Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Krabkolash
Dec 7, 2006

With this hand I rolled 8d20

AND GOT 160.

Duckman2008 posted:

Honest question: are you always ignoring wifi when you are near it (aka at home)? I definitely can agree its easy to rack up numbers in LTE, but 9/10 people have wifi at least at home or work, and I would think that having one of those would really dampen usage. This is my first month using an LTE phone and I'm on pace for 10GB, and I would think to use more I would have to do stuff that I normally do at home (large downloads, etc).

50GBs as a light month just seems excessive, as someone trying to use as much as possible.

He has said he uses his phone for HD Netflix to his TV due to the LTE bandwith. So that is probably what it is moreso than anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

When I had my galaxy nexus, the LTE speeds beat the crap out of my lovely cable Internet and I hardly used wifi. This would result in an a average month of about 7-8 gigs.

Now that I have decent fiber at home, I pretty much live off of wifi and my average data usage has dropped quite a bit.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

Subterfrugal posted:

Is it worth it to pay retail for a new phone to hold onto my grandfathered data status or is it going to be yanked away in the near future?

Make sure the shared plan won't cost you more. In my case going, to a family share would cost me about $20/month more so over the life of the contract I'm going to make back a pretty good portion of the lost subsidy by paying retail. I have the added bonus of keeping unlimited data and being able to dump Verizon whenever after March 2013 rolls around.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Duckman2008 posted:

Honest question: are you always ignoring wifi when you are near it (aka at home)? I definitely can agree its easy to rack up numbers in LTE, but 9/10 people have wifi at least at home or work, and I would think that having one of those would really dampen usage. This is my first month using an LTE phone and I'm on pace for 10GB, and I would think to use more I would have to do stuff that I normally do at home (large downloads, etc).

50GBs as a light month just seems excessive, as someone trying to use as much as possible.

:ssh:I'm using so much because I don't have wifi @ home. :ssh:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Oh cool, another loving "My data dick is bigger than your data dick" argument.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

I'm leaning toward dropping 200 bucks for a 4G T-mobile phone/value plan. Is there anyway I could pass my grandfathered verizon plan/number to someone else? I'd hate for it to just lapse when someone else could use it.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
Please forgive me if a similar question was asked before:

The USB port on my wife's Droid 4 broke. Motorola support said we can send it in to get replaced/repaired for free if they deem it to be a manufacturer defect. Not wanting to be without a phone and frustration with Android in general, we got her an iPhone. The plan is to activate the iPhone, send the Droid 4 in for repair/replacement, and then sell the Droid 4 when we get it back and continue using the iPhone.

My question is, will this cause any changes/problems? We both have unlimited data, and since activating a different phone doesn't change the contract, as far as I know we/she should keep unlimited. The ESN will remain clean on the Droid 4 and it can be sold with no worries in that regard to my knowledge. Is there anything I'm missing, or will this plan work out?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

yamdankee posted:

Please forgive me if a similar question was asked before:

The USB port on my wife's Droid 4 broke. Motorola support said we can send it in to get replaced/repaired for free if they deem it to be a manufacturer defect. Not wanting to be without a phone and frustration with Android in general, we got her an iPhone. The plan is to activate the iPhone, send the Droid 4 in for repair/replacement, and then sell the Droid 4 when we get it back and continue using the iPhone.

My question is, will this cause any changes/problems? We both have unlimited data, and since activating a different phone doesn't change the contract, as far as I know we/she should keep unlimited. The ESN will remain clean on the Droid 4 and it can be sold with no worries in that regard to my knowledge. Is there anything I'm missing, or will this plan work out?

Didn't the Droid 4 come out in like January? It should still be under the year warranty that any new phone comes with. You shouldn't be going through Motorola, you should be going through Verizon.

Unless she dumped her phone in water, they're not going to charge you anything for it. I've sent in plenty of phones with faulty charging ports and have never gotten charged.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
Yeah it was bought new in June through Amazon. So it was a Verizon upgrade through Amazon. I should still go through Verizon? Or should I go through Amazon?

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

FCKGW posted:

Oh cool, another loving "My data dick is bigger than your data dick" argument.

