle emergencies but don't take up much space.

Are there any other cool small tools I need* to complete my glovebox mini-set?

*don't really need anything else but you know, any excuse to buy something cool...

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
I would add a leatherman so you have a knife and pliers.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I have a piece of fencepost I use over my jack handle and it is amazing.

Offtopic: can someone make a respirator thread? Different types, ratings, disposable, non-disposable, etc.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

InitialDave posted:

Really? You can get a 3' one for about £30 here, and normally the US is a lot cheaper than the UK for tools.

Australia. Cheapest I could find was about $120. All I want it for is the castellated hub nuts on my VW and a couple of other similar jobs. Last time I did that sort of thing, many years ago I had to borrow tools from someone that worked on farm machinery. 1/2" are way too weak for the job. I've bent mine on smaller jobs.

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

What fun is a project if it doesn't at least slightly ruin your life?

ASSTASTIC posted:

Posted this on the DIY tools thread, but is there a general concensus on a good electric impact gun? Is the Harbor Freight one poo poo?

I haven't tried the HF corded $40 one, but I imagine its poo poo. I'm in love with my dewalt 18v impact, and if you get the heavier one that uses the same batteries it'll do lugs. The small one is great for under car work or tight spaces. A friend of mine has a corded craftsman impact he got used that seems pretty awesome, but weighs like 10lbs.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The HF electric impact is a piece of poo poo, but if you need it a few times, it's worth it.

I was absolutely impressed with it when it managed to get off the crank bolt on the 2003 Miata engine. Then I was absolutely unimpressed when it broke a week later trying to lug nuts off of a Volvo.

I bought another one to hit flywheel bolts with... I figure I have another 4 good uses out of it before it grenades on itself.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Phone posted:

I bought another one to hit flywheel bolts with... I figure I have another 4 good uses out of it before it grenades on itself.
Unfortunately, Miatas have 6 flywheel bolts...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
I'll pimp this 12 volt Kawasaki impact: http://www.amazon.com/Kawasaki-841337-2-Inch-Impact-12-Volt/dp/B00544EZQ2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1355694540&sr=8-1&keywords=12v+impact

It made rotating my tires an absolute breeze. Haven't tried it for any really torqued bolts though.