Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
Okay, I was not expecting coach. Yet looking at him now, I actually see a whistle attached to that giant chain. Can't say I expected a gangster either, for that matter. Looks like he was just flat out called a yakuza originally... or a gokudo, rather? Can definitely see why that went to gangster then.

... I really like the design on his tie. Kinda looks like a bull head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Kuzuryuu reminds me of Tatsuya Ukyo from Yakuza: Black Panther

It's probably the whole young guy with hair shearing who's got yakuza connections deal.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

orenronen posted:

To expand on it even more, our characters do not believe they are currently in Japan.

Well, yes. The only part of Japan south enough to resemble this is Okinawa (or possibly also the Bonin Islands), right?

TKMobile
Apr 30, 2009
I really, really, REALLY hope Nekomaru survives to the end.

And yet as awesome as he is, Miharu is the character I'm more interested in seeing develope. It's my hope that in DR2 the characters, more importantly the SURVIVING characters are a shitload more pro-active in the plot than last game and given her display here, things are off to a good start..

It's furthermore my pet dream that after the killings start, a clique of 'investigators' form and I wanna see her be part of it. Hell, that may be what the camera gets used for: collective evidence.

EdgeryWorthy
Oct 5, 2012

So what's your type? You're a herbivore guy, so do you prefer a carnivore girl?
I'm honestly not fond of how crazy and intense all these characters are so far. Compared to the introductions from DR1, most of these characters are just too over the top to really be interesting.

I'm sure that will change once we've spent a little time with them, but for now it's like half the characters are Ishimaru.

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

I shall admit my wickedness.
SHSL Photographer sounded like one of the most boring talents in the game... Until I've seen her voice actor. She's going to snap sooner or later, mark my words.

And yeah, Fuyuhiko gives some strong Togami vibes. This may be one of the minor reasons they've made Togami fat, not to mention dressing him in a suit of a different color. Having two lean unsociable heirs of powerful families in black suits would be too much.

Did Nekomaru train Leon? I don't remember Leon's achievements in detail, so I'm not sure they mean him.

And what is that LEVEL UP notification that we got?

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
Isn't the purpose of Hope's Peak to instill hope in people by raising narrow-fielded superhumans? If yes, how does a SHSL gangster fit in it? Yakuza doesn't strike me as the most hope-ly bunch of people, I wonder if he's going to be that honorable yakuza type hero.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Regy Rusty posted:

Come on Kuzuryuu, don't you know that gangsters embrace their weird nicknames? "Baby-face" should instill terror into the hearts of all who hear it.

His NAME is Fuyuhiko Kuzuryuu. NOT BABYFACE. <:mad:> You remember. And you tell your friends. He's Fuyuhiko Kuzuryuu. Born to raise hell.

apologies for lovely quality, that is apparently the best quality clip of that particular scene that Disney's lawyers will allow on Youtube

SingerOfW posted:

SHSL Photographer sounded like one of the most boring talents in the game...

You might be surprised there! She's covered wars, you know. :v:

Call Now posted:

Isn't the purpose of Hope's Peak to instill hope in people by raising narrow-fielded superhumans? If yes, how does a SHSL gangster fit in it? Yakuza doesn't strike me as the most hope-ly bunch of people, I wonder if he's going to be that honorable yakuza type hero.

Eh, the first game had a Japanese Hell's Angel in it; this is honestly more legit than that.

Rith
Oct 10, 2012

YOU'VE GOT THAT WRONG!

My immediate reaction to Kuzuryuu's official art was 'oh my God how cute', which would probably get me killed if I ever actually met him. No wonder he's so aggressive; it must be a hell of a struggle to make people take you seriously when you look so precious in your terrifying gangster getup.

Nice to meet Mahiru after five fantastically over-the-top characters in a row; I'm looking forward to seeing more of everyone in this game (with the possible exception of the chef, who unsettles me for some reason), but the occasional Mahiru or Souda is good for balance. I was very amused by her 'Everyone else here's kinda weird, don't you think?' line.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
Frances York Morgan is exceptionally rude. :mad:
He's like small dogs that bark all the time like they have something to prove instead of bigger dogs that are totally chill because they have body weight to back them up.

