Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
I see what you are saying with people looking for clues and I myself was one of the early ones encouraging my friends not to, but then Chase goes and gives several interviews in which he hints that the clues are there, and obvious. He has stated there's no "Da Vinci Code" to crack and by that he meant that the clues are fairly evident. Before I read those interviews, I was content with the ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aertuun
Dec 18, 2012

Apparently Matt Servitto (who played the FBI agent Dwight Harris) said there was a part in the script that was cut during editing. It showed the man in the Members Only jacket exiting the bathroom and walking towards Tony's table.

Watching the last season of the Sopranos always ends up being fairly depressing. The entire world is falling apart around Tony and he either doesn't notice or doesn't care.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Apropos of nothing, I just remembered my favorite David Chase quote:

David Chase posted:

I went and saw The Planet of the Apes with my wife. After the movie as we were leaving, I turned to her and said,"Wow, so they had a Statue of Liberty on their planet too?"

:3:

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

marktheando posted:

Yes I think this is the important thing to take away from the finale. All the people hunting for clues are missing the point.

Well, it ends just as the first season did, with the major threat to his life over, but indictments about to come down. All I took away was, whether two minutes or twenty years, the rest of his life is just about waiting for the other shoe to drop.

The end! No moral.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.
This is why I don't like the ending. Years and years of storytelling, and all anyone wants to discuss is the last 8 seconds.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Ishamael posted:

This is why I don't like the ending. Years and years of storytelling, and all anyone wants to discuss is the last 8 seconds.

This is the best 8 or so seconds to discuss in the show.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Well, it ends just as the first season did, with the major threat to his life over, but indictments about to come down. All I took away was, whether two minutes or twenty years, the rest of his life is just about waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Members Only guy was foiled in the S1 finale when the tree fell on the road and they had to eat at Vesuvios instead. But he was patient and waited for his time to strike.

Members Only guy always gets his man.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Haha holy poo poo I forgot about that! That is a great one.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Yeah, so I found out something really cool recently.

So, here's the thing - my grandmother's side of the family (on my mother's side) is 100% Italian-American. My grandmother personally grew up on Coney Island but she had plenty of extended family in both Jersey and NYC - their family was originally from the southern part of Italian (potentially Sicily but I really am unsure) and their family name was DeCesare. That was literally my grandmother's maiden's name. As far as I know they were pretty typical Italian-Americans. My 94-year-old grandmother fits all those stereotypes pretty well for a woman of her age and generation and background. But it sort of made The Sopranos more accessible in a way because as we know the show is largely about food and I could connect strongly with a lot of the food on the show because my mother made the same stuff. Sunday Gravy, etc. Baked ziti and big vats of meat sauce and tons of traditional Italian fish-based peasant food and so on. Great stuff, all of it.

Anyway I was shocked to read recently that David Chase's real last name was also DeCesare, which his parents changed to Chase to better, you know, fit in. And I have to say that looking at him picture again, he looks like he could *totally* be just another one of my mom's many many many different cousins on the Italian side of her family. I find the whole thing kind of amusing but it actually makes me look at the show in a slightly different light.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

Unzip and Attack posted:

You are so right about this. The scene where Carmela runs in and grabs an AK, racking it as if she's putting on a hat, really stuck out to me. The first season had a lot of scenes like that.

And god drat does that scene of Tony running down a guy with his car through a park midday ever stand out.

Scott Bakula posted:

When discussing this with the only person I actually know who's seen the whole show, I've always felt that Tony wasn't killed. Every hit we see in a restaurant in the entire show (as far as I can remember) people walk in and just shoot the gently caress out of whoever the hit is on then run off. A point is even made where Silvio is used so that the hit isn't expecting it because he's hoping for just a normal meal.

The "Man in Members Only" was specifically waiting around until Tony's entire family could see him get clipped, which is why the scene goes to black (exactly as death is described by Bobby in the season opener) whenever Meadow finally enters the restaurant and not a moment sooner.

The other shoe was always gonna drop for Tony (the gun change, Carlo flipping, blow-back from the war) and just like him we don't know when or how so the show tries to leave it as ambiguous as possible, but the clearest and most reasonable (and, IMO, only legitimate) answer is Tony was assassinated for how grisly Phil's murder ended up (his skull getting smashed by the car) in front of his family. New York was willing to settle for the peace, but refused any part in locating Phil accepting that what happens happens, but with all the bad blood and hatred of Tony there's no way they don't interpret that brutality as an intentional act of the boy king's glorified crew. Butch hated Tony from the start and, even as an accident, the circumstances are so grotesque everyone below and other families will start citing "no true mafioso..." forcing Butch to act or lose major face (...as well).

