Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Fat Turkey posted:

Every year I tend to ask here for a new board game to play with family (former winning entries were Settlers, Carcassone and Pandemic, and I'm borrowing Ticket To Ride this year).

We tohught we had enough to cover us, but then I saw many versions of Munchkin being sold in a local bookshop. Would Munchkin be a suitable game, with what I'm looking for being
- More fun for everyone, particularly new people, than the more strategic ones I mentioned
- Easy to learn
- Funny for non D&d knowing people to follow.

I saw different varients, including Booty, Bites, Apocalypse and Super. I was thinking one of these as they were of a more approachable theme than D&D, maybe Super Munchkins since my family know generally about comic books and superpowers, which would make more sense than D&D terms.

The review sites I've seen have been pretty mixed.

Munchkin loving blows. The gameplay itself is horrible, and its sole redeeming value is the "hey remember that thing from D&D" jokes.

Is there a reason you couldn't just bring Ticket to Ride back?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Instead of Munchkin, get Frank's Zoo which is a cute trick taking card game that can play up to 7.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Lichtenstein posted:

Munchkin is never suitable for anything.

If you're prototyping your own card game and need something to stuff in a sleeve to give your printouts some body, a Munchkin card won't fit.
If you are on the phone and need to jot down a note, your pen won't write on a Munchkin card.
If you are cold and need kindling for a fire, Munchkin won't even have the decency to burn.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
You didn't really say how many people would be playing, but I'm guessing 3-4 from the other games you mentioned? Maybe try Citadels, it plays very well with 4-5, is pretty quick, and is super easy to understand.

Catacombs has been a huge hit among my friends and family too since the mechanics are basically "flick a thing at a thing" and odds are if you've taken more than 3 minutes to explain the rules you've already done too much. Check out the Shut Up & Sit Down episode about it, it's only 7 minutes and sold me instantly.

Finally, maybe try Mundus Novus. It's a simple trading game played with cards, and everyone I've played it with loves it. It helps that the game is super cheap (like $15 on Amazon or something), so you can tack it on to another game purchase if you want!

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Lichtenstein posted:

Munchkin is never suitable for anything.
Kindling?

Poopy Palpy posted:

If you are cold and need kindling for a fire, Munchkin won't even have the decency to burn.
Oh. :downsgun:

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Munchkin is very suitable as an example of how bad game mechanics will ruin a game.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
Haha, that's a pretty resounding no!

Crackbone posted:

Munchkin loving blows. The gameplay itself is horrible, and its sole redeeming value is the "hey remember that thing from D&D" jokes.

Is there a reason you couldn't just bring Ticket to Ride back?

Yeah, that's what I figured when I looked at it. Lots of in-jokes, but the basic premise sounded fun enough. I watched a fair number of those Tabletop Gaming things and it looked OK on there, but wasn't sure how good it was away from HEY D&D, which my group aren't into.

Ticket to Ride will be premiering, as we're borrowing it from a friend of mine, and I think it should be a good replacement. I think it has the right balance of strategy but then not too hard for new people.

I appreciate the other suggestions, but at such short notice and the lack of these kinda things in the UK, Citadels is the only one I could maybe get, and even then IU'm not sure, but I'll look into it, and keep your suggestions in mind for next year, or my birthday in January.

Thanks again!

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Fat Turkey posted:

Haha, that's a pretty resounding no!

Yeah, that's what I figured when I looked at it. Lots of in-jokes, but the basic premise sounded fun enough. I watched a fair number of those Tabletop Gaming things and it looked OK on there, but wasn't sure how good it was away from HEY D&D, which my group aren't into.

Ticket to Ride will be premiering, as we're borrowing it from a friend of mine, and I think it should be a good replacement. I think it has the right balance of strategy but then not too hard for new people.

I appreciate the other suggestions, but at such short notice and the lack of these kinda things in the UK, Citadels is the only one I could maybe get, and even then IU'm not sure, but I'll look into it, and keep your suggestions in mind for next year, or my birthday in January.

Thanks again!
Citadels seems pretty common in my experience and is worth it with any # of players.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

PaybackJack posted:

I also have a pet peeve about games that present space, or even aircraft, on a 2D plane. I understand that 3rd dimension is really hard to figure out but at least give me more than just "you can fly through other stuff". I mean even with something simple like Wings of War or the Star Wars Minis game I feel a *bit* of it.

To be fair, it's really hard to make 3d combat in space interesting enough to be worth any extra fiddliness or bookkeeping. Altitude is energy in air combat, and that's interesting in and of itself. In space, the extra axis pretty much just translates to more distance, unless you want to go crazy with 3d firing arcs or something. There's very little meaningful difference between an object being 50km left or 50km up, and something that's both 50km up and to the left is effectively just farther away.

FelchTragedy
Jul 2, 2002

FelchTragedy.
Internet, I call forth your power!
Let's T_Roll.
My current fixation is being a carcassonne semi-completist. I bought the new Z-man big box ( I think it is less value than the Big box 3 by one major expansion) anyway I have been collecting the other expansions. But I'm considerng getting / not getting some of them. Not getting the obvious crap one like the catapult. Anyone have any criticism against any of the expansions gameplay wise?

