Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Krad posted:

Figures that the newest game with the best character designs is the one they refuse to release (Versus).
I don't think it's that they refuse to release it so much as the game barely actually exists because Nomura is terrible at directing

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Renoistic posted:

I can't really say if this is better or worse than the 13-2 outfit. And that outfit was crap.

Looking at this new monstrosity makes her XIII-2 design look good.

Krad posted:

Figures that the newest game with the best character designs is the one they refuse to release (Versus).

Do those even count as designs? They're normal people in normal suits.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Momomo posted:

Do those even count as designs? They're normal people in normal suits.

That's the point. We're being freed from the shackles of well...

And honestly, them being dressed in mostly normal gear will probably help them stick out as a JRPG, when the market is saturated with Nomura-esque designs.
The idea of that is pretty loving weird. :psyduck:

[e]: Yeah.
VVV

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Dec 18, 2012

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
Weren't the character's outfits in Versus designed by actual fashion designers? That explains why they're not so ridiculous.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
25 years is a really long time to have a running series. Happy birthday Final Fantasy!

Hahahahahahahaha.

It's like they took the armor from Mass Effect and merged it with the Assassin's Creed outfit.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Don't worry, it falls off as she takes damage from enemies.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???

Aureon posted:

The only thing constant about any new final fantasy is that people will bitch about it, and the bitching scales exponentially with the number of previous FFs they played.

there will also be good music

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

TurnipFritter posted:

Don't worry, it falls off as she takes damage from enemies.

Oh come on. What kind of director would allow that in a ga- oh yeah, Toriyama.
But don't worry, he's being aided by Daisuke Watanabe, a.k.a, why Kingdom Hearts is such a clusterfuck.

Jack Ratigan
Jan 26, 2005

...Ok
Hrmm.. I.

Hrmm.

That outfit really needs a helmet or something to tie it together better. Looks like her head is floating over a spiky void. Just go full on dragoon and add a closed helmet and ditch the exposed fleshy bits.

Or something.

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Something ironic, I'm certain
Happy birthday, Final Fantasy! May you one day escape the clutches of the madmen who possess you.

Pesky Splinter posted:

Is Nomura having another mid-life crisis or something? Less a mixture, and more of a cluster gently caress.

Nomura's designs have always been ridiculous. The Massassin's Effect outfit is just a new flavour.

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.

Spermando posted:

Tacky as gently caress, but still better than whatever the hell she was wearing last time we saw her.

It's almost endearing to see Nomura struggle to find outside influences, by which I mean he just looks at games that are popular and takes... quarter styles? Half styles? I don't even know what the gently caress is going on with her arms here.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

It looks like Nomura took a bunch of Transformers toys apart and then stuck a Barbie head on top.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Spermando posted:

Tacky as gently caress, but still better than whatever the hell she was wearing last time we saw her.

:stare:
Also: Belt count, zero? Closest thing I see are each pauldron being held on by 1 strap.

Also can someone explain why we should care about Lightning, let alone why she warrants a trilogy? I get that Square burned a lot of money on the engine but make something else for fucks sake. Make a Final Fantasy game where you play through as Ultros, Gilgamesh, and Chupon.

ImpAtom posted:

"Health reasons" in Japanese business speak is usually code for someone doing something which causes them to be pretty much obligated to leave, hidden under a guise of politeness. Something went on behind the scenes but the reasoning isn't clear.

He wanted to make good games. Square wanted to make FF13 and 14 while sticking Vaan in to FF12 to appeal to kids. God could only be so kind as to give him full rights and control to Ivalice and the Ogre Battle IP.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
That's certainly... a design? I dunno, it doesn't feel as ridiculous as some of the other stuff he's done so I'm just sort of desensitized to it.

...Oh god, what does that say about me that I'm not put off by this bad design?

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

Also: Belt count, zero? Closest thing I see are each pauldron being held on by 1 strap.

