Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.
The first Uncharted game (and the second) plays much better when you run and gun, rather than stop and pop. Grab a shotgun and get right into the enemy's face. Hipfire works relatively well with most weapons, and usually prevents someone from shooting you until you get up on them. There is even a specific combo that has you soften an enemy with a gun and finish them with melee. Alternatively, getting right up to someone and doing a Brutal Combo (melee) will give you extra ammo. When you slow Uncharted down to a "take cover, shoot until the screen is red, re-enter cover, regenerate, repeat" kind of game the pacing suffers and all the issues with the gunplay magnify.

Now, that being said, the crashed plane encounter and the "blue room" are garbage regardless of how you're playing them and just have to be endured.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

ToxicFrog posted:

Oh thank god, it's not just me. The Uncharted games get so much praise I was starting to wonder if I was going insane.

U1's last few levels and final boss were so terrible that they killed any interest in the series for me, but if U2 is that much better I may at least rent it.

The first I felt was passable, since I really liked the twist. The 2nd is easily the best one, but I find the third one to be the worst.

Kneel Before Zog
Jan 16, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Should I play UC2 if I played UC3 and found it very lackluster, besides the graphics which were absolutely amazing to my eyes. The first half of UC3 was fine, but towards the end game I found the gameplay getting stale and the story being the worst part about the game.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I'm not too far into Xenoblade Chronicles, so you got anything for me on that front?

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Ok, let's do this. Barkley Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden, is there anything I absolutely need to know?

I know nothing about it apart from there's a kickstarter for a sequel and it has something to do with the movie Space Jam. I think I saw that movie at least 6 times in grade 5, all at seperate birthday parties. :psyduck:

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Kneel Before Zog posted:

Should I play UC2 if I played UC3 and found it very lackluster, besides the graphics which were absolutely amazing to my eyes. The first half of UC3 was fine, but towards the end game I found the gameplay getting stale and the story being the worst part about the game.

2 is way better than 3. I felt like 3 was a step back in almost every way.

TheUkuleleFanboy
Sep 2, 2011

Fruits of the sea posted:

Ok, let's do this. Barkley Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden, is there anything I absolutely need to know?

I know nothing about it apart from there's a kickstarter for a sequel and it has something to do with the movie Space Jam. I think I saw that movie at least 6 times in grade 5, all at seperate birthday parties. :psyduck:

-There are a few dialogue choices where you can choose to be charitable/nice, you don't want to be charitable or nice. The post-cyberapocalypse is tough
-On one side quest involving negotiations be sure to completely favor one side or the other, don't try to be neutral.
-When you're writing a poem choose the most emotionless and robotic choices for every line.
-You can aim the laser attack of one your party members by using the arrow keys.
-If you can't jam with the best, then slam with the rest.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Lizard Wizard posted:

I'm not too far into Xenoblade Chronicles, so you got anything for me on that front?

Talk to all the townspeople a few times each, even at different times throughout the day.
Use the combo attack system as much as possible. You get more XP and drops when you kill guys with it.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Spalec posted:

Is there any reason to keep a hold of the treasure I find and not sell them as soon as possible? Are they worth more if I sell them later?

Whats a good weapon to give to Sheva? She's only using the pistol currently despite here having a Rifle and 45-odd rounds. And which weapons should I work on upgrading first?

-As answered before, sell all treasure. That's what it's there for.
-Give Sheva whatever you don't want to use.
-All the "starter" weapons in each category unlock a super awesome final weapon when they're fully upgraded. The pistol (M92F) unlocks the Raffica, the shotgun (Ithaca M37) unlocks the Hydra, the machine gun (VZ61) unlocks Chris's minigun, the rifle (S75) unlocks Sheva's stupidly powerful Long Bow, and the magnum (S&W M29) unlocks the S&W M500 hand cannon.
-Also as previously stated, the easiest/cheapest way to kill any standard zombie is a kneecap shot or two and then a kick to the head. Pretty much every type of monster can be opened up to a devastating melee attack.
-You can find a free rocket launcher in the swamp. It's a one hit kill on anything, even bosses.
-If you can beat the game in under 3 hours on any difficulty, you get a rocket launcher with unlimited ammo. :aaa:
-There's a boss fight about 3/4 of the way through the game that you either have to win or survive five minutes. Against Wesker in a temple.
-Further spoilers for stuff to find during the fight: The most expensive treasure in the game will reveal itself if you can "beat" Wesker. Damage him enough to daze him, then beat him up with a series of QTE melee attacks. Do that a couple times to win. Additionally there's a whole side area behind a busted gate you can only access during the fight that you can find a bunch of treasures and stuff in.

Yoshi Jjang
Oct 5, 2011

renard renard renarnd renrard

renard

TheUkuleleFanboy posted:

Come on, this is bad advice.

It's supposed to be, "If you can't slam with the best, then jam with the rest."

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Ainsley McTree posted:

As far as actual AC1 advice goes, the only thing I can think of is that you can counterattack with the hidden blades for an instant kill on most enemies. The timing is much less forgiving and you can't block, so if you screw it up you get hit, but it can be worth it if you get it down pat. I didn't figure out you could do that until my second play through (yes I played it more than once, but that was before AC2 came out). Of course, you have to wait until you actually unlock counterattacks before you start doing this.

