Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

TEBOW 3 16 posted:

VVV I've only played for a few days since like September. Did they actually make the Kishock good?

No it's always been good. If you're sniping with it then it's got a bit of a learning curve and it also suffers off-host when the lag is bad.

No hipfire means you can also use it like a shotgun. On an infiltrator if you start charging before you cloak you can release it at point blank without using the aim. You'll still have your cloak up so once it's reloaded you can fire off another shot with the cloak bonus. Also you can get the extra damage in rank 6 of cloak because it's a sniper rifle.

FCS did a post about it a while back which laid all of this out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Man I really hope they drop one more expansion and give us a class with Dominate. I never appreciated how fun Sabotage was until now and I wanna do that to Praetorians. :getin:

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Got three Drell class cards from my last reserve pack. Infiltrator, Vanguard and Adept. I think the game's trying to tell me something.

I guess I'll try the infiltrator, it looks like a pretty neat variation. I always just use the Salarian.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

The volus vanguard is amazing. Of course, I have no idea what I'm doing with him, but I'm just charging things as fast as possible and dying a lot because of the low health, and it rules. It's probably not really true, but it feels like his charge is even faster than a normal vanguard's charge.

Whoever recommended going with the Bonus Power on charge rank 6, you were absolutely right. This allows me to get the maximum amount of charge possible.

Magil of Shadow
Dec 28, 2009

Proposal: Form a friendly relationship immediately.

"You have GOT to be kidding me"

precision posted:

Man I really hope they drop one more expansion and give us a class with Dominate. I never appreciated how fun Sabotage was until now and I wanna do that to Praetorians. :getin:

Combine this with the same class giving me Flare, and I'll never touch a gun wielding class ever again.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

precision posted:

They've said that Dominate is something that they aren't going to put into MP because they don't think they can do it right.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Burning Mustache posted:

He's a decent sniper but I prefer to use him as a shotgun Infiltrator myself and use the SalInf as my dedicated sniping class instead. Hunter mode is quite handy for shotgun Infiltrator.
Yeah, Geth Infiltrator is great with a shotgun.

If you take a Geth Infiltrator down the sniper route then it's a great opportunity to break out the Javelin. Hunter Mode makes it a lot easier to pick hidden targets, and you can be a pretty drat effective boss killer.

The comedy option is to put a GPS on and pretend to be a hunter. Sadly the Geth suicide bomber Melee Infiltrator isn't as good as it used to be.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

zxqv8 posted:

I do exactly that with the Batarian. It works like a charm.
Speaking of the BatVan, I really want that kit.
I only had the credits to buy one Reserve Pack last night, since I just played those couple gold games and then lost the mood to play after I had a little break.
The pack didn't even have a character card in it though, but a gun card. However, it was a Talon upgrade so I guess I'm not complaining.

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Yeah, Geth Infiltrator is great with a shotgun.

If you take a Geth Infiltrator down the sniper route then it's a great opportunity to break out the Javelin. Hunter Mode makes it a lot easier to pick hidden targets, and you can be a pretty drat effective boss killer.

The comedy option is to put a GPS on and pretend to be a hunter. Sadly the Geth suicide bomber Melee Infiltrator isn't as good as it used to be.

I used to have so much fun microwaving crowds of mooks into goo. :unsmith:

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Hooray, I finally got a Krogan vanguard! Thank you, Reserves packs!
This guy just doesn't die, does he? Juggernaut shield V, strength amp and a shotgun with an omni blade on seemed to let me murder practically everything with melee, even Banshees.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Quote-Unquote posted:

Hooray, I finally got a Krogan vanguard! Thank you, Reserves packs!
This guy just doesn't die, does he? Juggernaut shield V, strength amp and a shotgun with an omni blade on seemed to let me murder practically everything with melee, even Banshees.
Yeah, unless you're horribly incompetent at the game, pretty much the only thing you have to worry about is getting sync-killed. And even those can largely be avoided if you have a good sense of timing and abuse the sloped surfaces.
Naturally, against Geth even that little worry goes out the window and you can just smash things to your heart's content. Just keep your charge cooldown short enough and ideally use Cyclonic Modulators, and you can just wade into melee with entire spawns.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Extra Smooth Balls posted:

I used to have so much fun microwaving crowds of mooks into goo. :unsmith:

