Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Finally moved into a bigger house so I was able to add more leaning bookshelves. Now I just need better books to fill them up with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

vty posted:

The only things I've ever found that I think look good in a modern environment are extremely expensive, usually Herman Miller, Knoll, C&B, etc. George Nelson has some incredible designs.

I think CB2 and IKEA both make desks that can look really good in a well-crafted environment. Both of them are below DWR in terms of cost (particularly IKEA).

Maybe try digging around Apartment Therapy for ideas? I know they've put up some decent DIY stuff before too.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

rscott posted:

My inspection workstation.

Someone's listening to "Empros" (I listen to Russian Circles a lot at work - instrumental music is perfect for my environment).

alternate.eago
Jul 19, 2006
Insert randomness here.

CubanMissile posted:

Finally moved into a bigger house so I was able to add more leaning bookshelves. Now I just need better books to fill them up with.

I really like that style desk, however, be careful, if you have them on carpet, as they can shift and gouge the drywall (my old roommate got one after I pointed them out, and when he moved out, there were huge gouges in the drywall from where it had shifted ever so slightly).

Sill I love the way they look! What size monitor is that?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Parachute posted:

Someone's listening to "Empros" (I listen to Russian Circles a lot at work - instrumental music is perfect for my environment).

Yeah I listen to tons of math rock/post rock when I'm knocking out first article inspections.

Gangleider
Dec 17, 2012

hellO
(Sorry for the quality, phone cam)

My temporary setup until my room is finished:

Closeup of my *cringe* laptop:

The three PC's down below I got for free(friend works at a uni's IT department). They're pretty shite but everything has its use [:

Gangleider fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Dec 18, 2012

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

oogs posted:

Well, I'm not seeing any tearing w/ vsync on. I'm getting 20-40fps in ultra setting on PlanetSide2 at 3600x1920. The main limiter seems to be my CPU (the game tells me that).

Edit: A few hours later....

Ok, there's *some* tearing, but nothing bothersome, and nothing consistent. My GPU runs hotter w/ vsync on (expected), but that's about it. FPS are stable in the 20-40 range, 40-60 when not in combat.

2nd edit: Oh, I'm running in Full Screen Windows so I can alt tab to and from applications (mumble, monitoring tools). PS2 will still use up all available space, it's just technically in a border-less window.
Would you test it in legit full-screen mode with a game or settings that you can get more than 60FPS in? It would help me troubleshoot.

Vsync works for me in windowed mode, but not in fullscreen. (And crossfire works in Fullscreen, but not windowed; known limit)

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Just moved into a new apartment, getting a new computer desk and chair for Christmas from an uncle.

Not pictured is the 30ft of ethernet strung across the floor from the modem to this room. I highly doubt I can run the cable through the walls by drilling and stuff, so does anyone have any good ideas on how to hide/make this more convenient? I was just going to duct tape it above the doorways along the wall to this room instead of keeping it on the floor.

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
There's this new thing called wifi that might help.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
Go to home depot to the place they sell coax cable and look for these little things, and run it along the baseboards of your place.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000HSGM20

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

You could fish it under the carpet too

oogs
Dec 6, 2011

Dominoes posted:

Would you test it in legit full-screen mode with a game or settings that you can get more than 60FPS in? It would help me troubleshoot.

Vsync works for me in windowed mode, but not in fullscreen. (And crossfire works in Fullscreen, but not windowed; known limit)

Sure, I'll see if I can get that tonight.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Wario In Real Life posted:

There's this new thing called wifi that might help.

I prefer wired.

ColHannibal posted:

Go to home depot to the place they sell coax cable and look for these little things, and run it along the baseboards of your place.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000HSGM20

It crosses a doorway too, will that work going up and around the doorframe?

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
There should be a gap big enough between the door frame and the floor boards if you have carpet to snake it under.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

alternate.eago posted:

I really like that style desk, however, be careful, if you have them on carpet, as they can shift and gouge the drywall (my old roommate got one after I pointed them out, and when he moved out, there were huge gouges in the drywall from where it had shifted ever so slightly).

