Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

ghouldaddy07 posted:

Can anyone explain how Interplay still exists

They do not create products nor have the people to do so. They have been coasting mostly on "their" stuff being sold on GOG.

They have pretended to be in the development of a Fallout MMO, which turned out to be obviously a lie since they don't employ anyone in serious capacity. Their last attempt at making a quick buck was a mockup of a 2D bunny platform game just before they lost the rights to Fallout and, recently, a huge Pay What You Want bundle on GOG. This "Black Isle" bullshit is their new scam attempt.

But let's talk about Kickstarter. Web comic Homestuck got millions to produce a videogame, so the creators of Girl Genius decided to do the same with some lovely puzzle platformer game for Android.

And they obviously got 800% over their goal. And the backers don't even get anything! It's beautiful. It would be a hilarious parody if it wasn't real.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Dec 20, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Al! posted:

I wonder how much it costs to buy up the rights to the name Infocom and if I can raise more or less money on Kickstarter with that name to make "spiritual successor" to Planetfall or Zork. Writing IF is crazy easy these days.

A Mind Forever Voyaging 2: PRISM vs. Obama

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Saoshyant posted:

But let's talk about Kickstarter. Web comic Homestuck got millions to produce a videogame, so the creators of Girl Genius decided to do the same with some lovely puzzle platformer game for Android.

And they obviously got 800% over their goal. And the backers don't even get anything! It's beautiful. It would be a hilarious parody if it wasn't real.
Oh come on, their goal was $7k. Even overfunded, they're only at $60k. That's a token budget meant to make precisely the kind of simple game on display. This is "fans of web comic get to pitch in to see their favorite thing get turned into a game," the level of game was very clearly shown, and they all knew that going in. Nobody's getting exploited here, and they had prototype footage and everything you'd expect for an honest kickstarter.

EDIT: the store ranking thing is also a legitimate concern, but it's a business concern - and customers don't give a poo poo about those. They should have come up with a better reason, or dropped that entirely. Just your average "ugh, indie PR" gaff, which you expect on a project with a $7k target.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Dec 20, 2012

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I have to disagree with you there. $7,500 to produce the game? Why would they have a $100.000 stretch goal to give the level editor they claim to already exist to the public, then? And their excuse that if they give out a few copies of the game they won't ever become a top seller app on the Android store*? They can't even keep a straight face throughout the video.

I mean, it's better than just the old big Donation button in their site, but much like that Penny Arcade kickstarter, it's in my opinion just a scummy way to take more money out of their fans. That's how I view the situation as an outsider.

* apparently, they have since added a pledge reward with the game, which contradicts the other pledge reward right under it.

e: but, fair enough, I may be making a fuss on something that isn't a big deal on a wrong assumption.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Dec 20, 2012

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Who in their right mind would give any money to that Black Isle scam?

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Saoshyant posted:

:psyduck:

----fans are the worst. People obviously have way to much money on their hands. What a laughable excuse! As if anyone except the hardcore fans would buy that game!

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
As someone with a fetish for lumpy cartoon women I'm glad the Foglios got their money.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Homestuck made most of their money selling merchandise. Really overpriced merchandise.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I'm pretty sure the Foglios don't have anything to do with this. Hell, only got Cheyenne Wright involved via a stretch goal, which Machination (which doesn't have anything to do with GG) managed from the get go.

CrookedB
Jun 27, 2011

Stupid newbee

Saoshyant posted:

Why? They are grown ups and, as such, responsible for their actions. They know what they are getting into. And if they don't that's even worse.

Because it reeks of desperation, at least to me. Is the job market really that bad? I can't imagine them, especially Chris Taylor, returning to the current Pseudo Black Isle if they had other, better options.

eames
May 9, 2009

Mojo Jojo posted:

If Godus raises another 100k it gets Ouya support!

That said, it seems like it would be a terrible shame if it doesn't raise the 485k needed to hire a writer.

Chances are that it will get Linux support regardless, so getting it to run on Ouya should be trivial.

