Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006
im in ur base killin ur mans

Turnquiet posted:

I picked up some Laphroaig Cask Strength and tried it with 2:1 water, 1:1 water, and neat. Neat was the first time I had a burn so intense I had to sip some water. It is good stuff, I imagine it is what kerosene would taste like if kerosene were delicious.

AFter nursing the full strength I poured a small measure of Thomas Jefferson extra small batch bourbon- it tasted like water after the Laphroaig.

The Laphroaig CS is certainly a real kicker. I think it really does best with a little less than 1:1 water and then having sit for about 25-30 minutes. The flavors really open up and you start to get some sweetness along with the smoky kick.

So while searching for Buffalo Trace Antique Collection bottles I ran across some reasonably priced bottles of stuff I had been considering. I found a Springbank 12 Cask Strength for just over $50, a Tobermory 10 for about $47, and a Ledaig for $50. I was considering the Springbank. Having not had one before, can you guys reccomend it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

NightConqueror posted:

So while searching for Buffalo Trace Antique Collection bottles I ran across some reasonably priced bottles of stuff I had been considering. I found a Springbank 12 Cask Strength for just over $50, a Tobermory 10 for about $47, and a Ledaig for $50. I was considering the Springbank. Having not had one before, can you guys reccomend it?
Young Tobermory and Ledaig are not worth $50, so just stick with the Springbank. It's earthy without exactly being peaty. It's also got a slight funk that increases with age statement, so start young and work your way up.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Got an Ardbeg 10 as my Christmas bottle.

Hoo boy.

On the good side, I love it and still haven't found my peat limit. On the bad side, my wife won't even sit on the couch with me while I'm drinking it.

Huxley fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Dec 17, 2012

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006

Huxley posted:

Got an Ardbeg 10 as my Christmas bottle.

Hoo boy.

On the good side, I love it and still haven't found my peat limit. On the bad side, my wife won't even sit on the couch with me while I'm drinking it.

There are few women who like whisky, and fewer still that will tolerate an Islay whisky. If anything, it's fun to watch them make faces when they smell it.

"You DRINK that?!"

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Anyone in the thread a fan of Bulleit whiskeys? I tried their rye mash and while I'm not generally one for bourbons but I was really taken with it, and I'm wondering if I just haven't tried the right bourbons. Any recommendations?

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

MockingQuantum posted:

Anyone in the thread a fan of Bulleit whiskeys? I tried their rye mash and while I'm not generally one for bourbons but I was really taken with it, and I'm wondering if I just haven't tried the right bourbons. Any recommendations?
Bulleit Bourbon is quite good. It's made at Four Roses from their yeast/grain/recipe, and I'm a big fan of Four Roses' lineup as well. Bulleit Rye, like just about every other 95%+ rye product is made by LDI and I'm sure it's okay too.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Speaking of bourbons anyone have opinions on Blanten's or Booker?

Also why do so many bourbons start with a b

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Same reason so many vodkas start with "s."

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

If they didn't, they'd just be ourbons.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Steve Yun posted:

My own opinion is they aren't bad, but they aren't the best. From the Beam Small Batch line, I'd rather have Baker's for high proof and Basil Hayden's as something to dunk one or two ice cubes in. I'd sooner buy a bottle of Black Maple Hill Small Batch or a multitude of other options.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Semprini posted:

If they didn't, they'd just be ourbons.
I'm not drunk, and yet I feel like punching someone!

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

I like Booker's. It's 120 proof, pretty spicy, but is tamed a bit with some water. For around $50, it's not a bad deal either. If I'm not going for a big, barrel-strength bourbon, my go-to's are generally Four Roses Single Barrel or Wild Turkey 101.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
I was reading a bit about the world's whiskeys on Wiki and noticed that, supposedly, Japan modeled a lot of their style after Scotch. Is this true? I haven't tried any Japanese whiskey yet, but I'd like to. Also, I'd like to know if there are any American outfits that got their inspiration from Scotch. I like Scotch most of all, but I'd like to buy American. :911::respek::scotland:

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Animal-Mother posted:

I was reading a bit about the world's whiskeys on Wiki and noticed that, supposedly, Japan modeled a lot of their style after Scotch. Is this true? I haven't tried any Japanese whiskey yet, but I'd like to. Also, I'd like to know if there are any American outfits that got their inspiration from Scotch. I like Scotch most of all, but I'd like to buy American. :911::respek::scotland:
Japan is known for its 'repro' approach to creation, whether it's jeans, whisky or whatever. So yes, I'd say they're methods are closer to the Scotch industry than anyone else.