Mahiru seems almost too normal a person for this bunch. She could be the next Aoi, making it until the end or she could bite it early on with a personality like that.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

DaveWoo posted:

Oh boy, another SUPER-INTENSE character. Can't get enough of those. :geno:

Come on man, he's like Brian Blessed mixed with Shio Sakaki. Give him a chance.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Nidai is everything I wanted him to be. :allears: Is it normal for a coach to be wearing geta though? I was expecting him to be wearing sneakers.

Edit: I looked at Miharu's birthday, and I just realized it's very close to, if not the same day as Aoi's. Can't be bothered to dig up the DR1 thread to find if they're one and the same, though.

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Dec 20, 2012

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Hey Oren, I think you forgot to include the music links at the beginning of the update. I played it off my computer after realizing there was no music playing partway through.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
New update and I'm already loving DR2's cast more because they're so intense and impressing :allears:. On a related note, I wonder if there will be a alternate ending to DR2 where you do get all the hope shard and everyone lives happily ever after.

It will be not canonical, of course :moreevil:

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

FPzero posted:

Hey Oren, I think you forgot to include the music links at the beginning of the update. I played it off my computer after realizing there was no music playing partway through.

You're right.

It's "Beautiful Ruin [Summer Salt]" throughout again, and I'll add the link in a second.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

EdgeryWorthy posted:

I'm honestly not fond of how crazy and intense all these characters are so far. Compared to the introductions from DR1, most of these characters are just too over the top to really be interesting.

I'm sure that will change once we've spent a little time with them, but for now it's like half the characters are Ishimaru.
Yeah, I'm with you on that. My favorite characters so far are actually Mahiru and Souda, mostly because they're the only ones who don't have their personalities turned up to 11.

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Come on man, he's like Brian Blessed mixed with Shio Sakaki. Give him a chance.
Eh, if it was just Nekomaru, I wouldn't mind so much. But so far, we've got Crazy Hamster Supervillain, Girl Who Collapses Into Tears At The Drop of a Hat, Super Happy Peppy Punk Princess, and now Super Intense Trainer Dude.

And we still have seven more characters to go.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Amidst all the larger-than-life characters so far, Mahiru is quickly becoming my favorite.

By the way, I just thought of something. I know someone already argued that Togami's 'Heir' may be a real talent back in the first thread, but since DRZero told us that Hope's Peak is run by a bunch of money-grabbing scientists, maybe people like Togami and Fuyuhiko really aren't chosen for their 'talents', and are just means for the academy to get more money?

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Yes! Nidai is still awesome. Are those things on his eyebrows just suggested-lightning-bolts as an artistic choice, or are they an accessory? They kinda look like they're attached to his head in some way.
(edit: never mind, the official art confirms its an artistic choice. An awesome artistic choice.)

And I get the feeling "Gangster" was Fedules idea? I would have imagined Kuzuryuu's title being "Super High School Level Yakuza" myself.

Oxygen Deficiency fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Dec 20, 2012

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Just what we needed, a character who has no inside voice. Most of the other super-zany characters haven't bugged me so far, but I can see Nidai getting old if he doesn't learn to turn down the volume at some point.

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

And I get the feeling "Gangster" was Fedules idea? I would have imagined Kuzuryuu's title being "Super High School Level Yakuza" myself.
It probably was Yakuza, but gangster works well enough since it's almost certainly meant in the "Al Capone-esque mobster" sense, not the "street gang" sense.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

SingerOfW posted:

SHSL Photographer sounded like one of the most boring talents in the game... Until I've seen her voice actor. She's going to snap sooner or later, mark my words.
Yeah, you don't include Yuu Kobayashi in a game like this and then pass up a chance for her to do her insanity voices. For maximum effect, they can have her do the illustrations for the murder. (Warning: link contains kotaku)

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
Nekomaru Nidai is becoming one of my favorites, along with Souda, purely because of those lightning eyebrows.

orenronen posted:

And that art... That aura! If there's free-time events, I want to check his first! :allears:

And Kuzuryuu looks like a kid dressed up as a gangster in his official art.

