Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tucked In The Cut
Nov 15, 2006

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I'd rather brush my teeth
with a rusty razor
than front and bullshit
with all you fakers

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hm, the nurse in Phantom Dust was named Mikan too. Is Mikan some type of Japanese Nurse name, Oren, or is it just coincidence?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shark Tower
Dec 31, 2008
Man, even before the K-On reference, Ibuki was already my favorite character. She better stick it out till the end (which I think is pretty likely, based solely on how many unique sprites she has compared to everyone else so far).

As for Mikan, she's definitely going to kill someone. SHSL Nurse? That's a recipe for murder if I've ever seen one.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Yukitsu posted:

I think my Yandere detector just pinged "yes" on that nurse.

Where can I get my own array of anime sensors?

Amidiri
Apr 26, 2010
So,

What's with the giant line down her left leg? Is that a scar? It doesn't seem to be part of her clothing, at the very least. It doesn't show up in her sprite, but her sprite is only waist-up...

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!

Shark Tower posted:

Man, even before the K-On reference, Ibuki was already my favorite character. She better stick it out till the end (which I think is pretty likely, based solely on how many unique sprites she has compared to everyone else so far).
If I remember right both Yamada and Ishimaru were two of the characters who had the most sprites compared to everybody else(I think Asahina had the most) and both ended up dead in the same chapter so I don't think it matters.

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I really like how all the characters have their own symbols, even if they don't really play a part in the story of the game. Our protagonist's symbol caught my eye;

If you mirror it (and use a bit of imagination) it looks like a skull, doesn't it?

I wouldn't read too much into that though since like I said their symbols never really meant anything in the game. I just found it neat.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Amidiri posted:

So,

What's with the giant line down her left leg? Is that a scar? It doesn't seem to be part of her clothing, at the very least. It doesn't show up in her sprite, but her sprite is only waist-up...

It's actually a giant mouth that opens up and eats poo poo but you don't find that out until Chapter 3 when she uses it to murder the main character.

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

I hear that most licensed psychologists can diagnose for autism.

BTA
Sep 30, 2012
Ok, I just caught up after a few days and... I can't believe I had no idea that Sugita voiced a character in this game. That's definitely one way to hold my interest in something. And Ai Kayano as well, among others. I certainly wasn't as excited about the voice actors last time around.

Though, of course, this'll make any early deaths that much more annoying.

Anyway, Ibuki's pretty interesting. I expected her to be a musician, but the light music club aspect was a bit of a surprise. Even with the K-ON jokes she seems more like Death Devil than HTT, as SOL_Cambot already brought up.

I'm sorta surprised that people are reacting so strongly to Mikan, though I guess I'm a bit more used to that kind of thing? In any case, I'm guessing that given how clumsy and lost she seems to be normally, she'll become intensely concentrated while working. I mean, being able to think of tons of different ways a conversation could proceed to the point of getting confused is a problem, but it could be turned into a helpful skill when trying to think of the best way to treat someone in an emergency.

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

I got mine by leveling up in rogue, taking all the trap sense feats. After learning to detect traps, I branched off.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Amidiri posted:

So,

Girl's got weird taste in guitars

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

dog days are over posted:

I really like how all the characters have their own symbols, even if they don't really play a part in the story of the game. Our protagonist's symbol caught my eye;

If you mirror it (and use a bit of imagination) it looks like a skull, doesn't it?

I wouldn't read too much into that though since like I said their symbols never really meant anything in the game. I just found it neat.

Leon, the first killer, had a bloody skull as his symbol.

If trends hold, that means we'll be killing a whole lot of people. :colbert:

SgtKirby
Nov 19, 2012
Gundam Tanaka official art remind me of Strider Hiryu's level 1 hyper in Ultimate Marvel VS Capcom 3. Instead of robot animals, he send real animals into battle.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ri07ms8G3wc

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:
They really upped the number of sprites each character has before it was like 2 or 3.

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

Giggily posted:

I hear that most licensed psychologists can diagnose for autism.

