Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Y Kant Ozma Post posted:

I don't know but when I find out who did this to him I'm going to hunt them down and give them a noogie that's going to hurt like hell.

It was Obama. He wants all the taxes and is angry at Tony for encouraging tax circumvention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

AmazonTony posted:

I'm working on getting in touch with Rhode Island (not a joke).

Even if it isn't a joke, it just seems kind of funny to contact a state to discount a video game. :3:

AmazonTony
Nov 23, 2012

I'm the Marketing Manager for Amazon's Digital Video Games group. Feel free to ask me questions about upcoming and current deals. We'll also be doing community giveaways, Q&As with developers, and Podcasts with ++GoodGames.

MixMasterMalaria posted:

Thanks for this informative thread and detailed OP! Do you have any plans for more Heart of the Swarm beta key giveaways?

I plan on it, just waiting to get more of them.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

AmazonTony posted:

I plan on it, just waiting to get more of them.

My hero!

AmazonTony
Nov 23, 2012

I'm the Marketing Manager for Amazon's Digital Video Games group. Feel free to ask me questions about upcoming and current deals. We'll also be doing community giveaways, Q&As with developers, and Podcasts with ++GoodGames.

DarkstarIV posted:

:ssh: I was told it was het. You didn't hear that from me though.

Also Amazon Tony: How long is Persona 4 Arena going to be on sale? $21 is too good to pass up but I spent all of my money until next paycheck on my family for Christmas.

My back end system shows it is good through 1/1. That being said I hate this system and it lies to me sometimes, but you SHOULD be ok through 1/1.

Tokyo Incident
Nov 1, 2011

relax
Turn that frown upside down Tony. By the way a couple of titles were pulled from the steam store a few months back, namely Everyday Genius and the Ghostbusters game. Do you have any idea if they're going to be removed from Amazon soon?

AmazonTony posted:

This would be pretty drat special if you somehow made it happen :allears:.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
Oh poo poo, Persona 4 Arena is on sale? Hurrah for marketing threads :woop:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Kharmakazy posted:

Now IANAL, but I'm pretty sure the legal responsibility for making sure sales tax is paid is on the seller and not the buyer, since the seller is the one actually turning in the tax money to the government...

Depends on your locality. In many areas, anything you buy where you aren't explicitly charged a sales tax, you as a customer are actually supposed to report it to be billed a use tax by your state.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Purchased Syndicate and finished it today (7 hours or so), looking forward to that Kingdoms of Amalur sale!

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

AmazonTony posted:

No worries, not worried. Just surprised that someone would go through all the expense and trouble of making a semi-public statement without actually taking credit for it...

We just ran it for $9.99 and that was the lowest price planned in December. I'm pushing for deeper on that title though.

I'm so glad to hear this. It always bums me out when i see KoA get a really nice price on Amazon (the very tempting 12 deal with all the dlcs) or Gamefly, while the Steam version is still stuck at $60 with not a single sale beyond a brief discount when the first dlc was released.

WetSpink
Jun 13, 2010
I like how Tony's new title serves to make his posts stand out more in the thread and makes them easier to find.

ExtrudeAlongCurve
Oct 21, 2010

Lambert is my Homeboy

AmazonTony posted:

:woop: This is awesome. You are awesome. I would be so psyched if this could happen.

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

Kharmakazy posted:

Now IANAL, but I'm pretty sure the legal responsibility for making sure sales tax is paid is on the seller and not the buyer, since the seller is the one actually turning in the tax money to the government...

He was trying to simplify. Mail-order retailers are only required to pay sales tax in states where they have physical nexus, meaning that they have some sort of substantial physical presence in the state. For states where Amazon doesn't have physical nexus, they have no responsibility to collect sales tax whatsoever. These states try to capture what would have been the sales tax on the order by passing a Use Tax, which means that if you are a resident of the state and you purchase items from a sales-tax-exempt seller like Amazon, you as the resident are responsible for collecting and submitting your Use Tax to your state government.