Sill I love the way they look! What size monitor is that?

No worries, it sits on wood floors and is pretty stable. It's a 27" monitor.

oogs
Dec 6, 2011

Dominoes posted:

I've been playing tf2 for a couple hours now, all maxed out, w/ vsync, real fullscreen. It rarely gets below 60fps. I am not seeing any tearing.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

oogs posted:

I've been playing tf2 for a couple hours now, all maxed out, w/ vsync, real fullscreen. It rarely gets below 60fps. I am not seeing any tearing.
Cool. Sounds like the problem may not be universal with ATI. You didn't get above FPS either, right? It's a solid 60?

oogs
Dec 6, 2011
Yeah, a solid 60. I can't find what's limiting it, but I'm not complaining.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

oogs posted:

vsync is limiting it, probably.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

My work mess from a few weeks ago, using the android panorama feature thingo. From the far left - old pc with 6 serial ports as a console server (centos), testing laptop (half decent i5), left most dell monitor connects to a nice little quad core i5 for labbing, other monitor MBP for mostly everything (synergy+ for sharing keyboard and mouse between the two), old IBM t30 running irssi (centos).

I don't really have a home setup, it's generally the MBP in my... lap. I've since moved the birdsnest of cables to a more appropriate place (the bin).

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

oogs posted:

Thanks for the help. I've wasted enough brain cells troubleshooting; hopefully switching to nvidia will fix it for me.

glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled
This is an awful derail but why is it a problem that you can't get above 60 FPS in a game? Can you perceive a real problem caused by vsync? (it's a good thing since it mitigates tearing, usually)

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

glompix posted:

This is an awful derail but why is it a problem that you can't get above 60 FPS in a game? Can you perceive a real problem caused by vsync? (it's a good thing since it mitigates tearing, usually)

Shhhh he's buying new hardware to fix an imaginary problem.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

glompix posted:

The problem is that vsync flat-out does not work. Doesn't work enabled in-game, or forced in drivers. I get bad tearing, and confirm vsync isn't working since my fps caps at 120fps on 60hz monitors. I asked Oogs if he got over 60 fps to confirm that vsync was indeed working properly for him, and he wasn't just not getting or noticing tearing.

Bucket Joneses posted:

Shhhh he's buying new hardware to fix an imaginary problem.
Tearing on portrait monitors is not an imaginary problem.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Dec 19, 2012

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

Rediscovered my deskspace after some careful rearranging... I know I need a new chair.

McOgre
Sep 19, 2011

The Legend of Groose

Yeah, I have a laptop paired with a monitor. I can't imagine that's very common. v:shobon:v I originally just had a laptop, then ended up getting a Windows tablet+dock and started using that for school instead, which turned my laptop into something I only used at home. So I got it a second monitor and turned it into a "desktop".

I really need a new desk though, it's really cramped now. And a new mousepad, that thing's filthy.

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome
Oct 2, 2004

McOgre posted:

Yeah, I have a laptop paired with a monitor. I can't imagine that's very common.

It's probably a lot more common than you think.

My work setup is exactly the same. I have a 27" Dell Ultrasharp connected to my laptop for everyday use. I plug in a mouse and keyboard though. If I need to head out somewhere, I just disconnect my USB hub, VGA cable, and network line, and I'm good to travel.

It helps to have two power supplies for a laptop. One of mine is wrapped up in the desk so I don't have to go under and plug it in all the time.

McOgre
Sep 19, 2011

The Legend of Groose

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome posted:

It's probably a lot more common than you think.

My work setup is exactly the same. I have a 27" Dell Ultrasharp connected to my laptop for everyday use. I plug in a mouse and keyboard though. If I need to head out somewhere, I just disconnect my USB hub, VGA cable, and network line, and I'm good to travel.