Good rule of thumb, diagnose for dependent personality disorder for Yandere and borderline personality disorder for Tsundere. Expect a wide association with other anxiety disorders in both cases. Kuudere is an anime thing, but doesn't translate into anything that makes sense in psychological terms, as any situation where blunted affect is present is likely to be associated with disorders favouring isolation, such as schizotypal behavior, schizophrenia or depression.

Disclaimer: Don't apply any of this to real life.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
welp, neither of these ones seems much more that what they appear to be on the outside yet, but as we learned from DR1, first impressions are both accurate and completely utterly wrong. I think, or maybe hope that Mikan is a DOUBLE-SUBVERSION. I think the designers have to be aware that any sane mystery afficianado would probably peg her as a likely murderer based on how mentally unstable she appears to be, and because it goes with Dangan Ronpa's trend of fake-outs and defiance of expectations. So my hope is that she ends up undergoing significant character development, and becoming a heroic character, which is never what you'd expect to happen. Also because it would be nice to have a medical professional on the side of justice.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!

Spatula City posted:

any sane mystery afficianado would probably peg her as a likely murderer based on how mentally unstable she appears to be

Well, look at you, Mr. Judgmental, pegging characters that have only really shown themselves to be extremely, incredibly, painfully shy and poorly-socialized as unstable.

We know jack poo poo about anyone and are barely into day 1, c'mon.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

SirKibbles posted:

They really upped the number of sprites each character has before it was like 2 or 3.

I'm not sure that it's a matter of having more sprites as it is being more aggressive with using the crazier ones. Most characters in DR1 easily had half a dozen or so, but they didn't pull out the extreme ones very often.

Noumena
Mar 18, 2008

Saeku posted:

Mikan reminds me a lot of Ryouko Otonashi, so far. They have the same hair texture and facial shape. Both characters laugh at inappropriate times using the same onomatopoeia, and they have low self-esteem and a ridiculous desire to please. Plus Mikan is a nurse and Ryouko is in the neurology building in the chapter we read (although she might be coming to get help with her memory, not to study.)

Agreeing with this. Mikan instantly reminded me of Ryouko, specifically her hair, face, and the fact that she keeps trying so hard to remember things but forgetting them anyway. Maybe it's just the wording of the translation, and maybe she's just THAT painfully shy, but Mikan's dialogue keeps specifying that she's forgetting various things. Also neurology building etc.

If they're not, in fact, sisters or the same person, then they seem to be related in some way.

Also, predicting that Protagonist McAntennahead is going to be killed first and NotNaegi will take over. (Mostly just wishful thinking because I would love to be thrown for a loop like that.)

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

doomfunk posted:

Well, look at you, Mr. Judgmental, pegging characters that have only really shown themselves to be extremely, incredibly, painfully shy and poorly-socialized as unstable.

We know jack poo poo about anyone and are barely into day 1, c'mon.

Well, the terrible haircut and bandages could be her being horribly accident-prone, but the obvious alternative interpretation is that she's got a tendency towards self-harm.

Radio
Jul 25, 2003

Oh no, trash bear!
Hinata is SHSL House.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Noumena posted:

Also, predicting that Protagonist McAntennahead is going to be killed first and NotNaegi will take over. (Mostly just wishful thinking because I would love to be thrown for a loop like that.)

That would be an amazing twist, actually. We've already had the "supposed love interest as first victim" twist in the first game, so a decoy protagonist would be a good way to up the ante. Since both Hinata and Nagito have been going around introducing themselves to the other characters, it'd be interesting if that was done to conceal the identity of the real protagonist.

Of course, they'd still have to explain what the deal was with Hinata's talent, and they already used the "early victim was the mastermind/working with the mastermind" card with Junko/Mukuro.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Oren, I am not at all qualified to tell you how to write your own LP but maybe you could try to fit in more than two character introductions per update? If only because the thread seems bound and determined to psychoanalyze every single character and it's a little silly when all we have are a few sprites and a character introduction.

MechanicalTomPetty fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Dec 19, 2012

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.
New characters!

