Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
All these fixes that require you to start a new game really kills my motivation for finishing my playthrough. The Katauri dudes at least knew how to playtest to make sure their quests loving worked before shipping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

moot the hopple posted:

All these fixes that require you to start a new game really kills my motivation for finishing my playthrough. The Katauri dudes at least knew how to playtest to make sure their quests loving worked before shipping.

Seriously, every time I come across something that's bugged it bothers me that it's never going to be fixed. Why would I want to start again?!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I've just been replaying Crossworlds for now precisely because there have been so many patches with major bug fixes that require a new game. If the starting area was shorter I wouldn't mind, but alas.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

I really wish there was a reliable guide for the game. I am constantly breaking quests because I do things too early without realising.
The (presumably) last island you visit has a quest to kill some orc leader and put a "banner on the castle". Of course I've already killed the leader and I can't hand it in.

There's also a quest to slay a unicorn for a hunter. I killed the unicorn, which doesn't spawn until you pick up the quest, but it hasn't allowed me to complete it. There are now SEVEN quests in my journal that I cannot complete because of bugs and it's really and truly ruining the game. I never remember these issues with AP.

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

I'm the type of pony everypony should know
Yeah I'm having issues with some quests as well. Some are impossible to finish like finding the cabin boy who mysteriously vanished. And a few more I can't think of on the top of my head. They're still in my journal. The latest King's Bounty really dropped the ball on bug testing. The first two were way more polished and I don't even remember them throwing that many patches out to fix things.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

3 playthroughs now and I still haven't been able to complete an item set, this is getting super annoying if they are going to put in a crafting system they should make it so you can craft more then like 2 items per game.

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.
So I've been using the drat Paladin and Rune Mage combo from like level low 20s to 40 now, I guess it's nice that there's such an unstoppable combo to just win Deadly or higher fights without having anything die but I wonder if it would ever be worth actually changing it up.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

goldjas posted:

So I've been using the drat Paladin and Rune Mage combo from like level low 20s to 40 now, I guess it's nice that there's such an unstoppable combo to just win Deadly or higher fights without having anything die but I wonder if it would ever be worth actually changing it up.

Nothing else quite has the rez capabilities, you'll be boxing after every fight.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I have had absolutely no problems with this game (other than not getting credit for the ~5 achievements I unlocked in the first day of gameplay, but oh no, achievements). I am not denying that there ARE problems, naturally, just that I am sorry for those of you who have seemingly run into so many of them. I did not even find an ice dragon fight until after the patch fixed them, which was amazing since there was one so early on that I just kept somehow not seeing.

Still, no doubt that the previous games in the series were much more refined.

Velveteen posted:

Yeah I'm having issues with some quests as well. Some are impossible to finish like finding the cabin boy who mysteriously vanished.
Is that the one on the early ice island? Fastland? Probably not, because finding him is not the hard part, the part after that is the part that might seem bugged (you apparently have to actually walk, not fly, over part of the island to get it to trigger, we decided earlier).

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

goldjas posted:

I miss Royal Griffins the most. Demonologoists are almost a replacement. Those heavens guard griffins and the attack boost was so great. First turn clone them with rune mages then summon a second group of heavens guard that won't disappear when the clone stack disappears.

JackComa
Feb 9, 2012

Lifestyle choices
Need a hand here. I just got the game and while I'm loving it, I'll be away from home for a while due to work, having access to a so-so laptop. So I considered getting the other games in the series. Does it make sense to play them in chronological (release) order (I know storywise not so much, but it seems some mechanics/chars/items make recurring appearances/cameos).

Also, can I expect them to be lighter on my laptop, or are they pretty much the same? While WotN does run, it's kinda slow.

The good thing about discovering this kind of game so late is that there's quite a good amount of content to go through!

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

JackComa posted:

Need a hand here. I just got the game and while I'm loving it, I'll be away from home for a while due to work, having access to a so-so laptop. So I considered getting the other games in the series. Does it make sense to play them in chronological (release) order (I know storywise not so much, but it seems some mechanics/chars/items make recurring appearances/cameos).

Also, can I expect them to be lighter on my laptop, or are they pretty much the same? While WotN does run, it's kinda slow.

The good thing about discovering this kind of game so late is that there's quite a good amount of content to go through!

They are all about the same graphics-wise from what I remember.

