Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bengy81
May 8, 2010
Secret Spoon's experience isn't unique either. Pretty much any job that involves doing maintenance will be like that at least for part of your enlistment, if not all of it, especially if you are in an undermanned unit/rate/workcenter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

bengy81 posted:

Secret Spoon's experience isn't unique either. Pretty much any job that involves doing maintenance will be like that at least for part of your enlistment, if not all of it, especially if you are in an undermanned unit/rate/workcenter.

I also forgot to mention getting qualifications, uniform inspections, formations, musters, duty section, barracks living, and being called during my 4 or 5 hour nap between my slave labor. Not to mention the idiots that make my life harder and full of hell, this job is a waking nightmare and I seriously get drunk so I don't have to think about it anymore.

E: health and comforts, invasive counselings, mando fun.

Secret Spoon fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Dec 20, 2012

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
Don't you work on the E-6B?

Anything that is ultimately owned by STRATCOM is a bad time.

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

I lie awake, staring out at the bleakness of Megadon.
So, not to keep asking the same poo poo here, and just tell me to shut the gently caress up and go away if I am, but would getting a really high score on the ASVAB help with getting my crazy-pills waivered at all? I took the practice one when I considered enlisting in the army in high school, and I want to say I got like a 93, but that was so loving long ago that I don't remember exactly. The recruiter said that a score like the one I had could make it easy to get pretty much any job I wanted.

I know that recruiters say stuff like that and it isn't always true, though, and I'm also not far enough in the process to know exactly when you take the ASVAB. I'm just kind of antsy about the whole thing, I guess. I really, really want to join.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

BUSH 2112 posted:

So, not to keep asking the same poo poo here, and just tell me to shut the gently caress up and go away if I am, but would getting a really high score on the ASVAB help with getting my crazy-pills waivered at all? I took the practice one when I considered enlisting in the army in high school, and I want to say I got like a 93, but that was so loving long ago that I don't remember exactly. The recruiter said that a score like the one I had could make it easy to get pretty much any job I wanted.

Nope.

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

Bush, you could have maybe waivered either the drug stuff or the depression stuff. But both is going to be really hard and the navy isn't getting any bigger. Man, being in the navy at 29 as an e-nothing is going to be a trip for you haha. I kinda hope you get in so I drink your tears while I stroke my beard being the proverbial old man on the porch smoking his corn cob pipe thinking of days gone by.

E: asvab scores are only good for a year or two if I remember as well.

EE: missing holidays, important family events, watching your children grow up, having time to form and maintain a meaningful relationship.

Secret Spoon fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Dec 20, 2012

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Hey, guys. I've been talking with some recruiters lately and right now I'm considering enlisting in the Army, specifically doing something in the 35 series. My first goal was doing the warrant officer program and being a rotary wing aviator or commissioning, but apparently I'm an old fart (28, will be 29 in January) and neither OCS or WOCS will take me. I'm not too put out because some of the 35 MOS look pretty nice. I do have a degree (English) and know the flowchart very well. That said... am I one of the exceptions here?

Also, can anyone shed some light on 35P, 35T, 35N, 35Q, or really any of the others in that series? What would someone in that MOS actually do on a day-to-day basis? What civilian job skills could I expect to pick up?

Secret Spoon posted:

Man, being in the navy at 29 as an e-nothing is going to be a trip for you haha. I kinda hope you get in so I drink your tears while I stroke my beard being the proverbial old man on the porch smoking his corn cob pipe thinking of days gone by.
Not quite what I was hoping to see, but it's good to know there's at least one place where people don't pull punches about this stuff.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Aranan posted:

Hey, guys. I've been talking with some recruiters lately and right now I'm considering enlisting in the Army, specifically doing something in the 35 series. My first goal was doing the warrant officer program and being a rotary wing aviator or commissioning, but apparently I'm an old fart (28, will be 29 in January) and neither OCS or WOCS will take me. I'm not too put out because some of the 35 MOS look pretty nice. I do have a degree (English) and know the flowchart very well. That said... am I one of the exceptions here?

