Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I decided to skip the 6 network AI with the Geth Soldier to get 3 hunter mode and I like it. It's not set-and-forget like other geths (I mean I guess you could but you kind of waste the durability of the class) but its charge time is quick enough to turn off and on if you want to see around corners or you're in a relatively safe spot or you want to quickly finish off an Atlas/Prime/bored Banshee. Stuff really melts and your hunter mode bonus is applied to burning (even if you turn hunter mode off).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X_ThePerfect
Jul 31, 2010
I decided to take advantage of my new PC and the fact that this was cheap, and now have this on PC. Coming from the PS3 version - goddamn does this game look infinitely better now.

I do really miss my Hurricane (Even though it was only at I), but I'm having fun going through with my crappy unlocks and trying out weapons and classes that I wouldn't have touched before. I can't believe I didn't try the Drell Adept sooner, it is stupidly fun to play, I just wish he got the same teleport ninja dodges as the slayer.

Is it still worth buying Veteran packs for a while to get some weapon mods before going for rares in PSPs?

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

X_ThePerfect posted:

I decided to take advantage of my new PC and the fact that this was cheap, and now have this on PC. Coming from the PS3 version - goddamn does this game look infinitely better now.

I do really miss my Hurricane (Even though it was only at I), but I'm having fun going through with my crappy unlocks and trying out weapons and classes that I wouldn't have touched before. I can't believe I didn't try the Drell Adept sooner, it is stupidly fun to play, I just wish he got the same teleport ninja dodges as the slayer.

Is it still worth buying Veteran packs for a while to get some weapon mods before going for rares in PSPs?

The drell adept is brilliant, I kind of miss the reave bug though, it was intensely annoying. :3:

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

X_ThePerfect posted:

Despite being uncommon, you'll have the best shot of getting the uncommon weapon mods with regular spectres instead of veterens or PSP's. Buy those once you get your common mods unlocked.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

I started buying the Reserves Packs to unlock the characters that I'm still missing, and I'm getting a lot more Gear out of them than I was from the other packs. Haven't tried the Arsenal packs yet, so I can't say if they are the same.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Flamer is usable to solo Platinum without extreme amounts of kiting.

balistafreak
Oct 30, 2012

precision posted:

Flamer is usable to solo Platinum without extreme amounts of kiting.

Flamer is just preposterously good, though.

On topic: for the level 4, damage or range? 5 meters makes a huge difference, I've found, and I prefer being able to apply the damage from either a safer position or to hit the entirety of a large incoming group and get them burning-stunned rather than taking the extra damage and then having to wait awkwardly for them to clear those last 5 meters.

About Reserves packs: I've been looking desperately for an N7 Slayer since I ever started playing this game - it was actually a video of the Slayer in action that convinced me to buy it. I've bought heaps of regular Spectres because apparently those have a better rate of Ultra Rares, but now with the Reserves packs I'm not sure. Which has a better chance of ultra-rare characters?

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

balistafreak posted:

I've been looking desperately for an N7 Slayer since I ever started playing this game - it was actually a video of the Slayer in action that convinced me to buy it.
:smuggo:

EDIT: The Slayer isn't an ultra-rare, just a rare, but no one's quite yet sure how the percentages are different between Reserves/Arsenals/PSPs and frankly I don't trust biower not to have buggered the math. Just keep spamming the packs, you'll get it eventually.

Elotana fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Dec 27, 2012

Lynx
Nov 4, 2009

balistafreak posted:

About Reserves packs: I've been looking desperately for an N7 Slayer since I ever started playing this game - it was actually a video of the Slayer in action that convinced me to buy it. I've bought heaps of regular Spectres because apparently those have a better rate of Ultra Rares, but now with the Reserves packs I'm not sure. Which has a better chance of ultra-rare characters?

The Slayer is just a Rare, not Ultra Rare. For gold level stuff, PSPs are better than regular SPs, however if you want characters go for Reserve Packs.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

balistafreak posted:

On topic: for the level 4, damage or range? 5 meters makes a huge difference, I've found, and I prefer being able to apply the damage from either a safer position or to hit the entirety of a large incoming group and get them burning-stunned rather than taking the extra damage and then having to wait awkwardly for them to clear those last 5 meters.