The US does have several malt whisky producers. There's McCarthy's Oregon Single Malt, St. George's Single Malt, Stranahan's Colorado Whiskey (also a single malt,) Hudson's Single Malt and a few others...

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Dec 20, 2012

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

^^ What kidsafe said.

The guy who started whisky production in Japan (Masakata Taketsuru) is dealt with here
http://www.nikka.com/eng/founder/index.html

Unless you are a Suntory man, in which case you'd say that Shinjiro Torii was the guy responsible
http://theyamazaki.jp/en/story/history.html

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Yes Japanese whisky is very much like Scotch, the main difference is that the Scots started out using what they had around to produce the stuff, which created all these different expressions. For example Islay whisky is peated because on Islay they had a bunch of peat so they used that to dry their malt with. They did not initially set out to make peaty whisky. Or with aging the whisky in drafty old sheds, creating a very specific climate. They just winged it at first and later figured out what worked. So evolved the different styles of whisky due to geographical location and what was on hand etc...

Now the Japanese took a very different approach, they used their typical Japanese approach and engineered their whisky to be as close to scotch as possible. To great success IMHO. Although Japanese whisky is usually very high quality it sometimes lacks character because of this approach.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

As far as Scotch is concerned all (nearly all?) malt was peat dried until the advent of the railways which brought coal to the door.

Of course Islay, being a small island never got the railroad, so they stayed with the peat.

biglads fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Dec 20, 2012

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

biglads posted:

All (nearly all?) malt was peat dried until the advent of the railways which brought coal to the door.

Of course Islay, being a small island never got the railroad, so they stayed with the peat.

Ah, I did not know that. :)

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

The railway is also why there are a gazillion distilleries on Speyside.

Once the railway was there the ability to get your ingredients in and your product out by rail made the industry mushroom alongside it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strathspey_Railway_%28GNoSR%29

Cragganmore has/had a Steam Engine motif on their boxes because it was built due to the (then) new line. It kind of looks a little 'Wild West' to me and perhaps something I'd have expected on a Bourbon.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

kidsafe posted:

Bulleit Bourbon is quite good. It's made at Four Roses from their yeast/grain/recipe, and I'm a big fan of Four Roses' lineup as well. Bulleit Rye, like just about every other 95%+ rye product is made by LDI and I'm sure it's okay too.

Strangely, I vastly prefer Builleit Bourbon to Four Roses Small Batch. The Bulleit Rye is also very good, but not so good that I'll be buying it again before trying some more high-rye products.

OSheaman
May 27, 2004

Heavy Fucking Metal
Fun Shoe
Speaking of bourbon, and I know this gets asked a lot, but does anyone have any sub-$25 recommendations? I am going out for a fancy dinner on the 24th and want to send a bottle of bourbon back to the kitchen as a "Merry Christmas" gift. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated! (assume, for the sake of the stereotype, that whatever I send them will mostly be drunk neat or with small alterations).

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

OSheaman posted:

Speaking of bourbon, and I know this gets asked a lot, but does anyone have any sub-$25 recommendations? I am going out for a fancy dinner on the 24th and want to send a bottle of bourbon back to the kitchen as a "Merry Christmas" gift. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated! (assume, for the sake of the stereotype, that whatever I send them will mostly be drunk neat or with small alterations).

W.L. Weller 12 if the kitchen crew isn't prejudiced against screwcaps. There's dozens of generally available bourbons under $25 so it's hard to pick one or two...

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Dec 21, 2012

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

OSheaman posted:

I like Evan Williams Single Barrel for that price. It's usually right around $25 around here.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I don't care for it, but Maker's Mark is very popular, right in that price range, and looks nice to boot.

edit: Also that's awesome, the cooks will really appreciate it.

Macasaurus
Oct 12, 2012

OSheaman posted:

Buffalo Trace is good, and around 25$ here, though it may be cheaper wherever you are.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

DoctaFun posted:

I like Evan Williams Single Barrel for that price. It's usually right around $25 around here.

Even cheaper many places. Very tasty.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006

silvergoose posted:

Even cheaper many places. Very tasty.

Apparently the 2003 vintage is pretty great. Look out for it.