Mahiru strikes me as more down-to-earth than most of the students so far. She doesn't even stand out much in her official art, which I found refreshing after Gundam's and Nidai's (as awesome as they are).

Zhauth
Sep 4, 2012
Now we've got ZEUS, Napoleon, and the person responsible for Chihiro putting on a skirt.

I do love how casual Mahiro's official art is. Everyone else's is some actiony or badass pose (including ACTION SLIPPING), but hers is just "Hey, can I take a picture of you?"

It's looking more and more like Not-Naegi just has an inappropriate sense of humor.

I hope Chibimi turns out to be adorable.

"After we gather every hope shard by becoming friends, then we can leave this island!"
Usami probably forgot to mention the part where after everyone becomes best friends, they get shoved onto the other four islands and are forced to kill each other, or else she'll go Night of the Lepus on their asses. Or something along those lines.

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.

orenronen posted:

...Hey, retard. You have any idea who I am? Guess not... since you’re still here.

Hey. You two. If you're done... get lost. Retards.
I'm curious if this is a localization thing, or if "retard" is in the original Japanese?

I don't personally know any Japanese gangsters, but I don't think I've seen them call anyone a retard in any media featuring yakuza. And (at least from my cultural point of view) calling someone a retard in America is usually something I associate rednecks and fratboys doing, and doesn't have that odd respectable-but-violent air that Yakuza seem to have. Although, the might be entirely my own personal association that isn't shared by other American-folk in the thread.

Unless it's the point that he's a gangster that is completely uncouth and dishonorable or something, it's REALLY jarring to see "retard" thrown in there twice.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

Actually, no. It was like that when I got here!

In fact, I haven't changed any of the titles, at all. The closest I got was one time I said to Oren "maybe there's a better phrase for [this one student]", and then the next time it came up it had been changed to something better. But even then, it wasn't me who did the changing.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

And we thought Ishimaru was intense. This guy makes him look like a tame kitten by comparison. Of course, that's to be expected from someone who shoots lightning out of his eyes.

Though Hinata did bring up a valid point: why is someone who looks like that a coach rather than a player? Perhaps Nidai once was an athlete, but turned to coaching after an injury. That sort of thing might end up being important if people start dying. This guy doesn't look like he'd be an easy target.

The SHSL Yakuza looks like a mix of Mondo and Togami personality-wise. He seems to have a bit of Togami's arrogance, mixed with Mondo's short temper. With the warning we got not to call him "Babyface", the dude's probably got a massive Napoleon complex.

It'll be interesting to see how he interacts with the actual Togami. If Togami has mellowed out since the first game(assuming it really is Togami), it may help to contrast his development with someone who acts more like his old self.

At last, someone who's sensible! It's interesting to see someone else thinking about getting off the island besides Hinata (and possibly Souda, since he was checking out the planes and may have been looking for an exit). Maybe she'll be the relatively normal character who survives for a long time, like Asahina.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Zhauth posted:

"After we gather every hope shard by becoming friends, then we can leave this island!"
Usami probably forgot to mention the part where after everyone becomes best friends, they get shoved onto the other four islands and are forced to kill each other, or else she'll go Night of the Lepus on their asses. Or something along those lines.

Personally, I suspect that Usami's gonna be straight-up good and nice, but completely ineffectual in the face of a Monobear invasion.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

VoidBurger posted:

I'm curious if this is a localization thing, or if "retard" is in the original Japanese?

It's ボケ ("boke") in Japanese. I agree that our translation is a little off, but we couldn't think of any better alternative.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES

orenronen posted:

It's ボケ ("boke") in Japanese. I agree that our translation is a little off, but we couldn't think of any better alternative.

Boke gets translated out to retard or dumbass enough for that to be a viable translation, especially coming from someone who seems to have stumbled out of Kaitekyo! Hitman Reborn and is pissed about it.

Dollars to donuts there's going to be a mystery that camera's going to be a part of and Photographer is going to have a "Yuu Kobayashi is actually mentally ill" moment.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I like the photographer. The coach is a little over-the-top, though.

