Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Update out of nowhere. Been a while. Where are the patch notes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

SeanBeansShako posted:

Mine's doing it too, but since it trying to download 9.2 GB, it must be a mistake.

I'm trying to verify the game's cache to stop it, but it seems to be frozen right now.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

SeanBeansShako posted:

Very good question. There's no announcment or news about this that I could find and over on the Bethesda forums people are just as confused.

It's a whopping 9.2 GB download too. o_O I think this is Steam being steamy.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Dec 26, 2012

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
Pretty sure it's a glitch on steams end. It does it for Team Fortress a couple times a month, decides the patch is nine gig or so, loads a few meg and goes gently caress this, that'll do.

Amoxicilina
Oct 21, 2008

Wolfsheim posted:

the only particularly terrible trampling of Fallout canon they did was that bit in the awful Mothership Zeta DLC that implies that the aliens started the war.
Wait, what? I've played through zeta many times and I never got that impression. Is there secret dialog somewhere I've missed?

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Trustworthy posted:

Whether I'm punching, slashing, or shooting, if I'm somewhere that I can predict/direct a powerful enemy's movements (towns, sewers, etc.) I'll almost always booby trap the hell out of an area and let the baddie do the hard work for me.

Blowing things into chunks is great, but really nothing's better than a big baddie stumbling through a bunch of explosions, and by the time he rounds a corner and we meet face-to-face, I can knock him dead with a single punch or bullet.

Packs of Fiends are great in open spaces too, with proper preparation and if you have ton of resources and don't care about being wasteful. Sneak in, lay a sizeable mine field, then run away, find some cover, and start plinking at them to get their attention and get them running in your direction.

This was one of the problems I had with the teleporting deatchlaws in LR. Since they spawned practically on top of you, it made setting up ambush zones by tossing around satchel charges and bottle cap mines kind of worthless. Instead you just had to shoot them with a flare gun and hope they maybe ran over a mine.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Amoxicilina posted:

Wait, what? I've played through zeta many times and I never got that impression. Is there secret dialog somewhere I've missed?

I don't think it's hidden, it's just an audio log that's gotta be picked up. But basically the gist of it is that the aliens kidnapped some US general, got the launch codes from his brain, and used them to launch the nukes for absolutely no reason whatsoever.

Merry Magpie
Jan 8, 2012

A superstitious cowardly lot.

Upmarket Mango posted:

I don't think it's hidden, it's just an audio log that's gotta be picked up. But basically the gist of it is that the aliens kidnapped some US general, got the launch codes from his brain, and used them to launch the nukes for absolutely no reason whatsoever.
Transcript below:
(Alien Babble)
Our defenses consist of 3 battalions of light infantry, 34
pieces of field artillery, 108 armored vehicles and 42
aerial vehicles.
(Alien Babble)
We have 38 ICBM's always on alert and ready to fire when
the word is passed down from the White House.
(Alien Babble)
The codes to activate the launch sequences are...are...
uhhngh...no...I can't let you...uggh...get out of my mind!
(Alien Babble)
Agggh! The c-codes...are...ugh....no...I can't betray...AGH!
My head! I can't...won't...AGGGGH! agggh...

Man's inhumanity to man? Nope, aliens!

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Any idea why my FNV has a 9.2 gig update? Is it reinstalling itself for some reason? And if so is that going to mess up my mods?

edit: it just paused itself, and upon clicking resume it just said its ready to play.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Merry Magpie posted:

Transcript below:
(Alien Babble)
aerial vehicles.
(Alien Babble)
(Alien Babble)
(Alien Babble)

I never found this holotape so as far as I'm concerned it never happened. :colbert:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

StandardVC10 posted:

I never found this holotape so as far as I'm concerned it never happened. :colbert:

I never bought the DLC, it never happened (gently caress the dude who wrote that you are rubbish).