I vastly prefer range myself.
The damage is good enough as it is, and range really makes it a lot more versatile.
I do run my Geth Trooper with a Reegar which takes care of anything with Shields / Barriers / Health, so I mostly use the flamer for armored targets (i.e. bosses) which I can go hog wild on from quite a distance that way. It's also super useful to just tag an entire spawn quickly for teammates to detonate some Fire Explosions.

I wouldn't say that there's a clear right or wrong choice here because it depends on your play style, but I think range makes the flamer a tad more versatile.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

I used to take damage over range and since switching I strongly prefer the range. It let's you keep a safer distance from sync-killers and more importantly it will usually let you catch extra enemies with the flamer which adds much more to your overall DPS output than and extra 30% additive bonus.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

To me the range/damage evo depends on whether you're taking Hunter Mode or not. If you're running the full tank build then you can take plenty of licks, so you might as well go for max damage.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Here's a tip for all you guys.

The asari heavy melee will kill abominations and knock them far enough away that you don't get hit by the explosion. I use this all the time if there are no other enemies nearby.

This does not apply to possessed abominations. It especially does not apply to possessed abominations when the entire team is standing right next to one and nobody has a medi-gel remaining. Just thought I would give a heads up on that.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
When I'm playing a Batarian, Slayer, or Shadow, I always feel like I'm on Possessed Abomination Duty, since all their heavy melees decapitate (and thus defuse). Unfortunately, pubbies do not see it that way. :smith:

Especially with Batarians, I'm starting to see people treat the Falcon Punch as the new Stasis. "Hey, that thing's holding still so it's easy for me to shoot it. In the body. Repeatedly. Because it's not clearly already dead and just waiting to technically die with a bunch of tiny saw blades in its face." I can punch someone's face off. How would you deny yourself seeing that, nevermind waste my time, or even get me (and potentially the rest of the team) killed if it's a possessed abomination? Just why.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Felinoid posted:

How would you deny yourself seeing that, nevermind waste my time, or even get me (and potentially the rest of the team) killed if it's a possessed abomination? Just why.
Cheevos.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Elotana posted:

:smuggo:

EDIT: The Slayer isn't an ultra-rare, just a rare, but no one's quite yet sure how the percentages are different between Reserves/Arsenals/PSPs and frankly I don't trust biower not to have buggered the math. Just keep spamming the packs, you'll get it eventually.

I've found both Ultra Rare Volus but no N7 classes. Sometimes I think that they are the real ultra rares.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

Who can I use on Gold that doesn't need the most propping up with consumables? I've been very sparing with them, but have still used up all my favorites, second favorites, third favorites and now seem to have nothing but stabilizers, adrenaline packs and exploder rounds.

I need cash and don't want to farm, so who is you favorite robust Gold toon?

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Human Engineers have nice utilitarian powers that mesh well with many other classes and don't need consumables to do it as long as you're careful. Turian infiltrator doesn't need the help either if played well. Krogan vanguard too.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang posted:

Who can I use on Gold that doesn't need the most propping up with consumables? I've been very sparing with them, but have still used up all my favorites, second favorites, third favorites and now seem to have nothing but stabilizers, adrenaline packs and exploder rounds.

If you have any of the good multishot sniper rifles or any good shotgun your infiltrators are still really reliable without consumables. Kroguard, Fury, Geth Soldier, or Paladin are also really good even without consumables.

Cheap Vodka
Nov 4, 2008

COMPLETE. GLOBAL. CALIBRATION.
Seconding Turian Infiltrator. He's got the mobility and abilities to pretty much live forever. Pop stim packs whenever you think you're going to die and make a cloaked supply run whenever you need more ammo or stims. I like to spec cloak for more duration too so you have the flexibility to run through mobs and reposition if things get too dicey or to take point as the designated disarm guy for four device objectives.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

All good suggestions. I really love the krogaurd, but have never tried him on gold. Should I still ABC? Or do I need to be a little more careful since I'll be running low on consumables?

