Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

:smug: Editor of Time Magazine

Joementum fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Dec 23, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
RIP Newsweek. Nobody really gave a poo poo about you so I guess you died. Whatever.

Fluoride Jones
Aug 24, 2009

toot toot
In case anyone wants to lament the death of Newsweek, here's a recent cover story they put out. Let's just hope TIME won't be too far behind.

budgieinspector
Mar 24, 2006

According to my research,
these would appear to be
Budgerigars.

Lake of Methane posted:

Santa Claus got arrested at the Texas state capitol for chalk-drawing on the driveway.

http://www.austinchronicle.com/occupy-austin/2012-12-21/1/

Fluoride Jones posted:

Of course it happens in Texas.

Happened in L.A., this summer -- why not Texas?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xLzO3ayg50

The girl in yellow at the beginning of the video is a friend of mine. A cop hit her with a baton later in the evening.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fluoride Jones
Aug 24, 2009

toot toot

budgieinspector posted:

Happened in L.A., this summer -- why not Texas?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xLzO3ayg50

The girl in yellow at the beginning of the video is a friend of mine. A cop hit her with a baton later in the evening.

Wow, I knew the LAPD were fuckheads, but I didn't think they'd beat people for drawing with chalk. Can't say that I'm too surprised though. I hope your friend ended up OK.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

Never thought a PA strip would fit in here. Well, except the dickwolves one.

While I'm here, what is everyone's obsession with Slavoj Zizek? And are you pro-nuclear people not concerned about the nuclear waste?

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:
This gave me a giggle

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Exclamation Marx posted:

Former Labour MP Sir Oswald Mosley

Digging through more fascist nostalgia crap on the internet, I came across this revisionist book about the German-American Bund on a website devoted to German military knick-knacks. (One of those websites that goes "We're not Nazis!" but then sells stuff like this.)

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Dec 23, 2012

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

VagueRant posted:

While I'm here, what is everyone's obsession with Slavoj Zizek? And are you pro-nuclear people not concerned about the nuclear waste?

He's a goony guy who occasionally says pretty smart things.

Why is nuclear waste worse than climate change, oil spills, strip mining, fracking, mine fires, and so on? Or maybe a certain global billion dollar industry can afford to downplay external costs while a newer technology has a bad reputation and threatens the established energy economy?

Not to mention current reactor designs are not the only method of converting fission energy to electricity, and these other methods could have more efficient fuel cycles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uS01DaQUu3g&t=2604s

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

VagueRant posted:

Nuclear waste is extremely safe compared to the smog from burning fossil fuels. Because nuclear waste is solid, it can be easily contained, and nuclear power is the safest way to generate electricity.

In 1975, the Banqiao Dam collapsed and flooded Henan, killing 171,000 people.

In 1952, a mass of smog descended upon London and killed 12,000 people.

In 1986, the Chernobyl Plant had a critical meltdown, killing 4,000 people.

Accidents during solar panel installation kill 50 people every year.

SSJ2 Goku Wilders
Mar 24, 2010

Is that what I think it is? So that's where prospector went for that time

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

VagueRant posted:

And are you pro-nuclear people not concerned about the nuclear waste?
I'm pro-nuclear and concerned about waste in general. Nuclear waste is preferable to coal waste largely for reasons of volume and containment.

I'm lazy so here are a few images:

Coal slurry drat broke:

Comparison images:

These compare the amounts of material needed for equivalent energy output:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Someone posted this to my wall.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Cory Booker listens to Peggy Noonan argue that video games are responsible for gun violence.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

I lie awake, staring out at the bleakness of Megadon.

SSJ2 Goku Wilders posted:

We never did get EB64 :argh:

Totally agreeing with the sentiments re: nuclear waste. It's dangerous, sure. But, compared to the cost of lives and health from mining and burning fossil fuels, nuclear is definitely the best option.

Plus Cherenkov radiation is pretty.

Then again, I'd go anti-nuclear for this fine lady.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Chamale posted:

In 1986, the Chernobyl Plant had a critical meltdown, killing 4,000 people.

Actually it was more around 55-65, according to the UN.

