Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
I guess Nintendo's servers for TVii must have been getting hammered or something, because tonight I was able to search and find basically everything I was complaining about yesterday. Either that or they've been doing some behind-the-scenes updates, and either way, once they integrate Netflix into this thing, this is going to be a really cool and useful app.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

ZeroAX posted:

You probably don't need a giant antenna. I took an old coaxial cable, cut it to about 3-4 feet and exposed about an inch of the copper wire on the end and now I get a perfect signal.

This is pretty random, but I just wanted to say I love hearing about solutions like this.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I like TVii, it works pretty well for me. I have no idea why the remote part is so lagged compared to the TV button. It's IR, what's the hold up? It's the same drat blaster! There's basically only a few problems with it for me so far

1) Remote is slow

2) No MyDVR button, or Settings button, or Channel Return button. These would be trivial to implement, they are just IR that every standard cable box remote has. I don't understand why recording on Tivo is the only option, when every box is capable of recording these days.

3) Amazon Instant. When I click on a show it might show up as being available on Live TV, Hulu, and Amazon, but it is always "purchase from Amazon" and not "Watch on Amazon Prime". This is for shows I know are on Amazon Prime as well. I haven't actually clicked one, maybe it would end up taking me to the correct place, but it is weird it doesn't sense I have Prime and direct me to that.

4) No controls other than touch screen. If you could navigate with the control pad, control stick, the a and b buttons, and the L and R buttons, the usability would be improved immensely. Also one of the buttons going back to the start page because currently if you start navigating around and go down the rabbit hole, you have to hit back five or ten times to get back to the beginning.

5) Grid view needs to wrap around. HD channels are always at the top. Now you have to drag your stylus down 900 channels to get to the ones you need. If you could just go up it would be so much easier. Or if the control stick worked, or if you could hold L2 and R2 like in the browser and tilt your way down.

If they could basically address these issues it would be pretty drat awesome. I already enjoy it, it could be perfected.

Just to list some things I love about it and was surprised by:

1) Wikipedia: I did not expect I'd be able to easily click a wikipedia entry for whatever movie I'm looking at.

2) IMDB. I can look at a cast of a movie, click an actor, then it will show me all their movies and TV shows. That is awesome. Wish I could favorite actors.

3) Built in trailers. A lot of movies you can click and just play a trailer right on the gamepad, which I also was not expecting.

4) Sports info. I watched the Poinsettia bowl last night. The field layout and stats information was fast, and really cool. If Nintendo manage to get ESPN3 on board it would be pretty amazing(I think Microsoft currently pays them for exclusivity however).

5) The Live TV tab, and The Favorites tab are really awesome, especially Favorites. Click favorites, click upcoming, boom. Every show I like that is coming up any time soon. Exactly which episode of that show. This is great for highly syndicated shows I watch the hell out of, like King of the Hill, Seinfeld, Futurama. Like I mentioned above, if I could add individual actors to favorites and those shows appeared in the upcoming tab as well, it would be amazing.

So that's my TVii impressions so far.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

I just started watching Dumb and Dumber on Amazon Instant Video and noticed they have their Xray service on it. It seems like a cool use of the pad while you are watching a movie on the tv.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Miiverse is amazing.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I’m pleasantly surprised at the streaming services.

TVii is okay too, I guess, but it’s only a matter of time before I ditch cable anyway. UI leaves a little to be desired (touchscreen‐only, grid view is unresponsive and has no way to jump to a channel number, as far as I know), but it’s still better than Comcast’s poo poo, so whatever.

I’m amused that Nintendo’s console does a better job than Microsoft’s at being a media centre, considering that’s basically the entire reason Microsoft got into the business way back at the turn of the century.

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches

Bombadilillo posted:

Servers are probably going to be getting killed around Xmas.
Oh god I didn't even think about this.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Supercar Gautier posted:

Miiverse is amazing.

Stop making me hate myself for being terrible at drawing. :smith:

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Gaming is really loving expensive and the industry and their consumers are still in denial about the costs.

THQ Bankruptcy details say they owe the WWE $45 million. WWE was one of the only properties that were successful for them. They were willing to sell the UFC license over it.

I would not be surprised if we're heading towards another gaming crash and everyone has their heads in the sand about it.

Geesh... Maybe that explains why they were trying to sell WWE '13 for $80 with all the on disc DLC. I'm so glad I got the whole package for $35 after the Playstation Plus discount and Black Friday sale. REDICULOUS!