It was one of those specs that sounded really dumb until I tried it, at which point is became basically the only thing I played for a week.

subroc
Jun 5, 2004

Is anyone else getting a huge delay between when you click the buy button and when your new items are displayed?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
While I was trying out the Batarian adept I found it was kind of strange. I went with the 6/6/6/4/4 build. It actually seems like a better character on silver than bronze because you don't really pack that big of an instant punch, so if you're playing with a bunch of people who have one-shot kill powers on bronze you're not gonna keep up with them on score. On silver it was a little more effective because the debuff of your warp is pretty valuable. I imagine it would be an ok Gold character too since even at 4 fitness you're pretty durable (although not as durable as other Batarian classes of course). Lash and warp is really nice if you don't hit a lot of armored characters (it's surprisingly effective against collectors and warp + cluster grenades is pretty darn effective against bosses). gently caress it's impossible to kill geth bombers.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I don't know if this is the right call yet or not, but I opted into skipping Homing Grenades on my Drellfiltrator entirely, going 6/0/6/6/6 with maxed out weapon damage + range/vulnerability in the Recon Mine tree. I put HVB + Piercing mods on my Black Widow, Sniper Amp V for gear, and Drill/AP rounds. Put down a Recon Mine near enemy spawns, shoot them through the friggin' wall, detonate mine to mop up the rest and stagger in between reloads. It's pretty brutal.

subroc
Jun 5, 2004

Yeah I think that's the way to go. I went 5/3/6/6/6 because I wanted to roll with a Claymore, but I think I might reroll again to a 6/0/6/6/6 and use a Valiant/BW.

The problem with the Homing Grenade is that it's too drat slow. Both to fire and the travel time. The time I take to fire off a grenade I could have reload-cancelled two Claymore shots. I never used a Demolisher too much (boring camping class) so I never realised how kinda poo poo Homing Grenades are.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The weird thing about Recon Mine is that it doesn't appear to interact with Cloak at all, either in the launch or detonation, so if you just hit the button while in stealth without shooting, you'll get the super long expiration cooldown. But if you use it while carrying a heavy weapon without first hitting Cloak, you'll also get some prohibitively long cooldown. So if you want to set up a Recon Mine between waves effectively, you need to hit Cloak, launch the mine, then shoot into nothing to get the normal cooldown timer. It's kind of an awkward process.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
I tried out a 5/6/5/4/6 Slasher last night on gold, took the last two melee evolutions and ran it with a kishock and a stronghold package. It's a promising class, I found even with the last two melee evolutions I felt my falcon punch a little underwhelming, probably because I didn't have an omni-bladed weapon. lash-warp is a nice move on clusters of mooks, and warp/nades is a decent boss attack. Overall it'll take me some getting used to but it's not a bad class.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

exquisite tea posted:

The weird thing about Recon Mine is that it doesn't appear to interact with Cloak at all, either in the launch or detonation, so if you just hit the button while in stealth without shooting, you'll get the super long expiration cooldown. But if you use it while carrying a heavy weapon without first hitting Cloak, you'll also get some prohibitively long cooldown. So if you want to set up a Recon Mine between waves effectively, you need to hit Cloak, launch the mine, then shoot into nothing to get the normal cooldown timer. It's kind of an awkward process.

Yeah, that's a bit weird and takes a while to get used to.
What I wonder is, does detonating the mine during Cloak yield more damage? Or maybe you get a damage boost only when placing it during Cloak (which you should be doing all the time anyway to get the Cloak cooldown)?

And related, how do the Homing Grenades work with regards to Cloak?
Do you get a damage boost if you fire them off while in Cloak or do you have to Cloak just before they actually detonate on their target?

So many questions :tali:

But other than that I gotta say I really like the Drellfiltrator so far. He's pretty drat good at locking down entire rooms or corridors just by himself and sniping just feels right with that class.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

If it's like other powers, the damage bonus should apply as long as they're fired under cloak.

Gonna second using snipers on the Drell. The only infiltrator with a higher sniper damage bonus is the GI with full damage Hunter Mode, and that's only for the Javelin.

