Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
Try hovering over the yellow ! in Tabs

Maybe there's something there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pertplus
Nov 7, 2009

crazysim posted:

Try hovering over the yellow ! in Tabs

Maybe there's something there.

That worked, thanks! For anyone interested, it said I needed to disable tap to click in the osx trackpad preferences in order to get any touch functionality from MagicPrefs. I did that, and I set it up so that Magicprefs manages my one finger and three finger tap-clicks. Seems pretty good so far but there's one problem. You can choose how easy it is to trigger tap commands and when I make it very easy, I make extra single-clicks by mistake and when I make it not-so-easy it's aggravating to get the middle-click to register.

Now, is there a way to get my username to not display in the toolbar and my battery meter to show time remaining in 10.8.2 like I had it in 10.6?

Pertplus fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Dec 22, 2012

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
For the username thing it's the same as it's been for years iirc. I think it's under Users or Accounts or something (wherever user control stuff is in System Prefs), there should be a setting for fast user switching somewhere in there with an option to switch the menu item display between icon, short name, and full name.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Pertplus posted:

Now, is there a way to get my username to not display in the toolbar

System Preferences > Users and Groups > Login Options > uncheck "Show fast user switching menu as.."

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011

Pertplus posted:

So i just updated to 10.8.2 from 10.6. I had "BetterTouchTool" setup so that a three-finger tap was a middle-click but it's not working after the update. I tried using MagicPrefs instead but it won't let me set up any tap gestures; they're all greyed out and it looks like this vvv. Any idea what the problem is? How can I get three-finger tap to do a middle-click again?

BetterTouchTool works fine with 10.8.2, but you may have to update it, in case you wanted to go back. I get new releases pretty much bi-weekly.

Pertplus
Nov 7, 2009

in_cahoots posted:

BetterTouchTool works fine with 10.8.2, but you may have to update it, in case you wanted to go back. I get new releases pretty much bi-weekly.

For me it only works if I disable the tap-to-click option in the general osx trackpad settings.

Edit: Which is also true of MagicPrefs, but BetterTouchTool doesn't let you assign a function to single-finger taps.

Pertplus fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Dec 22, 2012

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Gism0 posted:

Cheers! Was that a macbook air? I have the 2011 sandy bridge i7 version. If so did you notice that it ran a lot hotter than usual?

The top left area, where the power adapter connects, gets incredibly hot. I can't even hold my finger there for more than a couple seconds and i've noticed the CPU got to 93°c the other day, I was just browsing the web!

The weather here has been between 33°c and 40°c lately so I expect the temperatures to be a little higher than normal, but 93°c is kind of ridiculous. The computer has felt slow and sluggish recently too with way too much beachballin' for my liking. I'm guessing the heat is causing the cpu to be under-clocked, assuming it supports that feature..

Really wish I'd bought AppleCare..

Nope, 2009 MacBook Pro, with a Core 2 Duo processor. Mine only really gets hot above the keyboard, i.e. where the vents are (sensibly enough). Don't have any experience with Airs.

A couple things the Apple Store pplz did tell me regarding usage was:
1, it would help to let the battery run down more often than I'd let it (my impression was that lithium ion batteries didn't have memory that was affected by usage, but that's what they said); and
2 that I'd get better performance by restarting comp every so often, as I don't have OS X Server (e.g. mb think about restarting when the kernel_task process starts getting well over 1 GB real memory used -- which persists for me even when all other applications are quit).

My AppleCare philosophy (or whatever) is that for desktops it's probably not worth it, but a pretty drat good idea for laptops, and probably a good idea for phones.

davejk
Mar 22, 2007

Pillbug

Abjad Soup posted:

My AppleCare philosophy (or whatever) is that for desktops it's probably not worth it, but a pretty drat good idea for laptops, and probably a good idea for phones.

AppleCare is definitely worth it on desktops. Apple's desktops are built like giant laptops, and suffer many of the same problems - my first-gen Intel iMac's GPU fell off the motherboard because it melted its own soldering, and my current mid-2011 iMac's display gets weird in the corner where the GPU is located when it's hot.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yeah over the course of 3 years I had to bring in my 24" iMac over 5 times for various repairs. They need Applecare. It's not like you can really fix any problems that occur.

Though to be fair 3 of those repairs were for the failing optical drive. Now that those are gone maybe repairs will go down.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Mu Zeta posted:

Yeah over the course of 3 years I had to bring in my 24" iMac over 5 times for various repairs. They need Applecare. It's not like you can really fix any problems that occur.

Though to be fair 3 of those repairs were for the failing optical drive. Now that those are gone maybe repairs will go down.

Dang. The last non-laptop Mac I owned was years ago and it was an old Power Mac G4, which was super roomy inside. Much like with the Air, I don't have much (or any) experience with the newer desktop Macs.