The Legend is kind of a pain in the rear end to play compared to AP and this game for various reasons that were all fixed starting with AP though. You can probably get it for really cheap though so if you like this enough give it a shot. Definitely play through AP if you like this, however.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Taear posted:

Seriously, every time I come across something that's bugged it bothers me that it's never going to be fixed. Why would I want to start again?!

Yeah. I put the game aside last night since i have a half dozen things in the log that can't be completed, and I really don't want to play through it again right now. I'll probably pick it up again in a few months but this is one of the worst ways to fix stuff i've seen. I really like the series though, so maybe i'll go play Crossworlds again since I know everything actually works in that one.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Sloober posted:

Yeah. I put the game aside last night since i have a half dozen things in the log that can't be completed, and I really don't want to play through it again right now. I'll probably pick it up again in a few months but this is one of the worst ways to fix stuff i've seen. I really like the series though, so maybe i'll go play Crossworlds again since I know everything actually works in that one.

It does suck, but I personally dont care too much about finishing every single quest (most of then a terribly uninteresting, anyway), so I wont bother with a restart because some are broken.

I play this games because of the tactical combat, I barely read any text, even related to the main quest.

But yeah, is a bit of a let down, considering the previous games where shipped with a lot less bugs.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
The biggest annoyance I have with the whole quest thing is more that it's something that could have been caught in one playthrough. I've also been crashing like mad of late which isn't helping. Not sure why this game is so drat unstable.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Elias_Maluco posted:

It does suck, but I personally don't care too much about finishing every single quest (most of then a terribly uninteresting, anyway), so I wont bother with a restart because some are broken.

My worry is that something important is bugged though. Plus, some vendors change the troops they sell when you complete quests for them. I'm missing out on troops that I may need!

Once you hit Demonis it's hard to do every single fight without losing at least one or two troops and now I don't have enough paladins to justify having it as a stack, it's pretty frustrating.

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

Quarex posted:

Is that the one on the early ice island? Fastland? Probably not, because finding him is not the hard part, the part after that is the part that might seem bugged (you apparently have to actually walk, not fly, over part of the island to get it to trigger, we decided earlier).

Its the one with the big spider. I've searched everywhere on the island inside the cave, at the peak, the whole island and I've yet to see the cabin boy. I don't know what happened so I just gave it up.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
The writing in this game is so good, y'all, c'mon :( :( :(

(Not the half-assed main quest text full of typos and stuff, the random filler/fluff side quests that are hilarious [intentionally] frequently)

Edit: I do not think I know the "big spider cabin boy" quest, then.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Velveteen posted:

Its the one with the big spider. I've searched everywhere on the island inside the cave, at the peak, the whole island and I've yet to see the cabin boy. I don't know what happened so I just gave it up.

Assuming you're talking about the quest on the 4th island it's definitely there, you just need to examine all the dead-ends in that area that aren't at ground-level.

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

So is the quest where the Ent asks you to plant 4 seeds around the world doable, or is it yet another quest to add to my backlog of unsolvable quests (I've been to 2 of the 4 seed areas and saw no place to plant them).

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

goldjas posted:

So is the quest where the Ent asks you to plant 4 seeds around the world doable, or is it yet another quest to add to my backlog of unsolvable quests (I've been to 2 of the 4 seed areas and saw no place to plant them).

It definitely works, there's little patches of brown soil that looks tilled which you can plant in. I think each island has more than one but they don't sparkle or anything like that.

The only one I remember is that the one in the Wasteland is where the Valkyrie was.

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

Just got to Demonis and wow, the enemies sure seem really tanky for their leadership ratings or something. Also the Demonesses teleport thing is super annoying.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
This game is half off on Steam for the next 10 hours, if anyone's been waiting to pick it up yet still reads this thread (me).

slightlyslow
Aug 19, 2002
Cheer up, emo kid.
Yeah, I just saw this after browsing the Steam sale thread. I haven't played Armored Princess in probably a couple years but I loved it at the time. I pretty much bought this game immediately once I saw it.

And I don't even have to suffer with the week 1 bugs that force you to restart to be fixed. I'm sorry I haven't read the entire thread already, but did they ever give any logic about why couldn't they have respawned the quest related bugs? I guess I can understand not being able to backcalculate for one of the bugs (though unless they were doing something crazy that should be easy too). I just don't see how their codebase could be so bad that they literally couldn't fix some things by respawning mobs/events without forcing people to start over. I suppose that question is likely a sore point for people who have already played through the game though, so sorry for bringing it up again.

