Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
ME2's soldier makes a baller-tier sniper with adrenline rush and the Widow rifle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

yerrow peril posted:

I played the game only after the Extended Endings dlc came out, but when I first heard about this, I thought it would've made a great way to set up a sequel to the universe. Basically, nobody knows what happened on Earth, save for the fact that the Reapers seem to be stopped. Without working relays, travel is slow and is making any news take much longer to spread than it otherwise would have. So you can set up a story where you play someone tasked with figuring out what happened, and finding the lost Normandy crew or something. Having to 're-explore' the galaxy following a nearly catastrophic event would really fit the Star Trek-y 'new frontier' motif that people seemed to like from the first game.

A caveat with this is that it may make reconciling the Synthesis ending difficult; it'd be hard to miss the fact that you're now glow-in-the-dark.

If the team were planning ahead at all, this would be the perfect way to continue. So long as Synthesis was scrubbed from existence and the Starchild was never mentioned again.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Geostomp posted:

If the team were planning ahead at all, this would be the perfect way to continue. So long as Synthesis was scrubbed from existence and the Starchild was never mentioned again.

It would also allow some kind of Shepard/space bros cameo, which is all the dumbshit fans really want from a "sequel" story.

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006

Blast of Confetti posted:

On my ME1 play, I'm playing an Infiltrator, but I'm already kind of bored with it. Now that I've got all the accuracy perks, the game is basically a point and click adventure game where the solution to every puzzle is "kill the guy". I thought for Mass Effect 2 I would go soldier or vanguard since you can change your class after importing from ME1.

I heard Vanguard is fun, but I don't think I've played a game with a straight up assault rifle in forever. Is soldier as bland as it seems compared to the more specialized classes?

Play a Vanguard. Do it. You know you want to.

Join the Dark Side.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Do Bioware points (or the ME DLC) ever go on sale?

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

Blast of Confetti posted:

On my ME1 play, I'm playing an Infiltrator, but I'm already kind of bored with it. Now that I've got all the accuracy perks, the game is basically a point and click adventure game where the solution to every puzzle is "kill the guy". I thought for Mass Effect 2 I would go soldier or vanguard since you can change your class after importing from ME1.

I heard Vanguard is fun, but I don't think I've played a game with a straight up assault rifle in forever. Is soldier as bland as it seems compared to the more specialized classes?

Soldier in ME2 and ME3 is ... the most "straightforward" class, but I wouldn't exactly call it bland.
Shooting is actually really fun in both games, much more so than in ME1, and you get to use all the weapon classes in ME2 with a Soldier as well.

Vanguard is pretty fun but it's high risk / high reward and the problem with the class is (specifically in ME2) that you will need to level up quite some points to really make the playstyle that lets you get most out of the class viable (constant charging from one enemy to another, without taking cover at all), so the first quarter or so of the game can be a bit frustrating because you'll need to sit back and plink away at enemies a lot.
It might also take a while until the class really clicks for you and it can be frustrating until that happens.

The Soldier doesn't have that problem and the straightforward playstyle of the class is available right from the beginning and just gets better as you progress.

At the end of the day, all the classes are pretty fun in ME2 and ME3, and they have much more distinct features than in ME1, and I don't think you can really go wrong with the choice.

If you just want to shoot stuff with ARs (and any other weapon type, really) in style, the Soldier is definitely the way to go though.

Teron D Amun
Oct 9, 2010

Burning Mustache posted:

Vanguard is pretty fun but it's high risk / high reward and the problem with the class is (specifically in ME2) that you will need to level up quite some points to really make the playstyle that lets you get most out of the class viable (constant charging from one enemy to another, without taking cover at all), so the first quarter or so of the game can be a bit frustrating because you'll need to sit back and plink away at enemies a lot.
It might also take a while until the class really clicks for you and it can be frustrating until that happens.

or you could just show him this chart

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
I wish the next single player DLC would include a way for every class to pick from all the appropriate talents that had ever been implemented in single player or multiplayer. For instance, an Adept wouldn't have to have Pull and Shockwave, but instead could select Barrier, Annihilation Field, Reave, Lash, and Lift Grenades.