Mikan. Hmm. I don't like that character archetype at all... but they've played into it so blatantly that I strongly suspect a subversion in the wings. They've already played the yandere card with Fukawa-Syo, so maybe she's the opposite of Fukawa - instead of madness masked by unpleasantness, perhaps she has strength of character disguised behind shyness? I don't know if that follows, but I like the sound of it.

I expect she'll survive a few chapters, just long enough for us to get attached, and then be murdered.

Ibuki is fun; she's got Hagakure's personality married to Leon's style. Given that fully a third of the DR1 survivors were Smilin' Fools, I give her good odds. (The flow of the game virtually requires it - without any dopes, there's nobody to explain things to in excruciating detail.)

DeathBySpoon posted:

Anyways, I like Hinata a lot. He manages to have more personality than Naegi did. Nagito continues to somehow be even more suspicious here. I mean really:

I really want to see what they do with him, but I think it's pretty dang clear that he isn't Naegi. The more we see of him, the more his personality completely diverges.

Agreed. I imagine that's deliberate - the game conditions us to expect Naegi Mk II and then slowly but surely cranks up the dissonance. Naegi wasn't much of a joker to begin with, and I can't imagine he would have ever joked about someone dying, even before his Despair Academy experience.

Wolery posted:

I'm really liking how this update emphasizes the difference between our two protagonists. Naegi reacts to apologizes-a-lot Chihiro by reassuring her, Hinata just can't be bothered to give a drat. It kinda brings him into direct conflict with the "Hope!" theme this game is going for, which is interesting. Seems to nudge us further in the direction that this game's central conflict won't revolve around some sort of epic hope-despair battle, but rather around some weird perversion of hope/love/fluffiness.

It occurs to me that we might be called upon to strike a balance. If Monobear does show up at some point (other than as a vending machine decal) he'll probably represent Senseless Despair, with Unami (and Nagito?) being Foolish Hope. I don't know who would organize something like that, though, or for what purpose.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Oren, I am not at all qualified to tell you how to write your own LP but maybe you could try to fit in more than two character introductions per update?

Kinda echoing this as politely as possible. Unless four at a time is too much or something.

Not my LP though so can't really do anything, just seems a bit... short and staggered just for intros

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.

AAAAA posted:

Would all of you stupid motherfuckers please shut the gently caress up with your asinine goddamn translation ideas

Why not call Gundam "Terminator" I guess that's the western equivalent I dunno eh maybe well :v: :v: :v: Or maybe I'm just a dumb loving leech trying to cram my garbage personality into a popular thread I DUNNO :v:

For what it's worth, I was not making a translation suggestion, but honestly trying to get a better feel for what the term means, and doing so by matching it towards something I have a slight bit more familiarity with, if only because my wife watches Glee.

And it was a useful question, as it turns out that Glee Club is NOT really a best fit for it, hence quashing a false understanding.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

AAAAA posted:

Would all of you stupid motherfuckers please shut the gently caress up with your asinine goddamn translation ideas

Why not call Gundam "Terminator" I guess that's the western equivalent I dunno eh maybe well :v: :v: :v: Or maybe I'm just a dumb loving leech trying to cram my garbage personality into a popular thread I DUNNO :v:
Or how about this: The OP will say if and when he's had enough of translation suggestions, and until then we'll try to help him improve because (and this will come as a big surprise to you if you have never written or translated anything in your life) having constructive criticism is really freaking important when you're an amateur embarking on your first (or second) major project.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Holy poo poo, please let Tsumiki just be the next stage of SHSL shy kid and not be some victim of extreme abuse. Thank god Mioda was there for the positive rebound or I would have been depressed as gently caress thinking about the Bioware creeps emotionally fragile nurse panders to.

Also, I wonder if the seemingly pointless level counter at the top of the screen is connected to whatever Hajime is - like SHSL video game "enthusiast" or something.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Dec 19, 2012

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

Iunnrais posted:

For what it's worth, I was not making a translation suggestion, but honestly trying to get a better feel for what the term means, and doing so by matching it towards something I have a slight bit more familiarity with, if only because my wife watches Glee.

And it was a useful question, as it turns out that Glee Club is NOT really a best fit for it, hence quashing a false understanding.