I just don't understand the excuse that because the data is stored in a save file means that it can't be patched. I say this as with the caveat of being a mediocre bioinformatics programmer, however.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

goldjas posted:

Just got to Demonis and wow, the enemies sure seem really tanky for their leadership ratings or something. Also the Demonesses teleport thing is super annoying.

Demons and Executioners are really hard to kill, which is why the ability that Demonologists have to summon a stack of them at the start of a fight is absolutely incredible.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
So now that I bought this, after the latest patch are all/most of the known major quest bugs fixed? Or are there still 40 more known gamebreakers and I should really keep waiting because of this whole "* does not apply to old saves" thing?

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

goldjas posted:

Yeah, I pretty much went around Demonis/Hades? with units specifically focused on dealing with Demonesses, so I would rage twice to kill as many as possible and then Soothsayer-charm the now-small-enough stack. ... and then kill it anyway even after charming it, JUST TO BE SURE, because sometimes it does not work.

They are the only army that I ever focus on before killing ranged units! A true honor.

Taear posted:

Demons and Executioners are really hard to kill, which is why the ability that Demonologists have to summon a stack of them at the start of a fight is absolutely incredible.
That is very true. I totally understand the comment about how Executioner-based armies must have been unstoppable in previous games. Even ordinary Demons are pretty badass just from constant-retaliation. I very rarely have the Demons/Executioners I end up summoning die before the battle ends, and they are always up there swinging away. Cuddly little guys!!!

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"
600 Berserkers vs 100 Marauders:
Berserkers deal 1 damage,
Marauders retaliate for thousand (or so)
All Berserkers die.

Great patch, or the greatest patch?

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

Wow Demonologists are incredible. So are Demon's / Executioners. Why yes I do like infinite counter attacks/ actions and being really loving tanky and also hitting really hard.

Edit: I'm confused by something. After beating then getting cutscene-killed by you know who, I'm not sure what troops to buy since both human type units and demon type units are all cut off from me. Am I supposed to go elf or something?

goldjas fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Nov 25, 2012

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I picked up some runemages because I heard they were good in an abusive way and holy crap throwing endless swarms of royal griffins and griffin guards at the enemy is powerful. Combined with dropping down a lava cyclops elemental with rage and all the enemy troops stand around in a nice cluster perfect for raining rage fire. :black101:

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

All my rune mages died and I'm sad now. I can't find anymore either. Oh well time to try another unit!

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

goldjas posted:

Edit: I'm confused by something. After beating then getting cutscene-killed by you know who, I'm not sure what troops to buy since both human type units and demon type units are all cut off from me. Am I supposed to go elf or something?

At the top of Greenthing, there's a guy who you can get Archmages from if you haven't already exhausted his supply. There's also a tent on Merlassar that gives Knights.
Also, there's no apostrophe in demons.

But yea, I had to go for mostly elf units and dwarf units, which kind of sucks because nothing is as good as Paladins.

You can usually fight every enemy without a loss until "important" enemies though from that point.

Taear fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Nov 25, 2012

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

Wow this game is long, I'm like 80 hours in, way past the point were you lose the paladins and rune mages, and the game is still going like there's going to be quite a bit left, geez.

Edit: Damnit, the game seems to be crashing without fail every time I try to fight (Spoiler for name of 2nd giant monster battle)Loki. Has anyone else had this issue, or am I just stuck now until this is patched?

goldjas fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Nov 26, 2012

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

goldjas posted:

Edit: Damnit, the game seems to be crashing without fail every time I try to fight (Spoiler for name of 2nd giant monster battle)Loki. Has anyone else had this issue, or am I just stuck now until this is patched?

I had a crash when fighting him too, but it's not one that ALWAYS happens so I'd be persistent, have a few more tries.

JTDistortion
Mar 28, 2010
Some people have had problems with that boss when using a spell that knocks back. I don't know the specifics, but if you're using any abilities that knock back it may be causing the crash.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Anyone knows where you're supposed to plant the Ent sapling on Vestlig? I've walked (not flown) all over it multiple times and I can't find the spot.

LIMBO KING
May 3, 2006

It's that time again. Undocumented change: Demon rage ball generation was fixed.