Also, can anyone shed some light on 35P, 35T, 35N, 35Q, or really any of the others in that series? What would someone in that MOS actually do on a day-to-day basis? What civilian job skills could I expect to pick up?

Not quite what I was hoping to see, but it's good to know there's at least one place where people don't pull punches about this stuff.

The Military is like the last holdout of aristocracy here in the US. Unless you have no other alternative, you would be better off putting your degree to use doing something else. If you enlist, you are going to be ten years older than your immediate supervisors and 6 or 7 years older than your officer. It will be very difficult to bite your tongue when you want to tell these idiots how stupid they are.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Aranan posted:

Don't enlist with a degree unless you are literally about to be homeless. You are probably setting yourself up for a minimum of 4 years of agony and pain.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

The friends I have from AIT are in their early 30s and 35 series on active duty. One of them seems to enjoy it quite a bit (and seems to be getting quickly groomed for leadership positions) while the other hates life. Both of them enlisted with degrees, one after being unable to get an OCS slot.

I'm around your age and it isn't bad at all being an older E4 in the ARNG. Although the unit I'm in isn't filled with retards either. But then again in the RC, I see lots of SPC that are probably over 40. Sucks to be them. Either way it takes a bit of humility, just do your job without complaining and act mature.

Have you asked them about an age waiver for OCS?

Flying_Crab fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Dec 20, 2012

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
All of the above is accurate, and O time in the Army is cake compared to E time, but if you have to go E, and you don't like it and will bail as soon as your re-enlistment comes up, 35 series is the best of the worst plan. Failing all else you've picked up a language, or worked in cyberwarfare, or got a bunch of certs, or are an analyst, and you get a TS clearance at the minimum.

This, plus GI Bill, could actually be considered a fair trade even if you don't like it. Unless, of course, you end up dead.

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

Aranan posted:

It's not going to be fun and I highly suggest going officer for the increased pay. It's like, easily 3 or 4 times what you would be making, and you will only have to deal with people in their mid 20's. if you enlist you're peers will be literal children and by association you will be too in the eyes of your superiors.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

The officer corps does have its share of retards and unbearables, though.

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

AB posted:

The officer corps does have its share of retards and unbearables, though.

Every job does, but man we know its not the circus that enlisted is. Im sure there will be days he hates his job as an officer, but the question is:

Will he be happier as an O or as an E?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

O life if you can stand stress headaches.

E-

To put it in perspective, this is how I feel at 9/10 staff meetings:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FYTc55nGEI

EBB fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Dec 20, 2012

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

DoktorLoken posted:

The friends I have from AIT are in their early 30s and 35 series on active duty. One of them seems to enjoy it quite a bit (and seems to be getting quickly groomed for leadership positions) while the other hates life. Both of them enlisted with degrees, one after being unable to get an OCS slot.

I'm around your age and it isn't bad at all being an older E4 in the ARNG. Although the unit I'm in isn't filled with retards either. But then again in the RC, I see lots of SPC that are probably over 40. Sucks to be them. Either way it takes a bit of humility, just do your job without complaining and act mature.

Have you asked them about an age waiver for OCS?
I'm totally aware that O would be better than E and it was my first choice, but what my recruiters have told me is that I'm beyond the age range to be a candidate for O. I went by today again to work on my packet, but I'll call tomorrow and ask about getting an age waiver. From what I've read here, it seems like waivers of all forms are getting to be really rare, but it can't hurt to ask.

Speak of, what the heck is the age limit, anyway? I swear I read something on goarmy.com that said it was 35, but apparently I was wrong.

not caring here posted:

All of the above is accurate, and O time in the Army is cake compared to E time, but if you have to go E, and you don't like it and will bail as soon as your re-enlistment comes up, 35 series is the best of the worst plan. Failing all else you've picked up a language, or worked in cyberwarfare, or got a bunch of certs, or are an analyst, and you get a TS clearance at the minimum.

This, plus GI Bill, could actually be considered a fair trade even if you don't like it. Unless, of course, you end up dead.
This is kind of how I'm looking at it now. I'd be getting a reliable job for the next 4ish years that will either directly or indirectly provide me with necessary training for a career when I get back into civilian life.