Maybe this will happen in a non-Shepard-centric ME4.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Which of the weapon packs is the best? I need to hit 2000 points spent this month for Live Rewards, so I'm going to grab one of those.

Houdini
Sep 13, 2007

Official terrible game purchaser of the SomethingAwful forums.

Aphrodite posted:

Which of the weapon packs is the best? I need to hit 2000 points spent this month for Live Rewards, so I'm going to grab one of those.

The one with the salarian shotgun. I don't know what it's called but it was released around the same time as omega.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Houdini posted:

The one with the salarian shotgun. I don't know what it's called but it was released around the same time as omega.

That would be the Groundside Resistance Pack, which has the handheld Widow pistol along with the Salarian grenade shotgun.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

UnknownMercenary posted:

That would be the Groundside Resistance Pack, which has the handheld Widow pistol along with the Salarian grenade shotgun.
:stare: Welp there goes $3.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I plan to get the Mass Effect Trilogy for PS3. I think this comes with some ME2 DLC like Lair of the Shadow Broker and Overlord.

If I was going to get $20 worth of DLC for this trilogy package, would I be best off with Arrival and From Ashes?

(p.s. it's $40 on Amazon right now)

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Ineffiable posted:

I plan to get the Mass Effect Trilogy for PS3. I think this comes with some ME2 DLC like Lair of the Shadow Broker and Overlord.

If I was going to get $20 worth of DLC for this trilogy package, would I be best off with Arrival and From Ashes?

(p.s. it's $40 on Amazon right now)

I'd take Leviathan over Arrival, Leviathan is apparently super crucial to the story of three, while Arrival I found to be kinda lackluster personally.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Biggest human being Ever posted:

I'd take Leviathan over Arrival, Leviathan is apparently super crucial to the story of three, while Arrival I found to be kinda lackluster personally.

Maybe I'll make an exception and buy Leviathan as well. I know I don't want the Omega DLC, and Bring Down the Sky while awesome is probably not worth getting if the game doesn't come with it already.

Pinnacle Station can go to hell.

(Looks like if it has the same content as ME2 PS3, it should have Kasumi, Zaheed, Shadow Broker and Overlord) So the 3 best DLC I could get is probably Arrival, From Ashes and Leviathan.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Ineffiable posted:

Maybe I'll make an exception and buy Leviathan as well. I know I don't want the Omega DLC, and Bring Down the Sky while awesome is probably not worth getting if the game doesn't come with it already.

Pinnacle Station can go to hell.

(Looks like if it has the same content as ME2 PS3, it should have Kasumi, Zaheed, Shadow Broker and Overlord) So the 3 best DLC I could get is probably Arrival, From Ashes and Leviathan.

The PS3 version of Mass Effect 1 already comes with Bring Down the Sky, Pinnacle Station wasn't ported because it was poo poo (also they lost the source code, but mostly because it was poo poo).

The PS3 version of ME2 comes with all the 'real' DLC apart from Arrival. The stuff like gun packs and appearance packs are sold separately.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Veotax posted:

The PS3 version of Mass Effect 1 already comes with Bring Down the Sky, Pinnacle Station wasn't ported because it was poo poo (also they lost the source code, but mostly because it was poo poo).

The PS3 version of ME2 comes with all the 'real' DLC apart from Arrival. The stuff like gun packs and appearance packs are sold separately.

That's all cool. Arrival I'll pick up just to have something to bring the two games, and From Ashes has what is unquestionably the best party member. Then I just need Leviathan as it's a DLC that contributes majorly to the story.

Thanks for the help. I just wanted to make sure about the DLC choices before I throw some PSN bucks at it.

edit: Can't forget to download the free extended cut too.

Ineffiable fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Dec 27, 2012

Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006
I played ME1 and ME2 on Xbox but I'm thinking about picking ME3 up for the PC since I have recently upgraded my PC (I'll find a save game close enough to my choices from the first two games). The digital deluxe edition is $20 on Origin right now which seems the right choice since it comes with the From Ashes DLC. Before starting I'm also planning on getting the Leviathan DLC and the updated ending DLC. I was going to skip Omega. So I assume this will come to around $30. Is that the best deal around right now?

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

Veotax posted:

What now?

