Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

RentCavalier posted:

Of course, considering his already clearly low moral values, I can imagine he'd also be very likely to kill someone. He's good with knives too, being a cook.

If it wouldn't be kind of a rehash to do so, I'd almost think they would go for some kind of Yamada/Celes thing with him only framed differently. "Hey, wanna help me kill someone? You'll TOTALLY get laid afterwards" only he gets the ol' Travis Touchdown treatment (NMH1, not 2)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

I think he's more likely to get framed for killing someone then to do it himself. Maybe Sonia's trying to pull something on him like Maizono did to Naegi.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

C-Euro posted:

I've only been skimming the thread, but has it been pointed out that Chef Boy-ar-dee has a corncob similar to Mondo's from the previous game?

I'm not sure why you would feel the need to point it out, everybody can see it. Advance apologies to the blind readership.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

C-Euro posted:

I've only been skimming the thread, but has it been pointed out that Chef Boy-ar-dee has a corncob similar to Mondo's from the previous game?

They're not really that similar. Mondo had a combination punch-perm/ducktail, while Teruteru just has his straight hair slicked to the side.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Devil Ed posted:

I think he's more likely to get framed for killing someone then to do it himself. Maybe Sonia's trying to pull something on him like Maizono did to Naegi.

Possible, but doubtful. I'm pretty sure that is what the game creators are trying to do. Create and fuel expectations based on what happened in the first game, then turn around and do something completely different. If Sonia dies first or we find out she tried to frame someone like Hanamura or Hajime, it'll just be a sort of "oh so she's just like Maizono!" sort of deal. That's what we're expecting, but it's more likely we're going to see a lot of the parallels to DR1 subverted. I think it would be pretty boring to rehash the first game and make the obvious suspects the culprits. If Sonia turns out to be a murderer I think it would be a disappointing and boring twist, because we've already seen it with Maizono before.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

lotus circle posted:

Possible, but doubtful. I'm pretty sure that is what the game creators are trying to do. Create and fuel expectations based on what happened in the first game, then turn around and do something completely different. If Sonia dies first or we find out she tried to frame someone like Hanamura or Hajime, it'll just be a sort of "oh so she's just like Maizono!" sort of deal. That's what we're expecting, but it's more likely we're going to see a lot of the parallels to DR1 subverted. I think it would be pretty boring to rehash the first game and make the obvious suspects the culprits. If Sonia turns out to be a murderer I think it would be a disappointing and boring twist, because we've already seen it with Maizono before.

Maizono never killed anyone. :colbert:

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Anatharon posted:

Maizono never killed anyone. :colbert:

She plotted to and would have succeeded if Leon wasn't faster and it was pretty clear she wanted to frame Naegi for it :v: Heck the game even tried to paint Leon as a victim of the situation, until Celes pointed out that he could have just left Maizono in the bathroom alive. I'm hoping this time the first murder won't be "oh someone had to kill due to a situation" and we actually get someone who would be ok with getting rid of everyone else just to escape.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

lotus circle posted:

She plotted to and would have succeeded if Leon wasn't faster and it was pretty clear she wanted to frame Naegi for it :v: Heck the game even tried to paint Leon as a victim of the situation, until Celes pointed out that he could have just left Maizono in the bathroom alive. I'm hoping this time the first murder won't be "oh someone had to kill due to a situation" and we actually get someone who would be ok with getting rid of everyone else just to escape.

We really need an emoticon for just slowly passing your hand over your head. I feel like that's a niche that needs filling.

Anyway I can't overstate how much I'm looking forward to Cholesterogami. Oren's playing games with our emotions saving him for last, since I'm assuming with the hub style you can meet these clumps of dudes in whatever order.

I hope the twist is that the Togamis had five sons and then named them all Byakuya so that they'd develop good, healthy personality syndromes.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Two Inch Bee posted:

At the risk of committing prematurely to my DR2 Is A Videogame About Videogames theory: the inclusion of a princess is interesting. Especially because of Hinata's immediate and all-consuming attraction to her. Granted, she's nice-looking, and "love at first sight" isn't unheard-of in any genre, much less high-school anime. But DR is twisty and genre-savvy enough that something about Hinata's instant infatuation seems suspicious. Especially since we have reason to believe someone's messed with his memories/identity.