That said, I'll still check in tomorrow about an age waiver just in case. WOCS or OCS are my first choices, so I'm going to pursue them a little longer before going further with the 35 series.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

There might be a hard wage limit for WOCS for flight warrants but I can almost guarantee that age waivers for OCS exist. Who knows if it's possible to get one now but it seems like your recruiters either know it's impossible right now or are just too lazy to try and get you one. One thing to remember that if you go O there is no guarantee that you're going to get MI as it's one of the most popular branches (#2 or #3 AFAIK); you might wind up branched Chem or something. :laugh:

Flying_Crab fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Dec 20, 2012

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
I work with 35Qs everyday. One thing you should know about the Army is they grossly mismanage their trained personnel. They care more about their intel guys walking around with trucks than they do having them spend time on keyboard. Also their promotions aren't based on what they know, but how well they evaluate doing Army poo poo. So I see them getting pulled for Army bullshit all the time where as the worst thing I have to do in the Navy is attend a 30 min meeting once a week.

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

AB posted:

O life if you can stand stress headaches.

E-

To put it in perspective, this is how I feel at 9/10 staff meetings:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FYTc55nGEI

I hear you, I have had to go to some meetings and man, let me tell you, if anyone knows how to run poo poo into the ground, it is the entire military. Enlisted have meetings too and I couldn't imagine them being any less productive than they are now.

My favorite is giving Sapr or stamp, or whatever the Sexual Assault program is called, training. It makes me want to eat a gun because there is always like, one dude who raises his hand and asks:

"She can change her mind during? gently caress that!"

:smithicide:

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Secret Spoon posted:

My favorite is giving Sapr or stamp, or whatever the Sexual Assault program is called, training. It makes me want to eat a gun because there is always like, one dude who raises his hand and asks:

"She can change her mind during? gently caress that!"

:smithicide:

Dudes 8 years in, have sat through this bullshit at least 40 times, still gently caress it up when they are asked. :negative:

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

not caring here posted:

Dudes 8 years in, have sat through this bullshit at least 40 times, still gently caress it up when they are asked. :negative:

I white knighted gay rights in the military on a simeo survey. The command climate or whatever and started bombing the suggestions area with how there should be a section dedicated to sexual orientation equality. I never heard back and no one has mentioned it even though I know there is real discrimination going on.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

Secret Spoon posted:

I white knighted gay rights in the military on a simeo survey. The command climate or whatever and started bombing the suggestions area with how there should be a section dedicated to sexual orientation equality. I never heard back and no one has mentioned it even though I know there is real discrimination going on.

poo poo is pretty common

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3519705&pagenumber=4#post410711152

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

The military :allears:

Ohms
Jun 5, 2008

spacescold.com
Well, I'll be at Ft. Benning starting March 18th. See you there.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Condolences.

Number one piece of advice: if you get hurt, go to sick call. If anyone tells you that you are going to get recycled or kicked out for going to sick call, tell them to go suck a dick (unless it's a drill sergeant) and go anyway (even if it is a drill sergeant). Your ability to control what physical activity you undertake will be all but gone, and any problems you get will get worse.

Also, broheim, I'll totally hook you up with snickers bars. 20 bucks, meet you outside the Kelly Hill troop store bro.

JesusDoesVegas
Jul 8, 2005

The Funk Ambassador
Lipstick Apathy
This thread's got some good info. I just turned 28. A year ago I quit a really good job to try something risky, and it failed. I've been working a poo poo retail job, I can't afford to finish my degree, or pay my bills, and jobs are really difficult to come by. Lately I've been considering the Navy.

Several of my friends are Marines, and they've both loved and hated the situation. For both of them however their financial situations have gotten much better, and they've gotten to travel and picked up some resume beef. I haven't even looked at Marine requirements, because, gently caress that... I'm not Marine material. I'm in shape, but definitely too old, and not in it for valorous purposes. I've had quite a bit of family in the Navy, and I know there are quite a few tech/science type job roles available.