Of course, basically no one knows about their use tax liability, and the state doesn't know what, if anything, you've bought from exempt retailers out-of-state, so everyone ignores the use tax and states lose out on tax revenue they should have been paid.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Now I know it's already expired, but do you know if The Secret World will be on sale again in the near future? I'd like to give it to some friends in the holiday spirit now that I've played it and love it.

AmazonTony
Nov 23, 2012

ExtrudeAlongCurve posted:

:woop: This is awesome. You are awesome. I would be so psyched if this could happen.

Thanks I'm not holding out much hope but I have a weekly reminder to dedicate an hour to making phone calls and sending emails.

Protocol7 posted:

Now I know it's already expired, but do you know if The Secret World will be on sale again in the near future? I'd like to give it to some friends in the holiday spirit now that I've played it and love it.

I'm working on it. Likely January though.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

thefncrow posted:

He was trying to simplify. Mail-order retailers are only required to pay sales tax in states where they have physical nexus, meaning that they have some sort of substantial physical presence in the state. For states where Amazon doesn't have physical nexus, they have no responsibility to collect sales tax whatsoever. These states try to capture what would have been the sales tax on the order by passing a Use Tax, which means that if you are a resident of the state and you purchase items from a sales-tax-exempt seller like Amazon, you as the resident are responsible for collecting and submitting your Use Tax to your state government.

Of course, basically no one knows about their use tax liability, and the state doesn't know what, if anything, you've bought from exempt retailers out-of-state, so everyone ignores the use tax and states lose out on tax revenue they should have been paid.

If that is the case, then that is completely unenforceable and they would have known it when they made it law. Laws that the government has no intention of enforcing are kind of moot. But I think it may be time to stop talking about sales tax...

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.
Love the new Avatar, Tony.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
Oh someone beat me to the punch. Well keep up the good work Tony. Remember we're always here for you. #TonyDefenseForce

Seriously though, thanks for the great thread and awesome deals! Quite pleased with my Heart of the Swarm key.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Drunk Tomato posted:

Love the new Avatar, Tony.

Boycott Amazon until he brings back the Robert Webb avatar.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

I missed the other avatar, what'd it say?

Hey Tony, do you have any pull over physical copies of games as well or do you strictly deal with just digital games?

supercow
Aug 11, 2009
drat I missed Might and Magic Clash of Heroes for 2.50. Any chance it comes back?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I have a question; I have $59 in Amazon credit, which is awesome but here is my problem, it's all broken up into different digital video games that I don't want. The credit is useless to me in its current form. I was wondering if it is possible to convert that credit into general credit that can be used anywhere on the video game section of Amazon.com? It would really make my day if this were possible.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

I said come in! posted:

I have a question; I have $59 in Amazon credit, which is awesome but here is my problem, it's all broken up into different digital video games that I don't want. The credit is useless to me in its current form. I was wondering if it is possible to convert that credit into general credit that can be used anywhere on the video game section of Amazon.com? It would really make my day if this were possible.

It's not really general credit and it's given away like that mostly because they know you don't want it. Actually it's because the companies pushing those games want people to give them a shot to try to suck in some money but I like the way I put it first.

Some have had luck trying to put a normal purchase through then asking support about why the credit isn't applying, but mostly you're going to be told that it's not a general credit and to deal with it.

Tony's mentioned that he'd like to see the credit widget improved so it will break down what you actually have credits for.

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

You would make a good Dalek.

AmazonTony posted:

Oh man, this would be the BEST thing. :pray:

SSJ Reeko
Nov 4, 2009
The Secret World was only on sale for a few days, it seems so short considering the rest of the sale. Is that it for that game or is there any word on a second sale for it? I really wanna check that game out, but not for more than 15.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

SSJ Reeko posted:

The Secret World was only on sale for a few days, it seems so short considering the rest of the sale. Is that it for that game or is there any word on a second sale for it? I really wanna check that game out, but not for more than 15.