Having played AC1 like, five times, it's actually an instant kill on ANYONE. From the first guard you come across to the absolute final boss of the game. Countering with the hidden blade means death.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Lizard Wizard posted:

The wiki has some good info already, I would echo the points on rotating your party (and definitely switching the character you're actually controlling) and not doing every single sidequest for the sake of your own sanity. You could probably just look up which sidequests give the best rewards/earn you the most "fame" in a given area and be fine. Also, for time-sensitive quests it's easy to tell when a certain event will end that quest's timer.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Kneel Before Zog posted:

UC2 is infinitely better. The story and set pieces are sooooo much better it is scary. I bought UC2 on release and still play through it every few months. I bought UC3 on release, beat it, and sold it all within a week. The best part of UC3 was the plane flight level, and even that you had very little actual control over.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Spalec posted:

Any tips for resident evil 5? I really suck currently, I'm all thumbs with the controls.

The best advice is to play co-op. The game is so much better when you have someone else to play Sheva.

Beyond that, use whatever weapons you like. The first time through I beat the game with all the shittiest weapons because they fit my playstyle - don't feel like you have to use the highest damage or biggest number guns.

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

Velho! posted:

- Red Dead Redemption

Don't use fast travel.

More detail: There are different types of "encounters" that can happen out in the wild. You will miss out on them if you abuse the fast travel

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

Fruits of the sea posted:

it has something to do with the movie Space Jam. I think I saw that movie at least 6 times in grade 5, all at seperate birthday parties. :psyduck:
It's the sequel to what most consider the greatest basketball/cartoon crossover movie ever made. :colbert:

It also has one of the greatest theme songs in video game history.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWKQiZVBtu4

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Silent Hill Downpour.

I just started and it feels really weird. Does the combat ever start to feel right? I love Silent Hill but the game feels sorta busted so far. I'm in the caves at this point.

Cooking Magpie
Jul 25, 2012
Does anybody have any advice for Lux Pain? I had to restart after doing the second timed mission and was wondering if I could have done anything better at the beginning chapters to get a better friendship score with your friends.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

TheUkuleleFanboy posted:

Yoshi Jjang posted:

It's supposed to be, "If you can't slam with the best, then jam with the rest."

Thanks guys, I'll try :ohdear:

Velho!
Sep 12, 2011

Lizard Wizard posted:

Use this Docs a lot. This game is so insanely long and there is so much to do, that if you want to search for people without reference, you will most likely get frustrated/bored.

If you don't enjoy backtracking on what you just saw, exploring isn't exactly the first thing you should do when you come to a new area. Try to find the people on it that give out the quests and THEN explore.

If you save and load a game, the monsters will respawn. Some named monsters may take a few tries, but will respawn as well. The treasures that they drop will also be different everytime you open them up. So if you want a particular rare item a monster drops, you can save before you open it and keep loading until you get what you need.
Drops (as in the blue things you pick up) also respawn, but take a minute or something to appear after you load.

If you want to kill monsters that are red to you, but seem doable, equip the Night Vision Goggles gems and fight them at night. You should be able to at least hit them now. You might be able to do this more effectively once you make Melia strong enough.

Once you have Dunban, check out his skills. Think of the concept Naked Dunban, and know it is effective.

Enjoy it a lot. This game took away 130 hours of my life and by the end I still had that healthy feeling of wanting more, but with a very satisfying finale.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Velho! posted:

- Red Dead Redemption

About a third of the way through the game, there will be a mission where you travel on a raft. After you get off the raft, your character will get on a horse automatically. Do NOT get off this horse or fast travel. You'll thank me when you get there.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Lord Chumley posted:

Don't use fast travel.

More detail: There are different types of "encounters" that can happen out in the wild. You will miss out on them if you abuse the fast travel

While I agree with ^^this, if you're playing through the game in a hurry it's useful to remember that you can fast travel to any waypoint you set on the map, not just to towns.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
(RDR)
On the other hand while there's a lot to see and do in the world, don't feel that fast travel should never be used under any circumstances.

It's been a while since I played it, and I might have not done the raft thing as advised, so can someone (in spoiler text obviously) tell me what happens with it?)

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It's been a while since I played it, and I might have not done the raft thing as advised, so can someone (in spoiler text obviously) tell me what happens with it?)

As you're riding into Mexico, this song plays. It's a nice song, appropriate and atmospheric. If you get off the horse (which I did right away when I did it -- oops) the song stops and will not start back up. It basically just ruins a nice moment.

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.

Lizard Wizard posted:

If you actually care about completing all the social stuff just use a guide because it's pretty loving obtuse. This is probably a solid 20-30% of my playtime. It's pretty loving ridiculous, but also sort of necessary to unlock the 4th and 5th skill branches for each character.

Also, when you get the fifth player character in your party be sure to manually control them. It was hard to give up controlling Shulk all the time, but the AI is loving terrible with the fifth character.