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
Hey let's talk about whether or not it is canon! :dance:

Renditious
Sep 25, 2012

Trustworthy posted:

Let's not, there's a painful rabbit hole to go down. Never found that audio log though, I never bothered scouring the ship for those logs, just grabbed the ones out in the open.

madeupfred
Oct 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Trustworthy posted:

The Most Canon Game :c00l:

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

None of that says anything but the aliens getting information on American defenses. :colbert:

That said, I always did Mothership Zeta in a drug and alcohol-addicted haze after James dies.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

madeupfred posted:

I was going to hilariously link to a Napoleonic cannon mod, but apparently such a mod does not exist. WHAT THE gently caress NEXUS? Finish up your decapitated necrophilia animations or whatever and get to work on the important stuff. :mad:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Bouncing tits, embarassingly skimpy outfits and boring 'I MADE GUN SHOOT NUKES' mods are more important that things adding interesting new content guys.

Still Skyrim is distracting them now. We're getting some good ones slowly (Working cars!)

madeupfred
Oct 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Trustworthy posted:

I was going to hilariously link to a Napoleonic cannon mod, but apparently such a mod does not exist. WHAT THE gently caress NEXUS? Finish up your decapitated necrophilia animations or whatever and get to work on the important stuff. :mad:

This is the same community that made the Headshop of the Wastes with a voice acted owner, right? Give them time.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

Upmarket Mango posted:

They just like watching us suffer since we are so far the most entertaining race to probe.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

madeupfred posted:

I'm honestly all for considering the entirety of 3 non-canon myself.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
The only canon I care about in Fallout is plasma canons.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
What about Tesla Cannons

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
Regarding Mine chat, I definitely feel like i used them a lot more in FO3 than New Vegas. The former had a lot of "dungeons" that were open enough that I could creep around and drop mines on patrol paths. New Vegas, on the other hand, seemed to put me in tight corridors where I couldn't really maneuver or wide open spaces where I couldn't count on an enemy stepping somewhere.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Trustworthy posted:

Man, you just don't understand art- and praise God, neither do I :)

Kalos posted:

Regarding Mine chat, I definitely feel like i used them a lot more in FO3 than New Vegas.

I admit, I never used mines in any of the games- they were just light packs of tradeable items for me. Half the Wasteland(s) are armed with mines thanks to my PCs :v:

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Kalos posted:

Regarding Mine chat, I definitely feel like i used them a lot more in FO3 than New Vegas. The former had a lot of "dungeons" that were open enough that I could creep around and drop mines on patrol paths. New Vegas, on the other hand, seemed to put me in tight corridors where I couldn't really maneuver or wide open spaces where I couldn't count on an enemy stepping somewhere.

I always used them in the begging of both FO3 and NV because they tended to do pretty decent base damage even with low skill and they were a great way to soften up enemies before finally downing them when you had only so-so skill in Guns/Energy/etc. Basically the tight corridors make it so the monsters have to run over them, and I can backpedal while shooting them in the grill.

The only explosives that I was ever underwhelmed with were the EMP style, because it always felt like no matter how close to a robot the explosion looked like it was, they always had next to zero effect.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

I love explosives. Whats that? Boom. 8xp. Well it doesn't matter then.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

homeless poster posted:

The only explosives that I was ever underwhelmed with were the EMP style, because it always felt like no matter how close to a robot the explosion looked like it was, they always had next to zero effect.

I think pulse weapons have some associated bugs, or at least that's the explanation I always roll with when I toss six of the grenades at a sentry bot, do about 1/5th damage on the first hit, and subsequently do absolutely nothing at all.

M as in Mancy
Apr 21, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Question: In a future run, I want my character to kill all the BoS without blowing up their base (his motivation is to be able to recover the technology, you see). Is it possible to win the fight against the Paladins if you refuse to accept their demands to strip naked and give them your weapons?

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Daionus the 23rd posted:

Question: In a future run, I want my character to kill all the BoS without blowing up their base (his motivation is to be able to recover the technology, you see). Is it possible to win the fight against the Paladins if you refuse to accept their demands to strip naked and give them your weapons?

Can't say I've ever tried but it's a broadly similar situation to the fight against the four outside the bunker in certain outcomes of Veronica's quest, I think, so I figure it's doable with the right loadout.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011
Speaking of fighting things, why are Abominations afraid of Flares and flashbangs?

Also ideas for game over quotes for New Vegas.

You have died, Courier.

Before Ring A Ding:
The wasteland claims your life and you never will find the man who had stolen the platinum chip from you.
You have died, the platinum chip's abilties will forever remain a mystery.

