Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goobish
May 31, 2011

So something relatively weird just happened and I'm not sure if I should be concerned or not. I'm 14 or 15 weeks now (keep on losing track), and I haven't had any violent morning/day/night sickness to date. Well that changed about an hour ago.

Sorry if any of this is TMI. I started getting a bad stomach ache, ok whatever, go sit on the toilet. Well after about 10-15 minutes in the bathroom I was in so much pain I felt like I was literally going to pass out. Luckily there were some cups in there because I began barfing while still being on the toilet. Uhg. This has never happened to me, and I've also never barfed during pregnancy before. So it just seems weird that it randomly happened now 3 months into it. After I barfed I no longer felt like passing out. And actually I'm not sure if I barfed because I was in so much severe pain or if I'm just sick. The only thing I've experienced that was that type of severe stomach pain was when I was really dehydrated once. I'm drinking a ton of water and the cramps seem to have gone away, I hope. No blood at all I was obsessively checking the whole time.

Is this something I should call the doctor tomorrow? Is it just a fluke sickness? I'm going to mention it at my next visit in about a week but I'm just not sure if this is alarming enough to call tomorrow? Or tonight for that matter.

Also I'm doubting it was food sickness because it wasn't diarrhea at all, it was more like major constipation :(

Goobish fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Dec 21, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

Goobish posted:

So something relatively weird just happened and I'm not sure if I should be concerned or not. I'm 14 or 15 weeks now (keep on losing track), and I haven't had any violent morning/day/night sickness to date. Well that changed about an hour ago.

Sorry if any of this is TMI. I started getting a bad stomach ache, ok whatever, go sit on the toilet.

I wouldn't be too concerned, I've been having a huge battle with constipation over the last four weeks. It's very common in pregnancy.

I had a bout similar to yours and also got very nauseous and almost fainted. :blush: It's awful and embarrassing and painful, but you'll probably be fine.

If you aren't already on any you might want to ask your Dr. if you can take stool softners.

skullamity
Nov 9, 2004

Greycious posted:

Oh boy, I'm glad this Dr. talk came up.

I'm really struggling right now if I should change or not. At my last appointment I just felt like my Dr. doesn't listen to me at all.

He asked about my work yet again even though I had told him a couple times I had to stop working because I've been so sick. I was pretty emotional because it was my 12 week visit and I hadn't been in for four weeks and I was really anxious to see that the baby was doing okay because I had not been eating that well and losing weight. I started crying when he was talking about my eating habits, I just felt so helpless and guilty.
Then he started asking me about my mental health, and I was telling him I was feeling depressed but only because I've been so sick, and that I really wish I felt better so I could go back to doing things like normal again.
He kept insisting I fill out a mental health questionnaire, even though I kept saying I was just upset because I was so sick. So we wasted an extra 10 minutes for me to fill these forms out, even though he was an hour late to my appointment because of an emergency (I understand that stuff happens, but every time I go to his office it is at least a 30-45 minute wait)
He comes in, looks over my answers, and just kind of is like oh ok you're fine. No poo poo.

The thing I do like about him though is he is an OB/GYN, so I'm pretty sure that means if I need something like a c-section he would be able to do that. He's also the only Dr. in his practice. He'd be the one delivering the baby.
And.. I'm somewhat use to him being my Dr. I've been going to him for about 3 years.

Am I over reacting to the way he treated me at my last appointment?

I do have a neighbor who told me about a friend who has a family practice in the town right next to mine, which is a 5 minute drive instead of a 40 minute drive. I'm thinking of making an appointment there just to check the place out and talk with the Dr.
The only thing that concerns me is I don't think she is an OB/GYN. She does do child birthing, but I am worried that if I have any complications she would have to call whatever ob/gyn or surgeon that is affiliated with the hospital.
She also doesn't deliver at my top choice for hospitals..but I'd be willing to overlook that if she's awesome in all other aspects.

Sorry that was kind of long. Am I right about the differences between and OB/GYN and a Dr. that works in a family practice and does deliveries? I'm not so sure.

Honestly, there are probably explanations for a lot of the way he treated you--my kid has been to her doctor for four or five times since being born and my doctor has trouble remembering whether she is a boy or a girl. If you're seeing a general practitioner who does family doctor stuff outside of obstetrics, they're crazy busy his time of year, especially if the office will be closed at all for Christmas. Here seeing hundreds of people weekly for last minute stuff, flu shots, and at my doctor's office, shingles vaccine. He legit may have forgotten you ever told him about your sickness and work and asked again because he didn't remember the conversation the first time around.