One of their coders mentioned in a video that they already have it running on Mac, Linux and iOS.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNF37HGwZtc&t=234s
They would be stupid not to put it on the Ouya Store, unless one of the two kickstarter projects completely tanks. :haw:
As for Molyneux not being able to differentiate between Windows and Mac OS X… oh well.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
Forsaken Fortress was looking tight there for a while, but it's had a big final week and made its funding in the final 2 days: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1317934609/forsaken-fortress

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

There is nothing tougher than a tough Mexican, just as there is nothing gentler than a gentle Mexican, nothing more honest than an honest Mexican, and above all nothing sadder than a sad Mexican. -R. Chandler.

Saoshyant posted:

They do not create products nor have the people to do so. They have been coasting mostly on "their" stuff being sold on GOG.

They have pretended to be in the development of a Fallout MMO, which turned out to be obviously a lie since they don't employ anyone in serious capacity. Their last attempt at making a quick buck was a mockup of a 2D bunny platform game just before they lost the rights to Fallout and, recently, a huge Pay What You Want bundle on GOG. This "Black Isle" bullshit is their new scam attempt.

Another way to phrase this would be that Herve Caen is like syphillis, gonorrhea and dengue fever. You cannot cure it or get rid of it, only control it.

Interplay went to the shitter the moment Titus bought Interplay. Let's see a short list of possibly cool games that they cancelled in favor of pushing out garbage to get their next fix: Fallout 3 (project Van Buren), Baldur's Gate 3 (project Jefferson), Torn, and some even say a possible sequel to Fallout Tactics.

I'll pay $10 but only if I get to punch Herve in his stupid face.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Overflight posted:

I'm pretty sure the Foglios don't have anything to do with this.

It's advertised on the Girl Genius webpage, one level rewards PDF versions of all published Girl Genius TPBs plus the Secret Blueprints, and the $1000 pledge reward includes having your name put in the strip and being sent the original art for that strip. There is going to be an absolute world of poo poo flying around if the Foglios are not involved.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Just out of curiosity, have any games that were kickstarted since the beginning materialized with playable material yet? I'm not counting stuff like FTL since it was mostly finished when they launched their KS, but more along the lines of say Double Fine adventure, where it was still in the conceptual stage when the kickstarter launched?

It seems like there have been a lot of games that hit their funding by promising the moon, but what's been the actual precedent for delivering on those promises? I have to think that people are going to start getting Kickstarter fatigue unless there are some good examples they can point to as examples of successful releases.

(I'm not making GBS threads on Double Fine here; I actually do expect them to deliver a game since they're a professional company with a track record that shows they knows how to produce both big and small budget games. I'm mostly just using it as an example of the kind of thing I'm asking about)

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Banner Saga and Valdis Story are due for a release in the near future so there will be two (hopefully). Giana Sisters falls into the "mostly finished" category though and I'm not sure about Ravaged.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Jedit posted:

It's advertised on the Girl Genius webpage, one level rewards PDF versions of all published Girl Genius TPBs plus the Secret Blueprints, and the $1000 pledge reward includes having your name put in the strip and being sent the original art for that strip. There is going to be an absolute world of poo poo flying around if the Foglios are not involved.

Oh, must have missed that. My bad.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

CrookedB posted:

Haha, I'll just leave this here:

http://blackisle.com/

Someone must've confused New Year with April 1st.

Wasn't part of the settlement agreement with Bethesda that they were going to scrap all work on their Fallout MMO? It's pretty ballsy of IPLY to go ahead with the project and not even bother to change the name. It's not like we don't all know what 'V13' means.

I don't think they're going to do as well as they think they are. All the people who would have seriously put money on Black Isle have already invested in Project Eternity and Wasteland 2. Who is the market for this? The people who played the BG: Dark Alliance games?

edit: they even admit that 'v13 has been in development for years' but 'we've had to make some changes recently'. No poo poo, you're making somebody else's game! It's like they're begging for a lawsuit.

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Dec 20, 2012

SuperHappy
Aug 22, 2004

feel the rhythm with your hands
I hope y'all don't mind me butting in for crass self-pluggery, but Dungeon Panic's Kickstarter is about to end. 29 days have very quickly passed since it began.

Last call for those who are interested in roguelikes, furniture collecting, and friendship!