Seconding this, I'm in the same boat.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

I said come in! posted:

I have a bunch of these credits too, but to me it seems like they are basically just like a coupon for X. If you don't want X, the coupon has no value.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

I said come in! posted:

What's even more annoying about this is occasionally it'll get added into the sections other than Video Game/Software Downloads. I'm currently sitting on $23 in MP3 credit, $24 in Instant Video credit, and a whopping $268 in Video Game and Software downloads credit. My best guess is I actually have about $4 in each of the first two and 0 in the last category.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Xenoborg posted:

I have a bunch of these credits too, but to me it seems like they are basically just like a coupon for X. If you don't want X, the coupon has no value.
Yup. I kind of feel like 'coupon' would be a more forthright name than 'credit' for discounts that have such a narrow scope.

AmazonTony
Nov 23, 2012

Hey there,

Trying to answer multiple questions at once here:

1. Clash of Heroes and The Secret World aren't planned again for December. The Secret World is in the works for January, I'll look into Clash of Heroes as well.

2. We just confirmed the Darksiders II deal:

12/20-12/21:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00APOVDDY - $13.19

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I said come in! posted:

It sucks that Amazon can't tell you what the credits are for, but if they did this, I would get ~$30 in general credit from buying that last $10 Serious Sam bundle. The whole reason they can afford to give you $30 in credit on purchases like that is because it's for things 99% of people will never buy. Whining about that credit not applying to all games is a pretty fatwallet-ish thing to do.

AmazonTony
Nov 23, 2012

wa27 posted:

It sucks that Amazon can't tell you what the credits are for, but if they did this, I would get ~$30 in general credit from buying that last $10 Serious Sam bundle. The whole reason they can afford to give you $30 in credit on purchases like that is because it's for things 99% of people will never buy. Whining about that credit not applying to all games is a pretty fatwallet-ish thing to do.

Two points here:

1. We're actively working on this widget, but I agree, the display is not optimal.
2. Regarding the coupon, the percentage of people who used it last year was MUCH higher than the 1% you're suggesting above.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

AmazonTony posted:

Regarding the coupon, the percentage of people who used it last year was MUCH higher than the 1% you're suggesting above.

The $5 on "editors choice" games, sure. But I imagine most of people's large credit balances is $20 for things like this. At least mine is right now. I'm certainly not going to ask Amazon to change that into $20 of regular credit.

AmazonTony
Nov 23, 2012

wa27 posted:

The $5 on "editors choice" games, sure. But I imagine most of people's large credit balances is $20 for things like this. At least mine is right now. I'm certainly not going to ask Amazon to change that into $20 of regular credit.

Ah got it, my bad I read your post incorrectly. You are correct, while not 1%, the redemption on the F2P coupons is significantly lower than the $5 Jan coupon.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Yeah, I think the credit for Editor's Choice games is good and nobody is complaining about that. But the credits for Generic Social Advergame come across as pretty much spam.

Drakonis
Dec 18, 2011

"That will go down among my worst boners."
Tony, you seem to be missing out the DLC deals, could you add them? :ohdear:

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

supercow posted:

drat I missed Might and Magic Clash of Heroes for 2.50. Any chance it comes back?

Oh wow, I thought that was good for the whole week. I wanted to get another copy to gift. :(

AmazonTony
Nov 23, 2012

I've got 50 more SC2 HOTS beta keys to give out. Since it looks like lurkers snagged the last batch.

Any suggestions on how to get you all these codes? PM? Smoke Signal? I can post my cell phone number so you can all call me and I can read you each code character by character?

Let me know!

Also, my dog is adorable and we're giving away games this week:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152342678695261&set=a.10151362562415261.817101.137830960260&type=1&theater

He's on the right, his name is Paddington.

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

Just give me one and throw the 49 others out your window while driving to work tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to

AmazonTony posted:

I've got 50 more SC2 HOTS beta keys to give out. Since it looks like lurkers snagged the last batch.

Private Game Servers thread?

• Locked thread