Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
What really bothers me - kind of - is that guns can be picked up while alien lifeforms are just dead dead dead.

I feel like something needs to be done to rebalance around this, especially with how drat fragile a fade is for the kind of investment it is, but I'm really not sure what.

edit: and I say "kind of" because a marine is a lot more vulnerable than anyone on the alien team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyAML
Jul 24, 2006

HEY BASS WHY MUST I FIGHT YOU WE ARE NOT ENEMIES

MorsAnima posted:

This is pure bullshit, thrice-refined.

I can't count the number of times I've died after someone misses their 8th shotgun blast and hits the 9th. 3 marines spamming shotgun blasts? Dodge 20 of them, killing a marine in my crazy-rear end dodging, but that 21st hits? Goodbye, you didn't die because they're better than you, you died because the odds are that eventually one of these idiots will shoot in the right direction.
What exactly are you expecting if you're going up against 3 marines with shotguns? It's going to be a dangerous prospect and I'd say that killing 1 guy in a group of 3 shotgunners isn't a bad trade at all, assuming you're playing a skulk.

MorsAnima posted:

You know, sod all that. I just think the total lack of any meaningful recoil on rapidfiring a loving SHOTGUN annoys me most. Go take an automatic shotgun and rapidfire it down range, good luck finding your spread, since half the shots won't be on the target.
Video game

MorsAnima posted:

Now that people are figuring out jetpack+shotgun > exo for everything (hell, even seiging lately, since beacon doesn't take exos, and they're too slow anyway), skulks/fades are becoming more and more worthless. Fade can kill jetpackers in mid-air, but it takes serious timing on your part, and the marine NOT to unload a lethal blast in your face before you hit him, since the jump blink sends you flying towards them in a clear, straight line. Not to mention, jetpack+shotgun = 30 res, fade = 50 and the painstakingly long time it takes to evolve, while JP/SG is instant to buy.
If only there were some other alien lifeform that could fly and attack from out of shotgun range and also cost the same amount of res as a jetpack + shotgun!

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Of all the problems people talk about with NS2, I don't think I've ever heard anyone complain about the shotgun. So I don't think it's nearly as bad as you're making it out to be.

AgentF
May 11, 2009

MorsAnima posted:

I just think the total lack of any meaningful recoil on rapidfiring a loving SHOTGUN annoys me most. Go take an automatic shotgun and rapidfire it down range, good luck finding your spread, since half the shots won't be on the target. BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM. Any of those hitting = dead. No skill needed, just blast the gently caress away.

How does it make you feel that the pistol is pinpoint accurate and can hit the same point repeatedly for every shot in the clip?

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Really, it's just skill vs skill - my question is on a pro level, is it even or no?

A skulk will rarely kill a shotgunner 1v1 and usually not even 2v1, but that's why it costs 20 res. A lerk and a skulk can easily kill a shotgunner with some coordination, even if the guy's getting medspam like it's going out of style.

Moto42
Jul 14, 2006

:dukedog:
I haven't played in a few months, but I have a question...

Why is a skulk attacking three shotgunners from the front?
At least one would be dead before they know your dead if you came at them from the side/rear.

If your just running up into their face, I don't care about your "mad rear end dodging skillz", you'll eat all the lead you deserve.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
New fun bug: hold e to stand in place while still running, or jump and hold it to hover in place. You can jump off of high things and just sit in mid air. It also spams the console with errors and makes everyone else in the server lag and skip around. Wooo fun.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
Was having problems with sorting by ping in the server browser fumbled around and found this:

Lowering it helped with servers all showing high ping even on fiber.

AgentF
May 11, 2009

Garfu posted:

New fun bug: hold e to stand in place while still running, or jump and hold it to hover in place. You can jump off of high things and just sit in mid air. It also spams the console with errors and makes everyone else in the server lag and skip around. Wooo fun.

Haha! Can you move around while levitating? This is amazing.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Garfu posted:

I think maybe I saw this while playing on a server tonight? Does it appear to "freeze" the player in place (like he's lagging out)?

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

quote:

I can't count the number of times I've died after someone misses their 8th shotgun blast and hits the 9th. 3 marines spamming shotgun blasts? Dodge 20 of them, killing a marine in my crazy-rear end dodging, but that 21st hits? Goodbye, you didn't die because they're better than you, you died because the odds are that eventually one of these idiots will shoot in the right direction.