As for the mental health survey, while you know you're fine, I think it's a better safe than sorry situation for him in this busy season; I'm sure there are people out there who DO need the mental health survey that also insist they are fine and feel that they are done when they actually are not. Getting you to fill it out if you were obviously distressed is probably the very least he could have done to assure himself that you were in fact fine. No harm done.

That said, if you're really not connecting with him and are unsure of his methods, you really could (and maybe should) fond someone else. I actually can't imagine having a male doctor. The idea totally weirds me out. :/

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS
Liability, liability, liability. If you're acting depressed and he doesn't get everything down on paper that you're fine, then he's facing a possible malpractice suit if you hurt yourself. Health care is a ridiculously uncaring profession.

I was lucky to have a female CNM throughout my pregnancy but thanks to Pictocin I delivered with my male OB. Honestly when it comes down to it and you're laboring and pushing out a kid, you have far more important things in mind than who's sitting in front of your vagina.

sudont
May 10, 2011
this program is useful for when you don't want to do something.

Fun Shoe
Whinnnnnnnne. I've never had a flu shot in my life, and I got mine today. I'm totally not an antivaxer or anything like that so I wasn't hesitant to do it and wasn't concerned that I'd "get the flu" from the shot or whatever. But starting around 2 hrs ago, I feel like I've been hit by a truck. Chills, hot flashes, intense body ache. I'm sure it'll pass soon, but not being able to take anything more than Tylenol is miserable. I can't sleeeeeeep.

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007

Lyz posted:

Liability, liability, liability. If you're acting depressed and he doesn't get everything down on paper that you're fine, then he's facing a possible malpractice suit if you hurt yourself. Health care is a ridiculously uncaring profession.

As a healthcare worker I'm sorry if this is your experience, but I find this incredibly insulting.

Those questionnaires may seem tedious, but not only is it required by law in most places, it can also serve as a baseline in case you start to have issues at some point during the pregnancy or post-partum. We had moms fill those out when I worked in peds and we still do it even in organ transplantation.

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

Lyz posted:

I was lucky to have a female CNM throughout my pregnancy but thanks to Pictocin I delivered with my male OB. Honestly when it comes down to it and you're laboring and pushing out a kid, you have far more important things in mind than who's sitting in front of your vagina.

I was thinking it might partly be because of liability.

As for the Family care place I was going to look into, my friend sounds as though she isn't really busy right now because she just got back from having her own baby, and is accepting new clients. I figure it won't hurt to check it out.

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS

Twatty Seahag posted:

As a healthcare worker I'm sorry if this is your experience, but I find this incredibly insulting.

Don't get me wrong, people WANT to care and of course do, but most large providers like hospitals or pharmacies devote a lot of effort to treating every patient like a lawsuit waiting to happen. Policies, flowcharts, questionnaires, training modules for the staff... I helped a fair bit with all the administrative stuff (since I had a knack for tidying up charts), where every word had to be scrutinized, every change in policy carefully tracked. It is a ridiculous amount of paperwork to make sure hospitals can point to a sheet and say "our employee followed every step, we're not at fault."

But I'm getting off topic. Likely Greycious's doctor is associated with a hospital or group who pushes all these requirements on him or he's just very busy and is rather abrupt, but if she finds him that offensive she should definitely look into other doctors. My CNM certainly does her best to get me in and out as quickly as possible because she's part of a very popular practice, but she's always sat down with me and answered any questions I had before bolting out the door.

(Edit: I should clarify, I worked in pharmacy which is probably THE most obsessed with all of these things. Medication error? Buckle up and hang on to your job for dear life.)

Lyz fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Dec 21, 2012

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

Greycious posted:

Oh boy, I'm glad this Dr. talk came up.

I'm really struggling right now if I should change or not. At my last appointment I just felt like my Dr. doesn't listen to me at all.

He asked about my work yet again even though I had told him a couple times I had to stop working because I've been so sick. I was pretty emotional because it was my 12 week visit and I hadn't been in for four weeks and I was really anxious to see that the baby was doing okay because I had not been eating that well and losing weight. I started crying when he was talking about my eating habits, I just felt so helpless and guilty.
Then he started asking me about my mental health, and I was telling him I was feeling depressed but only because I've been so sick, and that I really wish I felt better so I could go back to doing things like normal again.
He kept insisting I fill out a mental health questionnaire, even though I kept saying I was just upset because I was so sick. So we wasted an extra 10 minutes for me to fill these forms out, even though he was an hour late to my appointment because of an emergency (I understand that stuff happens, but every time I go to his office it is at least a 30-45 minute wait)
He comes in, looks over my answers, and just kind of is like oh ok you're fine. No poo poo.