If I were to pick a phrase for Ibuki that would probably better convey the general idea behind her club but completely mangle the reference and not really sound any better, I'd have picked "SHSL Pop-Rock Club Member" or something like that.

For the record, the official K-ON manga translation seems to have changed "light music club" to "pop music club" but I think the phrase "pop music" comes with too many connotations of "top 40 radio stuff" to really work. It is kind of weird that the English language never developed a colloquial term to refer to non-classical music.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?

Spatula City posted:

I think the designers have to be aware that any sane mystery afficianado would probably peg her as a likely murderer based on how mentally unstable she appears to be, and because it goes with Dangan Ronpa's trend of fake-outs and defiance of expectations.

It depends on what kind of mystery aficionado you are thinking of. In Golden Age mysteries(Christie, Carr, etc) the murderer was almost never the mentally unstable one because that was just flat out not a plausible culprit most of the times. That type of mystery usually had extremely complicated murders, so the most common type of murderer was a calculating narcissist who masqueraded as something else during the rest of the book to keep it different enough. Generally, mental instability was an argument against somebody being the culprit, like for example a certain John Dickson Carr novel I'm not gonna name to avoid spoilers. So I'm not sure about what you are saying here.

Modern Japanese Golden Age style'd mysteries are a bit harder to talk about because I got very very limited exposure to them, but to my understanding(and somebody correct me if I'm wrong) they aren't overly fond of insane culprits either. There's the horror/mystery mix in Japan that likes to focus more on motive and story than in what trick was used to murder people. Dangan Ronpa really doesn't seem like that type.

I can't know for sure what type Dangan Ronpa was, but considering how Kirigiri quoted Ellery Queen(who is still popular in Japan for reasons I don't fully understand even if I know the history involved) I think the designers are more inclined to assume Golden Age/New Wave Japan Mystery or whatever they are called predictions as opposed to anything else. That's my long-winded way of saying "I don't think there's nothing in her design that can make us think she is a killer."

I mean don't get me wrong, maybe there's some Japanese mystery stuff I'm not aware of(which is fairly possible) but I don't think that's a fair conclusion to make at this point. Hell, I don't think any conclusion about the characters is fair at this point. The most I can say is that the nurse annoys the living hell out of me.

I mean, it's cool to talk about how likable characters are coming off as but talking about how likely they are to commit murder is a bit pointless. Like, when you start to think that somebody is going to commit murder before the idea of murder even occurs to them, that's just going to make actual theorizing a living hell later because you'll be trying to fit your theories together with your knee jerk reactions based on design and a short conversation.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Kinda echoing this as politely as possible. Unless four at a time is too much or something.

Not my LP though so can't really do anything, just seems a bit... short and staggered just for intros

Me as well only because the massive amount of speculation vs actual content is jarring when you actually think about it.

However I'll also say, the update schedule is frequent it just doesn't seem as frequent because this will be a high volume thread. We also have to keep in mind the original took a year.

PoliteMachineGun
Oct 5, 2011

They noticed me!
Covet this, fools!

RedMagus posted:

That's an interesting face. I've only ever seen that either when the character is suppose to be an imp, and never as an anime expression. Something new every day eh?
Still, anyone with enough cultural context could put 2 and 2 together and figure out our SHSL-GarageBand gal is going to be the impish mischievous sort. Or do Japanese imps have different attributes?

If the nose is a reference to what I think it is, that's a tengu face she's pulling there. Which means that's she's not being mischievous or impish so much as uppity. Like, "Woooow, this food is good enough even for me!".

I'm guessing Tsumiki is one of those people who is very, very competent but only when nobody's watching (or when there's only people she knows around). She seems like the kind of person who's such a perfectionist that she gets nervous about screwing things up that most people don't think about (say, interacting with people her age). I bet if unNaegi or Hinata cared enough to reassure her she'd chill the gently caress out pretty soon.