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

It's like how you "lost" that really ugly sweater your aunt got you for Christmas.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power
Apologize if it's been asked a bunch on the other 345 pages, but: Is the trilogy on PC in any way improved from base versions? Like I'm debating getting ME2 on steam since it's 4.99 right now, but I know the ps3 version of ME2 had an updated game engine. I'm wondering if ME2 on PC is similar in that regard. the steam version seems kind of basic, and my friend says it doesn't even have built in 360 controller support.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Except for ME1 on PS3, which was ported specifically for the Trilogy as it hadn't been released on there, the games are all As Released.

So no, no updated engine for ME2.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Bioware didn't make Pinnacle Station, they farmed it out to another company; same one that made the PC port I believe. Apparently they didn't keep all the source files around that that they would need to later port it to the PS3.

But Pinnacle Station is poo poo, so who cares?

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Also, watched that new Mass Effect anime yesterday. Christ what a disaster.

It's not too awful at first, but it goes way the gently caress down hill when the collectors show up. Contradicts a bunch of stuff from the games and the collectors are twice as tall as a human for some reason.

EDIT: Whoops, that wasn't the edit button.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Aphrodite posted:

Except for ME1 on PS3, which was ported specifically for the Trilogy as it hadn't been released on there, the games are all As Released.

So no, no updated engine for ME2.

As released? So the PC version installs the launch version 1.0, and not the patched version? This actually makes a difference to me as to whether I'll buy it.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
Just got the Mass Effect trilogy. I was having a little distaste in the beginning, but it's getting pretty fun.

I just wish the protagonist had a little more personality. the moral choice system can only go so far. Shepherd can't take a joke.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
Character interactions get a bit better in ME2 in my opinion. But Shepard is always bit awkward :shepface:

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Haw. I just noticed that someone hosed up the parental control levels for all three games on the PS3 in the UK.
All three games are level 9, but none of the games are rated high enough for that.

Level 9 is for ages 18 and up, ME1 is rated 12, ME2 & 3 are rated 15.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Does anyone have experience with porting their ME3 save to another platform? (I was gonna use gibbed's save editor.) My sister is a Mass Effect obsessive and EA Origin are major fuckups so I spent $0 on the trilogy and the first two on 360 and PC respectively, but I'm thinking of buying the third on PC since a good friend is playing through the series now and I want to play multiplayer with her when she gets to 3.

Trouble is I've got all the DLC on my Xbox save, most of it finished, and I'd have none for PC. I've got a $5 Amazon promotional credit so it wouldn't be too painful to spring for the digital deluxe but I don't know if Origin's weird authenticating tentacles would find the presence of Javik/my playthroughs of Leviathan/Omega objectionable.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Oh god, I just impulse bought ME3 Digital Deluxe on Amazon for $14.99.

What is the "essential" DLC that I'd need for a good story?

I've completed 1 and 2 but only have the free DLC for them both.

I'm currently doing a NG+ on ME2.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
For ME3, you may want to get the free (!) Extended Cut DLC that improves the endings. Alternatively, don't get it and play the game as it was on release if you want to experience what all the fuzz was about it.

Leviathan is supposedly pretty good (I haven't played it myself) and actually adds meaningful stuff to the story. I would argue that playing through the game with Leviathan and the Extended Cut makes for a significantly different experience and the people who have done so (for their first playthrough) seem to have quite a different view of the entire game than the rest of us that played in back at release.

Omega supposedly doesn't add anything significant to the overall plot and is a bit more combat-focused.

I think From Ashes should have come with your DD edition anyway, so between that and the EC DLC being free, if there's one DLC you'll want to shell out money for, it's currently Leviathan, with Omega being largely considered to be optional.

If you want to spend money on DLC for ME2, I would very much recommend getting at least Lair of the Shadow Broker, and if you feel like spending more, also Overlord, Kasumi and Arrival (probably in that order). LotSB, Overlord and Arrival all offer additional campaign missions that are pretty good (LotSB being exceptionally awesome even, Arrival is often considered to be a tad lackluster but if you're really into the series it's absolutely worth giving a try in my opinion) and Kasumi will give you an additional squadmate as well as a pretty interesting (albeit short) mission with that character. Oh, it also comes with the most overpowered SMG in the entire game.