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
After watching the Black Isle video pitching their new project, I can say that I do believe they at least think they are actually doing something, even if reality may not quite agree with them.

The bleeping "Fallout" is kind of confusing. Can they really not even acknowledge that they worked on the game in the past, or is it a gimmick?

Also worth noting that the first comment on their page is "Officially don't care."

I am trying to judge this based on how I would feel if I did not know anything about the people involved, and I have decided my reaction is the same: "Well, I have no interest in giving them money, but I would probably buy the game if they actually succeeded!"

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Anita Sarkeesian just did a TED talk about her experience with the Kickstarter, which reminded me: What's the current status on her video series? I didn't back it, but I'd still like to check it out.

VVVVVV Thanks!

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Dec 20, 2012

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Hakkesshu posted:

Anita Sarkeesian just did a TED talk about her experience with the Kickstarter, which reminded me: What's the current status on her video series? I didn't back it, but I'd still like to check it out.

On the way, basically. Latest backer update was on Dec 10th and had a couple different notes including a video where she talks about the equipment they got (new mics, lenses, lights, etc.) Dates-wise, there's this:

quote:

We are still working towards a winter launch-date, although realistically it will probably be sometime in January. As soon as we have a date set in stone, backers will be the first to know.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Quarex posted:

After watching the Black Isle video pitching their new project, I can say that I do believe they at least think they are actually doing something, even if reality may not quite agree with them.

The bleeping "Fallout" is kind of confusing. Can they really not even acknowledge that they worked on the game in the past, or is it a gimmick?

Also worth noting that the first comment on their page is "Officially don't care."

I am trying to judge this based on how I would feel if I did not know anything about the people involved, and I have decided my reaction is the same: "Well, I have no interest in giving them money, but I would probably buy the game if they actually succeeded!"

I suspect it's because they're on the razor's edge of copyright infringement with project v13 to begin with, so if they actually mentioned fallout they'd be getting a C&D tomorrow.

I still think there's no way this project gets funded and made into a prototype without Bethesda suing their pants off.

Alkanos
Jul 20, 2009

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fht-YAWN

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Just out of curiosity, have any games that were kickstarted since the beginning materialized with playable material yet? I'm not counting stuff like FTL since it was mostly finished when they launched their KS, but more along the lines of say Double Fine adventure, where it was still in the conceptual stage when the kickstarter launched?

It seems like there have been a lot of games that hit their funding by promising the moon, but what's been the actual precedent for delivering on those promises? I have to think that people are going to start getting Kickstarter fatigue unless there are some good examples they can point to as examples of successful releases.

(I'm not making GBS threads on Double Fine here; I actually do expect them to deliver a game since they're a professional company with a track record that shows they knows how to produce both big and small budget games. I'm mostly just using it as an example of the kind of thing I'm asking about)

The adventure game Cognition has released their first episode, so it almost fits. It's pretty good too, especially for only getting about 30k in funding. They did their campaign before DFA highlighted kickstarter so not as many people have heard of it I'm guessing.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

SuperHappy posted:

I hope y'all don't mind me butting in for crass self-pluggery, but Dungeon Panic's Kickstarter is about to end. 29 days have very quickly passed since it began.

Last call for those who are interested in roguelikes, furniture collecting, and friendship!

I was going to miss this if you didn't butt in. I like the art style, love roguelikes, and this seems like it's going to be a good game overall.

I wasn't sold until I started reading your reward tiers. Separating the lower reward tiers between physical and digital rewards, and yet still providing ones with physical bonuses is exactly how it should be done. Not everybody wants physical rewards at the higher levels of digital rewards, and you understand that perfectly. So, thanks.

Merry Magpie
Jan 8, 2012

A superstitious cowardly lot.

Quarex posted:

Pertinent background information:
In 1999, Hervé Caen purchased Interplay and proceeded to run it into the ground.

Prior to that, Hervé and his brother Eric were responsible for Superman 64.
Their studio spent two years to produce Superman 64.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Remember that the Doublefine kickstarter was actually for two different products, the adventure game, and the documentary. And so far documentary episodes have been coming out fairly regularly and are of pretty good quality. The game is still on schedule.