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Ishamael posted:

That's utter nonsense. They also want to discuss "Hey man what happened to the Russian?"

EDIT: Second for second, no 8-second segment offers better value than this one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9i-dB_6Dvcw&t=61s

"Oh poo poo!" indeed my friend. "Oh poo poo!" indeed.

Rev. Bleech_ fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Dec 19, 2012

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace

Jerusalem posted:

This scene terrified me when I first saw it, it came out of nowhere. Re-watching it though, you can actually see the Virgin Mary in the mirror before Paulie turns around. Creepy.

There's a lot of creepy haunting moments, now that I think about it. Like Pussy's ghost reflection (hmmm... ghost reflection motif?) & the guy descending the stairs during Livia's wake. I think they were in the same episode too. Creepy stuff

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
The scene where Paulie goes to the psychic is one of my favorites in the whole series, because it goes from insanely creepy to hilarious when Paulie flips out and calls everyone "a bunch of queers" before throwing a chair and getting the gently caress out.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Unzip and Attack posted:

The scene where Paulie goes to the psychic is one of my favorites in the whole series, because it goes from insanely creepy to hilarious when Paulie flips out and calls everyone "a bunch of queers" before throwing a chair and getting the gently caress out.

I prefer him in this scene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_peSCECc4I

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
gently caress you, you fuckin' hwhoar!

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I think you'll find that it is pronounced huuu-oar.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Palmtree Panic posted:

This scene terrified me when I first saw it, it came out of nowhere. Re-watching it though, you can actually see the Virgin Mary in the mirror before Paulie turns around. Creepy.

Yeah it scared the hell out of me the first few times I saw it, too. Which episode is that in?

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
"The Ride" in Season 6A.

In other news AV club wrapped up their re-watch of the series today

One thing about the finale that's never discussed enough is the cat. I know the popular theory is that it's Adriana reincarnated, but I just don't see it. Other than constantly staring at the pic of Christopher what leads people to believe its Adriana?

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Adriana wears leopard and cat skin clothing all throughout the series. There's a montage of it somewhere on Youtube. Seriously it's easy to miss in parts but when it's all strung together it becomes really obvious.

the culminator
Oct 29, 2012
Man I really wish this was on netflix, its been years since I've seen it and to my utmost shame there's a lot of episodes that I've only seen in neutered tbs version.

kippa
Aug 10, 2005

Fry, it's been three days. You can't keep boogie-ing like this. You'll come down with a fever of some sort.

Unzip and Attack posted:

Adriana wears leopard and cat skin clothing all throughout the series. There's a montage of it somewhere on Youtube. Seriously it's easy to miss in parts but when it's all strung together it becomes really obvious.

Don't forget that she literally says "MEOW!" to stuff in S1 too,

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

the culminator posted:

Man I really wish this was on netflix, its been years since I've seen it and to my utmost shame there's a lot of episodes that I've only seen in neutered tbs version.

Do you have HBO GO?

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

kippa posted:

Don't forget that she literally says "MEOW!" to stuff in S1 too,

She also does the "MEOW" thing over and over when demo'ing that band's song to Massive Genius.

the culminator
Oct 29, 2012

bobkatt013 posted:

Do you have HBO GO?

I don't have an HBO subscription anymore so I'm guessing no. I might resubscribe just to re-watch. Thanks for the tip.

edit- The Seven Souls montage might be my favorite thing ever

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzNB_Y9cXi4

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I absolutely adore that shot of Paulie and the cat sunbathing in the final episode.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

One scene, 30 seconds and no dialog. And so starts my fourth rewatch in as many years.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

kenny powerzzz posted:

One scene, 30 seconds and no dialog. And so starts my fourth rewatch in as many years.

Keep an eye out for this then. In the first episode of season two, Pussy comes back. They are sitting in the back of the Bing and Sil starts reciting Godfather lines. When he quotes, "Our true enemy has yet to reveal himself" they cut to Pussy laughing for a few seconds. Totally blew my mind when I noticed that.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

It's the most wonderful time of the year
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gXJZBwceyg

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

How have I never seen that before? Awesome.

Also, you know Tony Sirico (Paulie) is getting a recurring role on Family Guy next season?

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
Anyone else see season 6.2 as framed around a sort of end-times, Biblical war theme? The entire series in fact pretty much establishes Tony as the ruling Devil in hell.

discstickers
Jul 29, 2004

http://www.thenewstribune.com/2012/12/17/2405895/david-chase-reflects-on-the-sopranos.html

pr0p
Dec 8, 2011
I don't think any ending would've satisfied the audience. I do wish there was a rewatch thread for this a la the current Wire thread. I tried to watch it with a friend of mine and she burned out in late season 3. I can't relate to her, but at 86 hours or so of TV it is a lot to take in.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

:stare:

America is the greatest country in the world.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

Whoa, don't skip this. Not only is is really cool, it is also the most positive I have ever heard David Chase be!