You're saying the shotgun is overpowered because you get killed in a 1v3 where the other 3 players have spent 20 res each?

quote:

qwertyasdf
Nov 11, 2003

The shotgun is like the lerk. If some one capable of using it has it, they are the destroyer of worlds and changer of games. If you are lovely like I and most pubs are, then its really loving expensive and not a large boost to my K/D (read: effectiveness).

Once again it comes down to you have to balance to pros, not to the pubs, so it probably is balanced. I am pretty sure its entire thing is to stop skulks and lerks from being as viable later in the game.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
Complaining about dying as a skulk after being shot at 21 times by 60 res worth of equipment is the most asinine complaint I've ever heard about NS2.

Most of these complaints can be solved if more pub commanders researched leap early and not wait until after the 15-20 minute mark.

Mushball
May 23, 2012

Addict posted:

The shotgun is like the lerk. If some one capable of using it has it, they are the destroyer of worlds and changer of games. If you are lovely like I and most pubs are, then its really loving expensive and not a large boost to my K/D (read: effectiveness).

Once again it comes down to you have to balance to pros, not to the pubs, so it probably is balanced. I am pretty sure its entire thing is to stop skulks and lerks from being as viable later in the game.

Since I'm also a lousy player, my resources are better off spent on mines, welders and jetpacks with pricey things like shotguns are fun diversions until I get better at the game.

also how far is the effective range on the NS2 shotgun? Its still a shotgun and should be used for close range combat but how sharp is the damage falloff at distances exceeding close to me?

Chucullinn
Dec 9, 2008

MorsAnima posted:

And the reloading on shotguns is ridiculous. LMG reloading is fair and balanced. 50 shots, of which 1/5th of those hitting can kill you (post-carapace). Shotgun? 1/8th of a magazine = dead. You know, sod all that. I just think the total lack of any meaningful recoil on rapidfiring a loving SHOTGUN annoys me most. Go take an automatic shotgun and rapidfire it down range, good luck finding your spread, since half the shots won't be on the target. BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM. Any of those hitting = dead. No skill needed, just blast the gently caress away. Jetpack+shotgun if for some reason you're playing marines and can't hit 1 in 8 shots. Reload? Better fly away.

Now that people are figuring out jetpack+shotgun > exo for everything (hell, even seiging lately, since beacon doesn't take exos, and they're too slow anyway), skulks/fades are becoming more and more worthless. Fade can kill jetpackers in mid-air, but it takes serious timing on your part, and the marine NOT to unload a lethal blast in your face before you hit him, since the jump blink sends you flying towards them in a clear, straight line. Not to mention, jetpack+shotgun = 30 res, fade = 50 and the painstakingly long time it takes to evolve, while JP/SG is instant to buy.

Lately, it's been Skulk till shotguns are appearing, skulk some more while avoiding fights and killing RT's, Onos. Too many shotguns? Use onos to kill RT's now, and wait for stomp. They got jetpacks? Kill the power node, even if you die. Your team will win eventually.

Sad, that more and more people play Skulk > Onos. The rest is dope.

TLDR: Get a shotgun. Your aiming doesn't matter. Jump around like an idiot and spam, you only need to hit once.

I think this guy warrants a "naturalselection2players.txt" all to himself.

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012

Addict posted:

Mostly that, but it's also basically impossible to kill a high level fade without one.

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

MorsAnima posted:

Go take an automatic shotgun and rapidfire it down range, good luck finding your spread, since half the shots won't be on the target. BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM.

You know, you're totally right, I mean it's totally unrea- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOoUVeyaY_8&t=170s

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
edit: I'm a late idiot

Also, why the hell are people complaining about shotgun realism considering the ridiculous gunplay NS2 has in general.

Whoops, I'm a moron.
VVVV

Homeless Friend fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Dec 19, 2012

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012

Homeless Friend posted:

Build 223 has been released:

It was released a page ago.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I think maybe I saw this while playing on a server tonight? Does it appear to "freeze" the player in place (like he's lagging out)?

