Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pokeytax
Jun 13, 2005

leidend posted:

I'm two episodes in and I'm not sure if I like it yet. Does it continue to stay so music focused? I'm more interested in the social aspects of the city.

And I respect the style of music but the show is almost like a musical so far and that ain't my bag.

It took me about two full seasons to really get into Treme. It's much weirder than The Wire and that's hard enough to get into already. Because of the constant musical interruptions, the pacing is unlike any other show on TV. I know that doesn't sound like much of a recommendation, but I have grown to really love it, and it is one of the best dramas on TV. Eventually, you begin to enjoy just relaxing for a few minutes while people play (well, or not, judging by its ratings).

It's not going to change much, though, and as mentioned, it's not at all The Wire: NoLA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!
One thing that has helped me really enjoy Treme is the Times-Picayune's episode guide that explains all the local references.

http://topics.nola.com/tag/treme-explained/index.html

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

I'm watching 24. Just started season 3. I just saw Kim. I really hope they pull her from this show after this.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
Binging through Scrubs again (shut up, Dr. Cox and Neil Flynn's Janitor are hilarious).

Question: if I liked Arrested Development, will I like Always Sunny in Philadelphia? It's on Netflix streaming now and I was thinking of watching it.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Skellen posted:

I'm watching 24. Just started season 3. I just saw Kim. I really hope they pull her from this show after this.
I can't remember if that's the season where Kim is substantially less poisonous to the plot, or if that's the fourth season.

It's been years since I watched 24, so there's a very real possibility that it could be the mountain lion season.

But season 3 is well worth watching for numerous other reasons which I can recall if you like 24, so stick it out.

Alter Ego posted:

Question: if I liked Arrested Development, will I like Always Sunny in Philadelphia? It's on Netflix streaming now and I was thinking of watching it.
I wouldn't exactly say they're different kinds of humor, since they both make good use of callbacks, but Always Sunny is more or less a Seinfeld-ish sitcom with characters who are markedly worse human beings, and all the hilarious benefits that come with that. Definitely check it out, since it couldn't hurt; it's one of my favorite sitcoms, along with Arrested Development.

Bobby The Rookie fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Dec 17, 2012

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

Alter Ego posted:

Binging through Scrubs again (shut up, Dr. Cox and Neil Flynn's Janitor are hilarious).

What's up, Scrubs buddy! :hfive:

There is probably no show I've watched more often than Scrubs. Seen every ep at least five times.

Rewatching the Shield at the moment. Cherrypoppers is next, and I am not looking forward to watching that one at all...

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Bobby The Rookie posted:

I wouldn't exactly say they're different kinds of humor, since they both make good use of callbacks, but Always Sunny is more or less a Seinfeld-ish sitcom with characters who are markedly worse human beings, and all the hilarious benefits that come with that. Definitely check it out, since it couldn't hurt; it's one of my favorite sitcoms, along with Arrested Development.

I'd say it's more like Friends if they were all horrible sociopaths. I love it.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

Skellen posted:

Note: The show takes a HUGE DIP in quality in Season 6. I'd advise to only watch the first 5 episodes and the last 5- if that. Maybe even less. But you have a while to get there. It restore it self in Seasons 7/8.

quote:

Both shows are great for their own reasons, although it took a while for me to "get" Sunny in the sense that these are all terrible people who think of themselves as charming sitcom characters. Don't judge it until Season 2 if you're on the fence about/disliking it.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Bobby The Rookie posted:

Do you like Seinfeld? Would you like a Seinfeld where the characters are far, far worse?

The answer is that of course you would.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
My wife and I just finished Game of Thrones Season 1, after my PARENTS raved about the show and loaned us their DVDs. We both loved it, and once again, she was pleasantly surprised because she hates fantasy -- never seen or read Lord of the Rings or anything like that. Now we can't wait to catch up with the Season 2 DVDs.

We're also halfway through Season 1 of Homeland, which strikes me as a cross between 24 and The Manchurian Candidate. We both like that so far, too.

Camping.. Intense!
May 18, 2005

Absolutely
Grimey Drawer
Okay so on the recommendation of nearly everyone i started watching The Wire, season one was okay although it took a while to "get" Then i managed to slog through season two without being really invested in it. Now i am struggling to have any interest in season 3, i dont really understand all the hype for it, although i am not a fan of cop shows usually, should i go on??

I also just finished binging through the whole series of Seinfeld, and the last two seasons were the highlight for me (which i think didnt have Larry David on board?) Anyway after that i tried watching Curb Your Enthusiasm and i dont think i have found it at all funny even about 10 episodes in, does it get better?