Sorry if my questions about Verzion Wireless don't conform to your standards of discussion in the Verizon Wireless Megathread.

My data use isn't some epeen polisher, I'm too cheap/poor to pay for both home internet and wireless, so I combine the two because I can within the limits of my contract. I'm trying to find the most cost-effective way to keep doing that now that my LG revolution is falling apart.

ETA:

Philip Rivers posted:

You're the reason we don't have unlimited data anymore. Thanks a lot, jerk. :mad:

This isn't worth a new post as I'm sure this has been done to death in this thread but you are right that greedy people are the reason you don't have unlimited data anymore. Surprise! It isn't the consumer.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Dec 17, 2012

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Subterfrugal posted:

I'm leaning toward dropping 200 bucks for a 4G T-mobile phone/value plan. Is there anyway I could pass my grandfathered verizon plan/number to someone else? I'd hate for it to just lapse when someone else could use it.
I want to do this, too, but I also want to keep my Verizon number. Can I do the thing where I add another line and move the number to it, then port the number from that line?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

yamdankee posted:

Yeah it was bought new in June through Amazon. So it was a Verizon upgrade through Amazon. I should still go through Verizon? Or should I go through Amazon?

Call Verizon and tell them that you're charging port will no longer work. They'll probably ask you if you've ever dropped the phone and poo poo like that. Say no to all of those, and they'll send you another Droid 4.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I'd rather go through motorola than verizon. With Verizon you are going to get a refurb swap whereas motorola will actually repair the device and send it back to you. Also, if Verizon determines that whatever they get shouldn't be covered under warranty, they are going to autocharge like $350 for the device replacement.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Duckman2008 posted:

EbolaIvory has already been through this at least 5 times, so here's the cliff notes
He watches netflix at his lady friend's house. A lot.
He doesn't have internet at home anymore, so he uses his phone when he's there.
Lots of video streaming
Phone with HDMI out +TV + Netflix
Did I mention Netflix?

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer
Thing is, the whole point of mobile data is for you to use on the go, when it's impossible to get wifi/fixed location network.
Sure you can use it to download/stream a bunch of poo poo while you are at a fixed location when other means of network is available. But it's kinda of a dick thing to do and slows things down for other people who are actually using it when wifi/fixed location network isn't possible.

TBH I've used mine for my desktop just few weeks ago, but it was in a pinch while trying to get my cable fixed and I only did light browsing or whatever since I know other people outside might need the bandwidth more than I do.

DaNzA fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Dec 17, 2012

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

I think it is what you pay/contract for. I got my first mobile phone in Korea almost 10 years ago, and I'm reasonably sure I got better value and speed even then. The grandfathered Verizon plan I was sold two years ago promised unlimited "blazing fast speeds." I made my decision to forego home internet for the pricier mobile plan based on that understanding.

Verizon promised a certain type of service and then realized they oversold their ability to deliver it. Rather than build in the capacity necessary to keep their word, they blamed their users for tapping too much of a community pool that doesn't exist. Do we all get credits when Verizon's data usage is less than they expect? No. They've made truckloads of money by using big down-loaders as a pretense for screwing over the majority of their customer base.

This isn't the tragedy of the commons. It is a sophisticated company leveraging the power they have over individual consumers while pointing finger at heavy users.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Duckman2008 posted:

I use Wifi at home. When I remember. My home internet is the same speed at our top end of LTE here. So I dont notice most of the time. Hotspot + Steaming Music + Syncing services = poo poo tons of data.

SeaborneClink posted:

EbolaIvory has already been through this at least 5 times, so here's the cliff notes
He watches netflix at his lady friend's house. A lot.
He doesn't have internet at home anymore, so he uses his phone when he's there.
Lots of video streaming
Phone with HDMI out +TV + Netflix
Did I mention Netflix?

NO no. I do have home internet. I'm just not home much. Which leads to the data going up up up. More I'm home, lower it is.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

resident posted:

Make sure the shared plan won't cost you more. In my case going, to a family share would cost me about $20/month more so over the life of the contract I'm going to make back a pretty good portion of the lost subsidy by paying retail. I have the added bonus of keeping unlimited data and being able to dump Verizon whenever after March 2013 rolls around.