Fluoride Jones
Aug 24, 2009

toot toot

SSJ2 Goku Wilders posted:

420 beat cops everyday.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Again about the protest against the Notre Dame des Landes airport in Nantes, a local brewery made a special "Aeroport Nann" beer, and the profits from it are going to help the protestors. "Nann" means "no" in Breton.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Rand alPaul posted:

Actually it was more around 55-65, according to the UN.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_SMeOULGjU

Canadian Natives are pissed off at the Harper government (as they should be), and today a large group held a flash mob in downtown Calgary in Eaton's Center, performing one hell of a round dance.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqBbTsqsqUg

I just saw this ad on TV that is pretty bizarre and strangely hosed up but also encapsulates what New York metro area journalism is all about in 30 seconds

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

(original)

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUdQwt79hVI

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I believe these are both images of the Al-Madina Souq in Aleppo, Syria. It's a world heritage site. First is prior to the civil war, and the second is during a massive fire in late September that all but wrecked the place.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
This Christmas let's remember the one who was born in a humble shelter under a shining star and faced adversity to teach the world that another way of living was possible.

I'm referring of course to the great comrade Kim Jong Il!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69KY067_hpE

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRemkHjG7As

Too bad this year is the last time Obama gets to do this to Republicans :allears:

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Alhazred posted:

Pictures from the christmas truce where Germans and British decided to celebrate christmas together during WWI:

My buddy and I drink whisky and sing along to Christmas In The Trenches every holiday season:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0LgjBauf70

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

Volkerball posted:

I believe these are both images of the Al-Madina Souq in Aleppo, Syria. It's a world heritage site. First is prior to the civil war, and the second is during a massive fire in late September that all but wrecked the place.

That looks straight up like a dungeon out of Diablo. Hmm, maybe they should make a Diablo movie.

"The letter came in a box of Halloween decorations purchased at Kmart, but for a near Julie Kieth never knew. It gathered dust in her storage, a haunting plea for help hidden among artificial skeletons! Tombstones, and spiderwebs."

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

twoday posted:

That looks straight up like a dungeon out of Diablo. Hmm, maybe they should make a Diablo movie.

"The letter came in a box of Halloween decorations purchased at Kmart, but for a near Julie Kieth never knew. It gathered dust in her storage, a haunting plea for help hidden among artificial skeletons! Tombstones, and spiderwebs."

Why I buy American if I can help it.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

CommieGIR posted:

Someone posted this to my wall.

"Looked him/me/her/it straight in the eye" is code for poo poo That Didn't Happen.

Also the correct response from the parents is to look her straight in the eye and offer to drive her down so she could make that job offer to the homeless man herself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XApkZoPM25w

Who knew the living embodiment of giving, sharing, and love for your fellow man would have so much hate in him?

Duke Igthorn fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Dec 25, 2012

CrapFish
May 11, 2004

Never stop posting

twoday posted:

Yeah, I'd probably contact the State Dept. and let them know about that.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

FIRE CURES BIGOTS
Aug 26, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOP2V_np2c0

RSA Animate on the Crises of Capitalism

CrapFish posted:

Yeah, I'd probably contact the State Dept. and let them know about that.

The state department would probably snitch to China and let them know one of their factories is getting uppity.

elementary
Dec 4, 2004

I don’t think they like it when you talk to them. Come back to the roof. You'll be safe.

Strong Female
Jul 27, 2010

I don't think you've been paying attention
Goons like Zizek because he's goony as hell and also because Lacan is hard as poo poo to understand:

That seriously looks like a pacifier to me.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Oh hey, it's why I don't have health insurance.

Beili Liu - The Mending Project (2011) posted:

“…Hundreds of Chinese scissors suspended from the ceiling in a shimmery cloud. The piece involved the artist sitting at a small black table, hand-mending patches of fabric together which visitors were encouraged to cut themselves near the entrance. As the performance continued, the piece grew as one continuous cloth and lay spread on the floor.

The hovering mass of the downward-pointed scissors represent the distant fear and looming violence present in today’s cultural climate. The sharp blades above the artist are put in contrast by the silent and simple act of mending. The dichotomous result of the instant fear superimposed with the calming effect of the sewing created a surreal atmosphere in the room.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Humboldt squid posted:

Oh hey, it's why I don't have health insurance.

UHC costs less. The reason you don't have health insurance is becuase:

• Locked thread