The thing I do like about him though is he is an OB/GYN, so I'm pretty sure that means if I need something like a c-section he would be able to do that. He's also the only Dr. in his practice. He'd be the one delivering the baby.
And.. I'm somewhat use to him being my Dr. I've been going to him for about 3 years.

Am I over reacting to the way he treated me at my last appointment?

I do have a neighbor who told me about a friend who has a family practice in the town right next to mine, which is a 5 minute drive instead of a 40 minute drive. I'm thinking of making an appointment there just to check the place out and talk with the Dr.
The only thing that concerns me is I don't think she is an OB/GYN. She does do child birthing, but I am worried that if I have any complications she would have to call whatever ob/gyn or surgeon that is affiliated with the hospital.
She also doesn't deliver at my top choice for hospitals..but I'd be willing to overlook that if she's awesome in all other aspects.

Sorry that was kind of long. Am I right about the differences between and OB/GYN and a Dr. that works in a family practice and does deliveries? I'm not so sure.

For reference, 2nd year med student here, so my advice on the matter may not be 100% accurate. But basically Family Medicine trained physicians come out of residency with a skill set that's sort of an overlap of medicine (general doc for adults), pediatrics, and OB/GYN. How exactly they're able to practice, though, is very much dependent on their geographical location. Generally as you get into more densely populated areas, the business of delivering babies (and the prenatal care associated with that) falls under the scope of practice of OBs, and hospitals or health care systems may not clear FPs (Family Practitioners) to deliver in their facilities. On the other hand, in more remote areas, FPs may have a much broader scope including some surgical procedures. The way it's been described to me by one doc is that in most areas the FP serves like a quarterback during a delivery and coordinates the services of the various different specialties that might be needed (anesthesiologists, OBs for surgical intervention, etc), but is able to function completely autonomously for births without major complications. FPs are also able to provide routine childcare (and adult) checkups which OBs are not, so if you do find that you really enjoy their care during your pregnancy, they can continue to care for your child after the birth. In general, though, OBs have a higher level of training and practice when it comes to more complicated pregnancies and deliveries.

Now, something else to consider is the facility that you'll be delivering at. Some of them have all the specialty services on site 24/7 and have a neonatal intensive care unit. Others may only have the services on call (this introduces some delay in a procedure if your birth requires unanticipated services) and may need to transport a newborn elsewhere if a higher level of care is needed. Different physicians may only be cleared to deliver at certain sites, so it may be worth considering this as you make your choice. Children are born perfectly healthily at both of these types of sites, so you have to take your own judgement and the course of your pregnancy into account if you face this choice when choosing providers.

Apologies for my own rambling, but I'll throw in my own experience here also. My wife chose her OB based on recommendations from friends, many of whom suggested a particular practice consisting of 2 OBs and 2 nurse midwives. Her average wait-time for an appointment was at least 45 minutes and she definitely experienced some responses during appointments that reflected less than 100% attention was being paid to her responses. However she stuck with her previous positive experience with the group and trusted the friends who recommended the practice and in particular their testimony to how the actual deliveries had gone and stuck with the group. Our delivery ended up going great (despite deviating a bit from our original birth plan), and should another kid be in the works while we're still in the area, we'll be sticking with that practice, 45 minute waits and all.

ChloroformSeduction
Sep 3, 2006

THERE'S NO CURE FOR BEING A CUNT, SO PLEASE KEEP REMINDING ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
When I think of how people I know picked their OB or midwife, it was either that they were just assigned to that person (which is how mine went - my GP doesn't do obstetrics, so referred me out, and I ended up really liking my OB, even if her locums were lovely), or, if they do hunt around on their own, it's always that they were recommended to them by their friends and/or they liked their bedside manner. I've never seen anyone outside of an actual healthcare worker pick their OB based on their reputation amongst their peers.

It's really a personal choice. For me, I don't give two shits about bedside manner, and I don't care if you're an rear end in a top hat. Obviously, not everyone feels this way - healthcare is a pretty personal decision and it's always a balancing act between all the factors. When I managed to talk to some L&D nurses outside of work, it turns out that the super popular OB that everyone likes does a total hack job on his patients if there are complications. Great to chat with at the Christmas party, does all the local celebrity wives, but kind of sloppy on the actual surgery end of things if you need it.