You aren't (yet) forced to go to a shared data plan if you upgrade, you simply have to choose a different tiered single-line data plan. For many this may still be more expensive - I stream music during my commute so I use 3-4GB monthly so it would be a similar cost, I'd have to pay an extra $20/month if I didn't change my usage. A lot of other people I know don't do nearly the same (or don't have an hour commute) and so the change to 2GB would not be a big deal.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.
I'm sorry, as soon as Verizon's coverage map looks like it really is in the real world, they can bitch about me using 16 gigs a month. In fact, Verizon's coverage area has gone down since I came under contract. I wish there was an app that would track the difference.

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

:getout:
I went to the Verizon store today and pulled the trigger on the razr maxx hd. I Gotta say its fan loving tastic. Everything about it is exactly what I wanted. The build quality is exceptional, the software buttons are much preferred over the sg3 or even the ones on the razr maxx. And its heavy. Which for me is super since I like to know what I'm holing. I grabbed a 32 gig microsd card while I was there for around 64 gigs.and jelly bean :)

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Is there any tricks to getting VZ Backup Assistant to work? The contacts on my brother's Galaxy Nexus were all saved locally (not Google contacts) but somehow got deleted. Whenever we try to access VZ Backup Assistant it keeps us stuck on an endless 'Checking Account' loop on either Wifi or 4G.

Failing that, would going into a VZ store be able to restore the contacts - or at least the last saved version?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Harlock posted:

Is there any tricks to getting VZ Backup Assistant to work? The contacts on my brother's Galaxy Nexus were all saved locally (not Google contacts) but somehow got deleted. Whenever we try to access VZ Backup Assistant it keeps us stuck on an endless 'Checking Account' loop on either Wifi or 4G.

Failing that, would going into a VZ store be able to restore the contacts - or at least the last saved version?

Jump online and try his account manager?

SinJin
Aug 2, 2008

InterceptorV8 posted:

I'm sorry, as soon as Verizon's coverage map looks like it really is in the real world, they can bitch about me using 16 gigs a month. In fact, Verizon's coverage area has gone down since I came under contract. I wish there was an app that would track the difference.

There's an app for that... sorta

See if you can use the app called Coverage. The maps auto update and I don't know if there is a way to track the changes over time.

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

bull3964 posted:

I'd rather go through motorola than verizon. With Verizon you are going to get a refurb swap whereas motorola will actually repair the device and send it back to you. Also, if Verizon determines that whatever they get shouldn't be covered under warranty, they are going to autocharge like $350 for the device replacement.

I agree - definitely go through Motorola if you can.

Verizon will go over your phone with an extremely fine tooth comb looking for microscopic blemishes or problems (that could even be completely unrelated to the issue you are having) and if they find any, blammo $300 charge to your account.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Man_of_Teflon posted:

I agree - definitely go through Motorola if you can.

Verizon will go over your phone with an extremely fine tooth comb looking for microscopic blemishes or problems (that could even be completely unrelated to the issue you are having) and if they find any, blammo $300 charge to your account.

I, personally haven't had this experience. As long as moisture sensors haven't been tripped, I've never had a problem exchanging even a relatively badly scuffed phone (my first Fascinate swap had taken a dive from 7feet onto an asphalt parking lot, scuffs and nicks all over the place).

My FIL has had his GNex exchanged twice now without incident even with some scuffs and food debris (yes, he's a relatively disgusting person).

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Just picked up a mint condition Droid RAZR XT912 off of Craiglist for $200 which included a 32gb memory stick, two cases and all of its assorted junk. :cool:

If y'all notice a drop in your speeds today that's me downloading linux isos out of spite.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

AlexDeGruven posted:

I, personally haven't had this experience. As long as moisture sensors haven't been tripped, I've never had a problem exchanging even a relatively badly scuffed phone (my first Fascinate swap had taken a dive from 7feet onto an asphalt parking lot, scuffs and nicks all over the place).

My FIL has had his GNex exchanged twice now without incident even with some scuffs and food debris (yes, he's a relatively disgusting person).