After Completing The House Always Wins
You have died. House has been wrong to place his trust in you.
You have died. A dream of the Old World returning to New Vegas forever beyond his grasp.
You fought valiantly, but the forces of the Bear and Bull crushed you and House. They will turn their eyes on the city before turning on one another. The Mojave now burns in their wrath.

After completing Render Unto Caesar
You have died. Caesar has made an example of you by crufixing your corpse at Legates' camp. A reminder of the price of failure.
You have died. Caesar can find others to do his bidding.
You fought valiantly but the NCR forces were too strong for you and the Legate, the Legion flees in terror and with it, hundreds of slaves left to die as they make the long brutal road back to Arizona. Your corpse among the many left for the crows.

After Completing For the Republic Part 2
You have died. The NCR cause wavers at your death.
You have died. The fate of the free people is now at the Legion's mercy
You fought valiant but the Legion has crushed you among the countless NCR soldiers along their warpath. They will soon rape, kill and loot the Mojave and eventually the ailing Republic. Thousands soon to be their slaves and subjects.

After Completing Wild Card: Finishing Touches
You have died. The rallying cry for independence forever lost.
You have died. Yes Man soon awaits another master to do their bidding
You fought valiant but to no avail. The fight for freedom forever lost to the NCR and the Legion. They will turn their eyes on New Vegas before turning on one another. The Mojave now burns forever in their wrath.

gyrobot fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Dec 28, 2012

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Daionus the 23rd posted:

From what I recall, the Thermic Lance is insanely good at killing paladins. (It ignores DR and DT.) But the vendor most likely to have them in stock is the BoS vendor. So you may want to do some BoS quests to the point where you can buy a thermic lance, then just go on a killing spree with your giant killer can opener.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Dec 28, 2012

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

gyrobot posted:

Speaking of fighting things, why are Abominations afraid of Flares and flashbangs?

Because monsters fear fire.

Squirl
Aug 8, 2004
You're lucky I couldn't think of anything better
Edit: I meant to post this in the New Vegas Modding thread.

Squirl fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Dec 28, 2012

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.

Daionus the 23rd posted:

The Pulse gun from Vault 34 will turn most of the Brotherhood troops into little more than a bloatfly-esque annoyance for you.

frameshift
Feb 28, 2008

Daionus the 23rd posted:

I do this in any run where I'm going to blow up the bunker so I can get all their sweet loot. The first room is the hardest because you'll have to deal with 4 or 5 at once. With good sneaking and some quick mine placement I can do them and then the rest of the bunker with a sniper rifle if I can get consistent headshots. You should be rolling in Gauss rifles after the first fight though, and if you need to you can take over the turrets on the first level for a little more help.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Hank Morgan posted:

The Pulse gun from Vault 34 will turn most of the Brotherhood troops into little more than a bloatfly-esque annoyance for you.

If you are Unarmed so will the appropriately named Paladin Toaster.

In fact for I Could Make you Care, just give Veronica that and she will pretty much punch them a new rear end in a top hat

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

Merry Magpie posted:

Transcript below:
(Alien Babble)
aerial vehicles.
(Alien Babble)
(Alien Babble)
(Alien Babble)

Clearly he dies before giving up the codes.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Hank Morgan posted:

Vault 34 is much harder than a couple of lameass paladins.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

half the thread posted:

Why is Steam trying to download New Vegas all over again?

I think it's because Steam can now forcibly convert NCF games to ACF games (the kind you can install to a partition other than the one Steam's on). It has to verify every file associated with it, and does it through the download API.

If I'm not the only one with an appmanifest_22380.acf file in steamapps, then that's what it did to New Vegas.

(But the GECK still isn't so I wouldn't move FNV yet if you use the GECK.)

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Dec 28, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

thrakkorzog posted:

From what I recall, the Thermic Lance is insanely good at killing paladins. (It ignores DR and DT.) But the vendor most likely to have them in stock is the BoS vendor. So you may want to do some BoS quests to the point where you can buy a thermic lance, then just go on a killing spree with your giant killer can opener.

You can find them on Legion assassins, even at fairly low levels.