At least on desktops you're not toting them around and subjecting them to the same kind of physical wear and tear that laptops will suffer -- that is/was my reasoning behind "AppleCare for desktops probably not worth it".

p.s. holy poo poo davejk, that's kinda ridiculous :O

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Mu Zeta posted:

Not to mention the parts are proprietary, and even the parts that you can get aftermarket (SSD) are expeeensive.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Holy cow.

I'm in the apple store right now and not only did they replace my charger for free, but they also replaced the rubber mat underneath my late 2009 MacBook which had been warped from playing Civ 5 on my bed (that is, not on a hard surface) except they insisted that it wasn't my fault and that everything was covered by some obscure policy they have on those models that's effective regardless of my warranty, which had long run out.

Best Apple Store experience ever. And I didn't even have AppleCare.

We replace at least one unibody MacBook bottom case a week. Those things delaminate just by looking at them wrong. It's not an obscure policy. Same with the non-unibody MacBooks and the splintering top cases. It's pretty much a no questions asked policy, but Apple doesn't advertise them as recalls.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

I'm looking to get a monitor for my future Mac Mini. I came across the Dell U2913WM, which has a natural resolution of 2560x1080. Does OS X support this? I can't really tell from the Display section of my Air.

Modern Pragmatist
Aug 20, 2008
Also worth noting is that if you're a student You can actually get an education discount on AppleCare

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Abjad Soup posted:

I remember reading some former Apple Store guy's blog suggesting the opposite. The logic was that if a desktop issue came up it'd generally cost a lot, while with the laptops there's a flat fee repair option, I think it was $300, although not sure whether they have it still or the criteria for getting the option. Of course that logic goes out the window if you end up having multiple issues spread out over time.

davejk
Mar 22, 2007

Pillbug

Abel Wingnut posted:

I'm looking to get a monitor for my future Mac Mini. I came across the Dell U2913WM, which has a natural resolution of 2560x1080. Does OS X support this? I can't really tell from the Display section of my Air.

The Mini will only do up to 1920x1200 through the HDMI port. Thunderbolt displays can go up to 2560x1440, but I'm not sure if that works through a Thunderbolt-to-whatever adapter.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Bob Morales posted:

Not to mention the parts are proprietary, and even the parts that you can get aftermarket (SSD) are expeeensive.

Apple is locking down its parts inventory. Even if you're a Fruit Stand or an AASP, when you order a part you often must enter the serial number of both the part you ordered and the one of the part you're returning.

Those third party parts are expensive because some people are ordering Apple's parts and just not even returning them, and the price is a markup from Apple's price. However, that can only happen so many times before Apple cuts you off.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

davejk posted:

The Mini will only do up to 1920x1200 through the HDMI port. Thunderbolt displays can go up to 2560x1440, but I'm not sure if that works through a Thunderbolt-to-whatever adapter.

The Mini's Thunderbolt port supports resolutions up to 2560x1440, including signals passed through a DVI adapter.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

cbirdsong posted:

The Mini's Thunderbolt port supports resolutions up to 2560x1440, including signals passed through a DVI adapter.

Thank you. Looks like I can spring for the 27" after all.

:)

Oh My Science
Dec 29, 2008
I need some help getting a flash player to work on Mac browsers. The web player for global tv, specifically the news section, refuses to load content aside from ads. I've tested all browsers, and the only solution is to use a windows machine. Maybe I'm missing something simple, but I cannot figure it out.

I'll post a link when I'm not on my phone. You may need to be a Canadian to access the content.

noskill
Dec 6, 2012

OMCK

Oh My Science posted:

I need some help getting a flash player to work on Mac browsers. The web player for global tv, specifically the news section, refuses to load content aside from ads. I've tested all browsers, and the only solution is to use a windows machine. Maybe I'm missing something simple, but I cannot figure it out.

I'd start by completely uninstalling Flash Player (guide here) and then installing latest version (from here).

For best results, close all applications that might be using Flash, like Safari/Firefox/Chrome/Spotify/etc. Or even better, just quit everything.

Oh My Science
Dec 29, 2008

noskill posted:

I'd start by completely uninstalling Flash Player (guide here) and then installing latest version (from here).

For best results, close all applications that might be using Flash, like Safari/Firefox/Chrome/Spotify/etc. Or even better, just quit everything.

I guess I should have mentioned that I'm trying this on fresh installs of 10.8. This has apparently been an ongoing issue for awhile, and when I first heard about it I thought it may have been a region bug. I'm nearly certain it's an issue with their website.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

cbirdsong posted:

Just to be pedantic rather than sorry, you need an "active" MDP -> DL-DVI adaptor, which is ~$100.
The cheap "passive" MDP -> DVI adaptors are single-link only and will only drive the monitor at up to 1920x1200.

If the Dell has a DisplayPort input the best option is a MDP -> DP cable.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
Plugged a mouse into my MBA for the first time tonight (testing out clamshell mode) and am now realizing that the scroll wheel behavior is the opposite of what I was expecting it to do. While I love the 'natural' scrolling, or whatever the Apple term is, of the track pad, I expect the mouse wheel to function in a specific way i.e. pushing from bottom to top makes the page go up, vice versa for the other way. Is there a way to retain the trackpad scroll direction and "correct" the mouse wheel behavior?