So: Hinata is our blank-slate protagonist (players can certainly relate to him being a big fan of Dangan Ronpa Hope's Peak Academy) and now there's a princess who, if it came to that, he'd probably be inclined to try and save. Is someone trying to set up a traditional videogame narrative here?

...I'm sorry, but what's this about instant infatuation and all-consuming attraction? Did I miss a what-if in your post?

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

lotus circle posted:

Admittedly yes. I'm wonder if Sonia is smarter then she let's on, with no malicious intent, or if the designers are pulling a double bluff and she's really that naive. Too early to tell though

Two Inch Bee
Apr 17, 2003
Damn you, Lyle, and damn your style.

Gensuki posted:

...I'm sorry, but what's this about instant infatuation and all-consuming attraction? Did I miss a what-if in your post?

I may have overstated it slightly? But...

"Pure white skin that looks like porcelain... Blue eyes like precious jewels... Sparkling golden hair... She has the kind of appeal that makes you just want to keep looking at her, forever."

"...For someone as beautiful and overflowing with grace as her, such a title doesn't seem at all out of place."

"Somehow... I feel like I should kneel down before her."

That's all I meant.

Stone Salt
Dec 27, 2012

Two Inch Bee posted:

I may have overstated it slightly? But...

"Pure white skin that looks like porcelain... Blue eyes like precious jewels... Sparkling golden hair... She has the kind of appeal that makes you just want to keep looking at her, forever."

"...For someone as beautiful and overflowing with grace as her, such a title doesn't seem at all out of place."

"Somehow... I feel like I should kneel down before her."

That's all I meant.

Well it's just natural if she's a Super High School Level Princess. I don't think Hinata is a loving white knight.

Also, why would she be scheming and faking ignorance? The trip might be strange, but they haven't really been told to murder each other.

slam5000
Aug 19, 2012

IceBorg posted:

I think Luck is just the only special one for research reasons maybe.
To get to the school you need to be the best in a particular skill so it would be kinda weird if there were repeats of skills because that would mean one of then was the second best.

We have Togami, who is most likely still SHSL Heir, so I suppose that's a repeat.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Basically her sprite looks the same as everybody else's so the reader has to be told via text that she is beautiful. I think Naegi made similar comments in DR1.

Mirdini
Jan 14, 2012

slowbeef posted:

In his mind, he's a suave ladies man

While it feels like giving Hanamura's suave ways too much credit (ridiculously so) about half-way through the update I couldn't keep this from playing in my head for the rest of his dialogue.

That said I agree with those saying he'll be an entertaining character - while definitely a creeper he doesn't seem like he'll be quite as much of a complete caricature as Yamada was so I'm interested in seeing where the writers will take him.

Mirdini fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Dec 27, 2012

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

slam5000 posted:

We have Togami, who is most likely still SHSL Heir, so I suppose that's a repeat.

I really hope he turns out to be SHSL Homeless or something.

slam5000
Aug 19, 2012

Policenaut posted:

If there was an update that announced that, I might as well just die right after reading it, life can only go down hill after something that amazing. :neckbeard:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Policenaut posted:

I think he's pretty clearly a Super High-School Level Pie Eater.

CandyCrazy
Oct 20, 2012

I bet that, in honor of him gaining 500 lbs in what couldn't have been more than one or two years, Togami has been readmitted into Hope's Peak as a Super High-School Level Glutton.

Assuming he survives this game, he'll then reappear in the theoretical third game as a SHSL Sucker for falling for the same scheme twice.

CandyCrazy fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Dec 27, 2012

kvltmanifesto
Oct 10, 2012

I can't wait for the inevitable dynamic between Togami and the chef.

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

RentCavalier posted:

If the chef isn't the first one killed, then he isn't going to get killed for pretty much the rest of the game. That's my complete nonsense prediction. He has the potential to be a pretty funny character depending on how they play him.

I think something that has to be taken into account is that, while DR1 only had to subvert expectations of the genre, DR2 is going to have to take into account subverting expectations based on the previous game as well as the genre of the game.