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Against most things that don't have sync-kills the Kroguard is close to immortal, especially if you get your rage up. Charge-melee or charge shoot depending on what you're hitting. Your only real concerns are charging into groups too big for you to handle and getting caught with sync kills, and really the only thing that changes from silver to gold is the former.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

If you want to be extra safe with your Kroguard then play Cerberus/Gold and take a Falcon to deal with Phantoms. You'd have to be deafblind to die with that combo.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

I use Asari Huntress on Gold against Reapers without any consumables. I just throw the Adaptive War Amp on Gear and I'm usually set. Dark Channel everything.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Geth Trooper is also pretty good without consumables, Vorcha sent or soldier is also good but you need to be smart about how many hits you can tank before going for cover.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
The Ghost is still the best bet IMO, you get stim packs 2 at a time on many maps and if you spec them for protection you get a ridiculous 2000 shields or something and some DR, the only way you'll die is if you get grabbed/sync killed or if lag prevents you from popping stims. Plus you have the flexibility of using shotguns or AR's and being effective with either kit.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Literally none of the kits "need" consumables on Gold. For the longest time I just never used them at all, until I realized "This poo poo isn't doing any good gathering dust".

This is even more true now that Gear exists.

The only consumables that actually change the game are +Shield and some Ammo+Power combos. Otherwise, it's just a matter of how fast you kill things, really.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
AP ammo does free up your choices in weapon mods if that is a concern, with a damage boost to boot.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

AP ammo does free up your choices in weapon mods if that is a concern, with a damage boost to boot.

Yep, but it's not going to make the difference between whether you survive a Gold match or not, is my point.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

precision posted:

Otherwise, it's just a matter of how fast you kill things, really.

precision posted:

Yep, but it's not going to make the difference between whether you survive a Gold match or not, is my point.

:confused:

Since even a single consumable can give you a large boost to damage and surviving Gold is a matter of how fast you kill things, then it might very well make the difference between whether you survive a Gold match or not. I agree that they aren't necessary, but they sure are helpful.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Perfectly Cromulent posted:

Since even a single consumable can give you a large boost to damage and surviving Gold is a matter of how fast you kill things, then it might very well make the difference between whether you survive a Gold match or not. I agree that they aren't necessary, but they sure are helpful.

No, not really. This is a mistake that pubbies make a lot, don't be a pubbie! Killing things quickly can in many situations make things harder, particularly on objective waves.

The hard cap on number of enemies present on the map at any time means that staying alive is much more important than killing enemies quickly. That's why I said that +Shield makes a big difference, but little else does.

If you stay alive long enough, as long as you're doing a nonzero amount of damage, you will finish the match. Doing lots of damage is not a guarantee that you won't be killed.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Killing more enemies faster is fine so long as you're not dying a lot too, and it's the main reason I use ammo and amps. Lots of pubbies make the mistake of rushing in like idiots, or camping like idiots and getting surrounded.

I disagree that weapon amps and ammo don't make a difference. If you're not doing enough damage you're dragging the match out and not pulling your weight if everyone else is kitted out, and every ammo type helps contribute to some degree (with incendiary/cryo/disruptor helping the team most with AOE).

UnknownMercenary fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Dec 28, 2012

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

precision posted:

No, not really. This is a mistake that pubbies make a lot, don't be a pubbie! Killing things quickly can in many situations make things harder, particularly on objective waves.

The hard cap on number of enemies present on the map at any time means that staying alive is much more important than killing enemies quickly. That's why I said that +Shield makes a big difference, but little else does.

If you stay alive long enough, as long as you're doing a nonzero amount of damage, you will finish the match. Doing lots of damage is not a guarantee that you won't be killed.

The words you highlighted were your own. I was trying to make some sense out of the seemingly contradictory statements made in your two previous posts.

I'm well aware of the enemy cap and how the spawn mechanics work. And, yes, proper positioning, target selection, and being able to tank enemy DPS are far more important than raw damage. Frankly, if you are completely clueless about those things, you won't survive in Gold with or without consumables. Though there are situations in which killing things too quickly can make things more difficult, there are just as many where being able to kill quickly will make things easier, especially when you are playing with people who can screw things up for you.

precision posted:

This is a mistake that pubbies make a lot, don't be a pubbie!

:jerkbag:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Perfectly Cromulent posted:

The words you highlighted were your own. I was trying to make some sense out of the seemingly contradictory statements made in your two previous posts.

OK. All I'm trying to do is step away from this thread's powergaming mentality and remind people that Gold isn't something to be afraid of, and backing that up by mentioning that I used to literally never use consumables at all, and I'm not even that good.