Also, gem crafting is pretty worthless until you get at least rank 2 gems, but probably more so until rank 3. The gems you get from crafting early on are lovely and you won't have any clue how to do it right (and the really good shooter/engineer combos require later characters). Look up the 'MEGA HEAT Gem Crafting Guide' video on Youtube once you've got all six dudes since it has some character spoilers.

Also, Naked Dunban, while funny I find isn't quite as useful as clothed Dunban with +50 agility and zero armor weight from skills.

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

Velho! posted:

- Assassin's Creed 1, 2
- Red Dead Redemption
- Uncharted series
- L.A. Noire

EDIT: We will be having limited time to play them, so we probably won't be able to do them all. Any priorities ideas?

Red Dead Redemption is definitely the best out of these games. Make sure you play it. Also, AssCreed2 is objectively better than 1, so if short on time just read the story for 1 and get into 2.

LA Noire: As stated before, you still progress even if you "lose" a case, so don't read a guide for your first playthrough, just go with your gut. Also, this isn't GTA, so follow traffic laws. Hitting pedestrians/vehicles/lampposts will adversely affect your score at the end, if you care about that sort of thing.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Anything for Half-Minute Hero: Super Mega Neo Climax Ultimate Boy?

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
Can someone fill me in on Darksiders 2 plus DLC? Especially when to do the DLC.

TheresNoThyme
Nov 23, 2012
SMT: Strange Journey: I've done okay with a bunch of SMT games so I doubt I will find any of the fights unconquerable but are there any secrets/ending paths that are at the you-must-not-miss-this level? If I'm only going to play through the game once, are there any alignments I should outright avoid due to low quality endings?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

TheresNoThyme posted:

SMT: Strange Journey: I've done okay with a bunch of SMT games so I doubt I will find any of the fights unconquerable but are there any secrets/ending paths that are at the you-must-not-miss-this level? If I'm only going to play through the game once, are there any alignments I should outright avoid due to low quality endings?

The Chaos ending is both dumber and easier than the other two. Stick with either Law or Neutral if you're only going through once.

TheresNoThyme
Nov 23, 2012

Artix74 posted:

The Chaos ending is both dumber and easier than the other two. Stick with either Law or Neutral if you're only going through once.

Thanks! I'm glad I asked, I actually was considering chaos since Jimenez seems like the chaos option and he seems like the most interesting character so far (at Bootes sector now). I'll just stay neutral and see if anything major happens to change my mind.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
What should I know about Resident Evil 6 without any spoilers?

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Bigass Moth posted:

What should I know about Resident Evil 6 without any spoilers?

-There are zombies.

-Kill the zombies.

-Try not to die.

-Wesker is overrated.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
In Dungeon Siege III should I do the DLC right when it opens up or should I wait til closer to the end of the game?

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III
Anything for Anno 2070? Also, is there any particular dlc I should get?

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!
Just picked up Awesomenauts. Do you have to level up characters or something to stand a chance? I just started and I can't kill anything at all and enemies can kill me in 2 shots. The first match I played lasted 30 minutes until the game crashed and there wasn't an end in sight so I'm not looking forward to dying a hundred times and playing a ton of super long matches just to stand a chance. Is there something I'm doing wrong? The cowboy starter character with the little popgun doesn't seem to do any decent damage. Maybe I just suck?

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Ez posted:

Just picked up Awesomenauts. Do you have to level up characters or something to stand a chance? I just started and I can't kill anything at all and enemies can kill me in 2 shots. The first match I played lasted 30 minutes until the game crashed and there wasn't an end in sight so I'm not looking forward to dying a hundred times and playing a ton of super long matches just to stand a chance. Is there something I'm doing wrong? The cowboy starter character with the little popgun doesn't seem to do any decent damage. Maybe I just suck?

Awesomenauts is a bit unbalanced of a zergfest in my opinion but there are a few things you can do to make your life easier. Some characters rely on their basic attack but last time I played you should be leveling up the cowboys dynamite skills. You can do this back at base near where you spawn. In the beginning play passively as its better to gain currency than risk death.

Take this with a grain of salt though, as its not my preference of games for a Dota clone

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
Are there any sweet mods for KoTOR1? I just picked up both in the sale. I know there's that new-ish restored content mod for the second one, but I don't know of anything for the first.

Mister Xenophobe
Feb 2, 2008
Just got Frozen Synapse gifted to me on Steam, and I'm well and truly stuck near the beginning of the campaign, any general advice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PRL412
Sep 11, 2007

... ... MINE

Mister Xenophobe posted:

Just got Frozen Synapse gifted to me on Steam, and I'm well and truly stuck near the beginning of the campaign, any general advice?

The wiki page has some great general advice, which boils down to 'Get used to the micromanagement by doing the tutorial and a couple skirmishes'. You will end up using all of your controls at some point, and they will save you. Learning the controls and abusing the preview function are half the game (don't trust preview 100% even if you get the kill, but dying means try some other tactics). The other half is changing your tactics in response to different objectives and enemy types.

Unless you want to uncover your own solution, ask in here for specifics or check for a youtube playthrough to get yourself unstuck.