For an example, a lot of people in the thread for Dangan Ronpa predicted Hagakure would die fairly early, due to his being more of the comedic character in the game. As we all know, however, Hagakure survived to the very end. Going off of that, if Hanamura is going to fill the shoes of Hagakure in this game, I don't know that he's going to survive as long. Some people are going to expect that, since they kept one character in the first game for comedy's sake, the same thing will happen in this one.

Of course, it's still too early to know anything for sure. I do believe this game will have a lot more double bluffs than DR1 did though, now that we have a previous game to base expectations off of.

Ineffiable posted:

I can't believe the best one is for last: Fatgami. (also I really just want to compare his official artwork to the DR1 one)

I really hope his official artwork is brand new, but I'm sort of expecting it to be his DR1 artwork, but about two-hundred pounds heavier.

ArcadeBumstead
Apr 3, 2008

Saccharomyces cerevisiae is a species of yeast. It is perhaps the most useful yeast, having been instrumental to winemaking, baking and brewing since ancient times. It is believed that it was originally isolated from the skin of grapes (one can see the yeast as a component of the thin white film on
Since the princess is a real princess there might be a political motivation to kill her, even without the game setting up another battle royale. There might also be existing motivations for Togami, assuming it's the same Togami family we're talking about, and Babyface. It'll be interesting to see if the other characters have any connections to these three.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Mirdini posted:

While it feels like giving Hanamura's suave ways too much credit (ridiculously so) about half-way through the update I couldn't keep this from playing in my head for the rest of his dialogue.

That said I agree with those saying he'll be an entertaining character - while definitely a creeper he doesn't seem like he'll be quite as much of a complete caricature as Yamada was so I'm interested in seeing where the writers will take him.

Oh wow, I've never actually seen that video. My grade 8 math teacher would reference it as a joke to a smug dude in my class called Nico. :v:

kvltmanifesto posted:

I can't wait for the inevitable dynamic between Togami and the chef.

Well, he seemed pretty annoyed about his weight.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
I love the standard goon-hatetrain piling up on our Chef. :v:

Sonia's interest in the occult is weird for me. From what I know through anime, it's a big cliche that Japanese girls tend to all be super interested in magic and tarot reading and such. It's seems as a really common interest, but Sonia, the one girl who they have showing this standard trait, is an exchange student from some fictional eastern European country. Could be partly to do with her other interest being Japan, but there's pretty much no way this isn't going to be relevant in some way.

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!

NeuroticLich posted:

I really hope his official artwork is brand new, but I'm sort of expecting it to be his DR1 artwork, but about two-hundred pounds heavier.
Considering that all of Togami's sprites so far are just his DR1 sprites but fat yeah I'm 100% sure the artwork will be the DR1 one but fat.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

IceBorg posted:

Considering that all of Togami's sprites so far are just his DR1 sprites but fat yeah I'm 100% sure the artwork will be the DR1 one but fat.

Are you sure about that, man?

If it's really the same Togami, there's no way in hell he can fit on that throne anymore.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

orenronen posted:

Teruteru Hanamura: Super High-school Level Cook

~~peacocking with my balla-rear end spoon~~

Nthing the impression that our boy here is all talk. Mostly because that plot of his was way too over-the-top to be getting played completely straight. Might be wishful thinking on my part, though. :ohdear:

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
I'm kind of hoping he succeeds at every opportunity, just because a teenager joking about blowjobs made the thread froth with rage, and the possible outpouring of tears from his schtick actually working seems like it would exceed all my wildest dreams. Keep getting angry at the make-believe teenager acting like an idiot teenager, guys. I love it.

Stone Salt
Dec 27, 2012

Captain Bravo posted:

I'm kind of hoping he succeeds at every opportunity, just because a teenager joking about blowjobs made the thread froth with rage, and the possible outpouring of tears from his schtick actually working seems like it would exceed all my wildest dreams. Keep getting angry at the make-believe teenager acting like an idiot teenager, guys. I love it.