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

What's wrong with Horus Heresy?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Baron Porkface posted:

It's $100 for a game that cost me $15 20 years ago. It also has an issue where the entire game can be decided in the first move.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Baron Porkface posted:

It's overly complicated, the rulebook is a mess, the main mechanism doesn't work very well, and it takes far too long to play.

It's basically a 20 year old Games Workshop wargame, made even more complicated by Fantasy Flight games. It's an Ameritrash mess.

modig
Aug 20, 2002

FelchTragedy posted:

My current fixation is being a carcassonne semi-completist. I bought the new Z-man big box ( I think it is less value than the Big box 3 by one major expansion) anyway I have been collecting the other expansions. But I'm considerng getting / not getting some of them. Not getting the obvious crap one like the catapult. Anyone have any criticism against any of the expansions gameplay wise?

I wrote this a while ago, it covers the 5 or so expansions I have: http://frontrangegamers.blogspot.com/2011/09/carcassonne-expansions.html

Also Fat Turkey, add another vote for Citadels.

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

The final spice...your tears <3

Baron Porkface posted:

Crackbone nailed the main problems. It's also amazing to see how a game can gently caress up card driven play so perfectly, especially with combat. All of the randomness of a die roll, none of the simplicity.

GottaPayDaTrollToll
Dec 3, 2009

by Lowtax
EDIT: n/m, not going there

GottaPayDaTrollToll fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Dec 24, 2012

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

Countblanc posted:

Catacombs has been a huge hit among my friends and family too since the mechanics are basically "flick a thing at a thing" and odds are if you've taken more than 3 minutes to explain the rules you've already done too much. Check out the Shut Up & Sit Down episode about it, it's only 7 minutes and sold me instantly.

Yeah I've really enjoyed the few games I've played of it, unfortunately no one believes me whenever I claim a miss was a practice flick. The anguished cry of "FUUUUUUUUCK!" probably doesn't do much to help my claim.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

I'd like to pick up a game for my roommate's mom and his three baby sisters, ages 6, 6, and 9. The little ones read decently but not at a heavy level. The older one is super smart.

Preferably I'd like something that the girls could play with me, my roommate, his mom, or all of us! Probably not something that they'd play on their own. Any suggestions?

Teh Madd Hatter
May 26, 2008

Quidnose posted:

I'd like to pick up a game for my roommate's mom and his three baby sisters, ages 6, 6, and 9. The little ones read decently but not at a heavy level. The older one is super smart.

Preferably I'd like something that the girls could play with me, my roommate, his mom, or all of us! Probably not something that they'd play on their own. Any suggestions?

Dixit? Plays six, doesn't need reading, gets them creativity juices flowing, and has bunny meeples. But seriously, Dixit is a pretty fun alternative to things like Apples to Apples.

Teh Madd Hatter fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Dec 24, 2012

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Quidnose posted:

Carcassone is always a hit for the younger crowd, putting together the countryside and all.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I have some friends coming over for two days, and we were thinking of buying something together. What's something that's great with three OR four players? Sometimes we have a fourth, sometimes we don't, and I don't want to be left thinking "well, that would be good, but it would have been better if we had someone else here" or vice versa.

I own Dominion, but I was thinking I might add to my currently very small game collection.

FTJ
Mar 1, 2003

BTB's Monty Python pro-star!
Galaxy Trucker is good with both 3 & 4 and has two expansions if you want more.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

bewilderment posted:

I have some friends coming over for two days, and we were thinking of buying something together. What's something that's great with three OR four players? Sometimes we have a fourth, sometimes we don't, and I don't want to be left thinking "well, that would be good, but it would have been better if we had someone else here" or vice versa.

I own Dominion, but I was thinking I might add to my currently very small game collection.

Carcassonne, Ticket to Ride and Stone Age are all good with 3-4 players, and low threshold.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

OperaMouse posted:

Carcassonne, Ticket to Ride and Stone Age are all good with 3-4 players, and low threshold.

Those are all great. Ticket To Ride in particular.

We bought Lords Of Waterdeep and Libertalia also recently, because we play with 3-4 a lot and they suit that number very well.

Admin Understudy
Apr 17, 2002

Captain Pope-tastic
Anyone here played the Le Havre 2 player game yet?

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

We do some boardgaming as a family. Mostly what goes over well are party games like Apples to Apples, Say Anything, and Telestrations.

We get a lot of mileage out of Race for the Galaxy. I think that the rules are simple enough that people still can play the game. 7 Wonders seemed pretty complex, especially since half the table didn't play Magic.

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Has anyone played Zombicide? The owner of my local board game store was trying to sell me on it today and I was going to get it until he mentioned it was 60 quid.
I'm considering buying it after Christmas, any goon testimonies?

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Awia posted:

Has anyone played Zombicide? The owner of my local board game store was trying to sell me on it today and I was going to get it until he mentioned it was 60 quid.

The minis are nice, but the game itself is mediocre at best.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Awia posted:

I have it and like it, with a couple small house rules. It's not worth that price though. If it goes on sale I think it's definitely worth having if you don't hate the zombie theme.