Burning Mustache fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jan 2, 2013

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

Burning Mustache posted:

For ME3, you may want to get the free (!) Extended Cut DLC that improves the endings. Alternatively, don't get it and play the game as it was on release if you want to experience what all the fuzz was about it.

Leviathan is supposedly pretty good (I haven't played it myself) and actually adds meaningful stuff to the story. I would argue that playing through the game with Leviathan and the Extended Cut makes for a significantly different experience and the people who have done so (for their first playthrough) seem to have quite a different view of the entire game than the rest of us that played in back at release.

Omega supposedly doesn't add anything significant to the overall plot and is a bit more combat-focused.

I think From Ashes should have come with your DD edition anyway, so between that and the EC DLC being free, if there's one DLC you'll want to shell out money for, it's currently Leviathan, with Omega being largely considered to be optional.

If you want to spend money on DLC for ME2, I would very much recommend getting at least Lair of the Shadow Broker, and if you feel like spending more, also Overlord, Kasumi and Arrival (probably in that order). LotSB, Overlord and Arrival all offer additional campaign missions that are pretty good (LotSB being exceptionally awesome even, Arrival is often considered to be a tad lackluster but if you're really into the series it's absolutely worth giving a try in my opinion) and Kasumi will give you an additional squadmate as well as a pretty interesting (albeit short) mission with that character.

Thanks for the suggestions. Do the DLC in ME2 have to be played in any specific order? I'm thinking of only getting LotSB for now and hoping that by some miracle there's a Bioware points or DLC sale in the future.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power
The best DLC is kasumi's because of the locust SMG :getin:

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.

KNITS MY FEEDS posted:

Thanks for the suggestions. Do the DLC in ME2 have to be played in any specific order? I'm thinking of only getting LotSB for now and hoping that by some miracle there's a Bioware points or DLC sale in the future.

Not really, you can do each mission pretty much whenever you feel like it and they are mostly self-contained stories so the pacing doesn't really matter much.
The only notable exception here would be Arrival, which you can theoretically play at any point, but for narrative reasons you really, really should play that only once you're done with the Suicide Mission. It's supposed to be a bridging DLC between the end of ME2 and the beginning of ME3 and doing it before you're finished with ME2's main story makes it pretty messy.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

Do you happen to know if there's been a sale on Bioware points recently or if one is coming up?

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
Nope. In fact, I don't think Bioware points have ever been on sale, unfortunately.
There's one more singleplayer DLC supposed to be released for ME3, maybe they'll do a huge franchise marketing campaign with sales once that hits, but I would estimate that it'll still be a couple of months before that happens.

I wouldn't hold my breath for a Bioware points sale either way, though.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

Burning Mustache posted:

Nope. In fact, I don't think Bioware points have ever been on sale, unfortunately.
There's one more singleplayer DLC supposed to be released for ME3, maybe they'll do a huge franchise marketing campaign with sales once that hits, but I would estimate that it'll still be a couple of months before that happens.

I wouldn't hold my breath for a Bioware points sale either way, though.

Oh wow, EA is terrible. It charged me tax on Bioware points.

Cometa Rossa
Oct 23, 2008

I would crawl ass-naked over a sea of broken glass just to kiss a dick
Has anyone else had freezing/endless loading screen issues? My Disc 1 works fine, and when I switched over to Disc 2 almost every loading screen went on forever. I tried cleaning the disc a few times and that helped for about 20 seconds, but then my screen went black and froze during a cutscene :(

losonti tokash
Oct 29, 2007

I'm so pretty, oh so pretty.

KNITS MY FEEDS posted:

Oh wow, EA is terrible. It charged me tax on Bioware points.

What a weird post.

Cometa, have you tried installing disc 2 to the hard drive? If that works you shouldn't have any trouble from then on since the game won't actually be reading the disc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cometa Rossa
Oct 23, 2008

I would crawl ass-naked over a sea of broken glass just to kiss a dick

losonti tokash posted:

What a weird post.

Cometa, have you tried installing disc 2 to the hard drive? If that works you shouldn't have any trouble from then on since the game won't actually be reading the disc.

I'll give that a shot, I've conveniently got a new and bigger one coming in the mail soon.

• Locked thread