Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay

terrorist ambulance posted:

There's a beautiful response in that thread about it being a cover for law schools having no mission other than bilking idiots out of their money, and some 1L is like "uh actually law school teaches you how to think in ways that are useful for a lawyer"

bl1y is a p good dude. He's research director at lawschooltransparency and i followed his blog before that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

In the grim dark future...

I wish I hadn't found this as funny as I did.

tau
Mar 20, 2003

Sigillum Universitatis Kansiensis
Well, the fantasy football season winds down with a thrilling championship match between me and SV.

Anyone have ideas/comments/suggestions for next year's LFFL? Anyone up for keeper league? Money league? Other than putting Evilweasel in his place, I wasn't very active as a commish (because I was too busy winning and making the championship game.) But I'd like to hear what the other league participants thought and what ideas would be good for next year.

Don't be shy.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

terrorist ambulance posted:

I ended up registering on reddit to answer to that thread, if it's all an abstract and high level troll I'm owned pretty badly

edit:

lmao

Well as long as you read The Bramble Bush the part you bolded should be correct. Although he is wrong to say you can't change the facts. The facts, as matters of concern, are only ever changing.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Petey posted:

Well as long as you read The Bramble Bush the part you bolded should be correct. Although he is wrong to say you can't change the facts. The facts, as matters of concern, are only ever changing.

I don't know what this post means

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

US lawyers only?

Yes, though bar passage not required. Grads only at this point. I'd help you get set up w apt/car.

40k goes decently here. Cost of living is like a midsized city.

Also your boss would be awesome.

tau
Mar 20, 2003

Sigillum Universitatis Kansiensis

Abugadu posted:

Yes, though bar passage not required. Grads only at this point. I'd help you get set up w apt/car.

Someone in this thread needs to do this.

UnpaidIntern
Nov 10, 2012

Abugadu posted:

What are the "exit options" like? Have your previous grads gotten anything good after clerking or are you looking for people that want to live in exile?

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

UnpaidIntern posted:

What are the "exit options" like? Have your previous grads gotten anything good after clerking or are you looking for people that want to live in exile?

Of the people that come out, about half go back to the states after a year, and half stick around awhile, working at the local AG's or going to a local firm if they take the bar. It is tougher to do job interviews when you're out here for stateside jobs due to the time difference and the whole 'not being there' aspect. Of the last three that went back, one is working for his dad's firm, one is Biglaw and one is unemployed. Of course there are details about those that mitigate, but I'm working with a small sample size.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

tau posted:

Someone in this thread needs to do this.

If i hadn't started a new job 2 months ago I"d be all over it. I asked on behalf of a good friend of mine but haven't heard back yet :ohdear:

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

tau posted:

Anyone have ideas/comments/suggestions for next year's LFFL? Anyone up for keeper league? Money league?

Money league. I would have been more active with that on the line. You're a good guy and I trust you with the check so I nominate you to be commish again.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

Abugadu posted:

Any chance it will be opened up to current 3Ls?

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

mastershakeman posted:

If i hadn't started a new job 2 months ago I"d be all over it. I asked on behalf of a good friend of mine but haven't heard back yet :ohdear:

Check pm's

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

No 3L's at this time because it will need to be filled by the end of Feb.

Glowing Red Sign
Oct 26, 2008

Abugadu posted:

Of the people that come out, about half go back to the states after a year, and half stick around awhile, working at the local AG's or going to a local firm if they take the bar. It is tougher to do job interviews when you're out here for stateside jobs due to the time difference and the whole 'not being there' aspect. Of the last three that went back, one is working for his dad's firm, one is Biglaw and one is unemployed. Of course there are details about those that mitigate, but I'm working with a small sample size.

How hard have the people who came out found it to adjust to the locale? Clerking sounds great, the pay sounds fine at that cost of living, but the location gives me pause.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

That's kind of why I stress 'outdoor' kids, as it's the big city people that are the only ones to have trouble adjusting; few nightclubs, friendly and talkative co-workers or strangers. I mean, we have 90% of what you can get in the states, and most of the rest you can get on-line. Same restaurants, stores, etc. But you are a 3 hr flight away from any major city (Manila or Tokyo). It also takes some letting go of every-day contact with family/friends, except through email or facebook, unless you want to be Skyping from 5pm-12pm like our current roommate, which cuts into your social life a bit.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Stop being xenophobic and accept people outside the US

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Abugadu posted:

That's kind of why I stress 'outdoor' kids, as it's the big city people that are the only ones to have trouble adjusting; few nightclubs, friendly and talkative co-workers or strangers. I mean, we have 90% of what you can get in the states, and most of the rest you can get on-line. Same restaurants, stores, etc. But you are a 3 hr flight away from any major city (Manila or Tokyo). It also takes some letting go of every-day contact with family/friends, except through email or facebook, unless you want to be Skyping from 5pm-12pm like our current roommate, which cuts into your social life a bit.

How are the girls

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

sigmachiev posted:

How are the girls

A little tougher odds, as you're competing against both locals and military, who have better housing than you, but there's a decent amount of available girls in the marine lab at the university or teaching at the high schools. Some lady lawyers also, though dating a lawyer can be a chore sometimes.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy

Abugadu posted:

a 3 hr flight away from...Tokyo

Uguu~ :allears:

Secret Asian Man
Jun 17, 2006

great here come the bandwagon riding mother fuckers asking about guam now that its the hip new thing. abugadu, dont forget who was sending you resumes before it was cool

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

So who billed hours today?

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Secret Asian Man posted:

great here come the bandwagon riding mother fuckers asking about guam now that its the hip new thing. abugadu, dont forget who was sending you resumes before it was cool

So far you are in first place, out of one.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Mons Hubris posted:

hi

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep
God, Biglaw sounds even worse than I thought, if all these people are billing hours on Christmas. Apparently it's full of Jews!