Anyway, point being, go with who makes you feel the most comfortable and works for you. I second Taratozsk on the facility you delivery at being important as well, since day of, there are no guarantees who you're going to see.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Here is a dumb question... I am a little over 14 weeks (14.2). I have always been a stomach sleeper. When should I make a conscious effort to stop sleeping on my stomach? Or will I be too big to want to do that before it makes much of a difference.

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive
nah.

Lullabee fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Mar 21, 2017

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

sheri posted:

Here is a dumb question... I am a little over 14 weeks (14.2). I have always been a stomach sleeper. When should I make a conscious effort to stop sleeping on my stomach? Or will I be too big to want to do that before it makes much of a difference.

When it becomes uncomfortable, you should stop doing it. Same for lying on your back - as your uterus grows, lying on your back can cause you to feel dizzy and sick because it presses on a big vein. That doesn't happen to everyone though, I've been able to sleep on my back my entire pregnancy.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

sheri posted:

I kind of go to sleep half on my back, half on my side, and the degree is gradually getting more towards side as the bump gets bigger. When I'm asleep though I roll onto my back.

An Cat Dubh
Jun 17, 2005
Save the drama for your llama
I was told not to sleep on my back because, like rectal cushion said, your uterus can compress a big vein and make you breathless, which affects the baby. I've always slept on my side but kind of rolled inward toward the bed. If I try to do that now where any part of my stomach touches the bed the baby will start kicking like crazy.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I've never posted in this thread, but I've been lurking it for months now and I guess it's finally time I said something!

My girlfriend is expecting our first baby, and was booked in for a planned C-Section on Christmas Day, but she called me today telling me that her mucus plug had come out and that she was on the way to the hospital.

I should say at this point that I'm a British guy living in the south of Thailand, and my girlfriend is from the north of Thailand. We met in the south, but she went back up north a month or so ago so she could have the support of her family towards the end of the pregnancy. I've been working, but my Christmas holiday started today and I've got a flight booked for tomorrow morning.

Unfortunately, she called me a little while ago to say that the operation has now been moved forward to midnight tonight, and I'm going to miss the birth of my son. :(

This is obviously really lovely, but I'll get over it - I'll be there by tomorrow afternoon to meet the little dude, but what's really getting to me at the moment is the nerves and not knowing what's happening. Her cousin is keeping me updated, but I'm still pacing around not knowing what to do with myself, feeling useless and kind of lost.

I don't really know how to finish this post - just wanted to get it off my chest I guess. :unsmith:

Bardeh fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Dec 22, 2012

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Losing your mucous plug doesn't mean labor is imminent. Some people lose it weeks before they go into labor.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Alterian posted:

Losing your mucous plug doesn't mean labor is imminent. Some people lose it weeks before they go into labor.

I found this out after she told me, but she's already 39 weeks and I guess the doctor has examined her and decided that it's better he come out sooner rather than later. I'm working off incomplete information, but I guess I'll find out tomorrow.

Now it's just time to play the waiting game, from 1600km away. :(

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

STUBBSSSSS INNNNNN SPACEEEE!

ChloroformSeduction posted:

When I think of how people I know picked their OB or midwife, it was either that they were just assigned to that person (which is how mine went - my GP doesn't do obstetrics, so referred me out, and I ended up really liking my OB, even if her locums were lovely), or, if they do hunt around on their own, it's always that they were recommended to them by their friends and/or they liked their bedside manner. I've never seen anyone outside of an actual healthcare worker pick their OB based on their reputation amongst their peers.

It's really a personal choice. For me, I don't give two shits about bedside manner, and I don't care if you're an rear end in a top hat. Obviously, not everyone feels this way - healthcare is a pretty personal decision and it's always a balancing act between all the factors. When I managed to talk to some L&D nurses outside of work, it turns out that the super popular OB that everyone likes does a total hack job on his patients if there are complications. Great to chat with at the Christmas party, does all the local celebrity wives, but kind of sloppy on the actual surgery end of things if you need it.

Anyway, point being, go with who makes you feel the most comfortable and works for you. I second Taratozsk on the facility you delivery at being important as well, since day of, there are no guarantees who you're going to see.