The yakuza is the japanese equivalent of the mob, and I believe that in the yakuza, if you fail, you're supposed to cut off a part of one of your fingers as penance, which is what Nagito was referring to.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

The whole finger bit is very specifically a Yakuza thing, which is why a lot of older Yakuza are missing their pinkies, but the art and "baby face" are more associated with Al Capone style gangsters, so it's a tossup really.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
To retread old ground for a moment;

dog days are over posted:

I really like how all the characters have their own symbols, even if they don't really play a part in the story of the game. Our protagonist's symbol caught my eye;

If you mirror it (and use a bit of imagination) it looks like a skull, doesn't it?

I wouldn't read too much into that though since like I said their symbols never really meant anything in the game. I just found it neat.

If you look at the full image:

Pay close attention to his breast pocket. That heart+key symbol is, I think, what his tie's design is a component of, not a skull.

sstrickl
Feb 16, 2011

doomfunk posted:

To retread old ground for a moment;

If you look at the full image:

Pay close attention to his breast pocket. That heart+key symbol is, I think, what his tie's design is a component of, not a skull.

Actually, it looks like the left side of what's on the bottom of his shirt. It looks asymmetric, but I can't tell what it's supposed to be.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
I thought that as well, at first, but the one on his shirt lacks the outer highlight line. With the heart symbol, it's small enough to where I can tell that there is internal detail to the body of the heart, but not what that detail is.

Rith
Oct 10, 2012

YOU'VE GOT THAT WRONG!

orenronen posted:

I'm inclined to suggest 'moron' - 'retard' to me sounds like an insult between social equals, whereas I can more easily see 'moron' being used to describe someone you perceive as beneath you - but neither term is used much where I live, so I might be getting the connotations wrong (and in any case I don't know the connotations of 'boke').

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
'Moron' or 'dumbass' (or maybe both?) should work fine, I think. 'Retard' makes for a somewhat... less than adequate translation in my opinion.

getitoffgetitoff
Sep 24, 2007

by Ralp

orenronen posted:

Nekomaru Nidai’s a "Super High-school Level Coach".
A... coach? That’s it? That’s all he is?
I mean... I know it’s his title and everything, but still... Just a coach?!

I'm sort of confused by this. Why does Hinata think being a SHSL Coach is weirder than being a SHSL Light Music Club Member or a SHSL Animal Breeder?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Rotate through a series of insults every time "boke" is used. Moron, dumbass, idiot, shithead, so on and sofourth.

windylion
Oct 9, 2012
drat, Nekomaru looks awesome. I can't wait to see more of him. Koizumi's looking pretty neat too, actually. She's not as intense as the other characters but she's not a doormat either. It looks like she'll be a good straight man to everyone's crazy.

Also digging Hinata snapping at Nagito for being too upbeat. It's a good change from ever passive protag of the last game.

I don't know a lot of Japanese, but boke means something like dumbass/moron, right? Retard is generally seen a pretty childish insult, more used by school kids and people who are pretty immature. Like, in DR1 retard was used for Leon, and I felt that was kind of fitting because he seems like a pretty crash guy, but I don't know how it'd work for someone Kuzuryuu.

That's just my two cents, though. Whatever you guys end up doing will still be good.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

getitoffgetitoff posted:

I'm sort of confused by this. Why does Hinata think being a SHSL Coach is weirder than being a SHSL Light Music Club Member or a SHSL Animal Breeder?

He's having the same reaction as people in the thread: Nekomaru is this towering SHSL Badass figure who looks like he should be punching tanks or wrestling elephants and then it turns out his SHSL skill is yelling enthusiastically at people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Gabriel Pope posted:

He's having the same reaction as people in the thread: Nekomaru is this towering SHSL Badass figure who looks like he should be punching tanks or wrestling elephants and then it turns out his SHSL skill is yelling enthusiastically at people.
Yelling enthusiastically at people like Leon, Asahina, and Sakura from DR1. :stare:

Some of the characters seem a bit over the top, but we've literally just met them, and I'm sure once things actually get underway they'll tone down. That said, characters like Mahiru and Souda are nice to have right away, and so far Nagito seems to be a more competent version of Hagakure personality-wise.

• Locked thread