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

Camping.. Intense! posted:

Okay so on the recommendation of nearly everyone i started watching The Wire, season one was okay although it took a while to "get" Then i managed to slog through season two without being really invested in it. Now i am struggling to have any interest in season 3, i dont really understand all the hype for it, although i am not a fan of cop shows usually, should i go on??

I also just finished binging through the whole series of Seinfeld, and the last two seasons were the highlight for me (which i think didnt have Larry David on board?) Anyway after that i tried watching Curb Your Enthusiasm and i dont think i have found it at all funny even about 10 episodes in, does it get better?

The Wire is one of the best shows, but it's incredibly difficult to get into. While other people are better at explaining some intricacies, understand that's intended to be an ANTI cop show. This is not a cop show about good guys catching/shooting bad guys. It's how the system/government etc really work and how everything is connected and gets affected.

As for Seinfeld, opinions vary, but the last two seasons did NOT have Larry David writing(except for the finale). Curb does get better although it may not still be your cup of tea. If you're not feeling it just watch season 7- as a Seinfeld fan, you have to.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

If he's already through 2 seasons of The Wire and isn't hooked it's probably just not for him.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

Mu Zeta posted:

If he's already through 2 seasons of The Wire and isn't hooked it's probably just not for him.

You have to be in the right mindset to watch it. It's not an episode of Law and Order and you can do dishes and laundry while watching and have a general idea of what's going on.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I agree. But I would recommend he just shelves The Wire for now and come back at a later date. There are a lot of payoffs in the show and it won't work if he slogged through the early seasons. Better to just start over from the start again and pay more attention. Just continuing on to season 3 won't help.

Rapsey
Sep 29, 2005
The Wire is awesome if you give a poo poo about what it's trying to tell you. If you don't give a poo poo, it's going to be boring. It's not everyones cup of tea.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

To be fair, even most fans of The Wire admit that the second season can be a bit of a slog the first time through. Season 3 has Hamsterdam, where the the police try accepting hell on Earth, as long it's kept to a one block radius.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Dec 19, 2012

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

thrakkorzog posted:

Too be fair, even most fans of The Wire admit that the second season can be a bit of a slog the first time through. Season 3 has Hamsterdam, where the the police try accepting hell on Earth, as long it's kept to a one block radius.
Season 2 is actually where I really started becoming interested in the show, after working through and not being too invested in the first season until maybe the last few episodes.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I couldn't get into The Wire until the second time I went through the first season. At first I just thought it was okay, but really dry and way too focused on red tape and chain of command. Like, I get it, the system is hosed.

The second time everything clicked and I started noticing all the intricacies. It's a brilliantly constructed show and you should at least be able to appreciate it on that level.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Bobby The Rookie posted:

Season 2 is actually where I really started becoming interested in the show, after working through and not being too invested in the first season until maybe the last few episodes.
The second season is actually my favorite (yes even more than the brilliant fourth season). People are put off at first by the lack of the drug dealer cast but the story it tells is still just as poignant and wonderfully written.

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

Wicked pissa little critta
My boyfriend suggested we watch Supernatural about two months ago and now we're almost done with season 7. It's formatted a bit like The X-Files, not quite as smart and bundled with a bigger dose of soap opera. Good balance of escapism, monsters of the week, hunks and Kansas's greatest hits. It's way too easy to get attached to the characters, plus I'm continually blown away by how gory it is for a CW show.

I'm also watching Peep Show, it's always great but I feel like it peaked a bit during Mark & Soph's engagement and wedding; that was probably the most uncomfortable season of any show ever.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Rapsey posted:

The Wire is awesome if you give a poo poo about what it's trying to tell you. If you don't give a poo poo, it's going to be boring. It's not everyones cup of tea.

I thought it wasn't my turn to give a poo poo :confused:

Toxicirishmn
Aug 21, 2012

Only the dead have seen the end of war...
I've just caught up on all the seasons of Covert Affairs, loving it...need a new series now suggestions?

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

Toxicirishmn posted:

I've just caught up on all the seasons of Covert Affairs, loving it...need a new series now suggestions?

richardfun posted:

I'd just like to point out Person of Interest to everyone in here. It's by JJ Abrams Jonathan Nolan (brother of the Batman director). It starts out perfectly average, but halfway through the first season, it really takes off.

It's a procedural, but with several longer running stories that are worked into the plot of the week perfectly, and the weekly storylines are almost always excellent on their own. The villains are menacing in their own ways, and the two main actors are great.

Also, never before has there been a show where a dog was such a great addition to the cast.