Yep that's it.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

Justin Credible posted:

You know, you're totally right, I mean it's totally unrea- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOoUVeyaY_8&t=170s

Hahaha, that's awesome. Apparently the NS2 shotgun is unrealistic 'cause you can't roll with a pair of 'em, 20 round magazines each. I think I have a new channel to throw on for background noise.

Had some fun pub plays last night where I ninja'd phase gates outside two hives that each resulted in kills! Unfortunately they were well past the 20 minute mark, the first time I could convince anyone to leave our side of the map, and far enough apart that they could regrow one :smith:.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

Justin Credible posted:

Best :iceburn: I've seen this month :golfclap:

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

I AM CURRENTLY JACKING OFF TO PICTURES OF MUTILATED FEMALE CORPSES, IT'S ALL VERY DEEP AND SOPHISTICATED BUT IT'S JUST TOO FUCKING HIGHBROW FOR YOU NON-MISOGYNISTS TO UNDERSTAND

:siren:P.S. STILL COMPLETELY DEVOID OF MERIT:siren:
This is pure horseshit, triple refined.

I can't count the number of times I've died after someone goes Onos. 3 adrenaline Onos spamming stomp? Dodge out of the way of all 3, but then the 4th one hits? Goodbye, you didn't die because they're better than you, you died because they have more hitpoints than you have bullets, and eventually one of those idiots is bound to use the ability that renders you unable to shoot or move in the right direction.

And the lack of reload on onos attacks is ridiculous. Skulk bites are fair and balanced. 25-75 damage, so it takes 3 bites to kill you (post Armor 1). Onos? two gores = dead. You know, sod all that. I think the lack of any meaningful stun or loss of control after hitting the head of a loving SPACE RHINO annoys me the most. Go take a rhinoceros down to a field and make it charge a metal bulkhead, good luck having it do anything meaningful afterwards, since its going to be dazed. STOMP STOMP STOMP STOMP STOMP. Any of those hitting = dead. No skill needed, just hang out by a shift and hold down alt-fire. Onos + gorge if for some reason you're playing aliens and need to run into base. Taking damage? Better run back to your heal station so you can do it again in 30 seconds.

Now that people are figuring out Onos > Fade for everything (hell, even base assaults lately, since no Alien com ever researches vortex), Exos are becoming more and more worthless. Exos can kill onos, but it requires a very long hallway, and for the aliens to NOT have a single skulk start biting the exo, since exos can't shoot, punch, or step on a single skulk biting their feet. Not to mention Onos = 75 res, Dual Exo = 75, plus the long time to research, to move that exo to where its needed, and the fact marine commanders can't even drop the dual-gun version.

Lately its been LMG till 2nd hive, then camp base and halls while protecting my precious KtD ratio, jetpack. Too many Onos? Get JP+Flamer to piss off the aliens and wait for the game to end due to 7 onos rushing main.

Sad, that more and more people play LMG > Jetpack. The rest is pointless.

TLDR: Whore for onos. Your skill doesn't matter. Unlike Marines, you can evolve to one with one hive. Run around like an idiot and spam attacks, run back to hive when you are at 75% health.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Onos with stomp means marines were losing well before the onos.

And if you manage an onos on 1 hive then that says a lot more about the marines than the aliens.

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010

Guesticles posted:

Lately its been LMG till 2nd hive, then camp base and halls while protecting my precious KtD ratio, jetpack.

I think I found your problem.

Also, stomp depletes so much energy that even with adrenaline they are going to get one or two gores then be sitting ducks. The answer to this is that you stop trying to be ~*Uber wulfpax solo 1 v 1*~ and work with your teammates. Onoses are pretty easy to kill when focus fired (even when there's four of them).

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Onos with stomp is the 'aliens win, end of round' of NS2, just like they were in NS1. I don't know why you are raging, if aliens have 3 hives and more than one or two onos , the game's hit 30+ minutes and you've lost as marine. That's just how it is and is intended to be.