I ended up with my OB years ago because the she was the one my husband's boss (who is a highly respected doctor with the world's shittiest bedside manner) recommended. Our reasoning was that he may be an rear end in a top hat but he doesn't gently caress around with patient care, so if he sends his own family to them then they know what they're doing. I don't love my OB but the medical care I receive is top notch. I chose my endocrinologist and neurologist the same way - asked for a rec from this same doctor.

frenchnewwave
Jun 7, 2012

Would you like a Cuppa?
I see a GP for simple stuff like cold/flu. I don't really go for well visits, just if I have a complaint. Last time I went was for insomnia and anxiety bc it's almost impossible to find a psychiatrist who doesn't have a three month wait list.

I see a large group practice obgyn with about a dozen doctors. During my pregnancy I tried seeing most of them at least once since I couldn't predict who would be on call for delivery. Luckily my favorite dr ended up being the one. If I do it again, I'll probably change practices and see a single doctor (or at least a smaller group). I didn't feel like one dr had any clue what had been discussed the previous month, and it felt very rushed. My appointments were about 5 minutes and my questions kind of brushed off. I know it's all routine to them, but as a first time mom I was really paranoid.

Sammeow
Aug 21, 2010
nevermind

Sammeow fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Dec 24, 2012

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

When did you all start showing with your first one?

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

sheri posted:

Around 18 weeks maybe?

e: I could hide it for quite a while longer though with loose clothes

bilabial trill fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Dec 24, 2012

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

sheri posted:

With all pregnancies I just looked fat until about 8 months.

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

I'm just barely over 14 weeks right now and I can notice I have a slight bump. No one else would notice it though when I'm clothed.

Also, on some good news I've been feeling slightly better yesterday and today. Enough to have a bit of an increased appetite. I hope this means I'll be nausea-free soon..
Most foods still sound 'meh' to me though. And onions are my bane, for some reason anything with onion in it is horrible because all I can taste is super-strong onion.

I tried orange juice after reading a lot of you had been craving it during pregnancy and now it's primarily what I drink. I don't think I'll be lacking in vitamin C!

Cathis
Sep 11, 2001

Me in a hotel with a mini-bar. How's that story end?

sheri posted:

Probably about 12 weeks. By the time I hit 15 weeks it was pretty obvious.

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

STUBBSSSSS INNNNNN SPACEEEE!

I started showing around 15 weeks, and around 22-23 weeks I suddenly looked pretty big. It coincided with baby having a growth spurt, unsurprisingly.

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive
nah.

Lullabee fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Mar 21, 2017

sudont
May 10, 2011
this program is useful for when you don't want to do something.

Fun Shoe
I am wicked skinny, so it's hard to say because I went from being concave to having a belly pretty immediately, but I'm 16 weeks this week and I'd say I now look pregnant rather than "did you gain weight?" (Also holy poo poo I have cleavage for the first time in my entire life!)

Good luck to all of you planning to tell people tonight/tomorrow and happy holidays!

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

I'm super skinny and was showing enough for myself and close friends to notice by about 15 weeks but am only just now hitting the point where I think strangers realize I'm pregnant (22 weeks).

I could definitely still hide it with the right clothing though.

Cinderella
Feb 7, 2007
I'm not worried really, but more interested to see how common this sort of situation is.
My period is a week or so late at the moment with a previous positive hpt, so when I went to the doctor to get checked out they said my urine test registered negative, but the ultrasound showed that my uterine walls are thickened, so they say they can't conclude that I am pregnant or not since it would still be really early. They said to come back in 2 or so weeks if I don't get my period soon, and then they will test again etc.

However, this morning I tested with a regular home pregnancy test because I was curious, and i got a pretty obvious positive. Also, since Saturday I've been feeling sick to my stomach, tired, sore breasts, and everything fun like that.

Do I just wait and see, or was my doctor's office use non-sensitive tests or what?

And no, they will not do a blood test to check hormone levels here. :japan: I have to go to find a doctor that would be willing to listening to my silly woman demands. Based on previous experiences, they also won't give you the results of your test for 10-14 days :rolleyes:

Helanna
Feb 1, 2007

I did 2 positive tests at home (very faintly positive), period was late, and that was good enough for me. Went to the doctors a couple of days later, and they did another 2 urine tests because their first test didn't look positive and the second barely showed anything. Even then the doctor was sceptical and was sort of "we'll see". I doubted my sanity a little, but went and bought an expensive digital ClearBlue test which clearly wrote "Pregnant" on the result window! It took another few days before I was getting strong positives on normal tests. I'd say the one the doctors use is just not very good!