This conversation about age is exactly what I was wondering. I know I'm older than the average potential recruit, but I've been working a poo poo humiliating retail job for 6 months and I can handle it... Dealing with superior officers who are younger than me doesn't sound terrible. I've also worked call centers so I've dealt with every day all day insults from people who are most likely uneducated hillbillies (Charter Communications VOIP phone repair... when their phone was worst reliability in the country). As long as I can get school paid for, and have a good looking resume at the end of four years, I feel like the experience could be a positive one.

As for my red flags, I do have a tattoo... a half sleeve on my right arm that can be seen with a short sleeve tshirt on. It stops above my elbow, and the content is neutral (a jelly fish with the head of a pretty lady, and a space station). I'd probably have to talk to a recruiter about wavering that. I'm also on 50mg of Zoloft. I'd probably just have to deal without it, which I'm ok with. I'm not sure how most people do this, but my plan would be to go off of it a few weeks before shipping, since serotonin sickness is loving awful, and makes me highly irritable and unfocused.

During my reading I saw they ask you during processing if you're a musician and you can elect to take on performance during basic. Can anyone comment on this? The thing I read said it didn't excuse you from poo poo, so other than just giving you something to occupy your mind is it worth doing? I assume it helps to get you out of basic as PFC or some such thing. I'm a drummer, and I'd love an opportunity to improve my rudiments and marching chops.

I have one silly question... How bad are the vaccinations, shots, needles etc? I've got a stupid phobia of needles (anyone who has a tattoo knows that tattoo needles are a whole different animal). I know they've got to take blood and give you a round of vaccinations. Is this just a one time thing, or are they pumping blood from you every other god damned day? I can deal with it like a man, I'm just curious.

If anyone cares to comment on my situation feel free.

EDIT - One more silly question... does anyone know if the Air Force would wave age restrictions? I'm aged out by one year, but I'm fairly confident I could score well on tests and all that. My marine buddy is telling me I should try just because they have the best poo poo.

JesusDoesVegas fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Dec 23, 2012

vacation in kabul
Dec 6, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Yes the AF is the best branch. But it's also horrible, just like the Navy, Marines, and Army. Don't join. You're too loving old. I was too old when I enlisted at 22 and I hated every second of it. By the time you get out in your mid thirties you will be so embittered by the experience that you can't even walk by a grocery store without buying a case of beer and getting drunk.

vacation in kabul fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Dec 23, 2012

DrCuntmuffins
Nov 10, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

vacation in kabul posted:

Yes the AF is the best branch. But it's also horrible, just like the Navy, Marines, and Army. Don't join. You're too loving old. I was too old when I enlisted at 22 and I hated every second of it. By the time you get it out in your mid thirties you will be so embittered by the experience that you can't even walk by a grocery store without buying a case of beer and getting drunk.

Take this advice.

If you don't, be 100% sure you don't sign up for 6 years. Do the minimum required service to finish your degree or whatever and get the hell out. You will seriously hate your life being shoved to the bottom of the pile with retarded 18 year olds straight outta high school.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
It should also be noted that a ton of those "tech" jobs in the military require longer enlistments than 4 years(if this has changed feel free to correct me).

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I'd suggest considering the reserve component of whatever branch interests you if you're older. It's what I did and i've enjoyed it a lot. Getting to do the military thing while not having your day to day life micromanaged like you're a retarded teenager. Edu benefits aren't as good out the gate on the federal level but some states will give you a free ride to school as a member of the RC.

DrCuntmuffins
Nov 10, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

BULLETS CURE ISLAM posted:

It should also be noted that a ton of those "tech" jobs in the military require longer enlistments than 4 years(if this has changed feel free to correct me).

depends on the job. in the af almost none of them require a 6 year enlistment, only a 4year. but be it known you won't put on e4 until about 3 years in the service, at which point you will be a year from separating and still being lumped in with fucks just coming from tech training

E: ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

what he said. i totally forgot. go af reserve/guard for wherever you are, get a cyber job and you are literally guaranteed buku bank. tech training for me was 11 months for 3D1X2 (basically network infrastructure/phone maintenance/network admin basics) and the guard/reserve peeps in my classes were getting pretty cush 60k/yr network admin jobs and working off their degrees

JesusDoesVegas
Jul 8, 2005

The Funk Ambassador
Lipstick Apathy
I'm glad I posted. I hadn't even considered reserve options. The claims of guaranteed bank seem a bit dubious, but that sounds like a happy medium between my current poo poo financial situation and giving myself to the man entirely for a minimum of four years.

gently caress a 6 year contract, 4 I can do. I don't want to be mid 30s doing that poo poo. I'll talk to a recruiter next week and see about my old guy options.