For less skilled players, I'd like them to decrease the damage and up the fire rate and reload rate of shotgun. I really only get one chance, maybe two to hit an incoming skulk before I'm dead and out 20 res. To me, I'll just use the rife until I get jetpack+flamer.

vvvvv He's got a huge red title and a shitposting history so I actually think he's serious.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Dec 19, 2012

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
How are people responding to that post as though it isn't satire? :psyduck:

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010
Poes law. That and I don't refresh the NS thread too often. For some reason I thought it was the other side of the same coin.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

RabidWeasel posted:

How are people responding to that post as though it isn't satire? :psyduck:

Yeah I thought the bolding of the word meaningful was a pretty dead giveaway.

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

These Christmas ready rooms are wonderful. You can even throw snowballs. :allears:

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

TheSpiritFox posted:

Yeah I thought the bolding of the word meaningful was a pretty dead giveaway.

The fact that it was almost completely identical in format to the previous shipost about JP+shotties was also a good clue.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
I didn't read the shotgun post that closely after the "dodge 20 shotgun blasts" bit.
Plus bolding doesn't come across so noticeably on my phone :colbert:

but uhh, whoops

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

You know, the one thing this game does need is gibs.

I would love it if alien life forms, once they were pushed past death, could have like a wing blown off and then they die in like 5 seconds. Make it reduce energy/stamina to 0 and the skulks hobble around on three legs or the lerk crashes to the ground before expiring. It would be easy to balance given the standard respawn times with eggs and such so that there were no actual gameplay change except for a marine's ability to walk up to a downed lerk and finish him off with a shotgun blast or a swing of the multitool.

I admit the primary reason I want this is the opposite scenario where I get a marine's torso impaled on my Onos's horn or I get that perfect face bite for the kill as skulk and tear the marines head off and carry it around in my jaws until I bite or he does that fade out/disintigrate thing. It would be hilarious if you could tear off a marine's arm and he dies in a few seconds but is still running around bleeding out with nothing his team can do to save him.

I so want to see "Kill the fucker who's got my leg!" in All chat.

TheSpiritFox fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Dec 20, 2012

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

TheSpiritFox posted:

I would love it if alien life forms, once they were pushed past death, could have like a wing blown off and then they die in like 5 seconds. Make it reduce energy/stamina to 0 and the skulks hobble around on three legs or the lerk crashes to the ground before expiring. It would be easy to balance given the standard respawn times with eggs and such so that there were no actual gameplay change except for a marine's ability to walk up to a downed lerk and finish him off with a shotgun blast or a swing of the multitool.

I admit the primary reason I want this is the opposite scenario where I get a marine's torso impaled on my Onos's horn or I get that perfect face bite for the kill as skulk and tear the marines head off and carry it around in my jaws until I bite or he does that fade out/disintigrate thing. It would be hilarious if you could tear off a marine's arm and he dies in a few seconds but is still running around bleeding out with nothing his team can do to save him.

Woh woh woh, let's slow down. They still have to implement decals, afterall :v:

BlackJoo
Sep 26, 2011

That's not a dagger, it's called a syringe!

TheSpiritFox posted:

This would be amazing.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
It also sounds incredibly unrealistic and a massive amount of coding and asset creation required for a somewhat minor feature.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

AgentF posted:

It also sounds incredibly unrealistic and a massive amount of coding and asset creation required for a somewhat minor feature.
A somewhat awesome feature!

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

TheSpiritFox posted:

While not quite as extravagant as your idea, I would love to see some better death-indicators for marines and aliens in the form of damaged models, particle effects, and perhaps some simple death animations. Even several months past release, I find myself and other players constantly putting extra rounds into dead aliens, gorges and lerks especially. Death-sounds are easily drowned-out by gunfire and voice chat, and ragdolls have a nasty habit of flying/sliding across the room at the same velocity and position they died in.

While I wouldn't turn down high-quality, euphoria-enhanced death animations, something as simple as a "big green blood splatter effect shooting out of the model on death" alongside with an audible "exoskeleton cracking like a cooked lobster" effect that stands out among the chaos would go a long way towards reducing the amount of confusion that can occur during a gun-battle.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

TheSpiritFox posted:

While I agree that there should be some more cinematics as deaths are pretty cut and dry as it is right now, nothing should leave a player "hobbling" and sluggishly slow just to be an easy kill. Losing control of your character is horrible gameplay design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dave Mustard
Jan 23, 2007
Let me introduce myself, I'm a social disease.
Can onos still swallow people whole?

• Locked thread