Pumpking
Oct 27, 2007

Who is number 1?

subroc posted:

The problem with the Homing Grenade is that it's too drat slow. Both to fire and the travel time. The time I take to fire off a grenade I could have reload-cancelled two Claymore shots. I never used a Demolisher too much (boring camping class) so I never realised how kinda poo poo Homing Grenades are.

Its also nice to not have to compete for grenades with your team mates to be effective. Which is getting increasingly common with how many kits now have grenades, and how powerful they are.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Burning Mustache posted:

Yeah, that's a bit weird and takes a while to get used to.
What I wonder is, does detonating the mine during Cloak yield more damage? Or maybe you get a damage boost only when placing it during Cloak (which you should be doing all the time anyway to get the Cloak cooldown)?

And related, how do the Homing Grenades work with regards to Cloak?
Do you get a damage boost if you fire them off while in Cloak or do you have to Cloak just before they actually detonate on their target?

So many questions :tali:

But other than that I gotta say I really like the Drellfiltrator so far. He's pretty drat good at locking down entire rooms or corridors just by himself and sniping just feels right with that class.

Subroc tested this briefly, and recon mine appears to work like arc grenade - cloak is checked at detonation rather than firing. Since this seems true for most non-interacting powers, it probably holds for homing grenades too (which seems like it would be awkward too time). Recon mine, at least, should work well with the regular cloak/fire cycle: just cloak->recon mine->shoot->cloak->detonate->shoot.

Actually, homing grenade could probably work as a reload cancel for single-shot snipers (depending on range):

Cloak -> recon -> shoot -> homing -> cloak -> detonate -> (homing hits) -> shoot (or just cancel cloak if everything is dead)

Stickman fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Dec 19, 2012

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

Stickman posted:

Subroc tested this briefly, and recon mine appears to work like arc grenade - cloak is checked at detonation rather than firing. Since this seems true for most non-interacting powers, it probably holds for homing grenades too (which seems like it would be awkward too time). Recon mine, at least, should work well with the regular cloak/fire cycle: just cloak->recon mine->shoot->cloak->detonate->shoot.

Yeah, I've been playing it like this so far (because I assumed it would check for Cloak at the time of detonation rather than be dependent on when the mine was set up) and it works pretty well, as it's pretty much the same as the standard Cloak -> Prox. Mine -> Shoot rhythm one should be used to from the Salarian and Geth Infiltrators anyway.

Stickman posted:

Cloak -> recon -> shoot -> homing -> cloak -> detonate -> (homing hits) -> shoot (or just cancel cloak if everything is dead)

And that seems a bit too much effort for me to actively get right all the time.
I guess I can live without the bonus damage on Homing Grenades 100% of the time.
It's not like I'm massively relying on them anyway.

I do kind of like them because they soften up armored bosses fairly well, even if it's just a very situational thing (especially since my current spec just allows for 2 grenades), but at the same time I don't really want to give them up completely.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

subroc posted:

I never used a Demolisher too much (boring camping class) so I never realised how kinda poo poo Homing Grenades are.

In combination with having arc grenades, homing are great. It's not the grenade, it's the other powers. Demolisher works great with them.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Psion posted:

In combination with having arc grenades, homing are great. It's not the grenade, it's the other powers. Demolisher works great with them.

Yeah, I was playing Platinum Reapers on Giant with my Demolisher last night. There was another demolisher on the team, plus a Geth Infiltrator and a Vorcha Sentinel. We all had incendiary ammo equipped. The other demolisher was spamming arc grenades, I was spamming homing grenades, the Vorcha spammed cluster grenades and used flamer extensively while the Geth repeatededly went cloak-BLAM at anything that got close. We camped the LZ and dumped the two pylons on top of each other so we were all getting the bonuses to shields, power damage and weapon damage.

The techsplosions and fire explosions all over the place were beautiful. Full extraction in about 22 minutes. Easiest Platinum game ever.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

UnknownMercenary posted:

Gonna second using snipers on the Drell. The only infiltrator with a higher sniper damage bonus is the GI with full damage Hunter Mode, and that's only for the Javelin.

This is a minor point, but the geth gets higher damage bonuses with everything.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

Pumpking posted:

Its also nice to not have to compete for grenades with your team mates to be effective. Which is getting increasingly common with how many kits now have grenades, and how powerful they are.

If you have enough grenade capacity (I end up with around nine or ten depending on equipment/how I spec) and move your pylon around with you it's not such a huge problem.