Upside Potential
Jun 14, 2006
If you think this guy is terrible, wait till next year.

Got a bottle of Glenmorangie Nectar D'or last night on a whim. A friend had a bottle of this that I tried a few months back and I have been lusting for another sip every time I daydream. My first pour from my bottle did not disappoint.

Smokewagon
Jul 3, 2012

OSheaman posted:

I'm a fan of the Weller line (107 proof and the 12 year) as well as Evan Williams Single Barrel. Although Weller 12 is actually mid 30's around here so only worth buying when I go out of state.

Smokewagon fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Dec 22, 2012

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I got some Jameson 1780 (i.e. 12 year) for the Secret Santa at work and all in all I'm pretty pleased.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I just got a tax refund, so to celebrate this and Christmas I just ordered:

Aberlour a'Bunadh
Glenfiddich 18 Year Old
The Glenlivet 16 Year Old Nadurra
Lagavulin 16 Year Old
Ardbeg Uigeadail
Woodford Reserve Kentucky Bourbon

I'm excited.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

OSheaman posted:

Wild Turkey 101 is around that price, as is Maker's Mark.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Just got a 20cl Clynelish 1995 Single Cask with two glasses for Christmas off my mum, as well as a bottle of Ardbeg Uigeadail which I chose myself. Cracked into the Clynelish last night and it 's very tasty indeed, starts off heavil liquoricy then gives way to gentle citrus. That's what I thought after one dram anyway.

As for the Uigeadail, I only got it today so haven't tried it yet, but can hardly wait. I've not heard a bad word said about it; in fact, almost everyone seems to adore it. It was a hard choice between this, the Lagavulin 16, or a nice Balvenie, but I'm pleased with my choice. Any recommendations on how much water to put with it to best open it up? I will of course try it without, but I really don't want to waste a drop of this stuff by putting too much in.

Also got a some Peruvian dark chocolate and luxury milk chocolate, with some specially selected port to go with it, so it's going to be a very indulgent Christmas season for me!

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

A good friend of mine has stumbled across an odd rumor that several unmarked barrels of Pappy we're recently found and bottled under Jefferson's name. Needless to say they're selling without the crazy markup and he's bought us a couple bottles for the holiday.

Have any of you heard anything of this?

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Bunk Rogers posted:

A good friend of mine has stumbled across an odd rumor that several unmarked barrels of Pappy we're recently found and bottled under Jefferson's name. Needless to say they're selling without the crazy markup and he's bought us a couple bottles for the holiday.

Have any of you heard anything of this?
Jefferson's is a bottler and not a distillery, so they have to buy their new make spirit or barrels from actual distillers like Heaven Hill, Buffalo Trace, Four Roses, Make's Mark, etc. The Stitzel-Weller "Van Winkle" distillery stopped distilling in 1991. Even though the stills had gone silent, they had huge vats/tanks full of Stitzel-Weller distillate to sell off. So I'm guessing Jefferson's bought some in the early 90s and put them in their own casks.

Suffice to say, there's very little of it left today...if you bought a new batch of Pappy Van Winkle 23yr today, you'd be getting something that is some Stitzel-Weller juice and some Buffalo Trace distillate. The 12 and 15yr products are completely Buffalo Trace.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Dec 23, 2012

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I'm heading up to Speyside for my annual pilgrimage in a couple of days time.

In the interim I have set myself the task of drinking a bottle of Springbank 15 starting when I get home from work this lunchtime.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

I've missed some of the discussion--what's the general opinion on standard Four Roses bourbon? I felt like a change from the usual rum for my eggnog this year and decided to use bourbon. I've been trying to cut way back on purchasing alcohol lately; I just don't have the money for it anymore. So at $19 a bottle for a necessary ingredient, Four Roses seemed an attractive option. It's good enough for eggnog, but given the sheer amount of sugar and dairy covering it up, pretty much anything would be. What's it like on its own? Is it drinkable or should I continue finding ways to mask the flavor when I consume it?

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Four Roses is rising in popularity at a meteoric rate after having almost no domestic presence for decades. They mix and match 10 base recipes to get their flavor profile (more than anyone else) and the single barrel offerings receive high praise from critics and hobbyists alike.

TL;DR version. It's good stuff.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Dec 25, 2012

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I'm not too fond of their base offering but the single barrel is excellent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

The small batch is also often touted, though I've never tried it. It's cheaper than the single barrel too.