DrCuntmuffins
Nov 10, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
well, basically you learn a fuckload of stuff with 3D1X2 in tech school, seriously lots.

with my 6yr contract i'm looking at an easy 100k+ w/ certs and clearance. for someone with no experience and just a S+ cert / our clearance, you're looking at a decent pay rate (i'd say between 40-60k) at an entry level IT job doing network admin or network maintenance. obviously this kind of work is rare in rural america but if you're anywhere near a large metro area this is a pretty good estimate

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Have a look around. Cyberwarfare + security clearance + defense contractors = FAT STACKS.

Also, no, there isn't that many needles. They'll take some blood, they'll hit you with a few shots, and that is that.

not caring here fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Dec 23, 2012

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

JesusDoesVegas posted:

I'm glad I posted. I hadn't even considered reserve options. The claims of guaranteed bank seem a bit dubious, but that sounds like a happy medium between my current poo poo financial situation and giving myself to the man entirely for a minimum of four years.

gently caress a 6 year contract, 4 I can do. I don't want to be mid 30s doing that poo poo. I'll talk to a recruiter next week and see about my old guy options.

You seem like you have your head on straight just be sure to check in here before you sign anything and be sure you understand, the level of poo poo that is the military will vary from person to person. Try and get an intel job, there is poo poo work all over the navy, but all intel and paperwork guys I know don't have issues with their body and don't live knee deep in human waste.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I did four years in the Army starting at 27. Not that terrible. It does add an extra layer of suck on things but at that point it's just one among so many that it pretty much gets drowned out by the well orchestrated symphony of suck.

Your MOS is the single most important, and last, decision you get to make before you join so do your loving homework. Don't listen to what the recruiter says and the 30 second video he shows you won't tell you dick. Do everything in your power to find someone that does the job and ask them what they do first hand.

ioneye
Apr 24, 2008
I enlisted at 27 as 3D1X2 and I work in a network infrastructure shop. I don't regret it at all. The NCOs and my supervisor are pretty cool, the job itself is pretty chill... we get an hour lunch and another hour for PT. All of our officers and commander are all prior enlisted. Like at least a third of the shop have a bachelor's, so I guess I'm lucky I don't work with bumbling idiots. I think I got a decent enough package and I'll try for a commission in a year or two, if not, I'll just get out and get a civilian job, shouldn't be that hard with a CCNA and comptia certs, work experience and a top security clearance.

Then again, I know some other guys in different jobs that hate life. Your experience will vary, it all depends on your job and shop.

JesusDoesVegas
Jul 8, 2005

The Funk Ambassador
Lipstick Apathy
Next week I'm talking to an AF recruiter to see if they can wave the age limitations for me. 3D1X2 sounds like exactly what I want. That won't pan out what's the navy equivalent?

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
IT and CTN. IT is a broad communications rate, so you could be doing anything from working on radios to running tech support for a shore command. CTN has something like 5 duty stations, all stateside, and no ships. You could be doing anything like malware persecution, penetration testing, network analysis, etc. Go for CTN.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Sir Lucius posted:

IT and CTN. IT is a broad communications rate, so you could be doing anything from working on radios to running tech support for a shore command. CTN has something like 5 duty stations, all stateside, and no ships. You could be doing anything like malware persecution, penetration testing, network analysis, etc. Go for CTN.

I actually ended up with two CTN guys in my shop in Afghanistan. Most likely not going to happen anymore with the drawdowns but I suppose they can end up in some odd ball places for the Navy like a land-locked country. They were a pretty close match to Army 35T.

• Locked thread