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Fair enough, I'll pick it up if I can find it on sale, it looked like it could be fun.
What's you guys problems with it?

FelchTragedy
Jul 2, 2002

FelchTragedy.
Let's T_Roll.

Admin Understudy posted:

Anyone here played the Le Havre 2 player game yet?

Yeah I've got it. I bought it on the strength of liking All creatures big and small, but being fustrated at agricola, have been fustrated at le havre so maybe this new one will please me too.

I have only played one game so it's too early to judge. It uses the two ora and labora dials, one for each player. Your 2 actions are you buy buildings and they go on the dial. You use the building or your opponents buildings, and the further away from the dial point the more you use it. The building is then moved back to near the dial pointer. You can sell your buildings at any time, or are forced to sell if you don't use them after 6 dial turns.

The dials turn every round of you and your opponent doing their several, alternating actions. The number of actions starts at 3, then climbs to 5 7 and 9 spread over 12 round/dial turns. This bit makes me forget, whose turn it is often so I am making some cardboard 'tally coin' number tokens to help out.

You keep track of your 4 non-money resources by moving a cube in 2d directions in a warehouse grid.

It has the race for the final scoring things that le havre has, which is not as present in ACBAS.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

nimby posted:

Munchkin is very suitable as an example of how bad game mechanics will ruin a game.

Here's something I'm curious about : how would you make a good game out of the artifacts of Munchkin?

I have large piles of cards from when I was younger and less discriminating, and it'd be nice if I could turn them into something more fun.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I think it's more that the concept of "ha ha let's make a game that pokes fun at D&D players for twinking their characters, and put in lots of jokes about D&D cause it'll be fun for nerds" is not *completely* out of line as a niche game. But the game itself is terrible, and people try to play it with others that won't get the jokes.

Basically, if there was a game with good mechanics and that theme, the theme would not completely ruin it.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Glazius posted:

Here's something I'm curious about : how would you make a good game out of the artifacts of Munchkin?

I have large piles of cards from when I was younger and less discriminating, and it'd be nice if I could turn them into something more fun.

DrunkQuest.

modig
Aug 20, 2002

bewilderment posted:

I haven't played it, but I think Hey thats my fish would be a good option.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Glazius posted:

Look up Cutthroat Caverns.

Imagine a handful of good game designers were given the quest "Make Munchkin fun by using interesting, balanced mechanics, get rid of the terrible not-funny art and replace it with great art, and make sure that poo poo-heel Jackson gets none of the profits".

That's Cuthroat Caverns. You could likely knock up something similar with Munchkin cards.

That said, Munchkin is actually a great first game for kids, say 7-10 age range. Simple enough, but with the neighbor screwing factor that will pique their interest. Along with SmallWorld, they are my get kids into proper board gaming games. Week games really, but fantastic for kids with a theme that catches their interest, In SW's case amazing fantasy art, and plenty of conflict.

Funso Banjo fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Dec 24, 2012

FelchTragedy
Jul 2, 2002

FelchTragedy.
Let's T_Roll.

modig posted:

I wrote this a while ago, it covers the 5 or so expansions I have: http://frontrangegamers.blogspot.com/2011/09/carcassonne-expansions.html

Also Fat Turkey, add another vote for Citadels.

Thanks, I have those already. I have also Dragon and Princess, Abbey and Mayor, Cult, king and count with river II, Bridges, Castles and Bazars and the 6 minis with corn circles II.

I'm Considering The Tower, The Plague, Little Buildings, The Phantom, The Siege, The Festival, the Wheel of forune. The latter ones I will try and get the stuff without the base game tiles again.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

TenjouUtena posted:

We do some boardgaming as a family. Mostly what goes over well are party games like Apples to Apples, Say Anything, and Telestrations.

We get a lot of mileage out of Race for the Galaxy. I think that the rules are simple enough that people still can play the game. 7 Wonders seemed pretty complex, especially since half the table didn't play Magic.

If your family understood the pictographs in Race, they should be able to pick up 7 Wonders. Pretty much the only Magic analogue is the card drafting mechanic, which isn't exclusive to that game. Dixit is a more creative artsy Apples to Apples, and if you've got the right size (4-6) group, Aye! Dark Overlord! might work as a not-too-serious improv bullshitting game wherein the players are all goblin minions using story hook idea cards (people, places, things, etc) to tell the tale of how their evil master's plan went wrong and, more importantly, why it wasn't their fault.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

silvergoose posted:

I think it's more that the concept of "ha ha let's make a game that pokes fun at D&D players for twinking their characters, and put in lots of jokes about D&D cause it'll be fun for nerds" is not *completely* out of line as a niche game. But the game itself is terrible, and people try to play it with others that won't get the jokes.

Basically, if there was a game with good mechanics and that theme, the theme would not completely ruin it.

Reference A Thing = Funny Joke, don'cha know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Countblanc posted:

Reference A Thing = Funny Joke, don'cha know.

Most of the jokes in Munchkin aren't straight references, though. They're either hyperbole jokes like Boil An Anthill or really terrible puns.

They aren't funny but they aren't just "hey guys, remember the flumph?"

• Locked thread