The way the original question was asked was pretty much "What class can I use to even have a chance on Gold without level IV consumables :ohdear:" and I'm just trying to put a little perspective back into the discussion.

Everything Is Viable On Gold.

e: My statement you seem to have had trouble with is when I said that +Shields help you survive Gold, and "everything else is a matter of how fast you kill things". I bolded that part of your post to make the point that surviving Gold, completing Gold, isn't dependent on Killing Stuff Fast. It's dependent on surviving. You said that surviving on Gold required you to do a lot of damage, which is just not true.

precision fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Dec 28, 2012

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

precision posted:

OK. All I'm trying to do is step away from this thread's powergaming mentality and remind people that Gold isn't something to be afraid of, and backing that up by mentioning that I used to literally never use consumables at all, and I'm not even that good.

The way the original question was asked was pretty much "What class can I use to even have a chance on Gold without level IV consumables :ohdear:" and I'm just trying to put a little perspective back into the discussion.

Everything Is Viable On Gold.

e: My statement you seem to have had trouble with is when I said that +Shields help you survive Gold, and "everything else is a matter of how fast you kill things". I bolded that part of your post to make the point that surviving Gold, completing Gold, isn't dependent on Killing Stuff Fast. It's dependent on surviving. You said that surviving on Gold required you to do a lot of damage, which is just not true.

Fair enough. Thanks for clarifying.

The best thing Gold newbies can probably do is play with other people who know what they are doing. Consumables are helpful, even low level ones, especially if you are new to Gold.

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon
As has been mentioned, good team synergy helps a ton to make Gold matches sail by quickly. A good combo train, biotic or tech, can cause serious damage quickly. Since combos aren't affected by consumables, you can do pretty well while saving your amps and ammo for your gun-heavy classes. On the flip side, though, if the team gets split up or sync-killed, soloing can really suck and take quite a while. Consumables help minimize the suck.

On Gold compared to Silver, enemies have about +50% extra health on average. Using a level 3 weapon amp and a level 3 ammo gives about +45 to 60% extra weapon damage, depending on your ammo. This means you can kill enemies like they're on Silver, which is a huge thing in minimizing time exposed to fire and really shines on big tanky boss enemies with huge HP pools. Even for a power-heavy class, +20% from level 1 amps / ammo makes a noticeable difference when shooting between casts at something like a Banshee, and level 1 ammo can do a great job closing the gap to 100% armor penetration when stacked with the weapon mod. Level 3 amp's +30% power damage gives a similar Silver-plated effect and has the benefit of being in a different slot from gun amps. Great for grenades, flamers, and Novaguards.

Does anyone know if you still get the 5x / 10x damage bonus from Disruptor / Phasic Rounds on shields regardless of the level of the ammo? Extra 500% / 1000% damage and popping through shield gates is super handy. I also think it applies to every pellet in a shotgun on the initial blast; I can easily one-shot cloak headshot shielded enemies with a Disruptor Ammo Wraith whereas it's more difficult with other ammo.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I have so many consumables that I can't get rid of them fast enough. I have some weird mental system where I have to stay above 18 for some types and 8 for others, mostly because I hate how the 7 looks in the Mass Effect font. I'm a weirdo.

Anyway, agreeing with the folks who say the best way to beat Gold is by attacking spawns. It's faster and more fun to play aggressively, so long as your teammates are not clueless and know what's up. Alternately, roll a Vanguard and attack all the spawns yourself! :v:

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

40 Proof Listerine posted:

Does anyone know if you still get the 5x / 10x damage bonus from Disruptor / Phasic Rounds on shields regardless of the level of the ammo? Extra 500% / 1000% damage and popping through shield gates is super handy. I also think it applies to every pellet in a shotgun on the initial blast; I can easily one-shot cloak headshot shielded enemies with a Disruptor Ammo Wraith whereas it's more difficult with other ammo.

Yes, but that bonus applies to the ammo power damage, not the weapon damage. So Phasic 1 does .05*10=.5 times your base weapon damage to shields and barriers. You don't get 10 times as much damage overall.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I couldn't find anything on the Bioware website or blob, is there no weekend event for this weekend? Or is it just some randomly generated goal where they didn't even bother to give it an Operation name and Flavor text this time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
They're taking this and the next couple of weeks off for the holidays.

• Locked thread