Though not really, my small labor firm dad is Jewish and I don't think he ever comes in on Christmas.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Mons Hubris posted:

First day with no billables since Thanksgiving!

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Sent you a PM Abu... my wife may be interested and I would totally move to Guam.(I think thats what we are talking about)

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Mons Hubris posted:

Didn't yesterday but looking at long days on New Years Eve and New Years.

Schitzo
Mar 20, 2006

I can't hear it when you talk about John Druce

Mons Hubris posted:

Debated whether (non-urgent) work was a plausible reason to duck out from the in-laws, but frankly I'm too scared of the wife to play that card.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
http://m.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2012/04/the-wrong-people-have-stopped-applying-to-law-school/255685/

The Atlantic posted:

Among the many unfortunate developments in higher education over the past decade, one of the most talked about has been the law school bubble. In the heat of the recession, a record number of students decided that it would be a good idea to dive six-figures into debt for a shot at a legal career. Many were lured with utterly misleading job placement stats, as well as a stubborn misperception that law was still a safe career choice, that a J.D. even guaranteed a living wage. Once they graduated, many realized otherwise.

Last month, the Law School Admissions Council (a.k.a., LSAC) published data indicating that the bubble finally seemed to have popped -- a merciful development, as I put it at the time. The number of LSAT tests administered has plummeted over the past two years, and fewer students are accepting admission. This is a happy turn of events. The fewer grads being funneled into an super-saturated industry, the better. (Full disclosure: I used to work for a law firm.)

Yesterday, LSAC released a new bit of evidence* that law school has finally lost its luster. Applicants are down more than 15 percent for the year. But there's one problem: The wrong students have stopped applying.

Take a look at the chart below, which shows the number of applications from prospective students in each LSAT range for 2012. Here's the take away: The number of students applying who probably have no business going to law school has dropped the least. The number of students applying who probably should be going to law school has dropped the most.

Here are a few rough rules of thumb on LSAT scores. To get into a top 50 law school, you need roughly a 160, give or take a few points. To break into one of the vaunted Top 14 programs -- yes, this really is all based on U.S. News Rankings...welcome to the industry -- you realistically need something closer to at least a 165. Once you start looking at the super elites, you're talking 170 and above.

And yet, the smallest drop in applications has been among test takers who scored below a 144, the ones least likely to get into a reputable program. Now, some of these students probably need to go to law school for the good of society. I mean that sincerely. A lot of them likely come from less affluent backgrounds, and will likely be willing to work for small firms and government offices that provide services for people who cannot afford to hire Williams & Connolly every time they need legal help. These are your small town lawyers, your inner city lawyers. But just because a few of these potential students need to get a law degree doesn't mean all of them should. And many will likely be heading to J.D. mills that offer them a coin-flip's chance of getting a job after graduation.

Meanwhile, take a look at students in the 170-174 range, which is down by more than 20 percent. What does that tell us? It says that fewer people who are smart and hard working enough to even get that score are probably taking the LSAT, and even if they are, they've heard enough terrible news about the legal economy that they've chosen not to apply. Now, a 170 on your LSAT does not guarantee you a future wearing pinstripes and wingtips. I know more than a few young graduates of elite law schools who have struggled to find work. But if you're good enough to hit the magic 70 mark, it means you stand a better chance than most of surviving in today's law market.

So the smart kids got the memo. Law school is largely a losing game, and they're not going to play, even though they can probably count on a better hand than most. Meanwhile, the number of laggards applying has barely budged.

Maybe that's just what makes the smart kids the smart kids.

:unsmigghh:

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

Ugh why couldn't the smart kids have gotten the memo right before I applied two years ago in that peak application/LSAT year? If they're so smart, why'd it take them so long?!

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

quote:

Now, some of these students probably need to go to law school for the good of society. I mean that sincerely. A lot of them likely come from less affluent backgrounds, and will likely be willing to work for small firms and government offices that provide services for people who cannot afford to hire Williams & Connolly every time they need legal help.
I wish they'd stop saying this. It gives TTT grads that "I don't need to make $160k, I'll be happy working for [government agency]" line that is just completely false.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.

nm posted:

I wish they'd stop saying this. It gives TTT grads that "I don't need to make $160k, I'll be happy working for [government agency]" line that is just completely false.

Probably should replace it with “going solo.”

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Womp WOmp.

Well, at least the across-the-board -% is something to smile at, I guess.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

I don't know, those numbers look pretty good to me. I don't really know how you'd get below a 145 on the LSAT, so those people are probably just too dumb to be reached.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
Is there even a law school that admits 139s? Surely even Cooley rejects most of those?

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Adar posted:

Is there even a law school that admits 139s? Surely even Cooley rejects most of those?

Cooley's website says they require a minimum of 143. But if you don't meet the minimums, they might still let you in.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Adar posted:

Their money is as good as everyone else's even if their brains aren't.

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!

nm posted:

Agreed, kinda. I get sick of the "well I can always work for the government" line, however it does seem like if you do really well at your TTT then the government is less likely to care about school preftige, at least from my anecdotal experience.

And Cooley needs to keep admitting dumb people so my single friends with bar cards and MSU degrees can keep getting laid in downtown Lansing on Friday night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay

J Miracle posted:

however it does seem like if you do really well at your TTT then the government is less likely to care about school preftige, at least from my anecdotal experience.

It's the "do really well" part that rules it out as a back-up plan, which so many 0L's view it as.

Law school: Turning the intellectual insecurity of Millenials into cold hard $$$.

Law school: A cure for narcissism that's 90% effective but costs $150,000 and takes 3 years to administer.

insanityv2 fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Dec 27, 2012