Yet, I believe we've already had a person in this thread who had screen damage try to get the charging port on his Galaxy Nexus repaired by Verizon and got slammed with the charge.

Also, Verizon's refurbs are TERRIBLE lately. They seem to be undergoing no quality control at all and chances are the phone you get back is going to have more problems than the phone you turned in.

Motorola has a very efficient online RMA and repair process that will turn YOUR phone around back to you in less than a week after receipt.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Subterfrugal posted:

Just picked up a mint condition Droid RAZR XT912 off of Craiglist for $200 which included a 32gb memory stick, two cases and all of its assorted junk. :cool:

If y'all notice a drop in your speeds today that's me downloading linux isos out of spite.

Good price for a decent phone! Just know that the battery life should be comparable to the Galaxy Nexus: a couple hours screen on time, or 1-2 days mostly just idling or screen off. I don't know if that's a big issue for you (it isn't for me), but I know some people get a little enraged at that.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

RVProfootballer posted:

Good price for a decent phone! Just know that the battery life should be comparable to the Galaxy Nexus: a couple hours screen on time, or 1-2 days mostly just idling or screen off. I don't know if that's a big issue for you (it isn't for me), but I know some people get a little enraged at that.

I figure if it ever really gets bad, I'll turn it into a FRANKENMAXX!!

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

bull3964 posted:

Yet, I believe we've already had a person in this thread who had screen damage try to get the charging port on his Galaxy Nexus repaired by Verizon and got slammed with the charge.

Please note my use of the phrase "I, personally". Not saying the person was wrong, just relating a different scenario.

The underlying current of this is that Verizon's customer service is lovely and inconsistent.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

EbolaIvory posted:

NO no. I do have home internet. I'm just not home much. Which leads to the data going up up up. More I'm home, lower it is.
Apologies! I thought you said in a post before that you didn't have internet at the lady friend's place.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

SeaborneClink posted:

Apologies! I thought you said in a post before that you didn't have internet at the lady friend's place.

Correct, At her place there is no internet. My place does have it though.

So somehow I've been getting a full day out of my Nexus again. No idea what I'm doing different!

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Dec 19, 2012

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

Is it weird to sell AT&T and use Verizon or are you even still doing that or how does that work.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

kbar posted:

Is it weird to sell AT&T and use Verizon or are you even still doing that or how does that work.

No longer with Att.

But no. It wasn't weird. And until lte rolled out att was legitimately better for data so selling smart phones was easy. Plus I could demo Verizon's "lovely" network.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

Man_of_Teflon posted:

Sorry, this isn't true at all.

They will charge you if it got wet, or some obvious physical damage. Any kind of cracked glass will fall into this category.

bull3964 posted:

This is true...if the screen is cracked, or other physical damage exists, even if the problem you are submitting for is something totally different, your warranty is voided...This is the same across all the manufacturers. This should have never been allowed to be replaced to begin with, its the reps fault for allowing the process to go through with a damaged screen.

bull3964 posted:

Also, Verizon's refurbs are TERRIBLE lately. They seem to be undergoing no quality control at all and chances are the phone you get back is going to have more problems than the phone you turned in.

Yeah, we have been seeing the same with Nexuses, and especially Stratospheres lately.. Have a customer on their 6th one in 3 weeks.

Mighty Horse fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Dec 19, 2012

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
I appreciate the responses, but my main reason for asking was to confirm that nothing on my plan would change by activating an iPhone. This is correct, right?

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

yamdankee posted:

I appreciate the responses, but my main reason for asking was to confirm that nothing on my plan would change by activating an iPhone. This is correct, right?

Assuming it was purchased at full retail price, or previously activated on another line, there will be no change to your plan. Obviously if you burned a subsidy to acquire that iPhone, you're kinda boned.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
Bought it used on SA-Mart, so no subsidies used.

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

yamdankee posted:

Bought it used on SA-Mart, so no subsidies used.

Then you my friend, are a-OK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

I tried installing foxfi on my HD maxx, and I got am error message saying that my order could not be processed? I even bought the paid version (I have since been refunded) and I had the same problem. I renamed and rebooted my phone before activating and had the problem again. This app worked fine on my original maxx. Has anyone had a similar problem?

• Locked thread