In short: go watch Person of Interest.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Went through all of Homeland, Veep, and Boardwalk Empire in the past few weeks. Now I don't know what to watch.. maybe I'll finally check out Supernatural.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Mu Zeta posted:

Went through all of Homeland, Veep, and Boardwalk Empire in the past few weeks. Now I don't know what to watch.. maybe I'll finally check out Supernatural.
If you liked Veep, check out the British original version of the show, The Thick of It. It's brilliant. It also has a movie, In The Loop.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
The wife and I started Treme, and the heavy focus on music is what's selling it to me. All the music is fantastic.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I haven't watched TV in a while... just powered through all 10 episodes of The Newsroom.

Please don't ask me why or how.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
After I see the new season of Breaking Bad, I intend to go through all of the X-Files, wish me luck.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

I got a bunch of shows that need binging but I can't decide which. Mostly because I don't know what I'm in the mood for 90% of the time.

Boardwalk Empire
Carnivale
Louie season 3
Breaking Bad season 5 (probably the obvious choice, it's only 10 eps or w/e)
I'd like to rewatch Community now that I've listened to every episode of Harmonton podcast (LISTEN TO THIS IMMEDIATELY)
Dollhouse season 2
Game of Thrones season 2
Justified season 2+ but I might have problems with the oxy focus
Kings (yea, Kings!)
Lost Girl s2+ (Kenzi :swoon:)
most of Louie season 3 (another probable obvious choice)
Misfits season 2+
Moral Orel season 3 (watched the first two episodes of it holy poo poo :stare:)
Star Trek TNG HD (HD probably doesn't make it suck any less, but come on... HD)
Supernatural season 7+ (bleh)
The Hour
The Inbetweeners
The Maxx
The Wire rewatch (I'm on s3)
Twin Peaks rewatch/finishing s2
Veep s2
Warehouse 13 (this is only on her becuase of Alison Scagliotti [Mindy Crenshaw :swoon:])

So, yeah. I'll prob just keep watching lectures on cosmology and ancient history. But you never know!

MAJOR STRYkER
Jan 2, 2008

FIFTY THOUSAND PEOPLE USED TO LIVE HERE...

Coffee And Pie posted:

After I see the new season of Breaking Bad, I intend to go through all of the X-Files, wish me luck.

That was the first series I went through on Netflix, it is awesome, you will not be disappointed. I think it took me a couple months of watching 1-4 episodes every night though.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
If you've already seen Dollhouse Season 1, you HAVE to see Season 2. There's not a bad episode in the bunch, and they only ramp the tension and insanity higher and higher as they approach the end.

You also need to finish Twin Peaks. There is a stretch of boring-to-outright bad episodes between the reveal of Laura Palmer's killer and the finale, all from when David Lynch left the show to direct Wild at Heart, but the finale (which Lynch returned for) has to be seen, if you're any kind of fan. Again, INSANITY.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Conduit for Sale! posted:

So, yeah. I'll prob just keep watching lectures on... ancient history. But you never know!

Where can I see these?

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Mu Zeta posted:

Where can I see these?
http://www.youtube.com/course?list=EC023BCE5134243987

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Bookmarked the gently caress out of that. Thanks

Always wanted to study ancient history but those courses were always full. Much easier to graduate with US classes :(

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

Where can I see these?

http://www.thegreatcourses.com/

They cost money though, or... you know.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Got through season 1 of Treme in about two weeks. Definitely not a show I would normally give a chance, was hoping for more The Wire: NOLA, but it got its hooks into me in the last couple episodes.

I still have trouble caring about a few characters and get a bit bored during some long musical numbers but will definitely watch season 2.

I was one of those assholes who thought "just have everyone move to Baton Rouge/Houston" after Katrina and I feel really dumb about that now. I still can't honestly say I'm a fan of the music but I respect it and the culture a lot more now. If I'm ever on that side of the continent I'll be sure to make time for NO.

It's sad to think that a large portion of my home town is under sea level and will be annihilated in the next big earthquake but we'll lose nothing of cultural value besides a cool Buddhist temple.

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
I get it.

I finally get the rage over the cancellation of Firefly. I had seen a 1/2 episode here and a 1/2 episode there, had seen the movie Serenity, but never really felt a connection to Firefly. I finally sat myself down and watched the series on Netflix and I now understand.

That show was incredible, and it had SO MANY more stories to tell. I kinda feel like a national treasure was ripped away from us. Such a shame.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
Firefly's cancellation never tore me up that much. Kings on the other hand... :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Luminous Obscurity posted:

Firefly's cancellation never tore me up that much. Kings on the other hand... :negative:

Oh, man, I had forgotten about Kings. That show was awesome as poo poo and had a ton of potential. The cast was super great, too. They could make a show that was just Brian Cox and Ian McShane sitting in a room and being hardasses towards one other and it would be the apex of television right there.