Also calling it now: nobody dies, all the deaths are accidents. Just to piss off all the SHSL Speculations in the thread. :v:

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

Sherringford posted:

It depends on what kind of mystery aficionado you are thinking of. In Golden Age mysteries(Christie, Carr, etc) the murderer was almost never the mentally unstable one because that was just flat out not a plausible culprit most of the times. That type of mystery usually had extremely complicated murders, so the most common type of murderer was a calculating narcissist who masqueraded as something else during the rest of the book to keep it different enough. Generally, mental instability was an argument against somebody being the culprit, like for example a certain John Dickson Carr novel I'm not gonna name to avoid spoilers. So I'm not sure about what you are saying here.

The reason Golden Age mystery novels generally avoid madman-killers is because it violates a major rule of mystery fiction: no cop-outs. The answer to "Why did you do it?" cannot be Time Cube. It's like using untraceable poisons or a secret-twin alibi - it ruins the integrity of the mystery.

Noumena
Mar 18, 2008

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Oren, I am not at all qualified to tell you how to write your own LP but maybe you could try to fit in more than two character introductions per update? If only because the thread seems bound and determined to psychoanalyze every single character and it's a little silly when all we have are a few sprites and a character introduction.

I agree with this. I know it must be a ton of work with the amount of translation that's being done, and even with a healthy backlog things may slow over time, but it's kind of agonizing having such snippet-like mini updates, no matter how frequent. It's not my call in the least, but I would gladly trade the novella chapters for longer LP updates. The pace, particularly for the beginning of the game, is like a snail on quaaludes.

I am, of course, so grateful that you're LPing the game at all, oren!

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
If you're willing to trade longer updates for longer waits, maybe just wait a month and read it all at once.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

jackofarcades posted:

If you're willing to trade longer updates for longer waits, maybe just wait a month and read it all at once.

Yeah but then you'd have to go through the dozens of pages of boring painful speculation.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
Thread might become more painful with longer between updates.

KillerDan
Nov 4, 2012

Requested_Username posted:

Yeah but then you'd have to go through the dozens of pages of boring painful speculation.

...or you could just use the first post in the thread to check all the updates. You don't even have to read any of the speculation posts right now, technically.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Sherringford posted:

I mean, it's cool to talk about how likable characters are coming off as but talking about how likely they are to commit murder is a bit pointless. Like, when you start to think that somebody is going to commit murder before the idea of murder even occurs to them, that's just going to make actual theorizing a living hell later because you'll be trying to fit your theories together with your knee jerk reactions based on design and a short conversation.

Sherringford's got a good point here- we should at least wait for the 'you gotta kill people' reveal and watch the characters' reactions before we start speculating (not that I've taken this advice myself :v: but I will now). Right now, they're just a bunch of high school kids stuck on a strange island- for all we know, Dr. Doomlittle might actually turn out to be a bro once he's forced to choose between 'kill or be killed', while the chill mechanic could suddenly go crazy or something like that.

As for the new characters- eh, I also find the nurse kind of annoying, and I hope that she changes somewhat, but Ibuki's legit cool. I actually hope that she doesn't have any hidden depths or the like, and this cheery, bubbly exterior really is what she's like on the inside as well :3:

Edit for a bit more substance: It's already been pointed out the there are MonoBear themed things on the island, such as the vending machine, so it's obvious that the bear's back, and probably hiding out somewhere to reveal him/herself for maximum despair. Why the subterfuge, though? I suppose s/he could be hiding behind the Usami disguise to raise everyone's hopes up, but why need the Usami in the first place? Why not leave the students to believe they're on a lovely desert island, and then, just as they've gathered around a campfire to sing Kumbaya, pop out and go all "You bastards better start killing each other now, hear?"

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Dec 19, 2012

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

There's a Twitter for people who only want to read updates and not have to read the thread.

Minor discussion, I'm surprised none of y'all mentioned the fact that Sugita also voices Joseph Joestar in the new Jojo's anime, which making his voice all the more funnier to read. (I also hadn't realized Ibuki's voice played Yukiko in the past, I never did put two and two together I guess...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
This thread caught my eye, and I went through all of the first LP in 3 days. Hooolleee poo poo that was a wild ride, and this game looks like it'll be another one. :allears:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

• Locked thread