They spent the belt budget on capes.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

ShadeofDante posted:

It's almost endearing to see Nomura struggle to find outside influences, by which I mean he just looks at games that are popular and takes... quarter styles? Half styles? I don't even know what the gently caress is going on with her arms here.

Does it even count as taking their style? It's more like he just made a collage of stolen stuff.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Also can someone explain why we should care about Lightning, let alone why she warrants a trilogy? I get that Square burned a lot of money on the engine but make something else for fucks sake. Make a Final Fantasy game where you play through as Ultros, Gilgamesh, and Chupon.

I assume that because they spent so much making and pushing for XIII, they need to make their money back while keeping in the theme. She wasn't really all that important to XIII, but she was the closest to a main character, so they awkwardly turned her into a god or something. They couldn't afford making a new character (or even a new IP) because people might not take a liking to it. With Lightning, at least they know how people responded to her.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Doesn't Lightning have a pretty big following over in Japan? I mean it's not like they lost money from XIII and XIII-2, they made their money back well enough, so it just seems more like they're marketing a character who's actually rather people, kind of like they did with the leadup to XIII-2 where she was featured very heavily in the promotion of the game.

She's also one of the decent characters in XIII of the main cast, if you were gonna make a game about any one of them Lightning and Sazh would probably be the best choices.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Don't worry everyone, I'm sure they'll sell you something more/less sensible to wear for a buck or two.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Evil Fluffy posted:

:stare:

Now that you mention it, I don't remember there being any belts in XIII or XIII-2. Huh.

Also, fun fact: Gilgamesh was supposed to be a fal'Cie in the original XIII. They scrapped that because... um... dunno, but it sounded pretty cool. Still happy with the DLC they made. :eng101:

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Fight Club Sandwich posted:

there will also be good music

This is why I will keep buying FF games.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I honestly don't know why I keep buying FF games.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tempo 119 posted:

Don't worry everyone, I'm sure they'll sell you something more/less sensible to wear for a buck or two.

I am the bad person because if they sold "less stupid" outfits for video game characters I would buy them in a second.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Um.. wow. For me this has to be the worst outfit I've seen. Its like she's wearing a corset, panties, a cape, and you remember back in the day how kids would use the arms of their jackets to wrap their jacket around their waist? It looks like she did that then cut off the entire backside of said jacket. I can't even tell what the gently caress is supposed to be on her arms.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

ImpAtom posted:

I am the bad person because if they sold "less stupid" outfits for video game characters I would buy them in a second.

I assume you bought Serah's White Mage outfit the second it showed up? God knows I did, though her "Style and Steel" outfit or whatever it was called wasn't too bad.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Isn't that the reason Serah gets a White Mage costume? I can't imagine having to play the game without that at least :downs:

edit: Darn you

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Artix74 posted:

I assume you bought Serah's White Mage outfit the second it showed up? God knows I did, though her "Style and Steel" outfit or whatever it was called wasn't too bad.

I actually finished the game before it went on sale. :smith:

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Alright, who let Rube Goldberg in here?

ImpAtom posted:

I actually finished the game before it went on sale. :smith:

Me too :smith:

I would have bought it within the first month or two. Be faster with your silly dlc, Square!

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

What the gently caress is up with her elongated noodle arms? :psyduck:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Finally finished FF2 on iOS, including the bonus dungeon. I think it was only possible due to having leveled so heavily in the main gain when I had Minwe, as he went in to the post game with about 1200hp and 390mp in addition to the defensive spells all being 8+ except wall.

The difficulty was still all over the loving place and if the intro fight hadn't dropped a Yoichi bow (and 2 poison axes by the time I got Ricard) I'd have been hosed because Scott's underwhelming and Josef was a useless wimp with >500hp and only mithril helm/gloves and gold armor, so a bunch of stuff would just one shot him. Having Scott use axes until I went and grinded up swords (not that wing swords are any good but eventually I got a sun sword and Wild Rose) and for awhile daggers because Cat Claws were the only thing he could inflict damage with until I went and leveled berserk/aura/haste on the not-minwe characters.