You aren't going to get too many releases because it hasn't even been a year since the KS bubble began. I don't know what you're expecting, but it takes more than 8 - 10 months to create a good game on a decent budget. The only games that have come out so far are ones that were already in development or are just relatively tiny projects.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Mordaedil posted:

They are using SCRUM work method, huh?

That means at least noone can really be slacking off.

Everyone in the industry is using at least either a variant of scrum or they're a solo cowboy. If they aren't , the project manager probably needs to be fired. Its nothing unusual

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Yodzilla posted:

Banner Saga and Valdis Story are due for a release in the near future so there will be two (hopefully). Giana Sisters falls into the "mostly finished" category though and I'm not sure about Ravaged.

Lengends of Eisenwald has somewhat missed its release target I think however what they are demoing right now looks utterly phenomenal so nobody is too concerned.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Yodzilla posted:

You sure about Valdis? Last I read they had been hit really hard by Sandy and things were pretty up in the air.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

XboxPants posted:

You sure about Valdis? Last I read they had been hit really hard by Sandy and things were pretty up in the air.

Update from Dec 15:

quote:

Hello folks, we hope everyone is doing great. Things are almost back to normal on our end and development is back in full swing. Due to the storm that put us out of commission for a month, we are experiencing a lot of delays on the development front. It wouldn't do the project justice to cut out some of the things we have planned, so we will be pushing the release date back a bit. We don't have the exact date yet, but it will still be 1st quarter 2013 so it's not too far off. There is good news though, we intend to release a playable PC Demo for you guys in Late January!

So delayed but still on track (at least as far as they're saying.)

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Scorchy posted:

Forsaken Fortress was looking tight there for a while, but it's had a big final week and made its funding in the final 2 days: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1317934609/forsaken-fortress
Can somebody give me a quick breakdown of why I should or should not back this? Do the devs have a good/bad track record?

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
They're trying to make an ambitious 3d post-apocalypse game for 100,000 dollars?

Nowadays when I see a videogame kickstarter that isn't a mobile/ios game with a requested budget under 400k I just roll my eyes and move on to the next project.

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Dec 21, 2012

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Saoshyant posted:

$4 gets you the Android app and $4 + $1 gets you the iPhone app + another iPhone app. The Foliogos are some funny weird goony fuckers, I'll back them for $4.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Zereth posted:

Can somebody give me a quick breakdown of why I should or should not back this? Do the devs have a good/bad track record?

I don't know anything about the devs - I think this is their first project. At least, that's the impression I get from the little blurb they wrote for their company description on KS. I think most of the backing has been on the basis of the concept alone, because let's face it - Dungeon Keeper/Dwarf Fortress plus Fallout does sound like a pretty cool game.

Nyphur
May 28, 2005

Founder of the Goon Hug Squad ♥

Johnny Law posted:

The problem (or "problem") with showing prototypes and other concrete development is that it brings people's imagination down to earth. On the other hand if you start with just "Populous spiritual sequel from Peter Molyneux!" then lots of folks see their own personal dream reflected in that and they pony up. When you later release additional details to attract the more skeptical or rational donaters, the early birds will probably still stick with you as they feel committed/invested.
This is true. When you show people a little information and gameplay, they fill in the gaps with their hopes, dreams and idealisations of the final product. If you show them the fine details, the myth is dispelled and they're less likely to pony up. The worst though is to show nothing, which for a lot of people is what Godus did.

Concept art might be enough of a scaffolding for some people to hang their hopes on, but I have a much easier time hanging them on that latest gameplay prototype video. If they'd launched with that much shown, they'd have been funded long ago.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Mirthless posted:

They're trying to make an ambitious 3d post-apocalypse game for 100,000 dollars?

Nowadays when I see a videogame kickstarter that isn't a mobile/ios game with a requested budget under 400k I just roll my eyes and move on to the next project.

That's an odd position to take. Plenty of games get funded for less than that - less than $50,000, even - and manage to make it to mark it. Indie games are a special beast.

But besides that, an important thing to keep in mind is that the funding goal for a Kickstarter is a tricky number. Just because it represents how much money they need, doesn't mean that it represents the budget for the game. Many Kickstarters are already pretty far along in progress. Other campaigns may already have funding from other sources. Or combinations of both of those.