If not it's not a huge deal as I'll likely not be using a mouse, save once every few months.

Edit: I'm stupid. System Prefs -> Mouse -> Untick Scroll direction: normal

Probably should have looked before I asked. Curse you for being so obvious and user friendly :argh: and my expecting the solution to be complicated.

SeaborneClink fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Dec 24, 2012

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The thing that sucks is that you can't have it so mice and the trackpad behave differently. If you want natural scrolling for the trackpad it's going to act the same on the mouse.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

Mu Zeta posted:

The thing that sucks is that you can't have it so mice and the trackpad behave differently. If you want natural scrolling for the trackpad it's going to act the same on the mouse.

Scroll reverser will let you control them separately.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Mu Zeta posted:

Yeah, I've just found this out. Thanks for the hint about scroll reverser!

Frank Zappa
Feb 6, 2004

Electric Aunt Jemima - Goddess of Love
So... this is my first post ever from my new MacBook Pro! I've never used a Mac before today, but it seems I've got the hang of it. I've got it set up with Chrome and a few of the other essential apps out there.

I have one quick question that I didn't see addressed in the first post, and I hope that it's not stupid. I was reading about a few new viruses for Mac recently, and I wanted to ask if it's really necessary to get an antivirus program. Also, which ones are recommended? (I use ESET / NOD32 for my PCs, and I see they have a product for Mac as well... Is that the best?)

Thanks for your help!

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
What's the recommended Mac RSS app? I'm thinking of picking up Reeder right now as it's what I use on my iPhone.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Frank Zappa posted:

So... this is my first post ever from my new MacBook Pro! I've never used a Mac before today, but it seems I've got the hang of it. I've got it set up with Chrome and a few of the other essential apps out there.

I have one quick question that I didn't see addressed in the first post, and I hope that it's not stupid. I was reading about a few new viruses for Mac recently, and I wanted to ask if it's really necessary to get an antivirus program. Also, which ones are recommended? (I use ESET / NOD32 for my PCs, and I see they have a product for Mac as well... Is that the best?)

Thanks for your help!
You don't need one - commercial products just scan for Windows virus signatures, and the OS has built-in anti-malware protection. Enjoy the new Mac :)

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

Chuck Bartowski posted:

What's the recommended Mac RSS app? I'm thinking of picking up Reeder right now as it's what I use on my iPhone.

I use Reeder on my MBA, replacing years with NetNewsWire. I'm never going back.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Should I be downloading GIMP or Pixelmator for my image editing needs? I'm pretty new to image image editing in general and I'm looking for something retina ready and easy to use. Other suggestions welcome

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Chuck Bartowski posted:

Should I be downloading GIMP or Pixelmator for my image editing needs? I'm pretty new to image image editing in general and I'm looking for something retina ready and easy to use. Other suggestions welcome

Oh God.... definitely Pixelmator.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

cbirdsong posted:

Best solution if the monitor has DisplayPort is to buy a mini-dp to DisplayPort cable from monoprice, rather than dealing with adapters and confusion over single vs. double link dvi.

Efb two days ago. That'll learn me to leave a tab open for that long :/

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Lexicon posted:

Oh God.... definitely Pixelmator.

Any particular reason why? It does look pretty good though.

Oh My Science
Dec 29, 2008

Chuck Bartowski posted:

Any particular reason why? It does look pretty good though.

Gimp is nice, but the UI is a pain in the rear end and it requires X11 to install (last time I checked).

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Oh My Science posted:

Gimp is nice, but the UI is a pain in the rear end and it requires X11 to install (last time I checked).

Oh My Science posted:

Alright. I'll go for Pixelmator then seeing as how it's pretty cheap.

What's a good site for retina wallpapers? (13" if that changes your reccomendations)

Oh My Science
Dec 29, 2008

Frank Zappa posted:

Thanks for your help!

I have never had an anti-virus on any of the macs I have owned, and have never run into a problem. That being said I am fairly conscious of what I do online and would like to think I don't go looking for viruses.

The last two scares were fixed for free by Apple, and I expect the same level of service in the future. As Macs become more popular I suspect more viruses to pop up, and if you are concerned about it that much feel free to grab something. I have no opinion on which anti-virus would be best.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Oh My Science posted:

Yeah, basically this. The overwhelming benefit of OS X is the quality and experience of the native software - Pixelmator exemplifies this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Oh My Science posted:

As Macs become more popular I suspect more viruses to pop up, and if you are concerned about it that much feel free to grab something. I have no opinion on which anti-virus would be best.

This logic is perfectly sound, but people have been saying it since I first got into Macs in 2006 and nothing has ever really changed.

Diligence and common sense are all that is needed. I wouldn't waste my time with a virus checker. Even on windows, that feels like something of an anachronism with the security advances they've made since XP.