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Now that the Steam sale is going, if there were some magical, mystical way to connect the WiiU to Steam I don't think I'd even sleep. I would just be on that all day and night.

A girl can dream! :allears:

Edit:

Christmas greetings from Satoru Shibata!

The Lobster fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Dec 23, 2012

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

The Lobster posted:

Now that the Steam sale is going, if there were some magical, mystical way to connect the WiiU to Steam I don't think I'd even sleep. I would just be on that all day and night.

A girl can dream! :allears:

Isn't Steam connected on PSN or something? It's not impossible. And Nintendo's pretty desperate to show how loving hardcore they are.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
http://herocomplex.latimes.com/2012/12/20/star-trek-the-video-game-gets-april-release-date/

I was actually really hoping this would come to Wii U. At least it will be on PC. (Star Trek: The Video Game)

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Bobnumerotres posted:

Isn't Steam connected on PSN or something?

You can play cross-platform with Steam users in Portal 2 co-op, that's the extent of it.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Supercar Gautier posted:

Miiverse is amazing.

I know right, doodled this in Nintendo Land earlier and it's fun seeing YEAHS on it

Was walking around Nintendo Land and saw someone with a cock drawing, by the time I went to report the dude ("Hilarious" as it is) Nintendo already drowned the guy. They're... surprisingly on top of it, I wonder how long it'll last.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
I had one of my Miiverse comments made about a month ago pulled by Nintendo just recently for apparently being a spoiler. The game in question was NSMBU, and the spoiler was apparently me making an off-hand remark about Bowser putting the Sumo Bros. back on the payroll. :shrug:

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Mercury Crusader posted:

I had one of my Miiverse comments made about a month ago pulled by Nintendo just recently for apparently being a spoiler. The game in question was NSMBU, and the spoiler was apparently me making an off-hand remark about Bowser putting the Sumo Bros. back on the payroll. :shrug:

That... was me who flagged it. I hope we can still be friends.

They don't pull the comment though do they? They just tag it with a warning.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

AngryCaterpillar posted:

That... was me who flagged it. I hope we can still be friends.

They don't pull the comment though do they? They just tag it with a warning.

We're cool. :)

I'm not sure if they actually removed it or marked it as a spoiler, to be honest. All I know is that I got a warning about it and that was that.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
In case anyone is having trouble connecting to TVii, I found a solution. Try using manual DNS settings on the Wii U using Google's public DNS. Primary: 8.8.8.8, Secondary: 8.8.4.4

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

So, for those who don't know, here's a short recap of the past couple of Nintendo presentations and interviews, and the ongoing internal struggle:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k08pQDoPmXc

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

I haven't seen too much. I've reported one or two things as unflagged spoilers and reported one SUPER HILARIOUS GUYS drawing of pot. Other than that the worst I have seen is a butt, helpfully labelled, "butt."

Actually, that's not true. A picture of a penis family did make it into my Nintendoland Plaza. I was actually pretty pissed about that. As far as dick drawings go, though, a lot of effort went into it, so there is that. :golfclap: (It was deleted before I could even get close to reporting it.)

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

God forbid a child see a crudely scribbled image of a cannabis leaf. They'd be emotionally scarred for life.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

ChocNitty posted:

God forbid a child see a crudely scribbled image of a cannabis leaf. They'd be emotionally scarred for life.

Drugs are fine, but I personally enjoy the moderation. If you want to see people drawing dicks go on reddit, 4chan, right hereany other place on the internet.

Shouldn't be too hard to keep this kind of thing up if you just restrict people's posting abilities for a time/permanently when they pull dumb stuff like that.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

ChocNitty posted:

God forbid you be disallowed from drawing yet another cannabis leaf on the internet.

Seriously though, I'm not surprised they're paying this much attention to what people are putting up. It's Nintendo's first real attempt at some type of internet community and they're already rather big on their family friendly reputation.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

God forbid you be disallowed from drawing yet another cannabis leaf on the internet.

Seriously though, I'm not surprised they're paying this much attention to what people are putting up. It's Nintendo's first real attempt at some type of internet community and they're already rather big on their family friendly reputation.

I have no problem with pot. But it doesn't really belong on a Nintendo console. There are other places.