For instance, take Ravaged and Tales of Fallen London. Both asked for $10K-$15K, and ended up getting about $40K. And they were both able to finish and release their game with that money. Except, Tales of Fallen London is a text-based browser game, and Ravaged is a full-3D multiplayer, vehicular FPS. You can't judge the scope of a game solely based on how much money they're asking for.

Like I said, don't confuse the funding goal with the game's budget. In other words, even if a studio is asking for $100000 on KS, that is in no way the same as saying that they're trying to make the game for $100000. Kickstarter isn't just about being the sole funding source for a project.

For reference, I put together a list of some non-mobile games that got funded, came out, and what they raised/asked for:

TRIP - http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/axelshokk/trip-an-abstract-surreal-exploration-experience - $2200/$500

Phantasmaburbia - http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1655502920/phantasmaburbia - $2600/$1000

OutReach - http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/766808121/outreach-the-search-for-mankind - $2700/$2500

Warbarons - http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1499327409/warbarons-a-classic-turn-based-strategy-game - $6000/$6000

Paranormal - http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mattcohen/paranormal - $8000/$800

Saturday Morning RPG - http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mightyjosh/saturday-morning-rpg - $10000/$6000

Guncraft - http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/exatogames/guncraft-voxel-based-first-person-shooter - $16000/$16000

Party of Sin - http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2080742704/party-of-sin - $16000/$8000

No Time For Questions - http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1296948465/no-time-to-explain-indie-game - $26000/$7000

Cognition - http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/postudios/cognition-an-erica-reed-thriller - $34000/$25000

Guns of Icarus Online - http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/musegames/guns-of-icarus-online - $35000/$10000

Ravaged - http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2dawngames/ravaged - $38000/$15000

Tales of Fallen London: The Silver Tree - http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/elizabethsampat/tales-of-fallen-london-the-silver-tree - $45000/$10000

Chivalry - http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1711512107/chivalry-medieval-warfare - $85000/$50000

Diamond Trust of London - http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1443658586/diamond-trust-of-london - $90000/$78000

Project Giana - http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/project-giana/project-giana - $186000/$150000

FTL - http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/64409699/ftl-faster-than-light - $200000/$10000

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?
Kind of related to the above discussion - what's everyones sense for the target funding that indie games should be going for, these days?

I mean, obviously there are exceptions, and I'm not talking about the tiny mobile games or the (way too) giant indie MMO slow-motion trainwrecks. What range do people feel comfortable with, if they're looking at a reasonable 1-3 person indie project, assuming it has a real prototype and decent media?

... and mind, I mean base funding goal. Maybe they 800% fund it, whatevs, a lot of that comes from having a sane and good-feeling initial target.

I kind of feel like something in the $15k-$20k range is where I expect an indie project to sit. Anything above that - $30k+ - and something kicks over in my brain, and I start looking at it differently. But maybe I'm not being fair, or am stuck in an old-school Kickstarter mindset.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Dec 21, 2012

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Shalinor posted:

Kind of related to the above discussion - what's everyones sense for the target funding that indie games should be going for, these days?

For me it's a quick breakdown.

Is the studio established with previous releases? If so, then $10-15k/12 months/person on the dev team, since they have to maintain employment, but the employees still get somewhat paid from their finished games (a studio of 5 that say they need 6 months to finish the game should shoot for $25-40k).

If the studio has just been made, then $10-15k in total is the limit (with some leeway for the scope of the game, of course). The people who got hired knew exactly the risks, pay and the kickstarter is more of an advertisement than an actual funding job at this point. If they made a studio without being able to fund the studio, then that doesn't bode well for their money management with higher figures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

XboxPants posted:

For instance, take Ravaged and Tales of Fallen London. Both asked for $10K-$15K, and ended up getting about $40K. And they were both able to finish and release their game with that money. Except, Tales of Fallen London is a text-based browser game, and Ravaged is a full-3D multiplayer, vehicular FPS. You can't judge the scope of a game solely based on how much money they're asking for.

Also, the Ravaged devs claimed the game was very near completion when they started the project. They just needed the extra money to finish it.