It helps to have two power supplies for a laptop. One of mine is wrapped up in the desk so I don't have to go under and plug it in all the time.

Oh I like the idea of a second power supply. I will definitely steal that if I need to start bringing my laptop out with me.

And I also have a wireless keyboard (actually it's sitting behind my monitor) that I use if I'm gaming or doing something else that involves a lot of typing.

I feel better knowing that there's other people with the same setup. Most people have just yelled at me to build an actual desktop.

glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled

McOgre posted:

Oh I like the idea of a second power supply. I will definitely steal that if I need to start bringing my laptop out with me.

And I also have a wireless keyboard (actually it's sitting behind my monitor) that I use if I'm gaming or doing something else that involves a lot of typing.

I feel better knowing that there's other people with the same setup. Most people have just yelled at me to build an actual desktop.

That's a really weird thing to yell, unless you're planning to do some serious(ly goony) gaming. Every developer and IT guy where I work has the same setup, though most don't even use the laptop screen anymore. Think about it as docking your laptop. In fact, a dock might be a good investment. It makes coming and going at work pretty easy.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

McOgre posted:

Just get a second power cord, the one that plugs into the brick. That way you can leave that at your desk and just take the brick with you, and keep another cord in your bag at all times.

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome
Oct 2, 2004

glompix posted:

That's a really weird thing to yell, unless you're planning to do some serious(ly goony) gaming. Every developer and IT guy where I work has the same setup, though most don't even use the laptop screen anymore. Think about it as docking your laptop. In fact, a dock might be a good investment. It makes coming and going at work pretty easy.

I honestly only use my laptop screen for Outlook and sometimes testing web coding, as it helps to code UIs to work with the laptop screen, as no-one else I make the apps for at my work has a 2560x1440 resolution.

McOgre
Sep 19, 2011

The Legend of Groose

glompix posted:

I have very goony friends. Plus I do do some gaming on my laptop and have to bump everything to the lowest quality to actually play, even though I have a fairly decent laptop. It's really not a big deal though, since I mostly stick to consoles.

edit: I mostly only use my monitor too. I usually keep Skype chats, or a video I want playing in the background on the laptop. It's also good for putting up reference images while drawing using the monitor.

McOgre fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Dec 21, 2012

glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome posted:

I honestly only use my laptop screen for Outlook and sometimes testing web coding, as it helps to code UIs to work with the laptop screen, as no-one else I make the apps for at my work has a 2560x1440 resolution.

Oh, my words suck. I meant use the laptop screen at all. As in, the laptop is shut and they have two full sized screens on an ergotron or something similar. I still just use my laptop screen since I'm a miser with other people's money, but point was that using a laptop as a desktop makes sense for many people.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

CubanMissile posted:

I will brook no criticism of Mind Over Matter, sir.

Mitsune
Jun 24, 2005

Dizeh posted:

*Gundam Wing Wallscroll*

YES.

Tasteful and Nostalgic. +1 Sir.

(And don't think i can't see that Trigun poster down the back there too!)
:unsmith: I know, right?
New desktop to celebrate the new year: :woop:

I'm attempting the minimalist route, but I completely fail in cable management. On the upside I have a great view in the background while I watch The Wire and play P4G. :v:

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

New desk for Christmas, still need to dust, still need some posters to put up. This move has made me lazy.

Also, roommate wants to string lights up on the wall for some reason.

oogs
Dec 6, 2011

Dominoes posted:

Small update: in PS2, in ultra, at 3600x1920... I'm seeing tearing when I drive around in a vehicle. It's very noticeable. It only happens when the terrain is changing quickly though. I am GPU bound more often than I'm CPU bound, but I am seeing improvements from the game side of things. Lets see if the next round of driver updates help as well...

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

Latest iteration of the His/Hers office.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

WorkingStiff posted:

Latest iteration of the His/Hers office.

if you loved her you would buy her matching monitors :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

She does have matching monitors. She's on the left.