Overall it was just a bunch of grinding, but once you can manage to reach the chest with each character's weapon and the genji gear everything's pretty much over at that point. Wild Rose casts Berserk lvl 16 when used in combat and at that point everyone can just melee and one-shot 90% of enemies. Those weapons alone made the final battle easier than in the main game when not abusing the blood sword because Wild Rose put damage through the roof and Ricard being the highest HP at 3.6k (vs Guy being around 8.5k and Firion pushing 5.5k) meant the emperor wouldn't have been able to melee someone to heal for 5k damage.

Finally on FFD now, but was a bit disappointed with how short chapter 1 was. It wasn't much longer than the prologue (1hr vs 1.5hrs maybe). The game's supposed to be a good 40+ hours right? Currently at 5.5 hrs and just got Ramuh.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
Just wanted to remind everyone that they said Lightning will have multiple costumes, akin to different "classes." We'll see if she gets better ones.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Azure_Horizon posted:

Just wanted to remind everyone that they said Lightning will have multiple costumes, akin to different "classes." We'll see if she gets better ones.

Sort of like a dressphere spin on the Paradigm Shift. I could be down with that.

Johnny Cage
Sep 7, 2004

Doin' big things
In XIII-2, is there any reason I shouldn't be using "Potent" monster materials over Power/Vitality/Mana ones? At this point in the game (Ch. 3), the potent materials cost the exact same as the power/vitality/mana ones, and give all the benefits of each. Am I missing something here? I understand that there's not too much of a point in upgrading my Cait Sith's strength, but is there any added advantage to using a mana droplet in this case over a potent one?

The only reason I can think of is later in the game, higher-rank potent materials get expensive/rare.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

Johnny Cage posted:

In XIII-2, is there any reason I shouldn't be using "Potent" monster materials over Power/Vitality/Mana ones? At this point in the game (Ch. 3), the potent materials cost the exact same as the power/vitality/mana ones, and give all the benefits of each. Am I missing something here? I understand that there's not too much of a point in upgrading my Cait Sith's strength, but is there any added advantage to using a mana droplet in this case over a potent one?

The only reason I can think of is later in the game, higher-rank potent materials get expensive/rare.

You get a boost to the stat the material goes to which is great for focusing on it's classes strengths, and when you hit the big bubbles you get a way bigger boost to the stat of your choice.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
That and they're rarer and less cost effective if you just want to level up. IIRC you can't even buy potent mats after the first one or two tiers until very late in the game (or not at all? haven't played XIII-2 in a while).

In general they're better except for eg. sentinel monsters you only switch in occasionally, or healers (although healers still need to survive hits sometimes). If you check some guides they're telling you to do stuff like "normal levelups with potent mats, big levelups with specific ones" depending on the monster and its purpose.

orcane fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Dec 19, 2012

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Johnny Cage posted:

You should only worry about stuff like that in the post game, when you actually need stronger monsters for the DLC bosses that you might not even have cause, yeah, DLC. The characters end up fine if you level them with Potent materials as well.

Johnny Cage
Sep 7, 2004

Doin' big things
What I mean is, are potent materials "weaker" than say the strength/mana/vitality?

For example, if I have a COM monster, I mostly care about strength. If I level it with nothing but potent materials, will my overall strength stat be the same as if I used nothing but strength materials. Or will it be less?

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
No, if you leveled a monster with nothing but Potent poo poo it would end up better no matter what your focus was.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Johnny Cage posted:

What I mean is, are potent materials "weaker" than say the strength/mana/vitality?

For example, if I have a COM monster, I mostly care about strength. If I level it with nothing but potent materials, will my overall strength stat be the same as if I used nothing but strength materials. Or will it be less?

Potent materials have less of a focus on any one stat, which is why you level COM monsters with Power mats and RAV monsters with Mana mats, etc. Potent is basically the balance between the two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Azure_Horizon posted:

So it's a S-E game, third in its series, and has a female protagonist with multiple costumes...