1c posted:

December 6 Update
A new update has been released on Steam. The list of improvements and fixes includes (см. русский список ниже):

Spells:
•HP decrease from Pygmy spell fixed.
•Damage from Avenging Angel spell fixed.
•The amount of charges of -100/0 type fixed.
•Precision spell now affects all shooting and throwing attacks (basic and talents).
•Precision spell does not give any melee bonuses.
•Sheep spell returns unit to the original form in case of a scripted death.
•Runic Word spell visual effect fixed.
•Chargers spell potential crash fixed.
•Color highlighting effect of Timelessness, Negation, Gift spells in a log fixed.
•Rune Chain spell hint fixed.
•Justice spell now considers the upper adrenaline level correctly; you can see the change in number of runes a unit has in the battle log.
•Freezing of Blizzard spell fixed.

Units:
•Ice Spider cannot do a shooting attack if theres an enemy unit nearby.
•Split talent takes into account Hypnosis spell that was cast at the original unit.
•Parameters changed for the Book of Evil unit.
•Cold resistance of Phoenix unit and its variants fixed.
•Bug fixed with different length of the shown unit effect and time the bonuses/penalty that effect had.
•The ignite probability of the Engineer unit (85% -> 15%) fixed.
•A potential bug with spells that modify unit damage, in case of cast over the same but active spell fixed.
•Displaying of the lowered damage at units under Magic Shield spell fixed.
•Fixed a bug with Skald unit target selection for Paean and Evil Taunt talents.
•Fixed variable probability of Burning post-effect for Engineer unit while attacking and counter attacking.
•Fixed variable probability of Poisoning post-effect for Alchemist unit while attacking and counter attacking.

Altars:
•Minimum amount of health for altars is fixed.
•Zero amount of health for altars in early locations is fixed.

Quests:
•Black spot: one of 4 endings didnt work correctly before.
•Stop Guilford: sometimes it was impossible to kill 4 stacks of undead on the beach.*
•Self-recording Apparatus: error with receiving runes twice is fixed.*
•Dragon-informant: error fixed for the cases when there was a dragon in the army.*

Other:
•Item corrected: Werewolf skin.
•Issue with inventory scrolling in backpack is fixed.
•Various mistakes in English texts are fixed.
•Issue with the skill Persuasion for combination of Elves and Demons races is fixed.

Polish version:
•Stub on the Save/load screen is fixed
•UI for world map is fixed.

Lakitu7 posted:

So now that I bought this, after the latest patch are all/most of the known major quest bugs fixed? Or are there still 40 more known gamebreakers and I should really keep waiting because of this whole "* does not apply to old saves" thing?

You might want to shelve this game and forget it exists for abit then, it seems for every bug they fix something else gets broken. I'm curious, was AP this buggy at release? I didn't play it until Crossworlds when it was finished being patched and I never had any problems with Legend. (Yeah I know Katauri didn't work on this one but this seems somewhat excessive.)

Speaking of which if you're in Demonis this patch has a gamebreaking save bug where your guy won't have a horse and the camera won't follow you. Here's two things to try from their forums:

quote:

thx. Solved the problem. As I played a lot in the demon-world and did not have older savegames (it's just too long ago that I played Gothic 3 ), I just walked to the border of the map, checked the automap and then continued moving blind with the arrow-keys to the teleporter. After switching there and back again, everything was fine again.
The reason why this happened, is also obvious: After the patch, the models were changed. You're on foot now. Just for anyone having the same issue: Try to hit one of the teleporters and everything's fine again.

-----

Another fix for the Demonis/Hades/etc. issue I just did.
In Steam, go to Library
Right-click KBWOTN and go to Properties
Click Betas
Choose "previousbuild - Nov12 build"
Click Close
Launch the game. It should be build 6246 instead of 6250. You should be back on the horse with a working camera
Exit to the overworld. Save into a new slot. Exit the game.
Go back to Steam, Properties, Beta
Choose None, then Close
Launch the game, it should show the newer build
Load the save game and re-enter the underworld. The character should be on foot with a working camera

LIMBO KING fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Dec 7, 2012

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Does Crossworlds obsolete Armored Princess? I've only played the original game.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

victrix posted:

Does Crossworlds obsolete Armored Princess? I've only played the original game.

Yeah, pretty much. Crossworlds is Armored Princess with some added bells and whistles.

I haven't gotten back to the WotN yet, I was hoping Magic would get better in this game. I guess it's not going to get back to the awesomeness it was in The Legend. Seems like they balanced it a bit too far in the other direction for my taste. Rage skills for the past two games have made the Warrior so unstoppable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
How's this game looking now? I was waiting til they got a large portion of bug fixes done before firing up a new game. Have they patched much since a month ago?

• Locked thread