And congratulations!

tse1618
May 27, 2008

Cuddle time!

sheri posted:

I was thin to start with, but didn't start looking pregnant until 7 around months in. I don't think I even looked like I was gaining weight until 4 or 5 months in. Now I'm 37 weeks and people are always telling me how tiny I am. It freaked me out for a long time that I wasn't gaining a lot of weight or getting bigger but the ultrasounds all showed a normal sized baby so I guess it really depends a lot on the individual.

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

Cinderella posted:

I'm not worried really, but more interested to see how common this sort of situation is.
My period is a week or so late at the moment with a previous positive hpt, so when I went to the doctor to get checked out they said my urine test registered negative, but the ultrasound showed that my uterine walls are thickened, so they say they can't conclude that I am pregnant or not since it would still be really early. They said to come back in 2 or so weeks if I don't get my period soon, and then they will test again etc.

However, this morning I tested with a regular home pregnancy test because I was curious, and i got a pretty obvious positive. Also, since Saturday I've been feeling sick to my stomach, tired, sore breasts, and everything fun like that.

Do I just wait and see, or was my doctor's office use non-sensitive tests or what?

And no, they will not do a blood test to check hormone levels here. :japan: I have to go to find a doctor that would be willing to listening to my silly woman demands. Based on previous experiences, they also won't give you the results of your test for 10-14 days :rolleyes:

You're probably pregnant :)
If the doctor's office only did one urine test they might have used an old test strip...

if you have multiple at home tests reading positive, chances are good they're right. I would buy a second brand/type (maybe a digital) to test again at home if you're still uncertain.

Cinderella
Feb 7, 2007
Thanks for the input. :) I'll just assume I am pregnant just to play it safe unless anything otherwise comes up (period coming etc). I'm not super worried, but I did have a miscarriage at 9 weeks this Fall, so I'm feeling a huge range of emotions right now. Those things happen, but it makes me a bit nervous!

I think the best thing I can do is approach is positively with an appropriate amount of caution until everything is confirmed.

So, that said on a positive note my husband was like "Christmas is going to be so much fun next year if we have a baby!" all day yesterday...:3: It really made my day to see him so happy about everything.

frenchnewwave
Jun 7, 2012

Would you like a Cuppa?
Congrats!! I would agree that you're probably pregnant. Hope all goes well, and welcome to the mommy club!

Lucha Luch
Feb 25, 2007

Mr. Squeakers coming off the top rope!

Lullabee posted:

I'm overweight, so up until about week 28 I was in that awkward 'I don't know if she's pregnant or just disproportionally fat' stage.

Haaa same as that. I haven't actually gained much, though. Maybe 8 pounds since the start of the pregnancy, and then around 25 weeks I suddenly looked actually pregnant instead of fatter. It really does just depend on your body type.

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

I've just recently started to have baby dreams. Last night I dreamed I went to my Dr's and while doing the ultrasound the Dr. asked if I wanted to know the sex.
On the screen (it was a giant TV screen instead of the normal ultrasound one) there was what looked like a 5-6 year old boy curled up in a ball inside my uterus. I was all, Aww look it's a boy, look how cute his face is it's so boy-ish! and it had lots of freckles and red hair :confused: Looked nothing like my husband or I.
Then the Dr. asked if we wanted to know what it was, and I said yes, and it turned out to actually be a girl. Of course I was still all excited, but then the picture was just gone because my mind didn't know what to put there after that I guess.

Poison Cake
Feb 15, 2012

Dandy Shrew posted:

Maybe 8 pounds since the start of the pregnancy, and then around 25 weeks I suddenly looked actually pregnant instead of fatter. It really does just depend on your body type.

I'm pear-shaped and this was me exactly. Pre-pregnancy, I was carrying maybe ten extra pounds for my height and build (I'm short and light-framed) and for awhile it just looked like I'd put on a bit more weight.

That said, when I got cleavage, I got a bigger butt at the same time. So I went up a size in pants before my belly was ever an issue.

Edited to add, a physical therapist friend swore she could tell from the way I moved before it was ever a definite, "Yup, she's pregnant!" belly thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iwik
Oct 12, 2007
I didn't really start showing for ages, then I think around 22 weeks was when I thought I looked more pregnant and less 'had a big lunch'.

Though, all the weight I put on was pretty much just around the baby, and it wasn't obvious from the front/back - really only side-on.

The thing I found funny was that I was working at the cafe till I was 38 weeks, then when I disappeared and people asked where I was and were told I was on maternity leave, there were quite a few that were all "WHAT!? She is/was pregnant!?"

These were people that were in all the time, regular customers, or regularly travelled with me over.