How old is he anyway? A 133cm 18 year old? Is he a dwarf?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Arbitrary Coin posted:

Chalk one up for the "not actually Naegi" since that dude isn't nearly assertive enough tot say anything like that.
It'll be interesting to see how Fat Togami and Crazy Hair Asahina fit in here, and what their SHSL skills are. I doubt they'll be the exactly the same, but even so, the resemblance between

and

is sort of hard to ignore, eye color aside. And I barely think I need to mention the resemblance in Fat Togami.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
High School denotes an age range from 14-18, (Or maybe 15-18 in Japan? I dunno) so it's not inconceivable that a late bloomer might not have hit their growth spurt yet.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

Patware posted:

Yeah, people need to remember that guys like Hanamaru not only exist but are pretty common out there in the world. In general, goons gettin' mad about sex being mentioned at all is pretty distressingly par for the course.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I'd go a step further and say that goons are projecting their own awkward teenage selves onto Hanamaru. They immediately recognised Hanamaru as one them, didn't they?

Uh, sorry, no. In my case, I think he's an utter creep after I had to deal with his kind many too many times both in high school and after it. In the memory of all those creeps, I hope he dies. Real soon. And painfully, too.

Sonia, on the other hand, is OK. In fact, most of the girls so far are surprisingly level-headed.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

meristem posted:

Uh, sorry, no. In my case, I think he's an utter creep after I had to deal with his kind many too many times both in high school and after it. In the memory of all those creeps, I hope he dies. Real soon. And painfully, too.

Sonia, on the other hand, is OK. In fact, most of the girls so far are surprisingly level-headed.

Look, I really do know what you mean, but it's not really fair for people to be calling him a sexual predator and the like after a conversation that takes less then 20 seconds in the game itself. Like, it was creepy, sure, but the reaction is more then a little over the top.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

meristem posted:

Maybe this is meant to be a step away from the last game, where the girls included the main psycho antagonist, her supersoldier twin sister, and a SHSL serial killer.

PoliteMachineGun
Oct 5, 2011

They noticed me!
Covet this, fools!

Anatharon posted:

Look, I really do know what you mean, but it's not really fair for people to be calling him a sexual predator and the like after a conversation that takes less then 20 seconds in the game itself. Like, it was creepy, sure, but the reaction is more then a little over the top.

Yeah, wow, look at people having strong reactions to a guy jokingly trying to trick a girl into giving him a blowjob. Because it's still a joke if she actually believed it and went through with it. No, because then it would be her fault for accepting what this guy said at face value. Silly princess, trust is for amateurs!

Look, maybe it'll turn out that he's just trying too hard to bond with the guys, but until then, he is a loving creep. I wouldn't say he should die right away, but I'm not holding out too much hope for him changing. Then again, DR is big on hope....

Serious Cephalopod
Jul 1, 2007

This is a Serious post for a Serious thread.

Bloop Bloop Bloop
Pillbug
Ahh, you're probably right, he's trying to trick her into blowing him. With the talk about her underwear, I thought it was the other way around.

Anatharon posted:

A 20 second conversation in which he tries to sexually prey upon a girl he considers naive? In which even the two main characters threaten him if he continues on with his sexual predation?

Trying to convince a woman to let you suck on anything under her skirt in a way involving deceit is sexual predation, dude.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
Yamada's creepiness was mostly harmless since it was just him fantasizing about fictional 2D characters.

Hanamaru's creepiness is displayed in a 20-second window in which we saw him trying to get sexual favors out of a naive foreigner and proceeding to act like it was all a joke.

Yeah, I'd say the hate for him is justified.

EdgeryWorthy
Oct 5, 2012

So what's your type? You're a herbivore guy, so do you prefer a carnivore girl?
Yeah for real, the conversation may have been a minute or two, but when it's THAT...the length doesn't matter. This dude is way worse than anything Yamada ever did.

If you think it's okay for him to be like that, by all means, try having that conversation with a female classmate/colleague.

Not saying there's no room for him to become a good character but...definitely the worst first impression out of the two games.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Anatharon posted:

I know it's tempting to go easy on him because he's a video game character, but in real life if someone tried to trick a naive girl into blowing him, he'd rightly be viewed as a loving creeper. Has he ever actually managed to succeed in his creepy goals? Probably not so far, since his obsession with sexual things(and his favorite thing being his mommy :v:) reeks of him being one of those goony guys who never gets any. Does that make it okay for him to be creeping on a naive foreign girl(or to suddenly start talking about some other girl's underwear with some guys he just met, for that matter)? No.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
The serial killer is one of my favorite characters, but the guy that made a single :quagmire: comment? I hope he dies, worst character/person ever.

• Locked thread