Also you can always just burn an ammo pack if you're desperate. I'm sure we've all got like a million of em.

HOTLANTA MAN fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Dec 19, 2012

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Unlocked the Drellfiltrator as well, and found him pretty cool. Tried an Indra first, but that requires standing still too much. Switched to a Valiant, and that works like a charm. I'm not the best at aiming, and the Valiant is nicely forgiving. Got into a nice groove with Cloak -> Recon -> Shoot -> Detonate. Homing grenades I mostly use for softening up bosses and nuking Dragoons.

Also, I finally got the Harrier. :toot: :woop: :getin:

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
Welp, finally got a Destroyer. Took him out for a spin with 0 points in missile launcher and a harrier, seemed to do alright. I don't yet have a typhoon, what other guns are good on this bad boy?

Pumpking
Oct 27, 2007

Who is number 1?

TEBOW 3 16 posted:

If you have enough grenade capacity (I end up with around nine or ten depending on equipment/how I spec) and move your pylon around with you it's not such a huge problem.

Also you can always just burn an ammo pack if you're desperate. I'm sure we've all got like a million of em.

I was referring mainly to the Drell infiltrator. Yeah its a non issue with the demolisher and there are ways around it for kits which actually need grenades to do well. I'm not convinced the DI is one of them though.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
You guys are right, DI is just too fragile to make a good melee build out of, so I guess he's a sniper.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.
I take it the store does not stop giving you a weapon or character once you maxed it out with a level X or all customization options?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I think that's only true for common and uncommon cards.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Only common characters (the basic human ones) will repeat forever. Everything else gets replaced by consumables once it reaches X/all of the customization options.

Lynx
Nov 4, 2009

TheDK posted:

Welp, finally got a Destroyer. Took him out for a spin with 0 points in missile launcher and a harrier, seemed to do alright. I don't yet have a typhoon, what other guns are good on this bad boy?

Besides the Harrier and Typhoon, I like running the Piranha (make sure you take the accuracy and rate of fire boosts in Devastator Mode), Particle Rifle, and Hurricane on my Destroyer. Only problem with the Hurricane is that the capacity bonus gives you an odd number of rounds in the magazine, meaning you have to reload manually every time.* The Destroyer's pretty good at grinding out the SMG/AR challenges, and can really make most bad weapons into useful ones (or at least usable), so feel free to experiment a little.

*I haven't run a Hurricane on a Destroyer since before they reduced the capacity bonus, so this may not apply anymore.

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.

TheDK posted:

I prefer the Particle Rifle, though that is also an ultra rare. With a capacity mod and incendiary ammo, you can really lay the hurt down on trash and bosses alike. And it's pinpoint accurate, which is my major beef with the Typhoon.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Lynx posted:

Besides the Harrier and Typhoon, I like running the Piranha (make sure you take the accuracy and rate of fire boosts in Devastator Mode), Particle Rifle, and Hurricane on my Destroyer. Only problem with the Hurricane is that the capacity bonus gives you an odd number of rounds in the magazine, meaning you have to reload manually every time.* The Destroyer's pretty good at grinding out the SMG/AR challenges, and can really make most bad weapons into useful ones (or at least usable), so feel free to experiment a little.

*I haven't run a Hurricane on a Destroyer since before they reduced the capacity bonus, so this may not apply anymore.

Don't take the magazine size evolution and this problem no longer happens.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Lynx posted:

Hmm I actually went with magazine size over rate of fire, thinking I would want as much ammo in that harrier as possible. I could see how rate of fire would be nice on something like the typhoon or hurricane though. Current spec: http://narida.pytalhost.com/me3/classes/#Soldier/NDestroyer/OALLR//////

Also I swear I will accept one of your invites one of these days when I'm not a good portion of the way through a match, so please keep sending them to me! :shepface:

Beach
Dec 13, 2004

No sign of intelligent life on this planet.
Will Overload cause tech explosions with ammo effects like incendiary?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Beach posted:

Will Overload cause tech explosions with ammo effects like incendiary?

Yes.

So I got the volus vanguard, he seems great but ultra squishy, I find myself having to use the shield boost for the protection thing and then charging.

Any suggestions on a build or weapon for him?

• Locked thread