David Chase posted:

I thought the episode itself might have been kind of a dud, but it wasn't. I was proud of it. I was satisfied that we'd done something. What I didn't understand was that the ending would be so talked-about that it would completely obliterate the rest of the episode that came before it. No one ever even saw it, talked about it, mentioned it or anything about it - and I think didn't even interpret it correctly because all they talked about was that ending. I did not know that would happen.

I think a lot of people thought they were being made a fool of, that I was being really meta - is that the word? - and postmodern or just showing my quote-unquote "contempt" for the audience or going "Ha, ha, ha. It's just a TV show." None of that was what was going on. That was the best ending I knew to come up with and I thought it said some things but people didn't get it because they were angry. Or maybe it wasn't executed well.

I do wish that connection had been made better. To me the question is not whether Tony lived or died, and that's all that people wanted to know: "Well, did he live or did he die? You didn't finish the show. You didn't answer the question." That's preposterous. There was something else I was saying that was more important than whether Tony Soprano lived or died. About the fragility of all of it. The whole show had been about time in a way, and the time allotted on this Earth. That whole trip out to California was all about that - what people called a dream sequence. And all the dream sequences within the show. Tony was dealing in mortality every day. He was dishing out life and death. And he was not happy. He was getting everything he wanted, that guy, but he wasn't happy. All I wanted to do was present the idea of how short life is and how precious it is. The only way I felt I could do that was to rip it away. And I think people did get it. It made them upset emotionally, but intellectually they didn't follow it. And that could very well be bad execution.

Did Tony die or didn't he die? Well, first of all, it really comes down to this: There was, what, six seasons of that show? Seven? Am I supposed to do a scene and ending where it shows that crime doesn't pay? Well, we saw that crime pays. We've been seeing that for how many years? Now, in another sense, we saw that crime didn't pay because it wasn't making him happy. He was an extremely isolated, unhappy man. And then finally, once in a while he would make a connection with his family and be happy there. But in this case, whatever happened, we never got to see the result of that. It was torn away from him and from us. I forget what my point was.

(AP: That the meaning of the show didn't have to be there in that final moment. It was there all along.)

Exactly. That's what I felt. It's really about time, to me - just to me - and love. What else do we have in this universe? It's a cold universe. People said, "Oh, the show is so dark," and it posited the notion that nobody ever changes. That was never my intention. Change is hard to come by, and like most of us, he wasn't trying hard enough. People said, "Oh, it got worse and worse and worse." I think he's the same guy in the beginning as he was in the end. Maybe had a little bit more capacity for compassion for people, I don't know.

I said it's a cold universe and I don't mean that metaphorically. If you go out into space, it's cold. It's really cold and we don't know what's up there. We happen to be in this little pocket where there's a sun. What have we got except love and each other to guard against all that isolation and loneliness?

kippa
Aug 10, 2005

Fry, it's been three days. You can't keep boogie-ing like this. You'll come down with a fever of some sort.

Goddamn, it looks like Johnny Sack has taken up Ginny's eating habits since the show finished, here he is in Killing them Softly:

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
On my first re-watch I feel like I'm realizing something that is so obvious now. Tony is a direct response to the Don Vito's of epics. A breakdown of the superhuman, response against the "Great Man" type of thinking. It makes the few Roman references in the first season make a bit more sense too. Mafia/Gangster media had a really hard time examining its Dons or other leading men without giving them a fatal flaw I feel like, especially if you look at the definitive entries. Michael, Tony Montana, Henry Hill all had a fatal flaw in their makeup before their ascension to their role, whereas Tony has a 'choice' in his flaws that they don't seem to have. To me this rings true and makes the allusions to Caesar and the Romans (often critically unexamined, remembered sometimes literally as divine) more poignant. Tony has that superhuman like quality, he's got the luck, intelligence and ruthlessness but we as the viewer are capable of seeing his flaws and how he willingly participates in them like the others don't really.

DAMN NIGGA
Aug 15, 2008

by Lowtax

kippa posted:

Goddamn, it looks like Johnny Sack has taken up Ginny's eating habits since the show finished, here he is in Killing them Softly:

OHHHH!

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

kippa posted:

IMDB says he had a huge mole removed from his rear end.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Bonzo posted:

IMDB says he had a huge mole removed from his rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
HBO has been replaying the early seasons lately, just caught the episode when Janice whacked Richie Aprile after Richie punches her in the face. I forgot how awesome that scene was, how he sits down to eat afterwards like it was no big deal but he forgot who he was loving with.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0705279

• Locked thread