I agree that it makes sense they're putting this much effort in, and I like it, too. If I want to be called horrible things or see dicks I'll go literally any place else. Hell, I got bitched out right here. It only goes up from there. It's nice to have a place where the trolling is funny (Funky Barn community, or that 30 games thing with the bear) and the content is moderated. Mario really isn't improved by drawings of him getting rear end hosed or by a bunch of twelve year olds calling each other fags as they stomp each other into a pit in multiplayer.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Mercury Crusader posted:

My friend made a sploiler post that Luigi dies at the end of NSMBU and it didn't get deleted by admins.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
What the gently caress, Ive been playing Little Inferno for an hour, Im not even DOING anything! Where the hell did this time go?

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Detective No. 27 posted:

My friend made a sploiler post that Luigi dies at the end of NSMBU and it didn't get deleted by admins.

Mario dies at the end of Donkey Kong Jr.

(I think I can post that after 30 years.)

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Yeah that is rightfully prohibited, not for being offensive, but for utter lack of originality.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Gutcruncher posted:

What the gently caress, Ive been playing Little Inferno for an hour, Im not even DOING anything! Where the hell did this time go?

Into the fireplace with everything else. Snuggle up, it's cold outside! :3:

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

It's just not the same without widescreen.

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Mario dies at the end of Donkey Kong Jr.

(I think I can post that after 30 years.)

Mario dies in every game.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
So far, TVii is working well for sports. Watching the Steelers/Bengals game. Its play-by-play takes about a minute to catch up, so it's always about a play behind, which isn't that bad.

You can make a text comment on any play. Apparently you can 'like' a play as well, but while I can't see how, others seem to do it.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Rake Arms posted:

Mario dies in every game.

Mario is the epitome of "looking for love in all the wrong places".

Nevhix
Nov 18, 2006

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.
Didn't see it mentioned in the OP but was pleasantly surprised to find out at least in single player Sonic All stars racing supports the Wii U Pro Controller despite not saying so on box or menus.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

The Lobster posted:

Into the fireplace with everything else. Snuggle up, it's cold outside! :3:

There's no need for alarm. Just sit by your fire, burn all of your toys, and stay warm. :sun:

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Veotax posted:

You can play cross-platform with Steam users in Portal 2 co-op, that's the extent of it.

Buying the ps3 version would also get you a code to play Portal 2 on steam on a Mac or PC too... And I think resume your same saved game file

Apollo Bob
Feb 3, 2006

I heard the grafix was crazy.
Step 1 - Buy NSMBU through the eShop
Step 2 - Redeem 5 dollar credit
Step 3 - Apply credit towards already discounted Trine 2
Step 4 - Get Trine 2 Director's Cut for 11 bux
Step 5 - :smug:

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

Apollo Bob posted:

Step 1 - Buy NSMBU through the eShop
Step 2 - Redeem 5 dollar credit
Step 3 - Apply credit towards already discounted Trine 2
Step 4 - Get Trine 2 Director's Cut for 11 bux
Step 5 - :smug:

Speaking of, would you also get $1.50 back for the purchase of Trine 2 too?

Also, clarifying question: you cannot install games to the internal HD, right? If no, what's the point of it?

E: I posted in the ID thread too but I got my WiiU setup, you can add Louisgod to your list.

Louisgod fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Dec 24, 2012

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Louisgod posted:

Also, clarifying question: you cannot install games to the internal HD, right? If no, what's the point of it?

E: I posted in the ID thread too but I got my WiiU setup, you can add Louisgod to your list.

You can with the 32 gig model. Not sure about the 8 gig.

Edit: How do you redeem your deluxe credit?

edit: nevermind. ddp.nintendo.com

edit edit: hot poo poo! I have 10 bucks in credit. Now to buy something. Gonna get Little inferno so I don't have to spend any money.

Fart Sandwiches fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Dec 24, 2012

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Louisgod posted:

Downloadable games, I guess. That and it gives you plenty of space for homebrew when that happens, I suppose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apollo Bob
Feb 3, 2006

I heard the grafix was crazy.

Louisgod posted:

I should get points back equivalent to whatever I actually spent, as far as I know. So yeah, another 109 points or so.

Both NSMBU and Trine are installed on my internal HD right now - the 32GB storage that comes with the Premium is already partially taken up with data out of the box, but enough is left over for at least a few things. Those 2 games combined take up somewhere short of 4GB I believe.

Update - checked my drive and have 21GB space remaining.

Apollo Bob fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Dec 24, 2012

• Locked thread